72 replies to this topic

#61 Max Zorin

Max Zorin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 04:55 PM

Fair enough, and I was just kidding about McG and Bay...they should never come near a Bond film! (Or, point of fact...ANY film)

As for Cuaron, he is an interesting choice, but the choice that excited ME the most was Chris Nolan - yet he seems to be the least mentioned by the fans here.

#62 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 05:05 PM

Fair enough, and I was just kidding about McG and Bay...they should never come near a Bond film! (Or, point of fact...ANY film)

As for Cuaron, he is an interesting choice, but the choice that excited ME the most was Chris Nolan - yet he seems to be the least mentioned by the fans here.

Can't say I've taken much notice in him either. I'm more open to who they choose for director rather than some of the other parts.

#63 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 06:55 PM

However, I still feel we will be surprised by both choices of Bond and director.

what makes you think that ? :)

If only to rely on history repeating itself.

Since the days of internet chat rooms and forum boards, which admittedly only captures TWODDLE and DAD as the last two Bonds to be made during this period, absolutely never did anyone correctly guess the next Bond director.

And going even further back, no one guessed that Dalton was to be the next Bond either, admittedly (again) this was not during any internet ability to quickly post news and speculation, but without an obvious choice of replacement, if Brosnan is to be replaced, and perhaps an "interesting route" for the new film, I doubt we're going to come up with anything even remotely close to the mark.

But I'm happy to keep guessing and reading other people's guesses.

#64 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 07:02 PM

However, I still feel we will be surprised by both choices of Bond and director.

what makes you think that ? :)

If only to rely on history repeating itself.

Since the days of internet chat rooms and forum boards, which admittedly only captures TWODDLE and DAD as the last two Bonds to be made during this period, absolutely never did anyone correctly guess the next Bond director.

And going even further back, no one guessed that Dalton was to be the next Bond either, admittedly (again) this was not during any internet ability to quickly post news and speculation, but without an obvious choice of replacement, if Brosnan is to be replaced, and perhaps an "interesting route" for the new film, I doubt we're going to come up with anything even remotely close to the mark.

But I'm happy to keep guessing and reading other people's guesses.

I think you could be right, Simon.

On the Dalton note...I always thought he came out of the blue, but I recently discovered in a People Magazine article -- the one with Pierce Brosnan on the cover "Take This Job and Shove It" -- the last paragraph says Cubby was seen attending a play of one Timothy Dalton and the word was Dalton was a "dark horse" candidate for the role.

I also remember the very first rumor out of the box on TWINE was that Robert Carlyle was going to play a villain. And, remember, TWINE was a "rumor" title, one that Eon even officially denied. So...you never know. :)

#65 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 08:29 PM

Phhh, who needs Chris Nolan and Alfonso Cuaron?  What this series needs is some McG!  MCG, people!  Or perhaps Micheal Bay.

No need for Americans, Max. There are plenty of terrific British directors out there, such as:

Paul W.S. Anderson
Danny Cannon
Simon West
Michael Winner

But if we must go for non-Brits, there's:

George P. Cosmatos
Jan de Bont
Renny Harlin
Irvin Kershner (did a great job with NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN - deserves a crack at an "official" Bond flick, IMO)
Rick Rosenthal
Ronny Yu

Heck, the list is endless. Or maybe Vic Armstrong could be promoted; or perhaps Pierce Brosnan could be given the chance to direct BOND 21 in return for donning the tux one more time. Purvis or Wade could do it - plenty of people move from writing to directing. Barbara Broccoli? Michael G. Wilson?

#66 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 08:31 PM

Purvis or Wade could do it

:) :)

May the day never come.

#67 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 08:53 PM

Phillip Noyce could do it well done! :)

#68 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 08:58 PM

I also remember the very first rumor out of the box on TWINE was that Robert Carlyle was going to play a villain. And, remember, TWINE was a "rumor" title, one that Eon even officially denied. So...you never know. :)

Absolutely, but I was just heading for the main headline grabbers.

Bond and director seem to be played closer to the chest.

Trouble is now that by the time any announcement is made, there won't be many names not to have been mentioned so some bright spark will turn up to say that he and he alone was the one to have guessed correctly. (He won't of course say that he also mentioned another 67 names in the run up....)

#69 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 01:09 AM

so some bright spark will turn up to say that he and he alone was the one to have guessed correctly. (He won't of course say that he also mentioned another 67 names in the run up....)

Can I be that bright spark!? :)

#70 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 01:21 AM

Phillip Noyce could do it well done! :)

His name really hasn't been mentioned as often as some of the others though, I've noticed. Maybe a bit too early to be sure though. I'd expect we'd have more director rumors soon.

#71 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 08:27 PM

what also interests me about this article is that they are reporting that the phone lines are burning up from agents who are pushing their eager actor clients for the role of James Bond. This contrasts with a bunch of actors claiming they aren't right or interested for the role ala Bana, Owen, Jackman and others. Shows how much interest there really is for the role and maybe by some of those who claim no interest. After all this is a huge franchise role--a legendary one.

#72 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 08:31 PM

Heck, the list is endless. Or maybe Vic Armstrong could be promoted; or perhaps Pierce Brosnan could be given the chance to direct BOND 21 in return for donning the tux one more time. Purvis or Wade could do it - plenty of people move from writing to directing. Barbara Broccoli? Michael G. Wilson?

Brosnan Directing a Bond would mean only one thing . That the series is finally over .

#73 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 08:43 PM

Brosnan Directing a Bond would mean only one thing . That the series is finally over .

:)