72 replies to this topic

#31 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 06:01 AM

Raimi is good at making his films fun. I love the Evil Dead series, but it's also far removed from Bond. Though I hear he's good at doing straight up drama too. Get a good director that can do both and you got a winner. From that list I'd say (as I said before) that Cauron is the best choice).

#32 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 10:55 AM

Hire Alfonso Cuaron is not good.
I heard bad thing

#33 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 12:38 PM

[quote name='M_Balje' date='7 August 2004 - 06:55'] Hire Alfonso Cuaron is not good.
I heard bad thing

#34 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 02:15 PM

Nice to see the news still flooding through.

However, I still feel we will be surprised by both choices of Bond and director.

#35 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 02:40 PM

However, I still feel we will be surprised by both choices of Bond and director.

what makes you think that ? :)

#36 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 03:33 PM

Nice to see the news still flooding through.

I think you could be right about that, Simon.

#37 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 05:13 PM

I doubt we're going to see one of these directors ever near the set of a Bond film. I'm sure MGM wants directors who are already working on billion dollar franchises, but EON want directors they control. On top of that, they want directors who are Commonwealth and not too independent so you can forget about these names. And a good thing too because I can't see any of the directors direct a Bond film.

EON have never let an American director close to a Bond film and I doubt it will happen now.

#38 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 05:32 PM

what makes you think that ? :)

The dicrectors chosen for James Bond films aren't always what fans expect, Agent76.

Take a look as Michael Apted for The World Is Not Enough for example, he was one such "surprise."

#39 Martin Aston

Martin Aston

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 06:32 PM

... Aside from the list of directors (good news!), was any one else put-off by the somewhat self-serving complaint by John Garnder that the movies now have nothing to do with the books?

Hasn't Gardner always been upset that his books weren't used for the films?

Wasn't he out of sorts over Benson replacing him?

Didn't I read somewhere that he was hired to write the script for the film that would follow Goldeneye, but was let go because EON wasn't happy with the story he was proposing?

Too bad the Wall Street Journal quoted someone who had an axe to grind.

#40 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 06:37 PM

I didn't see it as his totally complaining really, just stating how it is to him. Must want the films to perhaps come from the books.

#41 dr.doak

dr.doak

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 06:56 PM

My top choice is for Martin Campbell to return to the series. Just as when with DAF they decided to emulate Goldfinger and use it's director, now they should emulate GoldenEye and get it's director back. That previous time secured a big hit, so I think that is the way it very well may move. Also, though some people hate DAF or dislike it, I consider it quality and I think with this approach CR would have the same probable effect on fans, but it would be worth it. Also, getting Tina Turner back just as Shirley Bassey was brought back would be cool, imo. Anyway, it seemed last year as if he were being heavily considered, so it's very possible I think.

#42 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 07:01 PM

... Aside from the list of directors (good news!), was any one else put-off by the somewhat self-serving complaint by John Garnder that the movies now have nothing to do with the books?

I didn't see it as his totally complaining really, just stating how it is to him. Must want the films to perhaps come from the books.

#43 Max Zorin

Max Zorin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 07:33 PM

Bitter? Yes. Completely right, though? Absolutely.

#44 mythmunky

mythmunky

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 11:59 PM

I really like the idea of Cuaron for directing. I like Sam Raimi, but I don't know if he'd be good for Bond. Nolan though, he's right up there with Cuaron. That would be so amazing if they got him, although he still wouldn't be my first choice. My list for directors would be:

Darren Aronofsky (won't happen, but think about what he'd do with it)
Atom Egoyan (again, a very dark feel)
David Fincher (gritty)
Terry Gilliam (interesting, no?)
Quentin Tarantino (we all heard the rumours... I just wish they were true)

#45 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 12:18 AM

Hasn't Gardner always been upset that his books weren't used for the films?

Wasn't he out of sorts over Benson replacing him?

Didn't I read somewhere that he was hired to write the script for the film that would follow Goldeneye, but was let go because EON wasn't happy with the story he was proposing?

I suspect the Wall Street Journal would have much rather have quoted someone from Eon or MGM, but it seems the producers are sticking to their "no comment" policy for ALL media. What a mistake. All the articles we've seen lately (EW, Wall Street Journal, Variety) have had a VERY negative slant to them, and I suspect it's because the reporters have felt shut out (the in print EW article even says testily that "MGM would not return calls.") There is no faster way of getting on the wrong side of a story than by saying "we

#46 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 12:26 AM

I have to admit I was very surprised to hear the name Rob Bowman being bantied about. As a die hard X-Files fan, I am very familiar with Bowman's work, which is why I am surprised by him being on WSJ's short list to direct Bond 21.

As dark said, Bowman did direct some of the best TXF episodes, and he did do a good job with the movie Fight the Future. The only problem is while the movie was epic in feel, ALL the mytharc episodes from TXF had that feel to them, and I felt like I was watching a two hour TXF episode on a giagantic screen. In other words, there wasn't anything particularly cinematic about that film.

Also, The X-Files is heavily steeped in the Sci-Fi genre. All the action Mulder and Scully faced was courtesy of aliens and their human protectors. I am afraid if Bowman touches B21, we might see Bond looking for his missing half-sister, or being hunted down by a vast UK Government conspiracy. Does Bowman know how to direct a straight spy flick?

The only thing going for Bowman that I can see is, he has experience working with an executive producer (Chris Carter) that is a mega control freak. Carter would often rewrite scripts that were not his own, and make editorial changes until the last possible second. I think Carter would work well with Eon, so perhaps in that sense Bowman would know how to handle Broccoli and Wilson and still get his vision across, IF we ever saw any of Bowman's vision in the episodes of TXF he directed.

-- Barbara

#47 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 12:56 AM

As dark said, Bowman did direct some of the best TXF episodes, and he did do a good job with the movie Fight the Future. The only problem is while the movie was epic in feel, ALL the mytharc episodes from TXF had that feel to them, and I felt like I was watching a two hour TXF episode on a giagantic screen. In other words, there wasn't anything particularly cinematic about that film.

I felt that way, too, but there are several large set pieces in Fight the Future that are, in my mind, far more epic than anything attempted on the TV show: the bombing of the building in Dallas, the terrific helicopter chase through the cornfields, and particularly, the climactic sequence inside the UFO in Antarctica.

As for Bowman inserting far-fetched sci-fi-esque elements into a Bond film, I highly doubt it. That was just the nature of The X-Files. Like I said, the pilot of The Lone Gunmen spin-off, which Bowman directed, was a great action fare with no sci-fi elements.

#48 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 01:10 AM

I agree with you that The Lone Gunmen pilot was well done, but, that sort of conspiracy thinking may be OK for some spy movies, but not for Bond.

As to your points about some of the set pieces, as 24 has shown us, blowing up buildings and such can be done on TV if you have the right people backing you.

Sorry dark, I just can't approve of Rob for Bond.

-- B

#49 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 01:21 AM

>>What happened to the days when Eon was on top of their press and public relations in a MAJOR way? Do they even have a PR person anymore? What is going on in the house of Bond???<<

John....I'm not sure Eon *ever* has been on top of of their p.r. In his Commander Bond interview, Raymond Benson describes how Eon was hostile to his James Bond Bedside Companion project (where Raymond noted that Steven Jay Rubin received similar treatment). Eon has rarely, if ever, allowed journalists in for a detailed look. I get the impression that, during filming of movies, they bring in large groups who get little access and a lot of boilerplate.

In the 1980s, Eon kept quiet when there were reports that James Brolin had been signed (which turned out to be true, before Roger Moore came back for Octopussy). Eon also has never been a terribly fan-friendly organization. It only agreed to do fan conventions in 1994 and 1995 when the films had been on a long hiatus and Eon's back was against the wall concerning the future of the franchise.

#50 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 01:27 AM

No, no, each to their own.

I suppose another way of looking at it is Bowman managed to create hour-long cinematic episodes of TV on a TV budget. Throw a hundred and fifty million at him, and he has to come up with something grander than the most cinematic X-Files episode.

The problem with Fight the Future, if I may take a brief tangent, is that The X-Files, by nature, is a cinematic show. To try and top that for the big screen, which I felt, albeit in the minority, was ably done, is by no means an easy feat.

Same deal for 24, if that discussed 24 feature film ever gets made.

In any case, Bowman's certainly not my number one preference for the position, but if he were selected, I'd be very content with that choice.

#51 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 09:00 AM

Why would EON be interested in foreign directors all of a sudden? It makes no sense. When Brett Ratner (who directed Brosnan latest 'After the Sunset') wanted to helm 'Die Another Day', EON refused because he was American. EON wants Bond to stay British and prefer directors who are either British, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Australian or from New Zealand. This leaves us with Nolan, who is far too independent for EON, because he likes to write and direct his films. EON will never give a director free reign. MGM must know this, so that's why I'm confused with this article. Also, it still seems that fans here at CBN take these suggestions seriously. After a 40 year long run you guys must see a pattern for EON's director choices? None of the people on this list stand a chance. And personally I'm relieved with this. To found out more, go to Pick Your Bond 21 Director for a listing of directors who (in my book) are next in line.

#52 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 12:19 PM

Also, The X-Files is heavily steeped in the Sci-Fi genre.  All the action Mulder and Scully faced was courtesy of aliens and their human protectors.  I am afraid if Bowman touches B21, we might see Bond looking for his missing half-sister, or being hunted down by a vast UK Government conspiracy.  Does Bowman know how to direct a straight spy flick?

I'm not as familiar as you are with Bowman's work, Xen (I've only seen the X-FILES film), but I wonder why you wonder whether he's good for sci-fi and nothing else. True, there's a lot of sci-fi on his CV (which I checked out at the IMDb), but then again there's also..... uh, "Baywatch". :)

Seriously, though, I remember Bowman's name attached a few years ago to the endlessly-rumoured-and-never-actually-put-into-production DIE HARD 4, so it's no surprise to read it attached to another action franchise, Bond. Bowman seems to be a "jobbing" or "journeyman" director, a "hired gun" (as opposed to an "A-list" director, an auteur, etc.).

Of the directors listed, Bowman appears the closest match to the Eon profile. I'll wager he, Martin Campbell and Roger Spottiswoode regularly bump into each other at job interviews. :)

However, as crashdrive points out, he's American, and Eon hires UK/Commonwealth directors only. Of course, it's possible that they've decided to start looking at Americans as part of this "Great Rebooting of Bond" effort that seems to be underway. If so, I'm sure Bowman would be exactly the kind of Yank they'd interview.

Don't forget that Bond has gone sci-fi on occasions, most recently with DIE ANOTHER DAY. If that movie isn't packed with sci-fi elements, my name's Raymond Benson (and I'll be writing BOND 21).

Besides.... would you look at DIE ANOTHER DAY and the upcoming XXX 2 and conclude that Lee Tamahori is only fit for braindead action blockbusters? (ONCE WERE WARRIORS is the proof that he isn't.) And I'm sure you would never suggest that Pierce Brosnan is capable only of playing Bond-type roles. Why rule Bowman out because of Mulder and Scully?

Still, this "shortlist" is ridiculous. Not only that, but whoever cooked it up obviously didn't take the time to, as you put it in the States, "do the math". Christopher Nolan is busy shooting/putting the finishing touches to BATMAN BEGINS, and will be all the way through the production of BOND 21 (which this article claims will be released in November 2005). Come this time next year, when BOND 21 will have to be more or less done and dusted bar postproduction, he'll be running around like a bluearsed fly promoting BATMAN BEGINS.

Sam Raimi's James Bond? Yeah, sure. With Eric Bana in the lead, perhaps. I'm in total agreement with crashdrive here: this list is pure bunkum.

#53 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 01:40 PM

Bond fans may be surprised by the inclusion of Alfonso Cuaron. But this is not the first time Mr. Cuaron has been approached by producers. Eon eyed Cuaron for 1999's The World Is Not Enough before ultimately choosing Michael Apted.

Eh? Cuaron eyed for TWINE? Says who? :)

And I think it's more than a little bit rich for John Gardner, of all people, to complain that something has "nothing to do with the original Bond".

#54 mythmunky

mythmunky

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 02:45 PM

[quote name='Loomis' date='8 August 2004 - 12:19'] [quote name='Xenobia' date='8 August 2004 - 00:26'] Also, The X-Files is heavily steeped in the Sci-Fi genre.

#55 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 02:46 PM

Bond fans may be surprised by the inclusion of Alfonso Cuaron. But this is not the first time Mr. Cuaron has been approached by producers. Eon eyed Cuaron for 1999's The World Is Not Enough before ultimately choosing Michael Apted.

And I think it's more than a little bit rich for John Gardner, of all people, to complain that something has "nothing to do with the original Bond".

I'd be interested to know the exact people they eyes for The World Is Not Enough. AS Apted was not the obvious choice, and this is the first I heard of Cuaron for it.

#56 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 04:33 PM

Hehe...I was waiting for someone to notice this. This is info I've had in my back pocket for a few years now. In my travels throughout Hollywoodland I hear loads of interesting nuggets of Bond info (I knew Rick Yune had been cast as Zao 4 months before he was announced). When I saw Cuaron on this list, I suddenly remembered this particular nugget. One of the reasons I wanted to write this article is I could drop my little Cuaron factoid. Just another way CBn brings you news

#57 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 04:38 PM

Hehe...I was waiting for someone to notice this. This is info I've had in my back pocket for a few years now.

Wow. I guess that means that Eon isn't exclusively interested in UK/Commonwealth directors after all. :)

Oh, and, er, feel free to keep such nuggets of info coming, zen. :)

#58 Max Zorin

Max Zorin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 04:42 PM

Phhh, who needs Chris Nolan and Alfonso Cuaron? What this series needs is some McG! MCG, people! Or perhaps Micheal Bay.

#59 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 04:46 PM

Alfonso Cuaron seems to be an interesting choice, Max Zorin. I doubt they'll choose him, but good to see the name mentioned.

#60 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 04:55 PM

Oh, and, er, feel free to keep such nuggets of info coming, zen. :)

I have a personal policy of not reporting or posting things I hear about Bond gathered when I'm out there in my "real life" as a screenwriter. That's a conflict of interest, and a betrayal of trust. If I ever say anything, I'll wait until we are a few movies down the line before I'll reminisce about what I heard back when (and a lot of things I