This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

GoldenEye's best 'secret' levels

33 replies to this topic

Poll: The better GoldenEye secret level is?

The better GoldenEye secret level is?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 12:29 AM

Thought this might be an interesting topic, and this refers to the main missions.
My choice would be the Aztec Complex. The most challenging, fairly well laid out and just an all around good level.

#2 Broncostar44

Broncostar44

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 01:09 AM

Aztek was a very fun level, Just like all the rest in goldeneye.

#3 Gabe Vieira

Gabe Vieira

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3873 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 02:08 AM

Well, the developers of James Bond 007 in Everything or Nothing seamed to like the "Aztec Complex" level so much they made it and entire three levels in their game :)

#4 Janus Assassin

Janus Assassin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1898 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 02:15 AM

For me it is Egyptian. It gave a creepy feeling to the level. Such as the music and how it got darker and darker as you defeated Baron Samedi each time, I also found the puzzle to the Golden Gun bewildering. As it was dark, guards would just pour out. And the hidden doors, the level seemed like a mystery level to me almost like a dream. It took me a year and a half to get to Egyptian, it only took me 4 months to get to Aztec. I like the Aztec, but I prefer Egyptian any time.

#5 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 02:43 AM

Both superb levels, but my vote goes to Aztec. It's all laid out very well and it ties into the film, Moonraker, very well. Oh, and lazers are cool. Very cool. :)

Egyptian is a fun level, but doesn't make much sense. Baron Samedi has obtained the golden gun and for some reason has a bunch of Russian soldiers protecting him in an Egyptian temple. Factual errors aside, it lacks the fun of the Aztec stage. Whilst it's amusing to mow down endless Russian baddies with the ZMGs and the golden gun, that's moreorless all there is to the level, once you obtain the golden gun.

Plus, Aztec has lazers. :)

#6 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 02:52 AM

Fine points by all. Egyptian Temple just seems top be thrown together, and there really is nothing to it once you find the way to Baron Samedi's final location. It appears great at first, but turns out slightly mediocre. I still like it of course.

#7 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 10:25 AM

Egyptian all the way. Far more interesting and fun to complete. Aztec can be quite a pain with all those drone guns and having to go back and forth sticking this disk in here and that tape in there. The puzzle in Egyptian can be annoying but at least once you know it, you never forget it. I recently went back to the game after a break from it of two years and was surprised that I still knew the puzzle.

#8 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 01:48 PM

Egyptian all the way. Far more interesting and fun to complete. Aztec can be quite a pain with all those drone guns and having to go back and forth sticking this disk in here and that tape in there. The puzzle in Egyptian can be annoying but at least once you know it, you never forget it. I recently went back to the game after a break from it of two years and was surprised that I still knew the puzzle.

Don't you think it's kind of more challenging to have those irritating drone guns and the discs to deal with in Aztec Tanger? The one thing odd about both levels is the never ending guards.

#9 Janus Assassin

Janus Assassin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1898 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 04:54 PM

I honestly think they should have had two more bonus levels. One with Oddjob and the other with Mayday. But like I said I prefer Egyptian. The Aztec is cool because you can gun down unlimited guards with the lasers. But I like the hidden passages and the creepiness of Egyptian. I dont really care if it didn't make sense. Those guards were Baron Samedi's guards. Notice before you got the Golden Gun, that there were only a handful of them. The level was designed as a duel between Bond and Samedi.

#10 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 04:55 PM

I honestly think they should have had two more bonus levels. One with Oddjob and the other with Mayday.

Most definitely. The Citadel, which we can now see with Gameshark (:)) and then the mentioned Cathedral rumor might have made a good one.

#11 Janus Assassin

Janus Assassin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1898 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 05:14 PM

Yea I want a Gameshark because they are probably cheap now because I didn't want to spend $50-60 on one when the N64 was still popular. I've been looking but I can't find one.

#12 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 05:17 PM

Yea I want a Gameshark because they are probably cheap now because I didn't want to spend $50-60 on one when the N64 was still popular. I've been looking but I can't find one.

Very rare now I gather. I got mine years ago for about $15.00

#13 Agent_OO7

Agent_OO7

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 11:52 PM

I prefer the Aztec

#14 blofeld123

blofeld123

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 11:30 PM

I love the complex in multiplayer. There are so many secret walls there to hide in.
my friends couldn't find me for 30 minutes then i finnally showed them. :)

#15 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 01:14 AM

Not the same level, but I know exactly what you mean.

#16 Bond_Bishop

Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 12:16 PM

I like the Egyptian Temple best.

#17 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 12:23 PM

Ah, this thread. It's more one sided than I thought.

#18 BMT-216A

BMT-216A

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 02:32 PM

aztec all the way! moonraker was great and making a level out of it was an awesome idea! it has a bit of everything in it, and music is very good
but i reckon the last level should have been in the fun house with scaramanga OR maybe in the volcano with blofeld (or some other level with blofeld, i mean come on, hes in 4-5 bond movies, but not in this game?!)

#19 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 02:36 PM

I'm willing to bet Blofeld wasn't featured in the game due to possible problems with Never Say Never Again's Kevin McClory. Think about it, even in GoldenEye Rogue Agent, the character isn't actually called Blofeld.

#20 The Richmond Spy

The Richmond Spy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:41 PM

You have to go with Aztec. I feel like I am in Moonraker playing this level.

On a side note, when I was younger and didn't know about the other Bond movies, these two secret levels made me curious. If not for these, I'm not sure I ever would have explored the previous ones with much effort. I'd love to see a game of just secret levels!

#21 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:47 PM

It'd be nice to see even more of them featured in the newer Bond games.

#22 The Richmond Spy

The Richmond Spy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:52 PM

I know thats near the top of my list for features I want in a game, even if it were only for multiplayer or something (though preferably a mission itself). <Sigh>

#23 ThunderhearT

ThunderhearT

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 179 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:11 PM

Aztec is far better than the egyptian level - although i enjoyed both

#24 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:14 PM

I know thats near the top of my list for features I want in a game, even if it were only for multiplayer or something (though preferably a mission itself). <Sigh>

Who knows. Maybe Activision will suprise us all with what they have in mind for future Bond games.

#25 Tiin007

Tiin007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:48 PM

Aztec is way better. This may sound stupid to say about a video game, but I love the "scenery." It is by far the coolest looking level in the entire game, and there is the perfect amount of enemies.

#26 The Richmond Spy

The Richmond Spy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 03:39 AM

Aztec is way better. This may sound stupid to say about a video game, but I love the "scenery." It is by far the coolest looking level in the entire game, and there is the perfect amount of enemies.

You're definitely not alone. I absolutely love that level!

#27 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 05:54 PM

The only one i can choose is the 'Aztec complex' since i cannot play on the Egyptian level for some reason. :cooltongue:

#28 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 05:55 PM

hmm...that's random. :cooltongue:

#29 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 06:11 PM

You have to go with Aztec. I feel like I am in Moonraker playing this level.

On a side note, when I was younger and didn't know about the other Bond movies, these two secret levels made me curious. If not for these, I'm not sure I ever would have explored the previous ones with much effort. I'd love to see a game of just secret levels!

This would be a really cool idea. Do it kind of like Rainbow Six: Covert Ops Essentials, but rather than the second disc being extra levels, have it scan your memory card (or hard drive for PC and XBOX users) and if it finds a save from the first disc, you can load it and get the secret levels of Bond lore.

#30 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:49 PM

The only one i can choose is the 'Aztec complex' since i cannot play on the Egyptian level for some reason. :cooltongue:

You need to have beaten every level on 00-Agent to get access to Egyptian.