This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

A UNITED EUROPE COULD SPELL THE END OF 007 ?

34 replies to this topic

#31 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 08:40 AM

The last time someone tried to unite europe sixty million people died. Taking over Europe by economic hegemony is even worse, as people won't notice all their history is going down the drain until they are one totalitarian state controlled by US corporations.

I'd like to see the countries keep their identities and currency (though I never understood the point in those really, really, small ones with funny names).

#32 Sir James

Sir James

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 01:27 PM

I see this as a serious problem. I think it would aleinate Bond fans outside Europe. It would not make other countries feel as involved, and we US fans may find our own secret agent.

#33 boeserzwilling

boeserzwilling

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 08:52 PM

I LOVE EUROPE!

We all know how how Europe looked like 50 years ago.
Now we have free trade and free travel in the EU. It just makes sense to have one currency. I've seen a lot of places in Europe and I'm just fed up with paying fees to banks for changing money. When I went to Barcelona I needed at least three different currencies. That sucked!
We are one Europe and I want to live it!
You won't lose your national identity because of a new currency! It's the people, the language, arts, architecture, landscapes, etc. that make a country! Europe will never lose its versatility.
National security interests are the last thing that will be united, if they ever will.
Bond will stay British! Don't be afraid!

GENERAL KOSKOV: Never compare WWII and the Holocaust to the efforts of the EU again! That's ridiculous! Hitler never intended to unite Europe! Think before typing!!!

#34 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 09:01 PM

Remember Bonds mother is Swiss, I love Fleming, the problem is solved I think, 007 can be an agent of Europe, but still remain British.

#35 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 09:50 PM

Hitler never intended to unite Europe? I think you should think before typing.

Sir James, why will a EuroBond alienate Americans? Bond works for the very first country that Americans fought against, so if they don't feel alienated already, EuroBond won't put them off.

And YOLT has a good point, Bond is half-Swiss so a EuroBond isn't all that strange. Still, I hope the UK never bows down to the EU. That'll make Canada, Australia, New Zeland, and others colonies of the EU! And then I'd have to shoot myself, and that wouldn't sit well with me.