#31 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 23 May 2002 - 12:11 AM

david0007 (22 May, 2002 09:35 p.m.):
Remember, British actors do not share in any residue income only until recently. So unlike his American counterpart, he cannot benefit financially from the success of the films.

Actually, isn't PB a member of SAG? It's why he would have still been able to film Bond 20 even if the British screen acting guild had gone on strike. So he has been getting royalties all along in addition to salary. Suffice to say I'm sure he's being well paid for Bond 20, otherwise he wouldn't exactly be eager to do 21.

And like Ray T, I'm just looking forward to the movie.

MBE (just noticed I'm still calling DAD, Bond 20.... ooops... old habits die hard... or maybe just another day)

#32 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 10:26 PM

DavidFries (20 May, 2002 05:53 a.m.):
I wasn't trying to assign any negative motives to Mr. Brosnan, I was just wondering aloud..... not even aloud really, cause you couldn't hear me..... I probably didn't even say it..... how do you know what I thought?..... oh yeah, the internet.......... strange thing that........

I gotcha, I gotcha....the tone of voice is lost on the Internet...oh well...

-- Xenobia

#33 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 23 May 2002 - 03:59 AM

I am not delusional...I know that Pierce did not start franchise, and that he is the franchise *right now* but will not be so forever.

But I do reserve the right to stand up and say that we are about as far from "Grandpa" Bond as we are ever going to get. Brosnan will look fifty when he is sixty -- and that's not for another ten years.

We are looking at Brosnan doing at most two more...and that's only five years away. He will still look and be very good in the role of Bond, otherwise *he* will not do it. That's the kind of actor he is.

I also feel the need to address this idea of other talent: show me where there is someone who stands out the way Pierce Brosnan did as "The Next James Bond" and I might argue that Pierce needs to watch when he negoitates. I see no one around.

He won't get greedy because he is not a greedy man. That being said, if he wants thirty million for the next movie...he should get it.

-- Xenobia

#34 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 11:22 PM

I know the film. :) Just kidding. ;d

#35 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 21 May 2002 - 10:57 PM

with respect to the money issue:

He should not get TOO GREEDY!

WHY?

1...No one seems to want to pay him anywhere near as what he would get offered for bond 21, and after that maybe bond 22.

2...He's dumping money into to Irish Dream Time and he needs to do Bond to keep dumping money into it

3...his last few movies ex-bond have been box office "stiffs" (apart from TCA) and no one seems to be buying him BOX OFFICE WISE other that bond.

As far as i am concerned, Eon and Danjaq are holding the cards because time is against brosnan...plus theres cheaper talent (and VERY GOOD FRESH TALENT) "chomping at the bit"

#36 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 22 May 2002 - 09:50 PM

Pierce Brosnan is the bloke who is playing James Bond at the moment. The important thing is James Bond, not Pierce Brosnan. The series will continue beyond him, with someone else who may be just as competent. The queues for Die Another Day will be for the latest James Bond film, not the latest Pierce Brosnan film.

I'm neither pro nor anti. He's just there. If he gets too greedy, he won't be there any more. Someone else will be there. Fin.

#37 david0007

david0007

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 May 2002 - 08:35 PM

ray t (21 May, 2002 11:57 p.m.):
with respect to the money issue:

He should not get TOO GREEDY!

Is he greedy? Let's get some rough figures! He got $2m for GE, $6m for TND, $10m for TWINE, total is $18m. Total gross for three films are more than one billion, assuming another billion for all ancillary income, that will be 1.8 billion. So Mr Brosnan is getting a meagre 0.9% of total gross, ie. less than one percent!
Remember, British actors do not share in any residue income only until recently. So unlike his American counterpart, he cannot benefit financially from the success of the films.
Doing a Bond movie demands twice to treble amount of time than normal films, and including promotion, that takes a whole year, and it's physically demanding.
Now the franchise is still in a healthy state, it still enjoys an extremely high budget, a good time slot for release, and is the most watched clip in Yahoo movie (for those who worries about public awareness of DAD)The franchise is now worth more than a billion in goodwill. If the dudes in MGM suddenly feel they don't want to make further Bond movies, they can sell their rights to others who wants to make the movie and pocket an extra one billion net. These are all the massive financial gain that he has in part contributed.
So is he greedy? OR is he a parasite to the franchise as some may imply?

2...He's dumping money into to Irish Dream Time and he needs to do Bond to keep dumping money into it!

He made the money so why can't he spend it in whatever way he likes?
And for your info, most star production company gets allowances from studio for its day-to-day running cost, in return studio gets the first look deal, because stars are individuals, unlike company, they do not have billion in credit line and can't really afford to *dump money*. Production company only means star gets a greater share in back-end, so if the film is a financial success, they can get more which serves as an incentive for them to make a better movie.

3...his last few movies ex-bond have been box office "stiffs" (apart from TCA) and no one seems to be buying him BOX OFFICE WISE other that bond.

Last few ex-bond???
Second last is TCA which is no doubt a commerical and critical success.
Last one is Tailor which is lauded critically.
http://members.tripo...OP/reviews.html
Tailor opened in 199 screens and grossed 2m with a zero marketing budget,and the pre-release estimate was 0.5m. It was another classic case of mishandling by studio. It was a small budget film and a gross of 14m domestic isn't any shame.
FYI, some so called mega star box office aren't any better boxoffice-wise even at 15x more screens:
Bruce Willis, Hart's War-19m at 2800,
Jim Carrey , Majestic-25m at 2500
Nicolas Cage, Captain Corelli's Mandolin- 25m at 1600

For overseas, Tailor has same zero marketing budget, and showing in at least 2/3 less screens in some countries while almost no show in the other countries, and 14m in limited release isn't too bad.
Again FYI, just give one example is enough:
Mel Gibson-We were soldiers - 18m at wide release.

It seems like he is making similar numbers as those mega stars even under extreme disadvantageous and deprived situations.

And his upcoming film 'Evelyn' will not make any wave in box office. But it's less than 10m in budget and can easily recover all cost plus a good profit. It is the small character piece that Brosnan always wants and also a film which has particular meaning to him for years. I respect him for taking on less traditional and/or safe roles.

As far as i am concerned, Eon and Danjaq are holding the cards because time is against brosnan...

That's becasue he has contributed his time, his prime and his charm to James Bond, and time is against him, of course, who won;t get older? But he has still ten years ahead of him post bond. And aside from your bean counter mind, there are always people who belives quality matters as much if not more than quantity.

P.S. I wonder why there is such a sudden surge in negative attacks on Brosnan. Expect more.:)

#38 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 11:30 PM

Does the title of this thread remind anyone else of Homer Simpson's 'Table Five' song sung to the tune of 'Stayin' Alive'? ;d

#39 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 23 May 2002 - 06:38 AM

Xenobia (23 May, 2002 04:59 a.m.):

But I do reserve the right to stand up and say that we are about as far from "Grandpa" Bond as we are ever going to get. Brosnan will look fifty when he is sixty -- and that's not for another ten years.

-- Xenobia

The art of the dermatome.

#40 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 09:10 AM

HUGH JACKMAN
RUSSEL CROWE...outsider but he could pull it off if he wanted to
GUY PEARCE...ditto as fellow ausie russel
EWAN McGREGOR
ADRIAN PAUL...a dead ringer for sean connery
CLIVE OWEN...a dead ringer for sean connery as well
JUDE LAW
CHRISTIAN BALE (american psycho)
JEREMY NORTHAM
COLIN FIRTH

xenobia, MBE, et al...any preference from the above?

Hugh Jackman's an aussie as well. But you probably know that, interesting 3 aussies. And so many people hate Lazenby. And he was in argueably the best film! I think GL did a good job, so lets leave that.

But i don't see russell crowe doing it. Even Fleming's Bond was smoother than RC. He'd be perfect for Andy McNab's Nick Stone though. Guy Pearce, i can't really see doing it. Too fragile looking. Adrian Paul, Now this guy could do it. I never used to think so till i got hooked watchin highlander, this guy IS connery not a ringer. They should get him. Everyone else is just the media's idea. There all to whimpy Jeremy Northam was only laughable as his "bond" character in the net to me. And the producers will NEVER higher an american. If thats the case and they go that way they need to look at Dylan McDermant.