39 replies to this topic

#1 DavidFries

DavidFries

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 04:19 AM

I just found this article, and this seemed like the best location to post it. It's interesting that the author refers to Brozzy's 50th birthday, even though it's actually his 49th, as has been discussed elsewhere.

Here it is:

Brosnan Not Yet Ready to Surrender Bond Crown
Sat May 18,12:27 PM ET
By Paul Majendie

CANNES, France (Reuters) - Pierce Brosnan is not ready to surrender his crown quite yet -- he wants to make another James Bond movie.

"Number Five still appeals," he told Reuters Television on Saturday after flying into the Cannes film festival (news - web sites) for a spectacular party night to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the world's most successful spy films.

Brosnan, dubbed Billion Dollar Bond by the production company after the box office success of his first three Bond movies, is currently filming his fourth -- "Die Another Day" -- with Oscar winner Halle Berry.

"Would I do another one? I'd do another one, yes," said the actor who has so enthusiastically stepped into the role first filled back in 1962 by elegant lady-killer Sean Connery in "Dr No."

Asked to sum up the perennial appeal of Bond, the Irish actor said: "It's the women, the gadgets, the sex, the romance, the fantasy world, the ultimate hero."

More than half the world's population has seen a James Bond movie and Brosnan, who has been celebrating his 50th birthday this week, is phlegmatic about having of one of the most recognizable faces on the planet.

"It is an interesting character to live with because he precedes you wherever you go in the world. You are internationally known. It makes traveling very easy," he said, gazing out at the Mediterranean from an exclusive hotel in Cap d'Antibes. The elegant setting would not be out of place in a Bond movie.

Playing the role has never been a burden for Brosnan. "I will always be known as one of the Bonds. So you make peace with that and I'm very proud of it," he said.

"As an actor, to go on and burst through that -- that is the challenge. How do you redefine yourself having taken on this mantle of a character. That one can mess with your head sometimes."

But by setting up his own production company and branching out on his own, Brosnan has avoided the danger of forever being typecast as Bond. That is why he is still clearly at ease with the role even if "there are guys out there chomping at the bit" to step into his shoes.

In his infectious enthusiasm for all things Bond, Brosnan said: "You have to give 100 percent every time whether it's your first time or your fourth."

And Brosnan, who is celebrating the 40th anniversary in style Saturday night at the world's most famous film festival, is a hard-headed realist about how tough it is to keep the role fresh.

"It is a lot different from the days of 'Dr No' and Sean Connery. Those (Ian Fleming) books were written for adults and those movies were made for adults. These films have changed somewhat but yet it's the same. The audience is even wider and the competition is even greater."

#2 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 25 May 2002 - 06:49 AM

Okay, take all the above choices. Give them the same screen tests. There. You have the perfect Bond. Until he screws up or gets too old. Also, don't hire the one that says: 'I don't think I could handle Bond'. Right. Bond is the thousand year old hero that only one man can play. But I respect the actor who doesn't play Bond with good reason.

#3 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 25 May 2002 - 06:40 AM

ray t (24 May, 2002 04:53 a.m.):
oh...another thing, the 6 - 8 year-olds who have seen the teaser trailer on jamesbond.com on my street CAN HARDLY WAIT TILL NOVEMBER for me to take them to see Die Another Day on opening weekend!

Bond is for everyone...fun for the whole family :)

Well I remember way back when I was 6 or 8, everyone over 20 was about the same age to me, old, so I guess it doesn't matter to that group how old Bond is. LOL

So OK, let's have some fun and look at the list:

RUSSEL CROWE: Too crude, can't even pull off wearing a tux at the Oscars. Not to mention he's rude, violent and tempermental and the Bond people wouldn't put up with him and he'd be a nightmare for public relations. (Oh look, Bond just gave us the finger!) And he makes too much money and I don't think he'd sign a 3 movie contract, ever.

GUY PEARCE: Really liked him in L.A. Confidential (more than Crowe) and Pricilla Queen Of The Desert. Quite versatile but would really really have to put on some weight as well as muscle, he looks emasciated now, almost as if his bones were about to tear through his skin.

EWAN McGREGOR- cute but too short. Maybe he can replace Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible. ;-) (that goes for Dougray Scott as well)

ADRIAN PAUL- too old by your own account, born in 1959, just turned 43. Oh and the fact that he always sounds like he has marbles in his mouth and cdn't act his way out of a wet paper bag make him a no no.

CLIVE OWEN- Liked him a lot in the series Second Sight, is quite talented and has sex appeal, but I haven't seen him in anything where he's pulled off being sophisticated, charming or even witty. No, not even in Croupier. He could play the tough dark part very well I'm just not sure about the other parts.

JUDE LAW- Hmmmm. I don't know. he has the look, he's a fine actor, he can do elegant and be menacing (but maybe more creepy than menacing) Has definite possibilities.

CHRISTIAN BALE- Might have had more chance at the role if he hadn't said the American Psycho character was just like Bond; a murdering misogynist. EEK & LOL Has possibilities though may still be too young even in 5 years time.

JEREMY NORTHAM- indifferent The funny thing is I've checked him in the IMDB realized I've seen him in several movies and yet can never remember him clearly afterward. (also already over 40)

COLIN FIRTH- like him as an actor in certain roles but too soft and he always looks like he just smelled something bad. And has he ever once done anything vaguely resembling an action film? And no girly slapping with Hugh Grant doesn't count. ;-) (Oh and in case anyone brings up Hugh....NO!!!!!!) (also already over 40)

HUGH JACKMAN- I must confess I've never seen him in anything but film clips and on interview shows. I missed X-Men, I couldn't be dragged into Swordfish, and his two romantic comedies gave me the hives just looking at the previews. That said he looks the role, is charming and affable in interviews and by many accounts talented.

So of the list I think Pearce, Owen & Jackman are the most suitable with Law and Bale as younger interesting possibilities. Crowe and Paul are vehement no's and the rest are "eh".

MBE (who still thinks EON won't be looking for another Bond for at least another 4-5 years, and by then there'll be a whole new crop to choose from)

#4 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 25 May 2002 - 04:22 AM

ray t (24 May, 2002 02:11 a.m.):CHRISTIAN BALE (american psycho)

American? No. Psycho? No.

Honestly, I can't comment on him, though.

#5 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 23 May 2002 - 01:49 PM

Ahhh....My dear Xenobia...its time to 'tango', as they say in the slums of argentina

-----------------------------------------

Xenobia (23 May, 2002 04:59 a.m.):
I am not delusional...I know that Pierce did not start franchise, and that he is the franchise *right now* but will not be so forever.

But I do reserve the right to stand up and say that we are about as far from "Grandpa" Bond as we are ever going to get. Brosnan will look fifty when he is sixty -- and that's not for another ten years.

1...Pierce is not really the franchise in the truest sense of the word (eg. The Yankees are a franchise and no matter how much they may be paying some one per season-$15 to 18 mil in some cases-they are employees who can be replaced by the next hot baseball player next year)...So, Pierce is an employee in this franchise, unlike Irish Dream Time, and is currently only an employee on a PICTURE by PICTURE basis.

2...Go to Jamesbond.com and play the Teaser in slow mo and pause it at the second shot after the one where he's taking off his tux shirt and looking at (I think) Frost's breasts after/during the party at the ice palace. That second shot is right after a shot of him gun in hands walking through the corridor of (i think) MI6. The shot i am talking about is his close up as (i think) VAN BEERE just outside col. moon's base in the DMZ.

Pause it right there...

Look at that shot and tell me he isnt looking really old. Perhaps, (and i did think of it) he is MADE to look old as he is 'undercover'. Perhaps not...but the signs are there..he is starting to look like a potential 'grandpa'. by 2007, he WONT have gotten younger. And that brings me to another point of yours...

3...by then he'll be approaching 54-55...but you say he'll look 45-ish...in my book, he is looking 45-ish right NOW and will look 50ish at Bond 22.

My point is...I DON'T WANT MY BOND LOOKING 50-ISH!!!! I have mentioned it elsewhere several times. It goes to CREDABILITY with respect to a 50 year old doing the kinds of physical stunts a James Bond does...It goes to 007 being on the verge of fighting YOUNGER villians in the rest of his bonds which flies in the face of the "younger-hero-destroys-evil-father-figure-type-villian" which is something I prefer...and, it goes to potentially alienating an important movie-going demographic which MGM/Eon need to ensure big-blockbusters.

also...

----------------------------------------
I also feel the need to address this idea of other talent: show me where there is someone who stands out the way Pierce Brosnan did as "The Next James Bond" and I might argue that Pierce needs to watch when he negoitates. I see no one around.
OK...there maybe only one or two on the planet that "truly stand out" the way he did in 1994.
The list, however, of strong candidates is endless...

- Hugh Jackman...the fans love him
- Ewan McGregor...tremendous actor (moulin rouge, ..just see his delivery in sceens where hes having a conversation with characters that dont even exist in the latest star wars, trainspotting)
- Colin Firth
- Clive owen
and a bunch of others that we dont even know are out there by the time 2006 rolls around.

He won't get greedy because he is not a greedy man. That being said, if he wants thirty million for the next movie...he should get it.

-- Xenobia

Pierce is a FANTASTIC man. A GREAT ENVIRONMENTALIST and if he can stand up against the japanese for their whaling exploits, then he has my vote for whatever office he runs for!

and oh, He AINT GONNA get 30 mil for bond 21 just like that. Unless, of course, Die Another Day gets to $500 mil world-wide and he negotiates a performance escelator/percentage-beyond-certain-gross clause for the next one.

Yes...lets see how this one does...and then maybe i'd like to see him do 21...but let's not get ahead of the game...

Once again, this is NOT AN ATTACK on PB!
he's the best bond since connery...he is a damn fine looking man...and a tremendous ENVIRONMENTAL asset to this planet!

#6 david0007

david0007

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 May 2002 - 03:28 PM

ray t (23 May, 2002 03:02 p.m.):
Ahhh....My dear Xenobia...its time to 'tango', as they say in the slums of argentina

Xenobia (23 May, 2002 04:59 a.m.):
I am not delusional...I know that Pierce did not start franchise, and that he is the franchise *right now* but will not be so forever.

But I do reserve the right to stand up and say that we are about as far from "Grandpa" Bond as we are ever going to get. Brosnan will look fifty when he is sixty -- and that's not for another ten years.

1...Pierce is not really the franchise in the truest sense of the word (eg. The Yankees are a franchise and no matter how much they may be paying some one per season-$15 to 18 mil in some cases-they are employees who can be replaced by the next hot baseball player next year)...So, Pierce is an employee in this franchise, unlike Irish Dream Time, and is currently only an employee on a PICTURE by PICTURE basis.

2...Go to Jamesbond.com and play the Teaser in slow mo and pause it at the second shot after the one where he's taking off his tux shirt and looking at (I think) Frost's breasts after/during the party at the ice palace. That second shot is right after a shot of him gun in hands walking through the corridor of (i think) MI6. The shot i am talking about is his close up as (i think) VAN BEERE just outside col. moon's base in the DMZ.

Pause it right there...

Look at that shot and tell me he isnt looking really old. Perhaps, (and i did think of it) he is MADE to look old as he is 'undercover'. Perhaps not...but the signs are there..he is starting to look like a potential 'grandpa'. by 2007, he WONT have gotten younger. And that brings me to another point of yours...

3...by then he'll be approaching 54-55...but you say he'll look 45-ish...in my book, he is looking 45-ish right NOW and will look 50ish at Bond 22.

My point is...I DON'T WANT MY BOND LOOKING 50-ISH!!!! I have mentioned it elsewhere several times. It goes to CREDABILITY with respect to a 50 year old doing the kinds of physical stunts a James Bond does...It goes to 007 being on the verge of fighting YOUNGER villians in the rest of his bonds which flies in the face of the "younger-hero-destroys-evil-father-figure-type-villian" which is something I prefer...and, it goes to potentially alienating an important movie-going demographic which MGM/Eon need to ensure big-blockbusters.

also...

I also feel the need to address this idea of other talent: show me where there is someone who stands out the way Pierce Brosnan did as "The Next James Bond" and I might argue that Pierce needs to watch when he negoitates. I see no one around.
OK...there maybe only one or two on the planet that "truly stand out" the way he did in 1994.
The list, however, of strong candidates is endless...

- Hugh Jackman...the fans love him
- Ewan McGregor...tremendous actor (moulin rouge, ..just see his delivery in sceens where hes having a conversation with characters that dont even exist in the latest star wars, trainspotting)
- Colin Firth
- Clive owen
and a bunch of others that we dont even know are out there by the time 2006 rolls around.

He won't get greedy because he is not a greedy man. That being said, if he wants thirty million for the next movie...he should get it.

-- Xenobia

Pierce is a FANTASTIC man. A GREAT ENVIRONMENTALIST and if he can stand up against the japanese for their whaling exploits, then he has my vote for whatever office he runs for!

and oh, He AINT GONNA get 30 mil for bond 21 just like that. Unless, of course, Die Another Day gets to $500 mil world-wide and he negotiates a performance escelator/percentage-beyond-certain-gross clause for the next one.

Yes...lets see how this one does...and then maybe i'd like to see him do 21...but let's not get ahead of the game...

Once again, this is NOT AN ATTACK on PB!
he's the best bond since connery...he is a damn fine looking man...and a tremendous ENVIRONMENTAL asset to this planet!

Dear Mr rayt,

Welcome back from self-exile. I think you have made the same point over and over and over and over and over many many many many times again again again again and again. I respect you are more senior than me and may have some memory lapse, but yes, we get the point. Pierce has not been greedy and will not be greedy, he worth every penny he is commanding at the moement, if he is not financially exploited. He has not shown he is greedy or is there any tendency/trend to show that.So don;t talk soooooo much about something that don't even have any indication of that happening. As your worry he will still be Bond at 55, rest assured that will never happen. In fact, he has already announced publicly to the press that 'he is moving away from James Bond' during his Cannes visit when promoting his new film 'Evelyn', and that was the only moement when he was serious, ie promoting his new film. Most of his time at Cannes he was just joking and talking with extreme sarcasm.

#7 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 22 May 2002 - 09:18 PM

Brosnazis? He has his own political party?

Okay, let's look at the lesser-known parties of James Bond actors:

Connservative, Lazeral, Moorxist, New Daltocratic.

#8 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 22 May 2002 - 09:02 PM

Jim (22 May, 2002 06:41 a.m.):
That all seems sensible. Never mind Mr Brosnan doing more films for love rather than money; decision is bipartate. If he overprices his worth, God help him.

However, Ray, query whether it's sensible to annoy the Brosnazis on this board again. Brave man. Bring on the statistics about The Tailor of Panama being huge in Surinam or some such tosh.

Brosnazis? I am sorry you feel that way Jim. I will admit that there are folks who post here that are zealots in their defense of Pierce, but not all of us are like that, and I do hope that you know that.

Yes, someone has brought on the statistics that you "feared" would appear, so I won't bore you again. I will simply say that I believe that Pierce Brosnan does not possess the ego to overestimate his value in Hollywood. Whatever he gets for his next two Bonds, he is well worth.

And perhaps, just perhaps, for Pierce, it's not about the money. It's about the fun of the work.

-- Xenobia

#9 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 23 May 2002 - 08:05 PM

I see that David attempted to reply for me Ray, when you suggested we tango. It's alright...chances are David is the better dancer.

I can not argue figures with you, nor do I wish to. Numbers can be bent to support anyone's argument.

As for the photos....I do believe that Pierce is being made to look older in certain parts of DAD because Bond has been tortured and is recovering.

That being said...let me clarify what I mean by PB will never be Grandpa Bond -- at no time will he ever look as old as RM did AVTAK. And by "franchise" I mean he is the star right now...just as Connery was the Franchise in the sixties, and Moore was in the seventies.

Also, I feel the need to point out that 007 will never be a series for the average teen and tween, so there is no point to trying to have a very young person there to get the attention of the kiddies. That being said, many a teenage heart does in fact belong to Pierce Brosnan.

In short Ray....we will simply have to agree to disagree. I think PB can do two more movies, you don't. So be it. Let's move on.

-- Xenobia

#10 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 24 May 2002 - 01:11 AM

c'mon guys...i'm just pulling your leg...cant a guy have a bit 'o fun? :)

oh, by the way, did some chatting with some friends re who should replace Pierce when and if he and Eon agree to call it a day

the list went something like this:

HUGH JACKMAN
RUSSEL CROWE...outsider but he could pull it off if he wanted to
GUY PEARCE...ditto as fellow ausie russel
EWAN McGREGOR
ADRIAN PAUL...a dead ringer for sean connery
CLIVE OWEN...a dead ringer for sean connery as well
JUDE LAW
CHRISTIAN BALE (american psycho)
JEREMY NORTHAM
COLIN FIRTH

xenobia, MBE, et al...any preference from the above?

;)

oh...another thing, the 6 - 8 year-olds who have seen the teaser trailer on jamesbond.com on my street CAN HARDLY WAIT TILL NOVEMBER for me to take them to see Die Another Day on opening weekend!

Bond is for everyone...fun for the whole family :)

#11 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 24 May 2002 - 03:46 AM

ray t (24 May, 2002 02:11 a.m.):
c'mon guys...i'm just pulling your leg...cant a guy have a bit 'o fun? :)

oh, by the way, did some chatting with a bunch of friends re who should replace Pierce when and if he and Eon agree to call it a day

the list went something like this:

HUGH JACKMAN
RUSSEL CROWE...outsider but he could pull it off if he wanted to
GUY PEARCE...ditto as fellow ausie russel
EWAN McGREGOR
ADRIAN PAUL...a dead ringer for sean connery
CLIVE OWEN...a dead ringer for sean connery as well
CHRISTIAN BALE (american psycho)
JEREMY NORTHAM
COLIN FIRTH

xenobia, MBE, et al...any preference from the above?

:)

Honestly....Jackman, McGregor and Adrian Paul, in that order.

I have said for years Adrian can pull it off, but I thought I was the only one.

-- Xenobia

#12 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 11:54 PM

Yes, Brosnan IS enthusiastic about number five, and he will do it.

As for clear contenders...unlike Moore there is no question that this man should be Bond, and will be Bond as long as he is able. Nor is there any question Brosnan will step aside before he gets too old.

Let's try to get through DAD (NAT) and then we will move on to discussions of Bond 21.

-- Xenobia

#13 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 24 May 2002 - 03:58 AM

Xenobia (24 May, 2002 04:46 a.m.):

-- Xenobia

Hey xen, Adrian can pull it off, eh?
:)
pull off what? his shirt and pants...or the 007 character? :)

#14 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 25 May 2002 - 02:54 AM

ray t (24 May, 2002 04:59 a.m.):

Xenobia (24 May, 2002 04:46 a.m.):

-- Xenobia

Hey xen, Adrian can pull it off, eh?
;)
pull off what? his shirt and pants...or the 007 character? :)

In public...the 007 character.

In private....his shirt, his trousers, and a few others items -- off himself and...:)

-- Xenobia

#15 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 22 May 2002 - 10:57 PM

Yes...i have no intention to incur the wrath of the ladies in these forums who adore Pierce. I think he is the best Bond since Connery. Period!

Also, he is a damn fine looking man, and when i'm at the age he's at now in about 13 years time, i wish i would be in as good a shape and have a third of his looks!

But i am a JAMES BOND fan. I have been since my parents took me to see Diamonds Are Forever at the theatre when i was 6. The actors who play James Bond come and go. Some went sooner than they should have , others infact the opposite.

I think when Pierce took on the mantle of 007 in 1994, it was a big BONUS for the franchise. Whether they reached BILLION DOLLAR BOND because of him only...or the result of pent up demand for truly BONDIAN bond movies by the fans (given each of the 16 prior movies' "ranking" for thier respective release years)...no one will really ever know.

All im saying is that Pierce should not get too greedy when it comes to negotiating in the future...because i can assure u, EON will have done its homework with respect to:

1...what other hot talent is avaliable for the next 10 years

2...secret polling with the fan base and general audiences to see who the fans may want

3..."break-even" analysis in terms of giving pierce more vs making less themselves

4...deciding they dont want to go with a "greying" or "grandpa" bond so not to potentially alienate future 9-24 year olds as i have mentioned in another thread which i got slashed to pieces in!

In the end, Die Another Day should GROSS between US $400 to 450 mil WORLD WIDE.

Any thing close to the $350 mil number of the 3 previous outings will make MGM shareholders nervous. any thing approaching 500 mil wil make everyone jump for joy.

As a dyed-in-the-wool fan of the literary and cinematic James Bond and its music, all i care about is a DAMN MEMORABLE movie, title song and score!

The other stuff will take care of itself when all the numbers are in from all the territories by march/april of next year.

PS

Thanks for the welcome back from MBE

#16 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 09:08 PM

Well, as long as he'd enthusiastic, and not Connery-in-You Only Live Twice-ish about it.

#17 DavidFries

DavidFries

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 07:05 PM

General Koskov (25 May, 2002 05:22 a.m.):

ray t (24 May, 2002 02:11 a.m.):CHRISTIAN BALE (american psycho)

American? No. Psycho? No.

Honestly, I can't comment on him, though.

GK, Christian Bale was in a movie called... (get this!) American Psycho!

#18 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 21 May 2002 - 09:55 AM

Xenobia (19 May, 2002 04:14 p.m.):
But if Pierce likes what he is doing, it's never about the money.

-- Xenobia

Bold statement. Never say never.

With a similar attitude of naive hagiographic insight, he will screw them for as much as he can get. He'll need a pension.

#19 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 22 May 2002 - 09:02 PM

Jim (22 May, 2002 06:41 a.m.):
That all seems sensible. Never mind Mr Brosnan doing more films for love rather than money; decision is bipartate. If he overprices his worth, God help him.

However, Ray, query whether it's sensible to annoy the Brosnazis on this board again. Brave man. Bring on the statistics about The Tailor of Panama being huge in Surinam or some such tosh.

Brosnazis? I am sorry you feel that way Jim. I will admit that there are folks who post here that are zealots in their defense of Pierce, but not all of us are like that, and I do hope that you know that.

Yes, someone has brought on the statistics that you "feared" would appear, so I won't bore you again. I will simply say that I believe that Pierce Brosnan does not possess the ego to overestimate his value in Hollywood. Whatever he gets for his next two Bonds, he is well worth.

And perhaps, just perhaps, for Pierce, it's not about the money. It's about the fun of the work.

-- Xenobia

#20 DavidFries

DavidFries

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 04:53 AM

I wasn't trying to assign any negative motives to Mr. Brosnan, I was just wondering aloud..... not even aloud really, cause you couldn't hear me..... I probably didn't even say it..... how do you know what I thought?..... oh yeah, the internet.......... strange thing that........

#21 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 21 May 2002 - 09:58 PM

Jim (21 May, 2002 10:55 a.m.):

Xenobia (19 May, 2002 04:14 p.m.):
But if Pierce likes what he is doing, it's never about the money.

-- Xenobia

Bold statement. Never say never.

With a similar attitude of naive hagiographic insight, he will screw them for as much as he can get. He'll need a pension.

Nah...he will move back to England, and you and all the other British tax payers can support him. :)

-- Xenobia

#22 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 22 May 2002 - 07:12 PM

Broznazis.... oh very nice.

Of course Brosnan isn't doing Bond for pure love. It may be a job he loves but it's a job, money matters. Eon is hardly a mom and pop store making films for fun and love with little profit in sight. It's big business. I'm sure he knows his worth to the franchise, as do they, and I doubt he'll overprice himself or he would have done that when they were in negotiations for Bond 20.

As for Brosnan dumping money into Irish Dreamtime, it's not a vanity production company. For the films it makes it gets most if not all of it's financing from other sources, and The Nephew & TCA have both made money.

But if he did need money he's been offered other big budget films besides Bond. Like Basic Instinct 2 for $15m, ditto the recent Sound Of Thunder, which he turned down b/c he didn't like the scripts. Actually, if Brosnan only got half of what Eon/MGM paid him for any other film he could still do two other films in the time it takes to make one Bond and come out even. Or he could always just do TCA2 and make it another franchise like MGM wants so badly. As actor/ producer he'd make more from TCA than he would from Bond.

Oh, as regards The Tailor Of Panama, I have no idea how it did in Surinam. But for some other tosh, it was a film made and marketed for under $20m, distributed as an art house film in limited release and made worldwide about $28m, with another $30m in rentals in the U.S. alone. So yeah, guess what, it made money, and it didn't make it because of the box office draw of Geoffrey Rush or John Boorman.

MBE (Oh and RayT welcome back! :))

#23 DavidFries

DavidFries

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 04:26 AM

I think it's interesting that Pierce makes a point of stating that he would do a fifth, not that he will do a fifth. Could this a negotiating tactic? "Look Eon, I've said I would, I've said I want to, now all you've got to do is make me the right offer."

#24 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 22 May 2002 - 11:42 PM

David007...Thank you for your thoughtful response to my post.

--------------------------------------------------

david0007 (22 May, 2002 09:35 p.m.):

So Mr Brosnan is getting a meagre 0.9% of total gross, ie. less than one percent!
Remember, British actors do not share in any residue income only until recently.So ... he cannot benefit financially from the success of the films.
----------------------------------------------------

OK...rebuttle time with dear David0007:

the franchise was not his brainchild. he is an employee, not, as far as i know, a shareholder in Eon, Danjaq, et al. Yes he is a terrific bond and has contributed in a MASSIVE way to the character and the films, all three of which i LOVE!

But, his career was in the dumper, quite frankly, and Cubby gave him a real life-line in 1994. That is my opinion. You cant argue with someone's opinion!

---------------------------------------------------
He made the money so why can't he spend it in whatever way he likes?

Yep..i agree with you..he can do whatever he wants with his own dough and more power to him....

--------------------------------------------------
FYI, some so called mega star box office aren't any better boxoffice-wise even at 15x more screens:
Bruce Willis, Hart's War-19m at 2800,
Jim Carrey , Majestic-25m at 2500
Nicolas Cage, Captain Corelli's Mandolin- 25m at 1600

Mel Gibson-We were soldiers - 18m at wide release.

It seems like he is making similar numbers as those mega stars even under extreme disadvantageous and deprived situations.

And his upcoming film 'Evelyn' will not make any wave in box office.

I couldn't care less...i never saw any of those movies and probably wont be renting them either. Ditto Evelyn!

I did, however see Spidey twice on opening weekend. :) Same with the latest Star Wars this past weekend...and i think i'll check it out a third time any day now! :)

-----------------------------------------------------
And aside from your bean counter mind, there are always people who belives quality matters as much if not more than quantity.
-----------------------------------------------------

now, now, now...no need to get offensive! :)
hmmm...my bean counter mind allows me to take off early from work in my BMW, go for a quick swim in my pool, and take my child and a couple of the other kids on the street to see a Spider-man or a Star Wars on a friday afternoon...Yup, i know nothing about QUALITY :)

i guess my complete Bond DVD collection, all my fleming and benson prints, and my soundtracks from 16 of the 19 007 movies speak volumes for my preference of QUANTITY over QUALITY...correct? :D

P.S. I wonder why there is such a sudden surge in negative attacks on Brosnan. Expect more.;)

P.S. it was not a negative attack! read my previous post...

ciao!

#25 ronson

ronson

Cadet

• Crew
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 05:23 PM

I agree with Xen,but it could be a bad move if it is about negotiating new terms as AVTAC presented a Moore who seemed at times to be elsewhere.....although in saying this didn't his renegotiations for the role first start before FEYO and an American guy was screen tested (I could be wrong).
The thing with Brosnan is that this particular moment in time doesn't present a dead-cert for the role of Bond, there are many in the frame (possibly) but no outstanding choice. So if this is the case EON should waste no time and get him signed up for a fifth outing.

#26 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 03:14 PM

I think it is very dangerous to sit here and play the "Will" vs. "Would" game.

Reading the article again, it appears as if Brosnan was responding to a question that was phrased "Would you do another Bond?" and he answered in the same tense. If he was deliberate in staying in the same tense, in that he wants Eon to up the stakes...that's possible. But if Pierce likes what he is doing, it's never about the money. I think he simply stayed in same tense, not be conditional about his fifth Bond, but just to sound "correct" so to speak.

-- Xenobia

#27 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 21 May 2002 - 10:08 PM

General Koskov (21 May, 2002 12:30 a.m.):
Does the title of this thread remind anyone else of Homer Simpson's 'Table Five' song sung to the tune of 'Stayin' Alive'? ;d

Yes......Yes it does.......

A fifth is a dead cert. The options there and I'm 99% sure that Pierce will take. Why wouldn't he? He's been the most popular Bond in many people's eyes and he would definitely want to leave a bigger mark on the series.
That said I think there could also be the strong possibility of a sixth too.

#28 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 22 May 2002 - 05:41 AM

#29 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 04:37 AM

Well, it worked for Roger Moore. . .

#30 DavidFries

DavidFries

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 31 May 2002 - 04:09 AM

General Koskov (31 May, 2002 12:22 a.m.):
I know the film. :) Just kidding. ;d

General, I apologize. I seem to be reading evil intentions into your posts at every turn. I'm sorry about that.