53 replies to this topic

#1 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 18 May 2002 - 03:27 PM

Judi Dench is fantastic, but then again variety is the spice of the Bond series. I'd like to see Alan Rickman play a Bond villain, but I think he'd be even better as M. Otherwise, Michael Caine might be an idea.

#2 WillieGarvin

WillieGarvin

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 03:46 AM

I'd like to see Dame Judi stick around awhile longer,too.If she leaves Alan Bates and Brian Cox along with Brian Blessed have what it takes to play M.

Shortly before Robert Brown was selected to follow after Bernard Lee, I'd heard rumors that Patrick Macnee was being considered for next M.It would have been interesting to see John Steed issuing orders to 007.

As for Michael Caine as M--doubtful but not impossible to imagine.For anyone questioning his qualifications as a spy check out The Ipcress File,Funeral in Berlin,and The Black Windmill.Yes,Michael Caine(Maurice Micklewhite)does comedy, but he's also a fine dramatic actor as well.

#3 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 18 May 2002 - 09:08 PM

[quote]Otherwise, Michael Caine might be an idea.

are you kidding? Micheal Caine is a great actor, but he is only for comedy really. How could he play M? We don't want to go back to the 'comedy' of the Roger Moore era, do we?(no offence to Mr Caine by the way, he is still one of my favourite actors)

#4 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 18 May 2002 - 08:15 PM

After James Villiers played Tanner in "For Your Eyes Only," he assumed he'd be promoted to the role of M. When Villiers learned the part had gone to Robert Brown, he called his agent to find out what had happened, and was told that he was too young to be M. So. . .I'm not sure that the fifty-something, cheerful and upbeat Michael Kitchen would be promoted to M's seat.

That said, I also hope Dame Judi continues for as long as she's able. I enjoy the tension/affection between her and Brosnan's Bond--it sort of harkens back to the glory days of Bernard Lee and Sean Connery. But if Dame Judi were to step aside, I think that Albert Finney could indeed be a good M; and another fan suggestion--Edward Woodward--could also work out. I'd also suggest Brian Cox and David Warner--though both of them would make terrific villains.

#5 Victor Zokas

Victor Zokas

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 18 May 2002 - 09:25 PM

I'd go for Albert Finney or David Suchet.

As for Michael Caine being just for comedy, anyone who has ever seen him in Get Carter knows just how tough he can be.

#6 Victor Zokas

Victor Zokas

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 03:58 PM

WARNING - NO SPOILERS HERE AT ALL

Just as a casual note to anyone from the Sheffield United Fan Club (Blades) who may be reading. At the top of this page there is a discussion on how the previous page may have revealed part of the DAD plot.

However it seems to me that the discussion on this page about how to deal with spoilers has actually been more explicit in what may be going to happen.

I can see it was unintentional, but nevertheless for those who didn't want to know what happens to character X in DAD, then it does seem to me to be a spoiler in itself.

#7 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 21 May 2002 - 09:38 AM

I agree that Renard could have benefitted from more scenes establishing menace, but rather than sacrificing any of Dame Judi's moments, I can think of another major player I'd happily have seen less of.

#8 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 04:27 AM

Blofeld's Cat (20 May, 2002 04:52 a.m.):
I don't like M getting too involved in Bond's adventures, but I suppose that due to Dame Judi's stature in the film world it's only natural that the producers want take advantage of she acting skill and experience.

Whoever takes over should return to a more "desk-job" sort of role.

But why should M. behind the desk? I like seeing M out behind the desk...it reminds the viewers how M. got there, and where Bond may wind up someday if it manages not to die another day. :)

When you have someone like Judi Dench --or Michael Caine -- you simply must make use of their talents. Do anything less is a crime.

-- Xenobia

#9 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 20 May 2002 - 03:52 AM

I don't like M getting too involved in Bond's adventures, but I suppose that due to Dame Judi's stature in the film world it's only natural that the producers want take advantage of she acting skill and experience.

Whoever takes over should return to a more "desk-job" sort of role.

#10 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 01:46 AM

Hmm, I actually wished I'd seen that! Just to see how much of an insult to Bond it is! :)

#11 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 12:38 AM

General Koskov (19 May, 2002 09:55 p.m.):
Actually I have not seen 'Spymaker'. Was it only in the UK? Anyway, that 'Mother' bit sounds pretty lame. :)

Nope, it was actually made for media mogul Ted Turner's "Superstation." You're not missing out on much, General. . .Jason Connery isn't in his father's league as an actor, and the whole gimmick of casting the son of the first James Bond as the father of James Bond is just too cute for words. The whole story is also a joke, with Fleming doing battle with a "Bondian" master criminal (Joss Ackland) and romancing a Bondian beauty; and in the end he waltzes off to write a novel based on his "experiences," which turns out to be. . .you guessed it. Poor Ian: no imagination, I guess.

#12 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 11:58 PM

If Fleming got M. from his mother...that certainly explains a lot about the man and his character.

I'm going to go hang out with Doctor Freud now.

-- Xenobia

#13 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 08:55 PM

Actually I have not seen 'Spymaker'. Was it only in the UK? Anyway, that 'Mother' bit sounds pretty lame. :)

#14 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 08:31 PM

Interesting news, General K. . .though I have heard the theory that Fleming got "M" from his own mother. In fact, if you've seen that pretty bad TV movie "The Secret Life of Ian Fleming" (aka "Spymaker"), you know it opens with a scene of the young Ian trying to stammer out "Mother" and just managing to say "M". . .somewhat less subtle than beating us over the head with a hammer.

I guess I still feel the M initial should be reserved for Admiral Sir Miles Messervy, but who am I to stand against tradition? M Judi is, and M Judi shall stay.

#15 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 08:18 PM

Hardyboy (19 May, 2002 05:35 a.m.):
But, still, why call the head of the SIS M now? M was never a general title--it's the initial of Admiral Sir Miles Messervy and his use of the initial dates to the Cold War era, when the identity of the SIS head was supposed to be such a closely guarded secret not even his own agents knew who he was. The Secret Service today is far more open--the head can use his or her own name.

Actually, Fleming got 'M.' (and by the way that period's supposed to be there) from perhaps what he called his mother: 'M.'. Combined with the real head of SIS' 'nickname': 'C.'. C. is what Sir Mansfeld Cumming, the first head of SIS, always signed, in green ink.

Fleming changed C. to M., and kept the green ink bit. Cumming was a Captain in the Royal Navy; Fleming made Messervy an Admiral to keep in with his fictionalisation of his chief, Admiral John H Godfrey.

So, as with the real SIS' protocol of the name C., the head of SIS is always called 'M.' no matter what are the initals of Dame Judi's character. And I cannot stand how Benson does not understand this and makes her name 'Barbara Mawdsley'. What kind of name is that, 'Mawdsley'? :)

#16 Victor Zokas

Victor Zokas

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 05:54 PM

OK, so M enoys the odd libation, and if that makes her a prime candidate for downsizing, then how long will Bond last?

#17 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 05:28 PM

I agree with Dame Judi staying for as long as possible. She really does help the films have some humour and class. I suppose Caine could do it, given some time. Rbinson or Tanner are also good choices. Here's a thought: what about Jon Voight? My parents rented Ali last night and they thought he was very good in that film. If you let him age a little more and give him time to work on an accent(which was a bit sad in Tomb Raider), then he may be an interesting contender. Ian McKellen could also be considered.

#18 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 02:22 PM

Jim (19 May, 2002 12:26 p.m.): Oh, just replace this M with one of the Teletubbies. Dipsy, rather than Tipsy...fine.

Well, since Bond doesn't follow orders anyway, at least he can now blame it on not understanding his boss!

I sense some agression against M. Care to share why?

-- Xenobia

#19 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 11:26 AM

Time for a new M anyway; after getting herself captured in the most unutterably stupid manner in The World is not Enough, thus threatening the security of the UK, she would have been fired anyway. That, and because she is patently an alcoholic.

Oh, just replace this M with one of the Teletubbies. Dipsy, rather than Tipsy...fine.

#20 Victor Zokas

Victor Zokas

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 11:21 AM

Michael Caine wouldn't have come to my mind if Carver hadn't mentioned him, but I'm warming to the idea. If Madonna can cross from Powers to Bond, I think he might as well. He is a good dramatic actor.

As for 2 problems raised about him, I think his accent is easily dealt with. He can take the edges off his accent when he needs to. I remember him doing this in movies like Zulu. As for him being in demand, the fact that it may only be a few days work would make it easy for him to slot in as another nice little earner.

Brian Cox is another tremendous suggestion. The original Hannibal is a suave yet threatening character actor. As for Edward Woodward, he'd have been my firts choice until I saw him a couple of times in the last few months in dramas, and he has aged an awful lot. He doesn't look commanding anymore as he did in The Equaliser or Callan. Shame really.

#21 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 01:09 AM

Well, to start, I too would like to see Dame Judi stay as M. for as long as she wishes to. That being said, I would not be surprised if she, like Samantha Bond, bows out when Pierce does.

Michael Caine has done some serious work before -- "Cider House Rules" comes quickly to mind -- and he did play an MI6 agent in "The Fourth Protocol" which starred another young actor who managed to make it to the MI6 ranks. I think he would make a very good M. indeed.

But for me, the better choice would be, if his health permits, Edward Woodward, known to American audiences as "The Equalizer." I think he has the tone, the world weariness, and the acting experience to make a very good M.

Also definately capable of playing that kind of role, but unfortunately will probably never get it because of her previous experience, is Honor Blackman. If everyone could forget Pussy Galore (but why would you want to?) she would make a dynomite successor to Dame Judi.

-- Xenobia

#22 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 02:14 AM

Potential spoiler below:

There may well have to be a new M after DAD anyway, which is a shame as I really like Judi Dench in the role.

#23 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 02:36 AM

James Page (19 May, 2002 03:17 a.m.):
There may well have to be a new M after DAD anyway, which is a shame as I really like Judi Dench in the role.

Come on, James. Don't tease us this way. What do you know?

Also, everybody needs to just forget Michael Caine. He is one of the most in-demand actors out there still. Why would he come in for a few days work as M in the Bond series when his career is still thriving. Nice thought, but not realistic.

#24 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 19 May 2002 - 02:40 AM

James Page (19 May, 2002 03:17 a.m.):
Potential spoiler below:

Well she did say that she was retiring from acting for a while. :)

#25 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 02:53 AM

Turn (19 May, 2002 03:36 a.m.):

Multiple unconfirmed rumours of the films climax... you can prolly work out the rest for yourself, given that I've already said if it's true, Judi won't be appearing in the series any more.

#26 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 03:02 AM

Turn (19 May, 2002 03:36 a.m.):

Multiple unconfirmed rumours of the films climax... you can prolly work out the rest for yourself, given that I've already said if it's true, Judi won't be appearing in the series any more.

#27 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 18 May 2002 - 03:47 PM

I agree with Mr Asterix... keep her for as long as we can. She's great and the Bond series needs some continuety whilst they change over from Pierce to the next Bond (hopefully they can keep hold of Sam Bond too). But when M has to change I say Albert Finney is my choice. But does anyone get the feeling that Tanner will be promoted or Robinson will become the next M?

#28 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 18 May 2002 - 04:56 PM

Tanner getting promoted is an interesting idea. While I don't want to see Dame Judi leave anytime soon, the promotion of Bill would give SIS a 'new look'. Rather than just being 'Legoland where Bond gets his assignment and only features for 10 minutes' (except in The World is not Enough), SIS could be a colourful, changing place that is not a stale backdrop.

#29 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 27 May 2002 - 04:27 PM

I hope Judi sticks around for awhile, it's going to be hard to find someone to take over the role without being a rehash of the previous Ms....

#30 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 27 May 2002 - 04:41 PM

Give the job to Timothy Dalton and let everyone's head spin off