48 replies to this topic

#1 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 06:38 PM

So is anyone on CBn going to be at the San Diego Comic Con?

ZenCat & I just made our reservations :)
We could have a CBn meet-up if anyone else is going to be there.

#2 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 07:07 PM

*cough*dork fest*cough* :)

Just kidding.I used to collect marvel comics back in the day. I'm from SD but I never did go...they are supposed to be fun. Lots of trailors of upcoming films...Do give us all a report! :)

#3 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 07:12 PM

...and proud of it :)

#4 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 07:14 PM

me too. :)

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 12:08 AM

Even though it's called Comic Con, it's hardly only about comics. It's EVERYTHING genre and movie related; comics, books, films, computer games, toys, major previews of all the upcoming films. Star Wars has an entire pavilion this year. Last year Halle Berry, Angelina Jolie, and the entire cast of Van Helsing were appearing on the same stage. One year Bryan Singer shut down production of X-Men 2 and flew to Comic Con to show the first ever seen footage from the film. This year WB is going to show the first footage from Batman Begins. I think something like 50,000 fans attend ever year. It started in 1976 (when it really was only about comics) and it's now grown into being THE movie marketing showcase of the year...

And guess what movie franchise never makes any kind of appearance whatsoever? :)

#6 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 12:17 AM

Heaven forbid that MGM/UA or Eon Productions would ever want to interact with the fans. :)

I would think that the Bond films would do much better at the box office if they were just a little supportive of the James Bond fan community.

You would also think that Ian Fleming Publications would have made an effort to promote the Bond continuation novels and/or the reprints at science fiction/comic conventions.

#7 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 12:18 AM

You would also think that Ian Fleming Publications would have made an effort to promote the Bond continuation novels and/or the reprints at science fiction/comic conventions.

After the absolute revolting lessening of promotion for the Benson novels, this isn't surprising.

#8 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 12:24 AM

Police Academy zencat? Really, maybe Steve Guttenberg just wants to move on! :) :)

#9 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 08:02 PM

During last years Comic-Con 2003 my picture showed up on StarWars.com :)
click here to see pic page

#10 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 09:10 PM

Have fun.

I'm off to SF for an a-Musing birthday. Alas, one of my Muses crosses the three decade line this year. I wouldn't miss it.

Let us know if there's any good Bond stuff.

PS- If you can still, get thee into the Pan Pacific. Best hotel for the Con.

#11 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 09:23 PM

LOL! :) Yeah, I bet there won't be any Trekkie types there. :)

And why should the people who make the Bond films show any interest in this kind of event? I mean, why would they want to give any encouragement to the geeky element of the 007 fanbase? Anyway, the Bond series is about a guy who gets laid a lot - hardly suitable fare for the attendees at something called Comic Con International, one would have thought. :)

/spoiler.gif
Just gently kidding around with all the above.
/gen_line.gif

#12 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 09:28 PM

Let us know if there's any good Bond stuff.
PS- If you can still, get thee into the Pan Pacific. Best hotel for the Con

As far as I know the only two US cities with a Pan Pacific are San Fran and some place in Hawaii. Not in San Diego (am I right?). BUT... (I'm not giving away out hotel) let's just say we're saying in a brand spanking new suite only hotel. King bed suite with a spacious living area and Kitchenette. Plus in room internet access :) and only blocks from the convention center :)

As for Bond stuff at comic con, we'll see... but I'm not getting my hopes up. As was said in here... MGM jsut doesn't reach out to the fans very much. tisk tisk

[EDIT: Loomis... LOL... very funny :) :)]

#13 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 10:24 PM

...Anyway, the Bond series is about a guy who gets laid a lot - hardly suitable fare for the attendees at something called Comic Con International...

Obviously you've never been to the San Diego Comic Con. :)

#14 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 10:27 PM

...Anyway, the Bond series is about a guy who gets laid a lot - hardly suitable fare for the attendees at something called Comic Con International...

If it increases the 007 marketing, who cares? :)

#15 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 10:27 PM

Not only that, I've never even been to San Diego! :)

Nah, please understand that I was only kidding around with my above post. I'm sure some of the Comic Con visitors get laid. Some of them. :)

Listen, I post regularly on a Bond fansite - I'm hardly in a position to seriously be branding other people geeks, now am I? :)

#16 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 10:37 PM

[quote name='Loomis' date='13 June 2004 - 15:27'] [quote]

#17 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 12:18 AM

LOL! :) Yeah, I bet there won't be any Trekkie types there. :)

And why should the people who make the Bond films show any interest in this kind of event? I mean, why would they want to give any encouragement to the geeky element of the 007 fanbase? Anyway, the Bond series is about a guy who gets laid a lot - hardly suitable fare for the attendees at something called Comic Con International, one would have thought. :)

/spoiler.gif
Just gently kidding around with all the above.
/gen_line.gif

LOL :)

But I think Bond should be represented there...Captain Kirk got his share of tail too! :)

And he got some green booty too! :)

#18 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 02:45 AM

Unless Brosnan is there signing autographs for free, I'll pass. I go to the NYC comic cons regularly-no need for me to fly to the west coast to piss away more money on old comics.

#19 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 04:42 PM

Posted Image

Just a reminder... let us know if you're going to San Diego Comic-Con and we'll schedule a CBn meet up!

#20 Glor (009)

Glor (009)

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 469 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 05:00 AM

I'm going to see if I can get tickets from my usual source. I might go to it since I live in San Diego. I've been to it a few times. I was in the room to see Halle Berry and the Torque preview last year but I had to hand something to a guy outside the room during the presentations and the bouncers pushed me out and wouldn't let me back in. That pretty much sucked. By then the line went around the building and those folks never made it into the room. Get there early, get situated and don't move. Skip the morning coffee.

And above all else, leave the Star Wars or Star Trek clothing at home. Oh yeah, and if you weigh more than 130 you probably should rething the Trinity from the Matrix costume. Eeewww. :)

#21 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 05:53 PM

LOL... funny stuff about the consumes, Glor.:) Not to worry, I'll have no problem with that.:) BTW, Glor... ZenCat and I would love to meet up with you. ZenCat will be there most of Friday on his own since I

#22 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 06:55 PM

[quote name='Athena007' date='12 July 2004 - 10:53'] ...ZenCat will be there most of Friday on his own since I

#23 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 07:12 PM

[quote name='zencat' date='12 July 2004 - 10:55'] [quote name='Athena007' date='12 July 2004 - 10:53'] ...ZenCat will be there most of Friday on his own since I

#24 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 07:21 PM

OMG OMG OMG!!! I just got news from EA... They're even going to put me up in the RITZ on Thursday night!!! :) MGM would never do that, especially for someone who already lived in LA to begin with. :) I'm eXcited...

Too cool, Athena. :)

Of course, you might not make it to San Diego on Thursday if you've been hanging out with Bryce, Matt and Joyce on Wednesday. :)

*pictures Athena waking up in the trunk of Bryce's jag on Thursday morning*

That's right, BUENOS AIRES. Don't ask me how we got there. :) :)

#25 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 07:28 PM

:) hee hee, Joyce. Well, I was chatting with Bryce and I think the plan is going to be something like this:

Wednesday Night: Girls night (if you still want, if not it's totally fine I know how traveling can tire one out)
Thursday Night: ZenCat & I will come on over to Bryce's around 7pm to hang out with ya'll (I'll be missing dinner at EA and such, but that's totally cool with me. And I need to be rested for Friday so it won't be a late late night).
Friday: Day @ EA, then they fly me to San Diego in the evening for Comic-Con weekend.

Phew... busy busy busy. And I'm not even getting into what i have to do on Monday and Tuesday or the week before or after... phew... I've got a schedule alright :)

#26 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 07:41 PM

Whoa girl! Don't wear yourself out! :) :)

It all sounds great. Yeah, you're right about Wednesday night, but let's just see how the jet lag affects me. :) Thursday night: that's a deal. :)

See you soon, dear. :)

#27 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 07:42 PM

[quote name='Athena007' date='12 July 2004 - 15:12'] [quote name='zencat' date='12 July 2004 - 10:55'] [quote name='Athena007' date='12 July 2004 - 10:53'] ...ZenCat will be there most of Friday on his own since I

#28 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 07:59 PM

Thursday Night: ZenCat & I will come on over to Bryce's around 7pm to hang out with ya'll (I'll be missing dinner at EA and such, but that's totally cool with me. And I need to be rested for Friday so it won't be a late late night).

Wait...if you're going to have a room at the Ritz Thursday...

#29 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 08:07 PM

Wait...if you're going to have a room at the Ritz Thursday...

Maybe we should do the Joyce get together on Wednesday? It would be less messy that way. Let talk about it with everyone (still can't be a late late night since I have work on Thursday Day, but it also would leave more time to be together as a group. :)

#30 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 08:49 PM

Wednesday is okay with me - but really, the week is going to be you people telling me where to go and what to see. I'm okay with everything. :) Just looking forward to seeing everyone. :)