58 replies to this topic

#1 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 10:01 PM

I thought I'd create this thread to post any FFRC updates in. I suggest that all active members subscribe to this thread and then when an update is posted you will automatically be notified.

I thought now would be a good time to take a break from all the reading that we've been doing and survey the current Fan Fiction scene.

First of all, we've read 8 pieces so far. Some good, some not so good, some excellent - but all featuring our favourite secret agent. I've created a list of near enough every Bond fanfic available and at the moment it us somewhere near 40 pieces!

I've also drawn up a list of the order in which we'll read the pieces but this is forever changing based on the rate that fanfiction is being written.

Since we began there have been several new pieces released on MI6 and AJB aswell as a number of others on various other sites on the net. We've had a brand new collaborative novel, Death Without Notice, the third from the talented writers over AJB aswell as a new screenplay, God's Assassin by Steve Mason.

On MI6 we've had the second novel from fan favourite Seb Harvey, Roche d'Amour aswell as Death Is For Dying by Andrew Hixson and Death Waits For No Man by Robert Thomas. We've also had the announcement that a brand new serialised version of the infamous Bond20 fan script, Final Assignment will begin being published in May. This is possibly one of the most interesting developments in regards to Bond FanFiction and will finally give those fans who missed the chance to read the screenplay, the oppurtunity to read it as a novel. This is promised to be the "most complete version available".
I for one am looking forward to this and I'm sure it is eagerly anticipated by many other fans.

Sadly, we have seen relatively little new material from CBN. We've had Chapter 7 of Jim's Just Another Kill aswell as a number of short stories being posted in the forums. That's about it though. Compared to other sites it's a shame that we have the least amount of fan fiction activity here.

That's one of the reasons for this club. It aims to get people interested in the many pieces that are out there aswell as hopefully encouraging others to write themselves.

Now, at the moment we have just been reading the pieces and then posting our opinions. Also many of the people who originally signed up have not participated in the discussions. This is purely their own decision but we get a far wider range of opinions if more members contribute.
I aim to combat this; for the future I will be planning a number of activities that will give the club a bit of variety and be more than just Read/Review/Next Piece. This will, at any rate, encourage more participation and hopefully we'll get a lot more out of it.

#2 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 10:03 PM

I was wondering if we will be reviewing fan screenplays as well as novels and short stories.

#3 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 10:06 PM

Yes will we be. We just haven't covered any yet.
At the moment there are three main ones - God's Assassin, Archangel and I'm counting Shatterhand in this too. Technically it's not a screenplay but we may as well count it as one.
There's also a fan screenplay of The Facts Of Death in the works and hopefully, if they ever decided to release it, we'll be able to get a look at Bullets Speak Louder Than Words.

#4 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 10:09 PM

There's also a number of interesting novelisations in the works too. Currently in the works are Octopussy, A View To A Kll, Nightfire, Everything Or Nothing and someone is apparantly adapting God's Assassin aswell.

As you can see, we've got a fair bit to get through, hence the reason why I want to try and make it more interesting for us.

#5 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 01:16 AM

I look forward to all that this club throws at everyone, Tanger. :)

#6 Lazenby880

Lazenby880

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 10:21 AM

Unfortunately the last FFRC topic I replied to was week six, as I simply haven't had the time to do much of the reading due to University commitments (i.e. essays :) ). That and reading Mason's screenplay to which Tanger refers, which would be a very interesting piece for the FFRC, my thoughts on it can be seen here http://www.ajb007.co...c=18191&cpage=2

However, I am still very interested in the FFRC and would like to receive these updates. I promise once I get these essays out of the way (in a couple of weeks) I'll set about reading the outstanding works of fan fiction.

Out of interest Tanger, what are the different activities you are thinking of?

Edited by Lazenby, 15 April 2004 - 10:24 AM.

#7 scaramanga1

scaramanga1

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 07:14 PM

Sorry I haven't been around much -butI am still about. I have just made a comment about From Death's door and will reply to the week 8 tale soon. Whilst I'm at it I just want to shamelessly plug Lazenby's fantastic Smokeheart which will be available at AJB soon, along with my own Novella, The Designation of Death which I just about finished writing yesterday. :)

Edited by scaramanga1, 18 April 2004 - 07:15 PM.

#8 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 08:13 PM

Shameless plugging? Absolutely not. Smokeheart and Designation of Death are two pieces that I am eagerly aniticpating and since we've already covered your first pieces, it will be interesting to see how you follow them up.

I've just been over to MI6 and it seems that Seb Harvey has two more novels in the works. One which is a follow up to Roche d'Amour and another which is a break from the story. He's doing that one first and then his next one in the series after.

In the words of Jason Disley himself "it's great to see that James Bond literature is alive and kicking. Even if it is only unofficially". I think that the fan fiction scene is more active now than it's ever been.

I'll be posting up the next piece later tonight and it's one which, I'm sure, many people will approach with a little uncertainty. I can assure you though that it's reputation does not do it justice and it is, all in all, a great piece of fan fiction.

#9 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 08:36 PM

This weeks piece is now up:

http://debrief.comma...topic=15624&hl=

#10 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 01:49 AM

I just need 8 weeks, and I am all clear for this. Damn Romeo and Juliet, keeping me away from truly great literature!

#11 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 02:15 AM

I'll be posting up the next piece later tonight and it's one which, I'm sure, many people will approach with a little uncertainty. I can assure you though that it's reputation does not do it justice and it is, all in all, a great piece of fan fiction.

Oh, Tanger, I will try to keep an open mind as I reread Killing Zone, but I'm afraid we're going to have some sprited debate on this one.

#12 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 02:18 AM

Outstanding choice Tanger, I have been trying to read this one for a while, now this will push me to do it..if my damn computer allows me to, bloody virus, shutting my internet down for 5 hours today. :)

Thankfully, I'll be dealing with that soon.

Looking forward to reading this and Clinkeroo's! :)

#13 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 09:38 AM

Yep. I wanted to surprise people this one and was originally leaving it till week 10 but I just couldn't wait. I've had this on my computer for ages but have never got around to it. I know that many people also stay away from this as a matter of principal as they believe it to be badly written. Well, now they've got an excuse to read it and they can judge for themselves.

Ps. Apologies to Robert Thomas for getting his name wrong in my first post. I knew it was you but tiredness made me write the wrong name. :)

#14 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 12:09 AM

An excellent piece that I have been following the development of for some time has just had it's first release at MI6. The work is Beyond The Call by David Snow. Currently only Part 1 is available with part 2 coming soon.

#15 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 01:24 AM

In other news, the piece 'In The Cover Of Darkness' by Daisha McCauley is not going to be completed. The first few chapters of this piece were posted up on MI6 but the story has now been pulled due to the writer's decision not to continue with the story.
The first chapters are still available for download by request.

#16 Lazenby880

Lazenby880

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 01:57 PM

Shameless plugging? Absolutely not. Smokeheart and Designation of Death are two pieces that I am eagerly aniticpating and since we've already covered your first pieces, it will be interesting to see how you follow them up.

Continuing the shameless plugging :) , The Designaiton of Death, Jason's truly fantastic novella, will be released in the very near future. The promotional work has begun, I conducted an interview with Jason for the article here, http://www.ajb007.co...nation_of_death Those who appreciate fan fiction I can assure you will not be disappointed by this accomplished piece of work.

As for Smokeheart, expect it in early summer.

#17 Mr. Bondt

Mr. Bondt

Cadet

• Crew
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 07:11 PM

Ps. Apologies to Robert Thomas for getting his name wrong in my first post. I knew it was you but tiredness made me write the wrong name. :)

No probs Mr. Tanger!

Hi, i'm Rob Thomas, and i've been a member here for a while but forgot all about it, so this is my return post etc...

Anyways, glad to hear that Death Waits For No Man has been heard of over here, and i'm eager to see peoples opinions! :)

#18 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 08:17 AM

Hey Rob. I hope you'll stick around to join in with our discussions. :)

#19 Civilian_The Saint 007_*

Civilian_The Saint 007_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2004 - 10:34 AM

On MI6 we've had the second novel from fan favourite Seb Harvey, Roche d'Amour

LOL @ fan favourite

#20 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 10:37 AM

Well, so he claims. :)

#21 Civilian_The Saint 007_*

Civilian_The Saint 007_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2004 - 10:39 AM

no he doesn't.

but Robert Thomas' work is good and so is David Snow's, which has a great second part.

#22 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 02:26 PM

I hope nobody minds if I ask but, who the hell was that guy and what happened to him? :)

#23 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 02:40 PM

I hope nobody minds if I ask but, who the hell was that guy and what happened to him? :)

Which person are you speaking of, Tanger?

#24 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 02:49 PM

The Saint 007. He kept PM'ing me saying he had questions to ask me but never did. Now his account's been deleted.

Hmmm, curious.

#25 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 02:53 PM

Oh, I don't know, the first I saw of him and his account had already been deleted. I'm sure there is some reason. :)

#26 scaramanga1

scaramanga1

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 03:51 PM

What are we reading next? I would like to know, and I'm sure the other FFRC members would also. :)

#27 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 06:37 PM

Well, many are still reading The Killing Zone and we still have the challenge to complete, so there won't be one this week. However, I'll let the members choose which will be our next piece.

I've decided that week 10 will have a DEATH theme and so the choices are:

Death Is For Dying by Andrew Hixson - The world around Bond has changed, and so has his duties for Her Majesty. One of the few remaining agents from a bygone era, "Death Is For Dying" initially plunges Bond behind one of his most feared locations - his desk. But despite the new politically correct times, there is still a place for an agent with Bond's skills in the New World when the evil behind the most devastating terrorist attacks in history needs bringing to justice.

Death Waits For No Man by Robert Thomas - The mysterious disappearance of two top MI6 agents on a simple mission in Siberia begins a worrying explosion of activity at the Secret Service Headquarters. A known terrorist, suspected to be behind the kidnap, is suddenly James Bond's top priority.

Death Doesn't Die by Robert Ofenloch - James Bond is thust into deepest Siberia with a beautiful German intelligence agent...

Death Is An Ally by Christopher Folan - Death is an ally for any secret agent, and Thomas Mansfield is no exception. Newly recruited to the esteemed Double-O Section of Her Majesty’s Secret Service, Mansfield, Agent 005, is assigned to shadow and protect Sir Archibald Doyle, a well respected British humanitarian after an assassination attempt nearly takes his life in Hong Kong.

Death To Spies by Ross Sidor - Tales of Her Majesty's Secret Service

Just post the title of the one you would most like to read. The votes will be counted at the end of the week and then we will read the most popular piece in the week commencing 10th May.

#28 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 09:23 PM

Death To Spies is my choice.

#29 Lazenby880

Lazenby880

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 10:50 AM

Since my Uni work is finished I've no excuse from now on...

I too have been interested in reading Death To Spies, but have never got round to reading it.

#30 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 01:46 PM

I'm gonna go with Death To Spies too as that's the only one I haven't started yet. All the others I've read bits and pieces of.