78 replies to this topic

#61 Mark_Hazard

Mark_Hazard

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:10 PM

For anyone in the UK (seller wants buyer to pick-up, so tends to rule out overseas) who wants the whole basic collection in one go, see:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

works out to be about £17 each, not bad.

Unfortunately I didn't come across this until today, there's only just over a day to go.

#62 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:15 PM

I gave up collecting these, whenever I tried to display them, something dropped off.

#63 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:35 PM

I've added a reference guide about the 007 sideshow figures to CBn right here... check it out and if there's anything you all think I should add to this list, please let me know. Since I don't own all the figures I'm sure I've missed something.

I'll update this list when there's new figures and also I'm thinking of adding the links to the sideshow individual pages.

Oh... I did pre-ordered the Alec Trevalyan '006' figure so I'm going to get the special edition piece for it :) ...t hat

I couldn't help but noticing that the Alec Trevalian action figure looks, disturbingly, like Denis Leary. Why is that?

#64 Bon-san

Bon-san

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:18 PM

I gave up collecting these, whenever I tried to display them, something dropped off.

Haha. Ditto.

#65 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:29 PM

I remember my Zao figure turned blue.

#66 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:35 AM

where do you even get these figurines? I don't think I would ever collect them.. lol

#67 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:47 AM

I bought them all when they came out in specialized shops and on toy fairs. I think in total it are 20-25, incl three premium ones of Connery, Brosnan and Moore.

I have also the Jaws one in a from Richard Kiel signed box.

#68 whaleman

whaleman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 12:26 PM

I've been wanting to get one of the Connery 1/6th figures - either Dr No or Goldfinger. Which one of these do you experts think is the better to own? Thanks!

#69 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 10:29 PM

The figures are basically the same, it just depends on which outfit you like best: Connery in classic diner jacket from Dr. No or in his dark outfit to break in at Goldfinger's factory.

There are also great Connery figures from Thunderball (in scuba outfit) and in the Legacy series from DAF (with white diner jacket!!).

But... if I had to choose I would choose the Dr. No version with dark diner jacket.

Edited by Grard Bond, 19 November 2015 - 10:35 PM.

#70 whaleman

whaleman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 02:03 PM

Thanks for the advice!

#71 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 04:51 PM

Chiming in here, as I do not agree the figures are "basically the same." 

I would advise taking a close look at both figures online.  Both the DN and GF figures have good sculpts, but they are quite different as, indeed, Connery looked different in 1962 than he did in 1964.  The DN sculpt has a slightly thinner face and thicker hair in front, while the GF figure is a bit fuller in the face and has 'flatter" hair.  The TB figure has yet another sculpt, with the mouth slightly open to accommodate the rebreather/scuba mouthpieces that came with the figure.

I made the choice to get just one figure for each actor back when I was buying these, and I was sorely tempted by the GF figure as I think it more closely represents the way most people remember Connery looking in the role (in terms of hairstyle, etc).  But in the end I decided his "night raid" outfit was too close to the black turtleneck and slacks on the LALD Roger Moore figure I already had, so I opted for the tuxedo look from DN.  I'm glad I did, as I like being able to display Connery with or without the jacket, and the bottle and drinking glass extras make for some fun poses.

Check out these links for a closer look at the DN and GF figures before making your choice:

Connery DN figure

Connery GF figure

Connery TB figure

All in all, these were fun figures: not up to "Hot Toys" standards, but on the other hand not nearly so bankruptcy-inducing, either.  Historically, EON's done a godawful job when it comes to licensing Bond for action figures (and most other things!), so for my money, the Sideshow line, though not perfect, is pretty much the cream of the crop.

#72 whaleman

whaleman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:39 PM

David M - wow, funny how your thinking is in line with my own. GF bond to me looks the best in his black sweater; but the Moore costume I like best is also LALD, very similar! The Moonraker figure just seems goofy in the space suit, and the GG figure's face just doesn't look as good to me. My goal like yours is to collect one of each Bond. Unfortunately I am late to the party and now these are difficult to find for anything less than a king's ransom.

#73 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:41 PM

I understand the Thunderball figure is different, because his mouth is open to get the rebreather in. but that was not his question: he wanted to know the difference between the Dr. No and Goldfinger Connery figures. Yes, they are slightly different but not that much, basically they are the same and I think the Dr. No one in dinner jacket is the best choice if I had to choose.

Also the Connery figures somehow look better in reality than on the promo photo's. Especially the Dr. No one. I don't know why, but that is a fact.

Edited by Grard Bond, 20 November 2015 - 10:45 PM.

#74 whaleman

whaleman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 11:04 PM

And you have all of them Grard Bond? Cool tidbit that they look better in person.

#75 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 11:17 PM

Yes I bought them all when they first came on the market.

I started the same way as you: first buying one Brosnan, one Connery, one Moore etc..but the temptation to buy them all was too big to resist.

The first one I bought was the DAD Brosnan figure. After that one I bought the two Dr. No figures Bond and the evil Doctor himself.

The most beautiful figure is the Jaws one. That's a realy great figure to ad to your collection.

Somehow they didn't realy get the women figures right. Famke, Hally and Michelle don't look realy great. Especially the Michelle Yeoh figure doesn't look right. One exception: Honor Blackman as Pussy Galore. That's a great look a like figure.

Edited by Grard Bond, 20 November 2015 - 11:18 PM.

#76 whaleman

whaleman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 12:46 AM

You guys are experts in this area - what is a good price for these figures nowadays? eBay prices are pretty crazy right now. Will this die down after the spectre hype - or are prices only going up?

#77 whaleman

whaleman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:17 PM

I just pulled the trigger on the GF Connery sideshow figure. I appreciate all the advice on here; but just looking at the photos I decided on him. And man, you guys are right - in person this figure looks so much like Connery it's incredible! Very happy! Now I have GF Connery to go beside my GE Brosnan - next I need a Roger Moore!

#78 whaleman

whaleman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 02:41 PM

Hi all, as I choose which Moore sideshow figure to go after, I wanted to ask you experts, what is the better 12" figure - Live and let die, or legacy Moore? Thanks for the help guys!

#79 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:11 AM

Wow, I forgot they even did that "Legacy" line.  It struck me at the time as Sideshow's way of clearing out inventory by putting different outfits on existing figures.  Once they started doing that, the writing was on the wall and I knew for sure the project was winding down.

I just looked up the Legacy Moore figure and remembered why I gave it a miss: the advertised prototypes seemed to be using the MWTGG sculpt, which was way off model and fugly besides.  But then I found links to the figure as actually shipped, which seems to use the superior LALD sculpt (superior being a relative thing: Sideshow never captured Roger's likeness as closely as they did the other actors).  So I guess it comes down to what you like: Roger in a sleek, black, McQueen-inspired "mission suit" or the same figure in a more iconic white dinner jacket.  Personally, I went with LALD because (1) this was the outfit featured in some of my favorite promotional photos ever (2) the big Magnum handgun was a nice contrast to the PPK my Connery figure had and (3) I liked the look of the shoulder holster.   Now that I've seen the dinner jacket, I'm still happy with my choice because the "tailoring" on the jacket is awful and makes the figure look clunkier than it really is.  Plus the collar seems to sit so high it makes Rog look like he has no neck.  He looks like an "Igor" type lab assistant in that thing.

That said, it's kind of cool it comes with extra hands. So I guess it's not exactly "the same figure." But I do wonder if the hands stay on worth a darn.  That's a weak point for a lot of toy companies.