45 replies to this topic

#1 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 09:39 AM

Ok first off, just to get all this out the way, I love the site, I appreciate all the hard work the staff members do, they keep this place running and we should all be grateful for it.
BUT
Leave the news for the professionals. Its not the strong point of this site. I may speak for myself, or I may speak for a lot of people, but I have never come to CBn to get the news, I come for the forums. I dont care if you can report the news the quickest, I just want to discuss it here, I dont care where the news came from.
Of course this all comes from the Brosnan report, and while I dont want to be ungrateful, you really shouldnt have bothered. All the hard work you put in was for nothing, we dont believe you. A simple quote from a source is not enough. And if that is all you will ever be able to offer, dont bother.
Seriously, what use has this source been to you? He/she is useless. You cant offer anything concrete, so why offer anything at all?
I wasnt trying to be rude with this post, im just offering my opinion. I may be alone in that thought, or others might agree. But this is what i think.

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 12:14 PM

I respect your opinion, but I think CBn is equally strong in all the aspects of the site, wether it be features, forums or Bond news.

#3 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 03:46 PM

No offence to CBn but I find MI6.co.uk to be stronger at reporting news.
We have the best forums though. Hence the reason why I use both.

#4 SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1946 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 03:52 PM

"Of course this all comes from the Brosnan report, and while I dont want to be ungrateful, you really shouldnt have bothered. All the hard work you put in was for nothing, we dont believe you. A simple quote from a source is not enough. And if that is all you will ever be able to offer, dont bother."

We?

Sorry, but I speak for myself, i'm not a muppet thankyou :) (although you may enjoy having a fist rammed up your...)

There's nothing wrong with CBn going into the news, it's a nice direction, if a little slow on the uptake (quite a few sites get news before CBn does).

I just hope all that promised conent relating to the films is still chugging along nicely :)

#5 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 04:08 PM

...although you may enjoy having a fist rammed up your...

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to visualize your quote. :)

I like the news being reported here.

Cheers,

4A

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 06:34 PM

I think CBn should still report news. I don't see where else you can get the kind of news we report; that the Fleming books have been discontinued in Germany, that Carrara is making a DB5 slot car, that the Vantage is the next car, that the BBC website has incredible behind the scenes clips from TSWLM and MR that have gone completely undiscovered by other websites... We are GREAT at that kind of reporting and I wish people would give us more credit for that because we take a lot of pride in our main page news. Go back have a look at what we've done in the past month for the Bond fan before you tell us to stop.

In regards to this one story...well, unlike what people are saying, we did not report an unconfirmed rumor. We don

#7 BondzBK

BondzBK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 08:04 PM

Brendan - I couldn't agree with you more. CBn clearly doesn't know any more than the rest of us, or at least nothing they can articulate, which is just as worthless. The "License Revoked" story, reported with utter finality, is their search for WMD. If it turns out to be wrong, they should apologize for jumping the gun.

Snake - Oh the fist comment was the height of wit. Sophisticated stuff.

Zencat - Give up all the rationalizations and justifications, if it turns out you're wrong, admit you're wrong. Yesterday you were equating the possibility of Brosnan staying with the odds of aliens attacking us. Today it seems much more plausible than that. ...You guys blew it. Reporting is not your forte.

#8 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 08:45 PM

And if this news turns out to be 100% true, will you still feel we should stop?

No. Bond news is for Bond sites and I think this is one of my favorite places to turn for it.

#9 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 08:56 PM

Zencat - Give up all the rationalizations and justifications, if it turns out you're wrong, admit you're wrong.  Yesterday you were equating the possibility of Brosnan staying with the odds of aliens attacking us.  Today it seems much more plausible than that.  ...You guys blew it.  Reporting is not your forte.

Every day I try and have an open conversation with the members and everyday you dog me. I don't know what you're talking about with the alien comparison. You're confusing me with someone else, I think. If I'm wrong, I will admit it. I never said I wouldn't. In meantime, give me a [censored]ing break, dude. :)

#10 CommanderBond

CommanderBond

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3135 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 08:57 PM

i think its great for CBn to post news....i come here for bond info and we get it the quickest so why stop posting news?

#11 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 09:06 PM

i think its great for CBn to post news....i come here for bond info and we get it the quickest so why stop posting news?

To actually tell the truth, earlier in 2003, I thought CBn was on or slightly below par with posting brand new news, but that thought has completely vanished from my head since a past few months, this place gets the news up very fast, IMO.

#12 BondzBK

BondzBK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 09:32 PM

Zencat...listen, dude...ease up on the martyrdom. It's not an attack on you personally, only on what so far appears to be the arrogant and wrongheaded approach to this Brosnan story of you and your fellow staffers. Mister * is ten times worse than you. Staff attitude is almost as bad as your sources. If you're right, I'll say you were right. I'll still think you handled it badly, insensitively, melodramatically, irresponsibly...but I'll give you credit for knowing what you knew before others did. Right now I think maybe you all should have spent less time patting yourselves on the back and uncorking champagne and a little more time truly INFORMING us of what you did and didn't know and why. Maybe then we would have a little more sympathy with you when/if you end up looking like fools.

Edited by BondzBK, 13 February 2004 - 09:33 PM.

#13 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 09:39 PM

well i must now say that yesterday was a complete abomination...truly and utterly a disaster and do i feel i got news? no....do i feel i got stonewalled? yes do i think that CBn thought they were on top of it yesteday?...yes were they....no

and they slap each other on the back and say job well done...what job? running around protecting some phantom source..oh excuse me "so called source"

we were dying for news and we got nothing and we still have nothing and it pains me to say this but i am very disapointed in the news team right now and thats ok cause i will get over it but CBn you gave us a big fat nothing you really did not accomplish a thing for your efforts, all i got out of yesterday was you were protecting your beloved source and thats not telling me anything about brosnan or whats going on

i love CBn and most of its members but yesterday was an important day for bond fans and we did not get served well on this site :)

#14 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 09:43 PM

Zencat...listen, dude...ease up on the martyrdom. It's not an attack on you personally, only on what so far appears to be the arrogant and wrongheaded approach to this Brosnan story of you and your fellow staffers. Mister * is ten times worse than you. Staff attitude is almost as bad as your sources. If you're right, I'll say you were right. I'll still think you handled it badly, insensitively, melodramatically, irresponsibly...but I'll give you credit for knowing what you knew before others did. Right now I think maybe you all should have spent less time patting yourselves on the back and uncorking champagne and a little more time truly INFORMING us of what you did and didn't know and why. Maybe then we would have a little more sympathy with you when/if you end up looking like fools.

Fair enough. And if my attitude of being proud of my fellow CBn team members is arrogant and wrongheaded then that

#15 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 09:47 PM

[quote name='Mister Asterix' date='13 February 2004 - 16:43'] [quote name='BondzBK' date='13 February 2004 - 15:32'] Zencat...listen, dude...ease up on the martyrdom.  It's not an attack on you personally, only on what so far appears to be the arrogant and wrongheaded approach to this Brosnan story of you and your fellow staffers.  Mister * is ten times worse than you.  Staff attitude is almost as bad as your sources.  If you're right, I'll say you were right.  I'll still think you handled it badly, insensitively, melodramatically, irresponsibly...but I'll give you credit for knowing what you knew before others did.  Right now I think maybe you all should have spent less time patting yourselves on the back and uncorking champagne and a little more time truly INFORMING us of what you did and didn't know and why.  Maybe then we would have a little more sympathy with you when/if you end up looking like fools. [/quote]
Fair enough. And if my attitude of being proud of my fellow CBn team members is arrogant and wrongheaded then that

#16 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 14 February 2004 - 12:10 AM

Could one ever be sure 100 % sure that an actor is going to leave, until he/she actually leaves.

Initially I thought "Do the CBn staff have any real journalistic training. Would they really know what to do?. Then I thought "No that's silly, I don't know any of them, how do I know that all of them haven't had journalistic training."

I think if you've got enough wit, you'll know when it's safe to put up a story as "Actual news" You would know what questions to ask? Or is that wrong?

No offense to anyone :)

#17 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 03:12 AM

It seems that the past month or so has been filled with incessant whining by some people, complaining about the way the staff does this, or how they handle that...

I don't see why CBn shouldn't cover Bond news. They seem to handle it as well as the other Bond sites, without adding words like "live news alert!" to try to make it sound cooler.

#18 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 03:43 AM

Couldn't agree more paul. Even looking at this thread in particular. These people are kind enough, and not only that, passionate enough to go through the process of putting a team of people together to run a site and forums filled with news and conversations for YOU, ME and THE MEMBERS.

To simply sit back and say the job their doing is not good enough because they won't name a "source" to me it down right rude. They've no need to reveal anything they don't want to. Take what you want to believe and leave the rest you don't.

CBn has had a pretty good track record in the past, look at the whole MGM fiasco with the script pages for DAD and other rumors that turned out true.

I might have a bee in my bonnet here. But I can't stand people being hypocritical of a site a group of people whom provide a service. And a bloody good one at that. Sure they might be wrong some times, life's full of mistakes and nothing's ever guaranteed.

If some members don't like this, and I'm asking myself as a fellow member for them to please keep their opinions to themselves or voice a concern once, not repeatedly like a school kid. If that's too much hassle, there's other forums, sites and news sources for Bond material. You could even form your own.

Till then, please bear patience with the staff who do a top job. Look at all the sections of CBn... And they do it for free. A thankyou and job well done every now and again would probably go over much better than constand complaints.

Rant over.

#19 BondzBK

BondzBK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 04:03 AM

Hate to break it to you 1q, but I'm the one who got the DAD pages, not the CBn staff. So much for that "scoop". And today and yesterday are the first days I've posted here in quite a while, so I couldn't be this "incessant whining" that you're all referring to. I'm just a guy with medium to average intelligence who doesn't like the Brosnan Is Dead rumor-as-fact "exclusive" and the slow backing away from what I think is going to be a huge mistake. We'll see.

Meanwhile, maybe your members wouldn't complain so much if all your staff didn't come off so hair-trigger antagonistic and superior.

#20 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 04:12 AM

So you wrote the story on the main page about the DAD pages? Or would that make you the "source".

Nice of you to come back and do some posting. You've missed a fair bit of crap the staff have copped. Much of it unjust by other members, so if i've roped you into that bunch unjust, I apologise, that's my bad.

I didn't see anywhere where the "Brosnan is dead" was reported as exclusive? I thought MKKBB broke it first...

#21 BondzBK

BondzBK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 04:25 AM

Yeah, I was the writer of that piece and the one who got busted on the pages. It was my mistake to release them the way I did and get people in trouble, and I apologized. That's why I expect CBn to do the same if this all turns out to be normal negotiation stuff.

I really am repeating myself now, but just to be clear - they reported that they had substantiated the rumors, it was all true, and Brosnan was out. Period. They could have said it was in flux, things were up in the air, etc. No. So live by the sword, die by the sword. I think they wound us all up for no real good reason and things are far from that certain. Like I said, we'll see.

#22 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 04:30 AM

Yeah, I was the writer of that piece and the one who got busted on the pages. It was my mistake to release them the way I did and get people in trouble, and I apologized. That's why I expect CBn to do the same if this all turns out to be normal negotiation stuff.

Fair one. I agree with that. Makes sense. But I'm choosing to give them benifit of the doubt. I just doubt they'd run with it if there was no substance to it. The fact that MKKBB reported it as well which is I believe pretty closely associated with Glidrose Productions or now Ian Fleming Publications adds weight in my humble opinion.

Guess all we can do is play the waiting game.

#23 BondzBK

BondzBK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 04:33 AM

Oh and yeah, I realize this is just a fan site - who cares, right? But their unwillingness to concede they might have been premature just riled me up I guess... I don't think they should get off on upsetting fans needlessly.

#24 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 05:02 AM

And your a shining role model for that arn't you Bondzbk?

I was having comp problems when all this occured, and only arrived back a day or so ago. And I landed into this. At first I was a little uneasy with the news, but after I've seen what the rest of the staff have been through during this period, I don't beleive you have the right to say such rude remarks.

How would you know what happen behind the scene? You have no idea. We're not some evil corporate team, trying to brainwash and confuse Bond fans, because WE are Bond fans also! The CBn team is made up of what I beleive to be a talented pool of people from around the world. With familys, jobs, school and hobbies. We put everything we can into making this website, giving a place for fans everywhere to unite and discuss things. Unlike some other sites, we don't put every dollar we have into buying fifteen domains and linking them to CBn, we can't constantly stick by our computers, refreshing our emails every four news, or searching 24 hours a day for information. Why not? Because we are normal people, who lead normal lives. At the end of the day, we like to log on to CBn report, and mingle with the rest of the members on the forums.

While all the CBn team has equal roles and are treated the same, I don't see myself as a main player, reason being I read just about every post on CBn, and although I don't reply to most of them, I absorb and listen to everything. I feel I could write a book on "Bond Websites"

Some may remember a while ago, there was an 'incident' between CBn and MI6. I don't care, I'm going to say it www.mi6.co.uk. ( Isn't it nice that I can type that address and not come up with "Another Bond Site"? Freedom of speech is a nice thing). And the stories there...well, I would have some interesting stories to tell.

For instance, sabotage. Odd, not something you would expect from fansites? but it happens. I recall and event where we accepted a new member on the team, and he and I got along quite well. We talked and shared stuff, and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. There was also a member of the forums, who had been with us just about from the start, and he was a good conversation. Then we noticed leaks, and by that I mean, news that only we had obtained got out, plans to start a new section on CBn, then suddenly another website had one. Very curious indeed.
Turns out, this new team member was 'hired' by "Another Bond Website" (I won't name names - wait, lets call them the K.G.B ) to spy on us. Yes, spy. (You would expect that to stay in the movies and books. ) I found that most bizarre, why would someone send someone to spy on another fansite?

Not long after we give the spy the boot, the K.G.B pull out of an 'partnership' we had, and declared themselves the best bond site on the internet. Friendly and trustworthy. *Cough Cough*.

I've been with CBn for a quite some time, and I wasn't always a staff member. Looking back, I can remember being an annoying little brat who kept asking Blue Eye and Dave for news on Bond 20. And when Dan saw a site of mine based on the 007 games, he "hired" me. And it wasn't what I expected. I expected to be bossed around and told to type up reports, but it wasn't that way at all. It was just friends trying to run a webpage for others, not for "power", but just to share our views and ideas on JAMES BOND.

I think people are forgetting what it's all about. It's about Bond. British secret service agent, 007. Ian Fleming's creation, which Albert R. Broccoli brought to the screen.

---

I've no doubt there will be some strong repsonse to this post, and so there should. But I'm speaking out, on my own, because I've had enough of all the crap being put towards CBn. And I'm willing to answer any questions.

#25 BondzBK

BondzBK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 05:10 AM

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

(sniffle sniffle)

I particularly enjoyed the reminiscence of when you were just a wee lad looking forward to Bond 20. Way back in 2001-2002.

I'm not a spy, and none of this addressed what I was talking about.

#26 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 05:12 AM

And your a shining role model for that arn't you Bondzbk?

I was having comp problems when all this occured, and only arrived back a day or so ago. And I landed into this. At first I was a little uneasy with the news, but after I've seen what the rest of the staff have been through during this period, I don't beleive you have the right to say such rude remarks.

How would you know what happen behind the scene? You have no idea. We're not some evil corporate team, trying to brainwash and confuse Bond fans, because WE are Bond fans also! The CBn team is made up of what I beleive to be a talented pool of people from around the world. With familys, jobs, school and hobbies. We put everything we can into making this website, giving a place for fans everywhere to unite and discuss things. Unlike some other sites, we don't put every dollar we have into buying fifteen domains and linking them to CBn, we can't constantly stick by our computers, refreshing our emails every four news, or searching 24 hours a day for information. Why not? Because we are normal people, who lead normal lives. At the end of the day, we like to log on to CBn report, and mingle with the rest of the members on the forums.

While all the CBn team has equal roles and are treated the same, I don't see myself as a main player, reason being I read just about every post on CBn, and although I don't reply to most of them, I absorb and listen to everything. I feel I could write a book on "Bond Websites"

Some may remember a while ago, there was an 'incident' between CBn and MI6. I don't care, I'm going to say it www.mi6.co.uk. ( Isn't it nice that I can type that address and not come up with "Another Bond Site"? Freedom of speech is a nice thing).  And the stories there...well, I would have some interesting stories to tell.

For instance, sabotage. Odd, not something you would expect from fansites? but it happens. I recall and event where we accepted a new member on the team, and he and I got along quite well. We talked and shared stuff, and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. There was also a member of the forums, who had been with us just about from the start, and he was a good conversation. Then we noticed leaks, and by that I mean, news that only we had obtained got out, plans to start a new section on CBn, then suddenly another website had one. Very curious indeed.
Turns out, this new team member was 'hired' by "Another Bond Website" (I won't name names - wait, lets call them the K.G.B ) to spy on us. Yes, spy. (You would expect that to stay in the movies and books. ) I found that most bizarre, why would someone send someone to spy on another fansite?

Not long after we give the spy the boot, the K.G.B pull out of an 'partnership' we had, and declared themselves the best bond site on the internet. Friendly and trustworthy. *Cough Cough*.

I've been with CBn for a quite some time, and I wasn't always a staff member.  Looking back, I can remember being an annoying little brat who kept asking Blue Eye and Dave for news on Bond 20. And when Dan saw a site of mine based on the 007 games, he "hired" me. And it wasn't what I expected. I expected to be bossed around and told to type up reports, but it wasn't that way at all. It was just friends trying to run a webpage for others, not for "power", but just to share our views and ideas on JAMES BOND.

I think people are forgetting what it's all about. It's about Bond. British secret service agent, 007. Ian Fleming's creation, which Albert R. Broccoli brought to the screen.

---

I've no doubt there will be some strong repsonse to this post, and so there should. But I'm speaking out, on my own, because I've had enough of all the crap being put towards CBn. And I'm willing to answer any questions.

VERY WELL SAID ICEPHOENIX. VERY WELL SAID! I think you said some of the very best things about CBn! This is truly, in my opinion, the very best the internet has to offer on James Bond.

#27 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 05:24 AM

[quote name='BondzBK' date='14 February 2004 - 05:10'] ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

(sniffle sniffle)

I particularly enjoyed the reminiscence of when you were just a wee lad looking forward to Bond 20.

#28 BondzBK

BondzBK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 05:39 AM

You write "War And Peace" and I'M babbling??

I'm older than you.

No, really, it was very touching. I didn't know this site was run by humble everyday ordinary people with moms...and-and dads...(sob)...I'm sorry.

#29 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 05:41 AM

I'll add my two cents on the news reporting.

For book coverage: CB.n my a mile.

For film coverage: MI6

It's odd. I like both, as in sites and forums. I like Roger Moore, but he's not that popular on MI6. I don't like Benson (what does an axe do? :) ), but he's really popular over here.

As I've always said about the films: "The Bond series is like a big buffet; there's something for everyone, but most of it has a bad taste."

So with eveything I picka nd choose. We're all Bond fans. :)

#30 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 05:51 AM

[quote] I'm older than you. [/quote]

Then start acting like it! It's a shame when a 16 yr old has more common sense and maturity then yourself.

[quote]No, really, it was very touching.