62 replies to this topic

#31 ChitownGE2

ChitownGE2

Cadet

• Crew
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 04:58 PM

[quote name='Jaelle' date='2 February 2004 - 17:06']
[quote name='Dr. Tynan' date='30 January 2004 - 20:59']I forgot to mention two other favorite Tim roles: Sheriff Dex in MADE MEN (another VERY nasty character who's involved with Jim Belushi's mistress; in one scene he gives her one long full kiss and then the next moment he shoots her in the head)

View Post

[/quote]

I remember seeing that movie couple of years ago, I was surprised to see Dalton doing southern accent. I never saw in that Scarlet movie, I never really wanted to see it, not my type of movie. You're right about him playing one bad mothera *****, was good playing the corrupt, heartless, sheriff.

#32 Lady Rose

Lady Rose

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 384 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 05:03 PM

As a life long fan, I must have seen just about everything he has been in ( and owned it too!).He always comes out with a credible performance even if the material is not that great and he has had as many misses as he has hits.Never mind,you can never call him a boring actor,he's always willing to give most roles a go.I do however think he is much better at dark,emotional roles above all else.

My favourites are The Rockeeter ( he was a tremendous villain) and Jane Eyre.Also really enjoyed Flash Gordon and Hawks.I also enjoyed most of the mini series he was in in the 80'S like Sins,Mistrals Daughter and Florence Nightingale.Of his recent stuff I liked Possessed and Cleopatra ( though that deteriorated rapidly after he dies).I am surprised nobody has mentioned Centennial.That is the first thing I remember seeing him in.He was excellent as Oliver Secombe.

An excellent actor and very underrated.

#33 Mr. Somerset

Mr. Somerset

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 10:29 PM

Tim is a charismatic A-list movie star in Timeshare and Framed.

However, Hawks has to be the best non-Bond film made by any of the actors, and that includes Mr-Oscar-for-the-Untouchables-garbage-accent-Connery.

View Post

Glad to see another fan appreciate Hawks! Dalton does give an Oscar worthy performance in that film. Edwards does also IMO.

View Post

Yup, just think if Tim had got an Oscar in 88 Bond would have been his for as long as he'd wanted it and we'd have been spared Mr TV-movie Brozza.

View Post

Exactly! Also, there probably have been more of a range in styles during his longer reign as OO7. Who knows, maybe they would've modified his personal talent for humour (a'la Hawks) to suit his interpretaion of Bond, thus not alienating the fans who grew up with the more light-hearted Moore. Truely would've been more interesting had he continued and explored the possibilities.

View Post

If anyone's seen Hawks (for the humour) and Framed for the cool-confident, knows just what you've said - if Tim had had the chance to do a true series of movies there could have been variety. For heaven's sake, how many people expected the 1991 Dalton film to be LTK2? It would have been a big, super cool Goldfinger type. And Tim would have done it to perfection.

View Post

I couldn't agree more. I wonder what the original treatment to his third outing was really like? I recall seeing TD on The Arsenio Hall show in 1991 (promoting The Rocketeer), and he said it was a nice Bond film being written, and he was hoping to do it soon. I think he was referring to the Alphonse Ruggiero script/treatment.
By the way, I agree he was excellent in Framed. He probably could've played Bond up to the late 90s TWINE era.

#34 trevanian

trevanian

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 355 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:12 PM

anybody see PERMISSION TO KILL from 85? Dalton has a feature part as a compromised gay spy, it is ava gardner's last movie I think. Hard to find, not very good as I recall.

I love HAWKS and LION IN WNTER; DR & DEVILS starts promising, but peters out. I saw part of the IRA thing and thought he was solid, saw part of a 90s era flick with him playing a sadistic southern sheriff that looked okay as well, with him in the preferred 'tough' mode.

#35 Mr. Somerset

Mr. Somerset

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:58 PM

anybody see PERMISSION TO KILL from 85? Dalton has a feature part as a compromised gay spy, it is ava gardner's last movie I think. Hard to find, not very good as I recall.

I love HAWKS and LION IN WNTER; DR & DEVILS starts promising, but peters out. I saw part of the IRA thing and thought he was solid, saw part of a 90s era flick with him playing a sadistic southern sheriff that looked okay as well, with him in the preferred 'tough' mode.

View Post

Never seen it, but would love to as I am also a big Ava fan. Not certain, but I think it might've been released on VHS in the 80s. I imagine one might be able to find an old rental copy somewhere at a VHS blowout sale. Maybe I'll check ebay

#36 Milovy

Milovy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 01:01 AM

My friend and I are having a Timothy Dalton film festival of sorts. Catching up on old stuff or watching stuff not seen before...

Wuthering Heights was Dalton's first starring film role (I think). It is OK, I suppose, but it's not my favorite Bronte story (I prefer Jane Eyre) and it's really romance novelish with a capital R. Dalton doesn't do a whole lot of speaking in the first part of this movie, he just glowers sullenly, but gets more talkative as the film goes on. I honestly really was like "Eh... what's the big deal about this?" for most of the film but THEN there's that scene near the end where he digs up Cathy's grave and it's like watching a Ferrari take off. Great stuff, well shot, well directed, well scored, some powerful acting by Tim, very haunting sequence.

I think he has just gotten better and better as an actor as the years go by. He was very young in this (23 I think?) but already you could see signs of where he would be going as a mature performer in years to come.

#37 Lady Rose

Lady Rose

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 384 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:46 AM

Wuthering Heights was Dalton's first starring film role (I think).

The Lion In Winter was Tims film debut along with Anthony Hopkins. If you haven't seen this then you really should. Astonishing performances all round. and you can see why htere was so much fuss and excitement about the actors coming through.

#38 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:12 AM

FLASH GORDON (1980) - no contest! :cooltongue:

#39 Milovy

Milovy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:17 AM

Lady Rose - actually I meant starring, as in first-billed. In The Lion in Winter he was a supporting character, or member of the ensemble.

#40 Lady Rose

Lady Rose

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 384 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:39 AM

Lady Rose - actually I meant starring, as in first-billed. In The Lion in Winter he was a supporting character, or member of the ensemble.

Gotcha.

Actually, I agree with you about WH. It does start off slow and most of the emphasis is on Cathy, but then the book is like that. The last part of the film is my favourite and TD comes into his own then.

Apparently the end shot where they run off together as ghosts was added later as the producers wanted a more romantic ending.

#41 Mamadou

Mamadou

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 305 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 01:41 PM

Wuthering Heights was Dalton's first starring film role (I think). It is OK, I suppose, but it's not my favorite Bronte story (I prefer Jane Eyre) and it's really romance novelish with a capital R. Dalton doesn't do a whole lot of speaking in the first part of this movie, he just glowers sullenly, but gets more talkative as the film goes on. I honestly really was like "Eh... what's the big deal about this?" for most of the film but THEN there's that scene near the end where he digs up Cathy's grave and it's like watching a Ferrari take off. Great stuff, well shot, well directed, well scored, some powerful acting by Tim, very haunting sequence.

I haven't seen Tim's version, but frequently in film adaptations of Emily Bront

#42 SeanDalton77

SeanDalton77

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 08:47 PM

I reacently saw The Lion In Winter he was great in that and the only other one of his i watch when i can is Flash Gordan

#43 LadySylvia

LadySylvia

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 05:44 AM

I've seen a good number of Timothy Dalton movies and television appearances over the years. So far, my favorites are:

1. THE ROCKETEER - he made a great villain

2. SCARLETT - actually, I rather liked this miniseries and although Dalton's South Carolina accent was dicey, he still made a great Rhett Butler

3. THE LION IN THE WINTER - great debut

4. HOT FUZZ - villainous and very, very funny

5. POSSESSED - another great dramatic role for Dalton

6. SINS - a miniseries he had made with Joan Collins in which he played her younger brother who had survived a Nazi death camp

#44 Milovy

Milovy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 11:58 AM

Minniespinney, are you talking about when he played Edgar?

Because one thing I hope he does in the future is to play King Lear himself. He would be quite awesome in that role, I imagine.

Interestingly, I don't believe he ever played Hamlet -- not in a full length production, anyway (I think he did some fifteen-minute thing for the opening of a theater, once).

In terms of Shakespeare, I think he made the most impact with two roles that are not really considered "great" roles in the canon -- Hotspur in Henry IV, and Antony in Antony and Cleopatra. In any case these are the ones he seemed to get the most attention for.

I distinctly remember seeing a photo of him as Hotspur in Time or Newsweek many, many years ago (back when they covered the London theatre...)

#45 Mamadou

Mamadou

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 305 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 03:00 PM

Minniespinney, are you talking about when he played Edgar?

Because one thing I hope he does in the future is to play King Lear himself. He would be quite awesome in that role, I imagine.

Interestingly, I don't believe he ever played Hamlet -- not in a full length production, anyway (I think he did some fifteen-minute thing for the opening of a theater, once).

In terms of Shakespeare, I think he made the most impact with two roles that are not really considered "great" roles in the canon -- Hotspur in Henry IV, and Antony in Antony and Cleopatra. In any case these are the ones he seemed to get the most attention for.

I distinctly remember seeing a photo of him as Hotspur in Time or Newsweek many, many years ago (back when they covered the London theatre...)

You've got to be careful about what you say is considered "great" in the Shakepsearean canon. There are, in some ways, two standards for great roles in Shakespeare: favorites of audiences and readers; and favorites of actors and directors. Sometimes they overlap, sometimes they don't. "Romeo & Juliet" and "Hamlet," for instance, are probably the most recognizable plays and characters by Shakespeare, and R&J is always a favorite. But to use your examples, "Antony & Cleopatra" is actually a favorite among theatre people (actors and directors) more than it is among actual theatregoers and casual readers. And Hotspur's kind of an odd case, since "Henry IV, Part One" is often not high on audience favorites lists, though actors and directors like the play a lot, but when people do actually sit down and watch the play, Hotspur quickly becomes a favorite. There are obviously many other examples of both cases, as well as those of the overlap.

And, to stay on topic, I also sincerely hope Tim gets to play Lear. And if that's the case, I hope I can go see it.

#46 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 03:17 PM

He has said that he wants to play King Lear in the future. Hopefully, it'll happen one day, and we'll all be there to see it. :cooltongue:

#47 Lady Rose

Lady Rose

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 384 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 05:42 PM

He has said that he wants to play King Lear in the future. Hopefully, it'll happen one day, and we'll all be there to see it. :cooltongue:

:angry:

Count me in!

#48 timourinho

timourinho

Recruit

• Crew
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:31 PM

jane eyre!!!
MR ROCHESTER forever!!!

#49 puck

puck

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:23 PM

Reading your comments I so want to see Hawks and Framed and several others now. Of the non Bond films I've seen . . . my favorites are:

Lion In Winter . . seriously what's not to love?

Hot Fuzz Again perfection from strat to finish.

Jane Eyre A recent adaptation of this got me so wicked off I reviewed it on Amazon. I only recently saw Tim/Zelah version and discuss it and TD toward the end. I may get around to doing a full review of that one too. Anyway here's the link for anyone who is interested.

Just scroll down -> puck (July 5) Jane Eyre Review at Amazon

#50 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 05:18 PM

I had to laugh at Chaotician's mention of Brenda Starr! LOL!! This film was made in 1986 and due to lawsuits and federal investigations of the producers, it was only released 6 years later. (It was the film that Tim had to finish before doing TLD). It was meant as a showcase for the young starlet Brooke Shields, intended as her first major film role. It's hilariously BAD!! But I love ogling Tim running around wearing a Zorro-like outfit and an eyepatch always rescuing Brooke just in the nick of time. Brooke's verdict on Tim: "Timothy Dalton is very sweet and very sexy, it was nice kissing him." (She was about 19, he was 39 or so).

Actually Brooke Shields was pretty much a household name before 1986. Her first big breakout role was The Blue Lagoon in 1980.

#51 Blonde Bond

Blonde Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:07 PM

I think I've only seen two non-bond films of his.

The first one being a romantic comedy starring 'the Nanny' Fran Drescher, in which Dalton played a king perhaps, on which Fran's character had a crush on. In the movie Dalton sported a moustache.

Speaking of moustaches, the another non-bond film in which I've seen Dalton was another of those movies where he sported a moustache and the movies was a little film called 'Hot Fuzz' that came out not so long ago :cooltongue:

Other than those two, I dont remember seeing any other movies with Dalton.

Edited by Blonde Bond, 23 August 2007 - 07:07 PM.

#52 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:43 PM

Jane Eyre

:cooltongue:

Forget James Bond. Edward Rochester's the role that should be on his tombstone. An amazing performance.

#53 Mr. Somerset

Mr. Somerset

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:30 PM

I like Flash Gordon and a little movie called Hawks with a pre-ER Anthony Edwards. They play terminal cancer patients who break away from their hospice to live a little bit and trying not to think about their fate. It's a nice little film and gives Dalton a chance to show his humorous side.

I'm surprised Jaelle hasn't jumped on this thread yet.

Glad to see there are other Hawks fans out there. That's my number one pick.
Then I'd go with Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, and Lion In Winter.
Rocketeer is up there as well.

#54 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:56 AM

The Rocketeer

#55 Stephen Spotswood

Stephen Spotswood

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:34 PM

I think I've only seen two non-bond films of his.

The first one being a romantic comedy starring 'the Nanny' Fran Drescher, in which Dalton played a king perhaps, on which Fran's character had a crush on. In the movie Dalton sported a moustache.

Speaking of moustaches, the another non-bond film in which I've seen Dalton was another of those movies where he sported a moustache and the movies was a little film called 'Hot Fuzz' that came out not so long ago :cooltongue:

Other than those two, I dont remember seeing any other movies with Dalton.

That was The Beautician and the Beast. I read in an interview that TD was using a Romanian accent. The accent was much better than Gary Oldmans.

http://images.google...2004-25,GGLD:en

Edited by Stephen Spotswood, 24 August 2007 - 08:36 PM.

#56 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 05:49 AM

Wuthering Heights, Flash Gordon and Hot Fuzz.

#57 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 06:57 PM

I'd say Hot Fuzz now.

#58 puck

puck

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 04:54 PM

I think he also got excellent notice for his portrayal of Petruchio in "The Taming of The Shrew'

#59 O.H.M.S.S.

O.H.M.S.S.

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 07:21 PM

Timothy Dalton made one of the greatest film debuts in The Lion in Winter, next to other brilliant actors like Peter O'Toole and Anthony Hopkins. This is one of my alltime favorites. Another performance I think is worth mentioning is Dalton's protrayal of Julius Caesar in Cleopatra. Not a great film, but thanks to Dalton it is enjoyable. Anyway, I do think haven't seen enough of him. I want to buy Cromwell, Agatha, The Doctor and the Devils, The Roketeer and Possessed. But I can't find them anywhere.

Edited by O.H.M.S.S., 23 September 2007 - 07:21 PM.

#60 Tatiana Romanova

Tatiana Romanova

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 10:49 AM

Jane Eyre.