This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Which Bond authors were hugely successful?

42 replies to this topic

#31 Predator007

Predator007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 04:29 PM

I think the reason the later Gardner, and to a greater extent, the Benson novels, aren't as commercially successful is because there are very few people anymore who take the time to read a book. I assume that back in Flemings successful years, a lot of his reading audience was made up of young people. Reading a book was considered entertainment. About halfway through Gardner's tenure, home video game systems really took off,decreasing time spent reading. As for Benson, i think it can be argued that people spend so many hours on the internet that it doesn't leave much time for reading a 250-300 page Bond novel. Anymore, at least where i live, people look at you like you're crazy if you like to spend time reading a good book instead of getting your entertainment "quick fix" from the internet,etc.

Edited by Predator007, 27 January 2004 - 04:30 PM.

#32 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 04:49 PM

Anymore, at least where i live, people look at you like you're crazy if you like to spend time reading a good book instead of getting your entertainment "quick fix" from the internet,etc.

That is sadly the case in many places. Where I live included. I thoroughly enjoy the internet, but I think I like books just as much. There's no greater feeling when you know another James Bond novel is on it's way out to be published. It's great to know you'll have another book to fly through! That's my thought at least.

#33 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 05:31 PM

the first four Gardner continuation novels had sold 5 million worldwide by 1985.

The first four Gardners sold five million? I don't know the publishing game at all, but that sounds pretty respectable.

Much more respectable than the sales of the last four novels ("High Time to Kill", "Doubleshot", "Never Dream of Dying" and "The Man With the Red Tattoo"). Yes, I know some of them had tiny print runs (but, hey, if there's next to zero demand, why bust a gut with the supply?), but, still, talk about a dead duck.

Rest in peace, literary Bond.

#34 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 05:35 PM

I think the reason the later Gardner, and to a greater extent, the Benson novels, aren't as commercially successful is because there are very few people anymore who take the time to read a book.

Not quite sure I buy that. Yes, there's the internet, DVDs and so on, but people still buy and read novels. Actually, if not for the net, I personally would never have heard of the Benson Bond novels.

#35 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 06:22 PM

How can Benson be the best of the continuation novelists when Gardner had a better grasp of the English language?!

Better cover art :) Thats how I got the best grade in my class on our poetry project. :)

#36 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 08:39 PM

How can Benson be the best of the continuation novelists when Gardner had a better grasp of the English language?!

With better plots, better characters, better stories and no stupid double-triple crosses!!!!

#37 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 09:09 PM

I will agree with what Predator said to an extent about not as many people reading. Sure, there will always be a segment of people who read and buy brand new books, but how many of the younger generation that learned about Bond through video games went on to seek out Bond books? Likely very few.

I also remember the publicity with the revival of the literary Bond back in the early '80s and looking at the weekly New York Times Bestseller lists in my newspaper to see where the latest Gardner book was. As time wore on, I still looked but his name seemed to disappear.

The other thing about the Bond novels of the past 10 or 12 years was not only did the advertising dry up, you couldn't find reviews of the things anywhere. I looked for them in vain in the free papers at the libraries or newspapers and you'd never know there was a new one except through the word of mouth on fan sites and such. I think people have just grown tired of the literary Bond.

But one thing puzzles me. If there were such short print runs supposedly on the Benson novels, why have I seen some of them in the reduced shelves in Barnes and Noble or from Edward R. Hamilton?

#38 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 01:21 AM

I will agree with what Predator said to an extent about not as many people reading. Sure, there will always be a segment of people who read and buy brand new books, but how many of the younger generation that learned about Bond through video games went on to seek out Bond books? Likely very few.

I also remember the publicity with the revival of the literary Bond back in the early '80s and looking at the weekly New York Times Bestseller lists in my newspaper to see where the latest Gardner book was. As time wore on, I still looked but his name seemed to disappear.

The other thing about the Bond novels of the past 10 or 12 years was not only did the advertising dry up, you couldn't find reviews of the things anywhere. I looked for them in vain in the free papers at the libraries or newspapers and you'd never know there was a new one except through the word of mouth on fan sites and such. I think people have just grown tired of the literary Bond.

But one thing puzzles me. If there were such short print runs supposedly on the Benson novels, why have I seen some of them in the reduced shelves in Barnes and Noble or from Edward R. Hamilton?

I may be an exception.

Goldeneye for N64 was what got me into Bond, then I watched the movies, then i got the books.

#39 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 05:49 AM

Ditto, Johnboy!

#40 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 09:33 AM

how many of the younger generation that learned about Bond through video games went on to seek out Bond books? Likely very few.

But should the Bond novels necessarily be aimed at the young? That was a big problem with the Benson era, IMO: his books were targeted too squarely at the teen crowd, people who wanted to read about, essentially, the Bond of the MGM/Eon films.

More adult style would have been welcome. I don't mean extreme violence and sex scenes (Benson tried those, to little effect), but sophistication, writing by grown-ups for grown-ups.

#41 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 01:46 PM

I don't agree with the idea that people don't read anymore or than they are bored by James Bond books.
People go on reading good thrillers!!
Robert Ludlum, Tom Clancy and many others still sell many books.
A good new James Bons book with strong advertising still can work well in bookshops.
But if only the fans are notify that there are new James Bond books available, only fans will read them.
If there is good advertising thriller lovers will ead them too!

#42 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 04:37 PM

More adult style would have been welcome. I don't mean extreme violence and sex scenes (Benson tried those, to little effect), but sophistication, writing by grown-ups for grown-ups.

I think Fleming nailed it perfectly when he had the idea to write fairy tales for adults. I think that is what helps to give them their flavor and increasing popularity with many people.

I'm not sure if the continuation authors had that in mind, sure they did write great books, and I love them, but Fleming knew what was wanted and how to deliver it in the right style.

#43 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 09:20 PM

I may be an exception.

Goldeneye for N64 was what got me into Bond, then I watched the movies, then i got the books.

I am glad you were one of those who did discover the books through N64. But I'll stick to my theory that you (and dark) are more the exception than the rule.

Back when I was a teen around 14 or 15, I tried hard to read the Fleming books. Two things threw me -- that they were so different for the most part from the films and the writing was, well, above me. I was an American kid heavily into sports and things. The world Fleming was describing was beyond me, and it took a few years to gain some worldly experience for me to appreciate the books for what they were.

I still believe that the Bond books can be a relevant part of literature just as I do about the films. Maybe the character is just being taken for granted. Give him a rest and let him come back strong.