38 replies to this topic

#1 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 02:44 PM

I recently became interested in trying to find this the TV Guide issue that contains Raymond Benson's short story, Live at Five. I found out that there are two versions of TV Guide with this story. There is the normal one and a larger cable version. Do any of you know if one is better than the other? Is one more rare than the other? I think I would prefer the smaller one so that it fits with my James Bond paperbacks. Can somebody help me? Thanks.

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 05:18 PM

The story is the same in both issues (except the illustration that accompanies the story is bigger in the mag/cable version). The smaller, normal TV Guide will be the easier one to find. Check eBay or Raymond's site.

#3 MrDraco

MrDraco

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 05:35 PM

I should aquire this for my own reading as well, i've never had time to find it, is it worth the look?

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 05:39 PM

I do think it Raymond's best short story (although I've never read the long version of Blast from the Past). It's also cool that it's the first piece of official Bond fiction that is a period piece. It takes place in 1985.

http://forums.comman...=&postid=186805

#5 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 06:49 PM

I wish I could find these short stories... I'd really like to read em'!

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 06:52 PM

Back when Benson was doing the novels there was a plan to eventually put all the short stories into a book ala FYEO. But now that the new "brain trust" at IFF have decided we only want to read and re-read Fleming for the rest of our lives, looks like those plans are long gone. Pity.

#7 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 11:30 PM

Originally posted by zencat
Back when Benson was doing the novels there was a plan to eventually put all the short stories into a book ala FYEO. But now that the new "brain trust" at IFF have decided we only want to read and re-read Fleming for the rest of our lives, looks like those plans are long gone. Pity.

dammit:(

#8 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 12:00 AM

Do you really believe that Ian Fleming Publications is finished with the continuation novels, or do you think that IFP just hasn't found the right author yet? A couple of years ago there were rumors that The Day of the Jackal author Frederick Forsyth was approached to write a James Bond novel. Unfortunately, he declined.

IFP is also sponsoring the Ian Fleming Steel Dagger Award of the British Crime Writers Association for the year's best thriller. I wonder if Steel Dagger winners or finalists will be approached to continue the James Bond novels?

#9 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 01:37 AM

Oh yes, Righty, you told me about this. I'm drooling for it... :) I only need those three short stories by Benson to have every Bond novel. Hopefully someday.

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 05:09 AM

Originally posted by Triton
Do you really believe that Ian Fleming Publications is finished with the continuation novels, or do you think that IFP just hasn't found the right author yet?  A couple of years ago there were rumors that The Day of the Jackal author Frederick Forsyth was approached to write a James Bond novel. Unfortunately, he declined.

IFP is also sponsoring the Ian Fleming Steel Dagger Award of the British Crime Writers Association for the year's best thriller. I wonder if Steel Dagger winners or finalists will be approached to continue the James Bond novels?

I don't know the answer to this Triton, but I think you could really be onto something with this Steel Dagger contest being a way to select a new continuation author. This never occurred to me but...this is a VERY interesting thought/theory. Hmmm.

#11 jwheels

jwheels

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 05:52 AM

Originally posted by Qwerty
Oh yes, Righty, you told me about this. I'm drooling for it... :) I only need those three short stories by Benson to have every Bond novel. Hopefully someday.

I am in the same boat Qwerty! It frustrates me that they are not in one volum like FYEO or OP.

As for the award, that is an interesting idea, I would like to see if that pans out.

#12 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 07:21 PM

Yeah jwheels57, I agree, just get those short stories in one book and get it out for sale. I'll buy it in a heartbeat!

#13 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 07:32 PM

You can always let the folks at Ian Fleming Publications know of your desire for a Benson collection of short stories here: http://www.ianflemingcentre.com/

#14 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 07:44 PM

I have visited that site several times Zen, but the chances of them actually listening are probabaly none at all. :) I'll have to keep dreaming or do a lot of searching for the two Playboy's and that elusive TV Guide. :)

#15 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 02:03 AM

Damn! A Benson short story collection would have been good. So I take it that there's no point waiting for the "good people" at IFF to announce who will take over from Benson with the continuation novels?
Hmm, we don't get no respect.

Vodka Martino

#16 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 03:53 AM

Originally posted by Vodka Martino

Damn! A Benson short story collection would have been good. So I take it that there's no point waiting for the "good people" at IFF to announce who will take over from Benson with the continuation novels?
Hmm, we don't get no respect.

Vodka Martino

Ha Ha, no we don't. Well, they should know that there are several loyal fans out there who are desperately waiting! :) (Myself included) although, the chances are very slim. :)

#17 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 05:19 PM

The only hope I still cling to would be a collection like the one they recently did for Chandler's Philip Marlowe, or the countless Holmes collections where they have a barrage of accomplished authors present a Bond story. Raymond's three stories would fit nicely into such a set. In addition, it would give us a chance to see what some of the potential continuation author's, whose names and attributes we debate constantly, could bring to the table.
I know it is just a pipe dream that the little fan boy inside of me hopes for, but it would be nice, and could actually sell a few copies given some of the names that might be involved.
If such a project were going to happen, however, you think the IFF would have rolled it out for the 50th. Oh well.

#18 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 05:24 PM

Originally posted by clinkeroo

If such a project were going to happen, however, you think the IFF would have rolled it out for the 50th.  Oh well.  

I suppose the really big anniversary year might be 2008, the centenary of Fleming's birth. In that year, we might even get a new novel (by Martin Amis or some other big name who'll sell plenty of copies).

Yeah, you're not the only one whose fanboy imagination is running away with him.:):)

#19 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 04:07 AM

I finally got it! It's the larger cable magazine editon and the little artwork at the beginning. It was a great read, short of course, but very good. I'd recommend it to all other Bond fans!

Many thanks to Righty007 for information about it and starting this thread! :)

~Devin
--Qwerty--

#20 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 06:31 AM

I had forgotten all about this but I do remember thinking it was interesting and entertaining enough for what it was.

#21 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 06:35 AM

Yes, it is indeed about 2-3 pages, but the context is excellent and Benson wastes no time in coming up with a great plot with very little to qrite about it. Very good! On to finding the other two short stories....

#22 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 06:36 AM

Given the assignment that Benson was given he does a good job!

#23 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 06:45 AM

One stupid mistake of mine: I always thought it was called Life At Five, why, I don't know. :)

I thought the female roles were handled well and I like how the finale of thr short story ends up, but I won't say anything to not spoil the story for non-readers yet. It's good though, go get it! :)

#24 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 01:54 PM

I also like that this short is a James Bond period piece set in the '80s. Kind of clool.

#25 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 04:48 PM

I am tempted to go and unearth my copy....I wonder if they will ever put the Benson short stories into a compendium edition ala FOR YOUR EYES ONLY?

#26 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 07:23 PM

I HOPE SO SNOWIE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been wanting one so much!! It would sell! If only they would realize that! :) :)

Zencat, I do too like how it flashes back from the present. Very nice.

#27 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 08:41 PM

They need only look at the books FOR YOUR EYES ONLY and OCTOPUSSY to see there is an audience for it.

#28 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 09:25 PM

Do we know if the continuation novels written by Raymond Benson were successful for all those involved? I had a very difficult time locating each volume starting with Zero Minus Ten through The Man with the Red Tattoo.

The John Gardner novels seemed to make The New York Times bestseller list here in the United States, but I never saw much attention paid, or promotional effort made, on the Raymond Benson continuation novels by the parties involved.

I don't quite understand how there can be a shelf full of James Bond related video games at most retail outlets, but you don't see hide nor hair of the Benson continuation novels.

It's also a mystery to me that when I go to most book stores the shelves are filled with continuation/tie-in novels for Star Trek, Star Wars, and popular role-playing, card, video/computer games, but I don't see the James Bond continuation novels. Why is that?

Some Bond fans criticize Benson as glorified fan fiction. but Benson writing style or plots aren't any worse than the authors who write the previously mentioned tie-in novels.

Some Bond fans also object to the idea that the publishers license the 007 logo and Pierce Brosnan's likeness to promote the James Bond continuation novels because it may corrupt the literary creation. But hasn't that already happened with Benson/Ian Fleming Publications making M a female character, moving the MI6 offices from Regent's Park to the real SIS headquarters at Vauxhall Cross, and having Bond use a Walther P99? I'm confused, why isn't there a licensing agreement with Eon Productions - MGM/UA to promote the continuation novels?

Why did the James Bond continuation novel have to whither and die due to neglect?

#29 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 09:27 PM

I'm eagerly awaiting a new continuation novel and the compilation of the short stories. It's the integral part of Bond, the very core of it, and it has seemed to hit a wall with the somewhat drooping popularity in the Benson and Gardner novels. I hope that changes.

#30 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 03:10 AM

Assuming Benson's three short stories are put together, are they, in themselves, long enough to warrant a whole book? Octopussy & The Living Daylights is an incredibly thin book as it is. From what I've understood, Benson's short stories are very short.