This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

SPIKE TV's "James Bond" marathon. Forget it!

98 replies to this topic

#31 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 04:48 AM

Originally posted by Derringer
Okay, we switched back to Bond.  TWINE.  Denise Richards is horrible!!!!

its a good thing i had my ear plugs in and did not hear that

#32 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 04:54 AM

Here's what really gets me:

Spike TV, when it was TNN, had taped folks at BCW five, for its previous big James Bond marathon, and never aired it. A fellow CBNer who shall remain nameless, was one of those taped.

I was kind of hoping the She Spies girls would be introducing the clips from the BCW taping, but no such luck.

For the record Spike TV:

1) Women are watching the marathon.
2) I'd rather see my friends on TV then commericals for the VGAs.

-- Xenobia

#33 CommanderBond

CommanderBond

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3135 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 05:18 AM

Id rather watch those commericals than those clorox ones they had last year better yet I dont want to see any commercials!

#34 Derringer

Derringer

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 308 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 02:35 PM

Originally posted by BONDFINESSE 007
its a good thing i had my ear plugs in and did not hear that

Yeah, yeah. I know you love her. I did too until rewatching TWINE.

Well, she is good looking, but as for the acting, I would strongly recommend she get some lessons.

#35 CommanderBond

CommanderBond

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3135 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 03:15 PM

I totally agree!! She was dry in her line delivery and lacked enthusiasm.

#36 Derringer

Derringer

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 308 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 03:38 PM

"dry". I guess that's the term I was looking for. Thanks for articulating it for me. I thought she did okay in Wild Things, but yes, she did not appear to be into the role in TWINE.

#37 CommanderBond

CommanderBond

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3135 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 03:46 PM

welcome.:)

I really dont consider a bond girl.Even though she is , Electra would have definatly been it if she didnt switch sides.

#38 Prav_007

Prav_007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 04:23 PM

I have got Spike TV, but whenever I turn to view the Bond marathon, I get nothing but Real TV episodes, or VIP episodes, can somebody tell me whats goin on?

#39 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 06:00 PM

I've kept it turned on the background yesterday as I got ready for the day. I just turned it back on now...

Commercial. :mad:

#40 CommanderBond

CommanderBond

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3135 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 06:09 PM

I dont think Im going to watch the rest of the marathon. We should write a letter to Spike t.v.

#41 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 06:37 PM

Or direct them to this link. If they want to know how Bond fans felt about their marathon, CBn would be the place to look.

I have Dr. No on in the b.g. Commercials don't seem as bad as yesterday. Maybe they were able to sell twice as much advertising on Thanksgiving? Ah, greed. That's what the holidays are all about. :)

Whoops! Spoke too soon. Bond stabs the guy in the marsh, Honey looks horrified -- boom, commercial. What incredibly bad commercial placement.

#42 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 03:06 AM

I simply don't watch Bond movies on TV anymore. If I lived in a Nielson household where what the TV was tuned to mattered then I might, but since I don't, I'll just stick to my DVDs.

#43 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 05:58 AM

I was surprised to see NSNA was a part of the marathon...but I guess I shouldn't be surprised because it's now a part of the MGM package. Is GoldenEye a part of it? I ask because USA was showing GoldenEye all day yesterday and I wonder if they held the rights to this one film.

#44 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 06:29 AM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow
I simply don't watch Bond movies on TV anymore. If I lived in a Nielson household where what the TV was tuned to mattered then I might, but since I don't, I'll just stick to my DVDs.

Same here, I caught a few minutes of TLD last night and suddenly remembered why widescreen is so much better. :)

Also, I can't be sure for certain but I think that the video game awards are coming soon. I think Spike needed to run a few more reminders over the movie. :)

#45 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 03:06 PM

Originally posted by zencat
I was surprised to see NSNA was a part of the marathon...but I guess I shouldn't be surprised because it's now a part of the MGM package. Is GoldenEye a part of it? I ask because USA was showing GoldenEye all day yesterday and I wonder if they held the rights to this one film.

I love Never Say Never Again....always have! :)

#46 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 04:10 PM

Where is LTK? Does SPIKE TV not have rights to that wonderful piece of cinema? :)

#47 Prav_007

Prav_007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 06:49 PM

No one answered my question yet......I have got Spike TV, but whenever I turn to view the Bond marathon, I get nothing but Real TV episodes, or VIP episodes, can somebody tell me whats goin on?

#48 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 07:01 PM

I'm not sure what's going on. Is it possible that they didn't air the Bond marathon in Canada?

#49 Prav_007

Prav_007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 06:26 PM

hmmm....stupid thanksgiving, just because we don't have it in Canada on November...

#50 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 07:17 PM

Isn't the Canadian Thanksgiving in October?? I should probably know these things because Tara is half Canadian :)

#51 TheBritishEnd

TheBritishEnd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 261 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 07:53 PM

I usually don't mind them stretching the films out to 3 hours (ideal for just having the films on all day in the background), but not when they're only showing two a night. I tried watching TSWLM at a friend's house, and it was a pain in the *** to have to sit through so many commercial breaks. Forget telling someone, "Oh, wait...there's a really cool part coming up...wait for it...wait for it...damn, another commercial!"

The sad part is that TNN (before becoming Spike) actually made pretty good use of the Bond films last year (after ABC all but wasted the rights). They ran all the films IN ORDER (up to NSNA) for Thanksgiving weekend, Christmas, and New Years.

#52 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 10:04 PM

Originally posted by TheBritishEnd

The sad part is that TNN (before becoming Spike) actually made pretty good use of the Bond films last year (after ABC all but wasted the rights).  They ran all the films IN ORDER (up to NSNA) for Thanksgiving weekend, Christmas, and New Years.

I do not agree...I remember TNN cutting to a commercial break in the middle of a scene in their showing of On Her Majesty’s Secret Service. One of the characters was even in the middle of a line of dialogue!

#53 BondNumber7

BondNumber7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 11:07 PM

Nobody treated the Bond films worse than ABC, who butchered the pictures so badly many slow moments were left out. This created a dizzying effect as all the faster moments of LALD aired; with all slower parts being left out. I am so used to watching and listening to my DVD's I can't believe how bad the films look and sound on Spike T.V. We have a satalite dish hooked up to the T.V. in the living room, but my television is not hooked to the dish networks; I'm saying this because the Bond schedule on Spike is different on the dish network then it is on normal network. While NSNA aired on my television, Thunderball was on in the living room. LALD aired in the morning on the dish channel, but on my t.v. it aired during the later afternoon. Weird.

#54 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 11:09 PM

Originally posted by BondNumber7
Nobody treated the Bond films worse than ABC, who butchered the pictures so badly many slow moments were left out...

So true. ABC cut out the ENTIRE pre-titles sequence of Goldfinger (movie just starts with the titles) and the ENTIRE gyspy camp sequence from FRWL.

#55 CommanderBond

CommanderBond

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3135 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 11:11 PM

Good thing i didnt see the ABC versions!!

#56 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 11:13 PM

For more information, go to Dr. Shatterhand's site, there is an excellent article about how ABC butched the hell out of the Bond films. (They pretty much shot OHMSS into the ground with what they did!) I can't even imagine!

#57 BondNumber7

BondNumber7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 11:16 PM

Originally posted by zencat

So true. ABC cut out the ENTIRE pre-titles sequence of Goldfinger (movie just starts with the titles) and the ENTIRE gyspy camp sequence from FRWL.

I didn't see these films on ABC, and glad I didn't. That is the worst thing I have ever heard Zencat. Enough to give a Bond fan nightmares. Really gives a bad impression towards people who have never seen a Bond movie and watch them for the first time on ABC. They didn't used to do stupid things like this, and I remember the first time i saw Goldfinger on Halloween night 1984 and it was not destroyed. Corporate advertisers push too hard to get things soled. Without commercials, an episode of Friends is only 15 minutes long.

#58 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 11:23 PM

Originally posted by Qwerty
...(They pretty much shot OHMSS into the ground with what they did!)...

I did a thread here on CBn about how, in a weird way, I sort of like the butchered OHMSS. You can read it HERE.

#59 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 11:26 PM

22 minutes actually and an hour long drama is 42...I only watch without commercials...

#60 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 11:27 PM

Really zencat? I can't say much about it, seeing that I didn't see it when it was broadcasted that way, but from the description, I wouldn't like it, I don't think. However, I would like to here your input on it. :)