31 replies to this topic

#1 Max Zorin

Max Zorin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 18 October 2001 - 12:07 AM

Okay, maybe I missed something here, but I keep hearing these little tidbits about the unproduced "3rd Dalton Film Script". Does anybody have a copy of the script, or at least know what it's about? From Japan to robots to the villain getting fried by a BLOW TORCH, I don't know whats real and what's not!

#2 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 24 November 2001 - 02:39 PM

That blowtorch torture thing has been i almost every 80's and early 90 action films!

#3 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 01 December 2001 - 04:36 AM

Asked by alexgilbert in another thread: "What was the vilain's masterplan on the unproduced third Dalton movie playing Bond?"

To remove the British from Hong Kong. A forced withdrawl. He hates them you see.

#4 alexgilbert

alexgilbert

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 December 2001 - 05:56 AM

Sorry to keep bothering, but how would he do that?
Something to do with microchips?
And forgive me to ask his again, what more can you tell me about the Richard Maibaum's treatment for Dalton's first outing, supposed to be a prequel?

#5 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 05 December 2001 - 07:29 PM

alexgilbert (01 Dec, 2001 05:56 a.m.):
Sorry to keep bothering, but how would he do that?
Something to do with microchips?
And forgive me to ask his again, what more can you tell me about the Richard Maibaum's treatment for Dalton's first outing, supposed to be a prequel?

You're very persistent about this and the GoldenEye draft, Alex. I you don't mind, may I ask why it's so important to you?

#6 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 05 December 2001 - 11:22 PM

I think it would just be because it's such fascinating information.

I think I'll work on this one after the GE draft as this will take a lot more time.

#7 alexgilbert

alexgilbert

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 December 2001 - 08:03 AM

You nailed it right, Daniel.

#8 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 18 October 2001 - 10:40 PM

I'm writing an article up (slowly) for CBn.

Whoopi Goldberg was apparently going to be a love interest. But there's no proof for that. The notion stems from the fact that Timothy and her were dating at the time.

#9 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 22 October 2001 - 12:37 PM

Blue Eyes (18 Oct, 2001 11:40 p.m.):
I'm writing an article up (slowly) for CBn.

Whoopi Goldberg was apparently going to be a love interest. But there's no proof for that. The notion stems from the fact that Timothy and her were dating at the time.

If I remember rightly (the article is no longer on 007forever), then the title was going to be PORTRAIT OF A LADY and not The Propery of a Lady. Something about robotics and Hong Kong. Apparently, Disney (I think) were asked to submit designs for the robots.

#10 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 22 October 2001 - 11:09 PM

scaramanga (22 Oct, 2001 01:37 p.m.):
If I remember rightly (the article is no longer on 007forever), then the title was going to be PORTRAIT OF A LADY and not The Propery of a Lady. Something about robotics and Hong Kong. Apparently, Disney (I think) were asked to submit designs for the robots.

Isn't Portrait of a Lady a film starring Nicole Kidman?

The Property Of A Lady is a Fleming chapter/short story and is briefly mentioned in Octopussy.

But I recall Zencat raising the issue as to where we *know* that it was the films title? Much like some sites still *know* that Beyond The Ice is the Bond 20 title!!

#11 Trempo

Trempo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 October 2001 - 01:27 PM

Hi Scarpine,

below is the article that was on the 007Forever site. I can't find this site anymore but I copied the article.

------------------

Missing In Action
Had Dalton done a third Bond film, this is what it might have looked like.
Author: Steve Woodbridge and Michael Kersey
Date: 2/18/00

"Bond removes his parachute harness and turns to find the decidedly unpleasant barrel of a pistol thrust against his temple. Mi Wai tells him to keep his hands in sight as she speaks into a small hand held radio. In a few moments Bond hears the distinctive beat of a helicopter...Mi Wai prods Bond forward...he sees the insignia of the Chinese Red Army on the side of the helicopter."

What`s this? An old Bond story? In the present tense? At first glance, these excerpts sound like sentences from Colonel Sun but they actually form part of a treatment that nearly became the script for a third Timothy Dalton Bond film. Yes, it nearly did happen, and it`s a fascinating but underexplored aspect of the world`s most famous secret agent.

Not many fans realize how advanced the plans were for Bond 17 in 1989-90. We can pick up some really good clues on how the film would have taken shape from a little known outline treatment written by Michael G. Wilson and Alfonse Ruggiero. This was completed in May 1990 and, although it is not a full script, it contained a detailed outline story with descriptions of locations, key characters and plot concepts.

In August 1990, Broccoli decided to make some changes. Variety called it a "bloodless coup", but this "bloodless coup" resulted in John Glen and Richard Maibaum being fired. Maibaum was the Roger Moore of the writing team; too old for the job and had over extended his stay. However, the loyalty of Cubby Broccoli is the stuff of legend, so the pressure from MGM/UA must have been extreme for him to take such drastic measures. Insult to injury was added when an "unnamed" spin-doctor inside EON implied to Variety that Maibaum was a "has-been".

The London Daily Express reported that Broccoli was looking at Ted Kotcheff and John Landis as possible directors for the film. Kotcheff directed Rambo:First Blood and John Landis had filmed, among many projects, Animal House and the ill-fated 1982 Twilight Zone: The Movie, which resulted in the death of actor Vic Morrow and two children.

At times word leaked out about the status of the script and depending upon when you heard it, the details were slightly different, though the essence remained the same. Early indications were that "the plot involved terrorists who want to stage a nuclear meltdown and industrialists who want to keep Hong Kong a capitalist stronghold" according to Tom Soter`s 1993 book Bond and Beyond. The treatment also brings in an ally for Bond: Denholm Crisp, an agent only 5 years from retirement (shades of Lethal Weapon?).

At one point in late 1990 Broccoli claimed that the next Bond film would be shooting in Hong Kong in early 1991 for a fall `91 release. Broccoli wanted to revise the treatment and considered writer-director John Byrum and screenwriters William and Gloria Huyck for the position. The thought that Broccoli even considered the Huyck`s sends shivers down the spine. They wrote Howard the Duck. Need we say more?

As envisaged in 1990, Dalton`s third outing, as 007 would have entailed a film moving in the realistic LTK direction but brimming over with ambitious high-tech concepts. Wilson and Ruggiero set out an outline using robotic designs and advanced electronic apparatus to give the film a scientific backdrop similar to some of the Connery and Moore films. At the beginning of the treatment there was an intriguing preface saying that the "robotic devices" referred to in the outline were "complex and exotic machines designed for specific tasks" and they would be designed "especially for the film for maximum and dramatic and visual impact."

The opening sequence was set in a chemical weapons laboratory in Scotland and involved technicians performing tests with robotic devices. Suddenly one of the robotic machines would run amok and the building would explode. After a "bitter debate" in the House of Commons, the Prime Minister would be seen being questioned about the explosion and he would assure the House that the "full resources" of the Government were being used to investigate the incident. Enter 007 who, in the treatment, is summoned to HQ and M`s office. He meets his boss and Michael Yupland (also referred to as Nigel Yupland in a different draft), "a rising star in the Ministry of Defence". Yupland has "no love for the double o section" and wanted to close the section down because of the end of the Cold War. A briefing for 007 follows:

A week earlier, a letter was received, threatening destruction of a chemical weapons testing plant in Scotland. It seemed like a prank, but only the previous day the laboratory had been destroyed (i.e. the opening sequence in Wilson and Ruggiero`s treatment). A second letter received that very morning threatened a serious incident in seventy-two hours at a Government base in Hong Kong (remember, this is 1990!). The only clue is that over the last six months there has been a rash of break-ins to high-tech government facilities. Bond is shown a blurred picture from a videotape at the Scottish plant, and he recruits Q to start work on reconstructing the image. The figure is revealed as Connie Webb, "a beautiful American adventuress in her early 30s." The treatment gives some background about Webb. She was the only daughter of a master cat burglar and was recruited by the CIA to penetrate high security buildings to plant bugs and gather intelligence. Surprise, surprise, Bond is given the task of putting her under surveillance to find out whom she is working for. Interestingly, the treatment describes Q as allowing Bond to have his old Aston Martin DB5 back after Yupland ordered him (Q) to destory it. Yupland proclaimed: "The cowboy days are over". The Aston would later feature in an action scene where Bond goes over a cliff but parachutes to safety by using the Martin`s ejector seat.

The rest of the treatment fleshes out the remaining story. Connie Webb has been breaking into various facilities to alter the controls on robotic apparatus and one scene involves her breaking into Kohoni Industries in Tokyo. She alters a robot in a crate that is destined for Nanking, China. She is discovered by the Kohoni Brothers, "two enormous Japanese brothers", who are the heads of Kohoni Industrial Empire. She manages to escape; showing the skills handed down by her father.

While in Tokyo, Bond makes contact with Webb by booking into the same Japanese ski resort she is staying at. One scene envisaged by Wilson and Ruggiero describes Webb skiing down a mountain and Bond dropping from a helicopter to ski after her (sound familiar?). They challenge each other on the slopes with heart stopping stunts. After overstretching herself, Webb has an accident and is buried under a wall of snow. Naturally, our hero rescues her (shades of Bond and Elektra in The World Is Not Enough?)

There then follows a series of adventures involving Webb, Bond and the Kohoni Brothers. We are also introduced to the main villain, Sir Henry Lee Ching, "a brilliant and handsome thirty year old British Chinese entrepreneur" who, in traditional Bond sense, is a dab hand at science and electronic circuits and is also nicely demented. Sir Henry has a habit of arranging accidents at nuclear plants and demonstrates this by having a robotic device run amok at a Chinese atomic plant in Nanking. Using a combination of locations in Japan, Hong Kong and China, the treatment goes on to describe a tale of cross and double cross, involving microchips and robotic technology.

The main point to Wilson and Ruggiero`s treatment for Bond 17 is that Sir Henry wants Britain to withdraw from Hong Kong; his high tech empire has manufactured critical components for all navigation, communication, weapon and missile guidance systems in the world. With his expertise in electronics, Sir Henry plots to unleash a computer virus that can paralyze every military and commercial unit in the world. This power will be directed against Britain if his demands are not met. The climax of the treatment involves Bond putting a stop to this evil plan. Bond is led to Sir Henry`s base of operations through the sewer system under Hong Kong and gains access to the building via a waste pipe. There follows a classic confrontation between Bond and Sir Henry. Sir Henry is eventually killed when Bond turns a welding torch in his face.

Had MGM/UA not gone into financial trouble, and had EON not had to fight a legal battle of their own, Dalton would have gone on to film this as his third Bond movie in 1990 for a summer 1991 release.

Here are some more factors known about the proposed film:

-The title was alleged to be The Property Of A Lady (a Fleming title but this is highly doubtful)

-Locations included Hong Kong and perhaps Vancouver, British Columbia (depending upon which outline you read)

-Another draft was to have dealt with drug runners and been filmed in Mexico; this script was by Alphonse Ruggerio, Jr. as well, but it is unclear whether he wrote it before he signed on to co-write Wilson`s work or after and whether it was independent or connected to Wilson`s outline.

-Preliminary sketch designs of these robots were made at Disney Studios.

It`s tough to make a critical assessment of a movie that`s never been made, but in retrospect, perhaps the fact that this film never got made is not such a bad thing. It doesn`t read particularly well and seems like a strong departure from the style of Bond film making that Dalton seemed comfortable with. Had this movie come out and bombed, it could have branded Dalton`s tenure a failure, rather than allowing a big question mark to hang over his reign as it still does today.

007Forever would like to thank Kenny Smith and Steve Woodbridge of Universal Exports Magazine for contributing to this article. Parts of Missing In Action were first printed in Universal Exports Magazine Issue Eight. Additional research provided by Nicholas Kincaid and Tom Soter of the 1993 book Bond and Beyond.

#12 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 29 December 2001 - 09:54 PM

I think it is a pity there was not a third Dalton Bond movie made.

I am not sure that Dalton would have suited a fantastical story that involved robots though.

#13 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 23 October 2001 - 08:58 PM

Thanks, Trempo. That's the article I was talking about.

#14 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 03:15 AM

Is the idea of Dalton coming back (even for just a couple) really too far fetched?

#15 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 14 January 2002 - 03:17 AM

Dr. Tynan (13 Jan, 2002 03:15 a.m.):
Is the idea of Dalton coming back (even for just a couple) really too far fetched?

Not for me, I'd love to see Dalton return. He made a great Bond.

#16 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 14 January 2002 - 11:52 PM

Glad you agree and I aint being sarcastic.

#17 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 26 October 2001 - 12:13 AM

This is fascinating. It reads like a Roger Moore film, but considering some of the criticism levelled at LTK for being too gritty, a retreat to the proven formula of the Moore era seems understandable.
My hunch is that EON might have submitted the treatment to MGM in this form, and then revised it to a compromise between the realism Dalton wanted and the fun for all the familyfantasy sought by MGM/UA.

#18 Max Zorin

Max Zorin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 28 October 2001 - 08:58 PM

Thanks a lot for clarifying guys. That article is a great read for a Bond fan, and creates another "what might have been" scenario.

#19 Friedrich Baxter

Friedrich Baxter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 426 posts

Posted 15 January 2002 - 09:58 PM

Maybe the producers of the videoclip 'The World Is Not Enough' from Garbage, had some inspiration reading this plot of 'The Portrait Of A Lady'?? ;-)

#20 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 03 November 2001 - 09:58 AM

[quote]Jim (02 Nov, 2001 01:55 p.m.):
[quote]Trempo (23 Oct, 2001 02:27 p.m.):
How does Sir Henry get to be Sir Henry? it's almost as bad as the reference to "Sir Havelock" in FYEO
./quote]

Sir Henry could have been knighted for services to the Crown, or to charity or industry or any number of things a wealthy villain might do to look respectable (there were no shortage of knighthoods tossed around in pre-handover Honkers).
As for "Sir Havelock", I've listened to the line from FYEO over and over, and it could equally well be "THE Havelocks' daughter", slightly slurred. A bit informal, but not incorrect. It's such an obvious error if it's "Sir Havelock", that I can't believe that James Villiers or Geoffrey Keen, or Moore or Glen wouldn't have corrected it .

#21 alexgilbert

alexgilbert

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 November 2001 - 09:44 AM

Hey, Blue Eyes, when is that article coming up?

#22 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 02 November 2001 - 11:58 AM

I love the way the villain dies: blow-torch to the face. Nice! Hopefully that will turn up in a future movie. Might be classed as too violent for a 12 certificate though.

#23 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 02 November 2001 - 01:55 PM

[quote]Trempo (23 Oct, 2001 02:27 p.m.):

Sir Henry plots to unleash a computer virus that can paralyze every military and commercial unit in the world. This power will be directed against Britain if his demands are not met...Sir Henry is eventually killed when Bond turns a welding torch in his face. [quote]

1. That's GoldenEye (roughly)
2. That's horrible
3. How does Sir Henry get to be Sir Henry? it's almost as bad as the reference to "Sir Havelock" in FYEO

I realise how redundant these questions are, but it's an intruiging article. On balance, I'm quite glad it wasn't made, because it sounds a bit ambitious (the robots etc) and considering it would have been up against Terminator 2, would the special effects have matched up?

The other suggestion about drug runners in Mexico...lessons learned from Licence to Kill? A big fat zero.

#24 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 10 January 2002 - 11:38 PM

I wish that there had been a third Dalton movie, then we'd be pondering Bond 21 right now, though. I wouldn't even have mind seeing him in GoldenEye (Sorry, Pierce).

I can't imagine Whoopi Goldberg in it though. The Property of a Lady would have made a good title for it.

#25 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 02 November 2001 - 11:58 AM

I love the way the villain dies: blow-torch to the face. Nice! Hopefully that will turn up in a future movie. Might be termed too violent for a 12 certificate though.

#26 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 18 October 2001 - 10:20 PM

I saw an article once on-line with details of an early script treatment. I believe it was at the old 007forever. I just remember that they were pretty hard on it, saying thing like, 'Maybe it's a good thing it didn't get done'. I thought the ideas didn't sound bad but raw. It sound like with rewrites it could have turned out to be a top-notch Bond pic. From what I remember it was to be set in Hong Kong and had a few elements similar to Benson's 'Zero Minus Ten'. What I also heard was that Whoopie Goldberg was to be the villain and that it was to be titled 'Property Of A Lady'.

Does any one else remember where that article was?

#27 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 06 February 2002 - 11:16 PM

Sounds to me like a cross between GoldenEye and the first draught of Tomorrow Never Dies. (Which should--by the steadfast laws of physics--produce the most outrageous, action-packed, zany, and over-the-top Bond spectacle ever...

Thank God for six years of legal disputes!

#28 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 20 November 2001 - 01:09 AM

scaramanga (02 Nov, 2001 11:58 a.m.):
I love the way the villain dies: blow-torch to the face. Nice! Hopefully that will turn up in a future movie. Might be classed as too violent for a 12 certificate though.

I don't like this at all...very nasty and vicious without the saving grace of wit.

#29 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 20 November 2001 - 08:38 AM

Seems a little graphic and sadistic, and too reminiscent of the end of Licence to Kill.

#30 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 24 November 2001 - 11:33 AM

The blowtorch thing is not exactly new or original in the world of Bond.

Drax in the Moonraker novel ordered that Bond and Gala Brand be tortured by this mode.