93 replies to this topic

#31 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 04:12 PM

I liked that. Very nice. Were you to go back to it, I think you could tie in the black and white idea to the action a little more. Have some of those colours in the surroundings, for instance. Night, day. Tuxedo. Something like that, anyway - at the moment, it's the opening and the close but doesn't really impact on the main body of the story. But that's if you go back to it, of course. Some really nice descriptions in there, it was very easy to read, and I wanted more. SHADES OF GREY would also be a good title for this. Bond and the assassination thing is interesting (well, I'm interested!). As is the whole argument of 'I was just following orders', which is fine for us, but unacceptable when you're a Nazi. Who is responsbile for an action - the person who thinks of it and orders it, or the person who carries it out? Are they both equally responsible?

What would happen if a British secret agent were caught assassinating someone? Surely the Prime Minister would resign. At least the head of MI6.

A character who is forced to see the world in black and white is therefore a character whose own morality is neither. Quite nice, that. Lots to explore.

#32 Mr_Incognito

Mr_Incognito

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 04:33 PM

Thanks, it just comes off the top of the head. Great what you can do with fifteen minute's concentration. :)
Hopefully a few other people will give this a shot. Come on, you all know you want to...

#33 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 03:55 PM

Well, I just posted my attempt, 'Valentine's Day' in the FF Posting forum.

I think it's safe to say this is the proof why I need to take my time when writing. :)

#34 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 04:02 PM

Well, I just posted my attempt, 'Valentine's Day' in the FF Posting forum.

I think it's safe to say this is the proof why I need to take my time when writing. :)

View Post

Not at all, I enjoyed it quite a bit!

#35 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 04:09 PM

Well, thanks, CoS! :)

Those fifteen minutes just go by way too fast... and then you're left with this short little piece. Emphasis on short. :) I just think it could be better if it was longer.

Ah well. :)

#36 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 04:27 PM

True, I have a tendency to revise things for days before I consider them complete.

#37 Bond_Bishop

Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 04:32 PM

I might take this challange on. I'm with Joyce, I also need very much time to get the story I am writing great as I want. I'm not a God writing a whole novel that is great in 50 minutes :)

Edited by Bond_Bishop, 12 February 2005 - 04:33 PM.

#38 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 03:00 AM

Very nice work Joyce. I loved it. :)

#39 Bond_Bishop

Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 12:08 PM

I will take upon this challange later today. Wish me luck

#40 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 03:44 PM

No luck is needed, just have fun. :)

#41 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 03:50 PM

Discuss Compliment's Of Sharky's 'Strangled, Not Stirred' here.

#42 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 04:58 PM

Very nice job, CoS. :)

Who says girls can't rescue men's lives? :)

#43 Bond_Bishop

Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 05:17 PM

Excellent CoS

#44 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 05:21 PM

Nice stuff CoS. :)

#45 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 05:46 PM

Discuss Bond-Bishop's story 'In Mood For Love' here.

#46 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 06:00 PM

Thanks guys(and girl)! And Bond_Bishop, I enjoyed yours as well - my only complaint is that a Walther WA-2000 would've been cooler, but that's just me. :)

#47 Bond_Bishop

Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 06:04 PM

Eh, whatever :)

#48 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 05:15 AM

Bumping this up because I liked these stories and want more members to write some. :)

#49 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 11:33 AM

The Big Q is now in trouble for the above post. :) You can't go on breaking butterflies on the wheel like this, Qwerty. We fragile fanfic writers need nurturing, nay coaxing, before the fruits of our labour appear. So there. Mind you, lots of cash would help. :)

Or is it that I can't think of anything to write?

The 15min stories were great, so let's have some more. Come on, all you lurkers, let's see what you've got. CBn is a great place to give your fanfic a soft landing. We don't bite - though I've heard that Joyce Carrington nibbles a little. :)

#50 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 11:56 AM

:) Hey now!

:)

I might try my hand at another attempt one of these days, Qwerty. But Hitch is right in stimulating the lurkers in giving this a shot. It's a great little exercise for the aspiring fanfic writer.

#51 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 12:53 PM

Totally. I might do a second one in a few days/week too. They're great fun. So join up and write everyone! :)

#52 TortillaFactory

TortillaFactory

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1964 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 12:55 AM

{I decided to join the party. Written, strangely enough, in exactly thirteen minutes. Enjoy.}

THE LUCKIEST YEAR

It was a pleasure to burn.

As James Bond sat idly before the bonfire, he tossed in one more twig and watched as it was twisted, blackened, transformed. It had a certain beauty in the fading dusk, which was just now tainting the moors with a rosy stain. The sun, something else that burned, was falling low. Bond sat in silent contemplation. He really did love Scotland.

Of all the places he'd seen in his life, though each held certain charm - friends, good food (usually), and unique beauty - it was this, his homeland, that still seemed magical. Even now, when he was far too old to believe in magic anymore.

The sticks in the fire crackled, protesting the heat that consumed them. Their voices were more interesting to Bond than were those of his acquaintences, who had gathered here for a sort of vague summer celebration. They chattered about life, about their trivial activities, and what they planned to do the next weekend. The sticks, however, were fighting for their lives.

Bond slapped a mosquito that had landed on his arm. Gradually, people were filtering indoors, leaving for their homes, not wishing to become a feast for the insects. As much as Bond enjoyed the solitude, he decided it was high time that he left as well.

One figure stayed apart from the group. She sat across from him, on the other side of the fire, so from his point of view she seemed engulfed in flames. Her sandy-blonde hair glowed, and Bond thought that it looked a little like spun gold. Inwardly, he smiled.

She was watching him, as well. His lanky figure, the well-tamed dark hair that nevertheless fell into an incongruous comma above his right eye. It gave him that rogueish look that made all the girls glance at him, and then glance again for a better look. This particular girl had done just that, and she would never forget the day. Now, she looked into his eyes and saw fire in them. She couldn't tell if it was just a reflection, or something more.

She stood. Bond stood, as well.

Sidling over to him, she smiled a little half-smile that quickly faded. "Dad's coming home tonight," she said. "I'm scared."

Bond sighed. That damnable step-father of hers.

"You can come over after midnight," he whispered. "Just make sure Auntie doesn't hear, all right?"

The girl smiled. "I always do."

As she walked home, Bond stood in silent contemplation. "Thirteen, eh?" one of Aunt Charmain's irritating friends, a Major Somebody, had said to him earlier, clapping him on the shoulder. "Thirteen's the unluckiest number, Master James. Or the luckiest...depending on how you look at it. Just like everything else in life, it's what you make of it."

The golden-haired girl disappeared into the sunset, and Bond thought that this, his thirteenth summer, would be the luckiest of them all.

#53 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 09:42 AM

Excellent stuff there!

I'd suggest you post this in the Fan Fiction Posting forum as well. :)

#54 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 12:44 PM

Yes, by all means make a specific thread right for it! :)

#55 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 12:51 PM

TortillaFactory? FictionFactory, more like. That is very impressive full stop, never mind for just 15 minutes. Great work!

#56 TortillaFactory

TortillaFactory

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1964 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 08:04 PM

Thanks all, I think I'll post it...I've just written another vignette about Bond's thirteenth year, "Something Wicked", which I'll post as well. There may be more coming later...though I should get back to writing my real story, soon.

#57 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 04:33 AM

:) :)

#58 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 07:23 AM

To Hell With Her

The whiskey came without questions, without guilt, and without commitments. The Senior was a comfortable place for a man whose soul was dying; filled with dozens of other men who

Edited by clinkeroo, 21 October 2005 - 07:50 AM.

#59 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 07:28 AM

A depressing bit.

View Post

Quite, and I love it! :)

Sorry, I just have a thing for drama. Please do finish this if you get the chance. :)

#60 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 07:38 AM

Always wondered about those two botched assignments Bond had between OHMSS and YOLT. Dark things waiting to happen.