93 replies to this topic

#1 Dr Niles Crane

Dr Niles Crane

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 01:30 PM

Dear all: A challenge that would frighten even the most experienced double o.

Do you have the next fifteen minutes free and are you brave?

Think about it...

If you answered no to these questions either come back when you do have a spare quarter of an hour or drink a few martinis.

What I challenge you to do is write me a Bond story - and a good one: perhaps nothing blows up - perhaps he is having a bad dream - perhaps he is saving the world - perhaps he is stuck in traffic.

But the sneaky part is that you have to do it in fifteen minutes. Just like Andy Warhol said: "that's all you get".

Now you can cheat, but would Bond?

And you may find it fun.

(Moderator’s note: I moved this thread into the Fan Fiction Discussion forum because only the original author can post to a thread in the Fan Fiction Posting forum. I left a redirect in the Fan Fiction Posting forum so anyone looking for stories can find these.)

#2 Dr Niles Crane

Dr Niles Crane

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 01:34 PM

STOP AND SEARCH By Loomis

"Come with me," the customs officer said to James Bond.

Bond smiled warily, trying to look like a man who had done nothing wrong and had nothing to fear, but who didn

#3 Dr Niles Crane

Dr Niles Crane

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 01:36 PM

FIFTEEN MINUTES OF AGNST by Dr Crane

It is now 12. 46 am my time on a Friday night (and before you condemn me - I had to work), so let's see what I can do in the next fifteen minutes.... and if it is abysmal - so be it.

Think Niles... think...

12. 47 am: Still thinking.. and drinking - hey they rhyme!!! I should be a poet.

M dreaded this moment. 007 was one of her best, no she corrected herself - had been one of her best. Now it was proven he had turned and he deserved no mercy. He was merely another enemy agent to be dealt with accordingly.

She nodded to the guard and entered the interogation room. 007 was sitting quietly, handcuffed tightly to his chair, his head slumped on his chest, as if asleep.

She came around in front of him and he slowly raised his head and looked at her with bloodshot eyes. M was shocked: the 007 she knew was an arrogant, irritating, head strong man - nothing like the beaten man she saw before her. He was unshaven, bruised and bloody, and his hair hung limply over his tired defeated eyes.

"You know what I have to do" she stated.

He looked at her sadly, all to aware of the future: "Yes ma'am".

There was something disturbing about the way he looked at her when he said this, but suddenly she could smell his sweat and fear and a feeling of nausea rose in her that she could not control. She turned away and walked away without looking at him and left.

When she reached her office she stood looking out the windows overlooking the London sky line without seeing. All she could see was his face... and after a very long time... too long in fact... she realised the look in his eyes had been trust and she realised she had betrayed it.

1.03 am
and I am actually two minutes over...

#4 Dr Niles Crane

Dr Niles Crane

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 01:39 PM

AND A BIG THANKS TO LOOMIS FOR BEING THE FIRST UP TO BAT AND MR BC FOR GETTING THE WHOLE BALL OF STRING ROLLING

#5 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 23 August 2003 - 12:27 AM

Originally posted by Dr Niles Crane
AND A BIG THANKS TO LOOMIS FOR BEING THE FIRST UP TO BAT AND MR BC FOR GETTING THE WHOLE BALL OF STRING ROLLING

Of course, you're trying to force me to actually come up with one of my own, arn't you? :)

#6 Dr Niles Crane

Dr Niles Crane

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 12:02 PM

Only if you want to Mr BC

All it takes is fifteen minutes.

My advice - drink a bottle of vodka, spirit of choice, a nice cup of tea, diet coke, hash cookie, etc - sit back - and write exactly what you want Bond to be - it doesn't have to be a literary masterpiece - more like those word games where you must think of the first word that comes to mind.

black - Bond
white - Bond
Peanut - had peanuts on an airplane once - plane flew just like plane in Die another Day - Bond...

that sort of thing

#7 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 09:03 PM

Does your 15 minutes include editing? I have a tendency to go left brain when I write, and then come back later and let the right brain clean up the mess.

#8 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 27 August 2003 - 10:25 PM

Originally posted by clinkeroo
Does your 15 minutes include editing?  I have a tendency to go left brain when I write, and then come back later and let the right brain clean up the mess.

Ditto to that, which is why a 15-minute chalenge from mw would be hard. I just love to tinker. :)

And, Niles, if I wrote when I was drunk it would be someone else's thoughts.
:)

#9 Jimbo007

Jimbo007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 285 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 02:53 PM

This sounds fun. Expect a story from me in a little while (few hours), Nile.

#10 Dr Niles Crane

Dr Niles Crane

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 03:48 PM

What about if people first write and post here - then they can play and tinker with their ideas, maybe expand on them and post the story separately - thus keeping the spontantaity aspect and allowing for the tinkerers to tinker.

#11 Jimbo007

Jimbo007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 285 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 08:55 PM

Well then, I'm ready to start. Here it goes.

A Morning With A Gentleman

A body, hung over a detailed and elegant couch. A glass table was a foot away with a bottle of Smirnoff Vodka, a shot glass and numerous spills of the hard liquor. Included with the table was bowl with a pack full of cigarrette stubs that were half smoked.

James Bond woke up and found himself on his couch in a croked position. Slowly getting up, Bond put his hand to his head to took a deep breath and let it out. A hangover.

The headache felt like one his previous flights to London. Groggy, the secret agent stood and struggled to the bathroom in his hotel room of Australia. "A good shower will do" Bond thought.

The night before, Bond started his vacation with a living hell. A thug had attempted to rob him but Bond gave him a dose of some of his military experience. He ran away like a child. "Bastard" Bond thought.

Next, Bond got in a heated argument with a hotel employee at the front desk about which room he had requested for a month earlier. The food he ordered from room service was horrible and tasted bland. Bond had enough.

Bond finished showering and quickly got dressed. He had slightly recoverd from the hangover but the headache still exsisted. Double-O-Seven went to the suite doorway and went out for breakfast. He made sure the door was locked.

THE END

That was about 18 minutes long but I wanted to finish it. Hope you all liked my short story.

#12 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 30 August 2003 - 02:44 AM

This probably doesn't follow or maked any sense. I probably should have at least thought of something to structure before hand as opposed to writing off the cuff. But it's hear anyway, grammatically wrong, with plenty of spelling mistakes.

Rambling's of a civil servant.

James Bond slammed the phone down and begrudgenly got up from his desk took two steps and picked his jacket coat up off the floor and put it on. His neck ached and he rubbed it thoughtfully.

The phone conversation with Moneypenny didn't hold much hope for what was to come in the next ten mintues or so. M had called for him from his office on the eighth floor, probably some small job he thought, one of M's friends probably has gotten himself into trouble and the old man was asking for Bond's help. Secretly however, he knew better.

There'd been nothing from up above for weeks on end, and when their had been it was always Moneypenny or Bill Tanner the chief of staff calling down saying that M was waiting on some file or another that while making it's way through the various departments in the building such as finance, records or the planning department always seemed to get snagged down at the Double-O section.

Bond frowned angrily. It wasn't his job to sit around ticking his number off on files to say that he'd read them. The previous few months had been full of nothing but this, the other two men in Bond's section were away on assignment leaving Bond with a pestering secretary and the whole building coming down on him to get up to date and pass things along.

He took a cigarette out of his gunmetal case and lit it with a Ronson lighter and walked over to the window, opening it and drawing the smoke into his lungs while he looked out over Regent's Park in what was becoming a moment of increasingly frequent reflection.

This paper work was driving him up the wall. He'd began taking to coming into the office late, drawing at first rather concerned looks from his secretary, to what had now turned into down right annoyance. Lunches were lasting longer, and he'd leave the building and head down to Scott's or somewhere for a bacon and eggs that was washed down with a few drinks, come back to the office read through a few files and jot down a few notes down the side of the file and toss it to one side. Then to at least give some excitement to his day, he'd flirt rather bitchedly with his secretary.

He threw the cigarette out the window and walked through to his secretary's office and out into the hallway looking at her and simply pointing upwards as she opened her mouth to say something.

Secretly he knew M didn't have anything for him. Bond's gambling had picked up and he'd lost a packet the night before playing 21 at one of the London clubs, drank two drinks too many and caught a taxi home to an empty ground floor flat and the foresight of a hangover.

He reached the elevator, pressed the button and when the doors opened on the fourth floor stepped in and hit the button for the eighth.

M, he knew, wanted to talk to him about his medical report. Which was probably sitting on his desk in front of him. The grey weatherbeaten face would have black reading glasses sitting on the bridge of the nose and the brow would be creased in thought.

The examination didn't go well for Bond. But it was nothing new, he went into physical decline when he was sitting in dreary London, his drinking and smoking increased and his spirit went into decline. M knew this, but even Sir James Moorely the Secret Service physican was suprised when Bond told him he drank roughly 15 drinks a day of hard liquor. When asked why, Bond remembered flicking his thumb with his index finger and thinking a double bourbon would be nice and replyed that "I never drink water, water rust's you."

The doors to the eighth opened and Bond stepped onto the grey carpet and proceeded to the fifth door to the right, opened it. Embraced M's secretary Miss Moneypenny with the most enthusiatic smile he could manage.

"Your to go right in James, he's waiting for you." She smiled at Bond again, "You look aweful. Long night?"
"Thanks Penny. Not so much a long night as an early morning." He smiled again and walked to M's office and opened the door, stepped through and closed it behind him.

Miss Moneypenny saw the light above the door turn from blue to red and went back to the paperwork on her desk.

#13 Dr Niles Crane

Dr Niles Crane

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 30 August 2003 - 12:21 PM

To all the boys......

It takes a kickass psychiatrist to unleash an emotional torrent. I am actually a lawyer, but it seemed to have the same affect

= congrats to the guys who posted short stories on the fan fic posting boards and congrats to all, such as Loomis, double oo rowan atkinson, oo zero, Jimbo, 1q2e3r4r, a couple of others who I can't remember their names to save my life (but I did like their stories) and all...

What I really love about it all is that it only took you a short time and then I get to enjoy your interpretation of Mr James Bond... and trust me I have enjoyed every one of them.

Many thanks

#14 Jimbo007

Jimbo007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 285 posts

Posted 30 August 2003 - 04:47 PM

Your quite welcome. I had fun making mine because it was done all at the top of my head. I think I'll challenge myself in the future to do these again. So thank you, Doc.

#15 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 07:45 PM

Be nice guys, since I haven't had a chance to weed out the Americanisms in the text. I had to stop at 15 minutes, but I will come back and edit/finish off the story. Hope this fits.

Deathstyles of the Rich and Blameless

Kathleen watched the man rise from the rattan sun chair and glide over to the mini bar located just to the starboard side of the deck. She watched his well-defined muscles work beneath the Caribbean-blessed bronze skin from behind the shielding presence of her sunglasses and wondered once again what it would feel like to have the

#16 Kronsteen

Kronsteen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 418 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 10:31 AM

Ok, I'll give it a try. And the fifteen minutes starts now:

"Two minutes to midnight," the tall man said quietly. The two minutes went by and the big church bell was loudly heard.
"Not anymore, lets go!" another man said. They walked together down the empty road and stopped in front of the church. They put down a suit case and started to walk away from it.
"Two minutes after midnight and it's showtime," the tall man yelled and he pressed the button on a remote control he was holding in his hand. Behind them the church was set on fire after a huge explosion. The two men disappeared into the night.

"Heaven and hell, 007" M said.
"I don't follow you, sir." Bond was tired. The time was 4 A.M.
"Church. Blown up."
"Anybody saw someone?"
"Apparently it was the Bernmen again..." M sighed.
"Oh no. Well, I'll handle it again, as ever." Bond told M and leaved the office with high speed. He ran down to his car and started the engine. The car accelerated on the empry street and after just ten minutes he saw the smoke from the burning church and he turned left. The car did not handle the turn and it spun around, hitting a tree and landed on the roof. Bond trembled and tried to get out of the car and when he got his head outside the car window a tall man stood there watching him.
"Oh no you don't," he said woth perfect English.
"You again. What is your problem?" Bond shook his head. He felt dizzy.
"Haha. This church is a memory from know on and you are too. Stop interfering with our business."
Bond had climbed out of the car and stood on the ground. "Business? More like terrorism!"
"Of course..."
Bond felt something hard against his neck and he fell to the ground. The two men disappeared into the night again and they would never be seen again. It was the fifth church this month and the one called James Bond would never lie again...

That's my fifteen minutes. That was strange, wasn't it? But much fun!

#17 Dr Niles Crane

Dr Niles Crane

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 05:54 PM

On ya Clinkers and Kronsteen.

Kronsteen - wierd and wonderful. Well done! Did Mr James die in the end or what? Someone has to be brave enough to kill him off one day.

Clinkers - did you cheat? Because I know how that very excellent story ends - with James whoring for Britain. It can be as wierd as as strange as you like, but it must be done 'on the spot' as that is what gives it is grooviness (as Austin Powers would say). The fun is in the creation of the story, not its exactitude, but I did enjoy that story in its entirety - and its sordidness very much.

So, as it is late I will put my money where my mouth is again...

It is now 3.30 am Eastern Standard Time:

Not a thought in my very tired little brain, have been making it write an essay on international humanitarian legal norms during times of war, better crank up the music and pop the old brain into gear.... whirrrr... chuggg....mmmmm...urrrrrg...

3.32: Not much yet... Bed sounds rather good though.

Bond wrenched the wheel of the car, narrowly missing the stop sign and the traffic warden.

He brought the little car to a halt and bolted from it. A horde of Soviet secret police poured from the cars behind him.

He ran as fast as he could into the dark pine forest. His heart was pounding and his breath was short. He had nothing on him, no identity, not even a gun to protect himself. If he was caught he would be imprisoned as a Soviet National and his own side would disown him.

He forged on through the trees. He was alone. There must of been ten Soviet agents following him. He had led them a merry chase through the streets of Vladivostok, but out here they had time on their side.

He could hear them crashing through the trees to his left and right. Perhaps he could bury himself in the snow? No, they would double back and find him. There is no way out of this he thought to himself quietly.

He heard the first shout of triumph and the burst of angry Russian telling him to stand still and raise his hands.

He saw the young Russian conscript with the gun screaming at him to lie on the ground.

He looked away through the trees at the setting sun.

He ran.

He heard the shots.

He fell.

Yawn - about fifteen minutes, and now if you will excuse me I am off to bed. Once again thanks to all those brave enough to take a quarter of an hour out of their lives and entertain me.

Time for bed...

#18 Dr Niles Crane

Dr Niles Crane

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 06:20 PM

Clinkers

No offence intended or anything. It is a groovy story and I really enjoyed it very much. Judging by what I have read of your past work I think that you would be wizz bang at writing a short story off the cuff. Just let go and create. Personally I would love to see it.

Yours faithfully

Dr Crane

#19 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 08:42 PM

No, no offense taken at all.
If you mean by "cheating", did I start out with my mind as a blank sheet, then yes, I did cheat. I'd been re-reading about Prince Andy's little adventure recently since Koo Stark (Kathleen Norris) had been in the papers because of her recent messy divorce. Naturally, I thought, "What if Bond had been there?" That was where I was at when I sat down.
Many elements of the completed story came in later when I came back to finish it, but the part you have here, which I was hoping to knock out and complete in fifteen minutes, came out as you see it.
I guess I need to try again, but the only way I see myself coming in with a completely blank slate is if I'm blotto (aka, inebriated). It would be creative, but I'm worried I might scare some folks around here:eek:.
I do want to stick to the original spirit of your challenge, Dr. Crane, so if you're up to giving me another shot, I'll let her rip.

Thanks,

#20 Dr Niles Crane

Dr Niles Crane

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 01:47 AM

Sorry Clinkers, my apologies

It was such a good story you had me fooled. I especially liked the whole bookie feel of it - how Bond had been sent to do something he hated, and therefore there was that slight element of self disgust in there which I always noticed in the books.

For those reading this post and wondering what the heck I am talking about - go and check out the complete story. I don't know if it has been posted on the fan fiction forum, but you can read it at fanfiction.net.

But I have to say, looking back, my mind was very majorly blank when I wrote that last story.

#21 Kronsteen

Kronsteen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 418 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 10:16 AM

Originally posted by Dr Niles Crane

Kronsteen - wierd and wonderful. Well done! Did Mr James die in the end or what? Someone has to be brave enough to kill him off one day.  

When the time was almost up I didn't know what to do. Bond had been hit in the neck, but then I didn't know what to write. I needed a good ending so I just wrote something. I'm still wondering if I killed him or not... I actually don't know. If Bond would die it should be like in my story. In a simple case where his death is almost like an accident...???

#22 Dr Niles Crane

Dr Niles Crane

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 10:18 AM

Yes. Delightfully ambiguous, like Sherlock Holmes falling off the cliff - you can always bring him back if you need him.

#23 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 01:39 AM

This may be the start of my fan fiction, pardon choppiness, this is 15 minutes.

"Damn this" He thought. "Why i am i here?" "I have no honest interest here right now, i need to be up there."
It had been a long day, Bond was burned out. He was hungry, in need of sleep, and longing to get out of the bleak building. "Only about 10 minutes" he said softly to himself. Bond was bored, he had his work for the day finished, but that clock was the only thing keeping him from leaving.
He looked across the room. His plans for this evening were in front of him. Meredith Black was looking directly into his eyes. Her brown eyes completely absorbed in his.
In a few hours, Bond thought to himself, i'll have her alone with me, in the comforts of a dark cinema.
James Bond's reverie was broken from what he thought was someone daying his name, he soon became fully awake. He heard his name again,
"Yes?" he called out.
"Mr. Bond, for about the eigth time, do you have the answer to #5?"
"Oh yes, sorry Mrs. Doerr."
The sound of laugher filled his classroom for the remainder of the period.

#24 Dr Niles Crane

Dr Niles Crane

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 02:24 AM

Another interesting take on Bond - at the start I thought it could have been Bond bored at work, but the end added a nice twist. Thanks johnboy007.

Its also really great to see people taking these ideas and building them into full stories - way to go creativity.

#25 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 12:31 PM

Most welcome Dr.

#26 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 03:18 PM

Haven't read all of these - just starting now. Nice one from Loomis, there.

Anyone fancy reviving this? It's good for the brain cells, and might spark some really good ideas you can come back to later.

#27 Mr_Incognito

Mr_Incognito

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 03:23 PM

Okay, give me fifteen minutes and we'll see.

#28 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 03:25 PM

<<POST ALL NEW STORIES IN A NEW THREAD IN THE FANFICTION POSTING FORUM PLEASE>>

#29 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 03:27 PM

Several of these stories will soon have their own threads in the Posting are as well.

#30 Mr_Incognito

Mr_Incognito

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 03:44 PM

Posting mine now.