#1 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 12:36 PM

Looking at bidding at this.

If anyone has any info on it and more specifically, what it's like, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

#2 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 12:45 PM

I hear its a very informative book, but I have never read it myself...It is a very well known book.....I'd ask Zencat - he seems to have everything!

#3 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 11:06 PM

I got a copy from eBay a few months ago, but I haven’t read it yet. It came with a few other books I was buying, but I only paid an average of a little over US$1.00 each. I’ve seen them pop up periodically. Of course, mine is the US edition and it would cost about US$6 to ship it to Australia if you bought one from the US so it may be a good deal to get this copy.

#4 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 11:10 PM

Wow, I've never even heard about it. :eek: But it sounds good to me. I'd love to read something written by Roger himself. Pity about his autobiography.

#5 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 08 August 2003 - 11:49 PM

I bought it in 1973 thinking it was Fleming's book with another movie tie-in cover. It's in almost new condition too, and not easy to find now.

Roger didn't actually write it although there's no mention of who did anywhere in the book.

Very informative on the behind the scenes of shooting Live and Let Die. The very last scene shot for the movie was the boat going up the ramp of the old cargo boat (?) after the boat chase. There's a picture in the book of Roger holding up a glass of champagne in front of the explosion as if to celebrate the end of the production's filming.

There's actually another thread about this book, but I can't locate it just yet.

#6 Blofeld's Barber

Blofeld's Barber

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 12:57 AM

Very good, interesting book - and funny too! I'd definately recommend it.

Blofeld's Cat - what do you mean Roger didn't write it? The one I have is written by him. Are we talking about the same book?

#7 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 09 August 2003 - 01:14 AM

Originally posted by Blofeld's barber
Blofeld's Cat - what do you mean Roger didn't write it?  The one I have is written by him.  Are we talking about the same book?

If we are talking about the book in that ebay link above, yes we are tallking about the same book.

Roger did not write the book. A "ghost writer" was used to transcribe all of Moore's recollections, experiences, and anecdotes from the making of the movie. A lot of the photos were supplied by his then wife Louisa, if memory serves me correct.

In the other thread (which I'm still looking for) about this same book forum member mccartney007 had some info on who actually wrote the book, but he had to search for it and get back to me. I guess it's slipped his mind because I'm not aware he's replied with the details.

#8 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 01:38 AM

I would be interested in reading more about the book....I was always under the assumption that Roger wrote it.

#9 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 01:41 AM

I need this book! Live and Let Die is my favorite Bond film!

#10 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 01:44 AM

i dont know about the book but the film is wonderful, and since its moore's first it makes it all the more better

#11 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 02:28 AM

I think LALD is merely an average Bond movie....somewhat unremarkable. Having said that I really liked hearing the background to the movie on the DVD and I thought Manckiewicz gave a quite engaging screen specific audio commentary....
Anything in the book behind the scenes that fans might not know??

#12 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 04:15 AM

I think somebody shouldn't have told us.. about this LIVE ebay auction

LOL

:)

* I wont bid on it..

:)

#13 Blofeld's Barber

Blofeld's Barber

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 03:29 PM

Ok, I pulled my copy and it says "Roger Moore's own account of filming LALD with exclusive colour photographs by Luisa Moore and stills from the film." It also says, "Autobiography" on the back. I'd be very interested to know if there is a ghost writer and who it is. The text sure reads like it was written by Rog!

#14 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 03:34 PM

I have never seen that before. I would love to get a book about the making of Live And Let Die. I guess it's time to head over to ebay and start searching somemore.

#15 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 12:50 AM

Oookay, I don't think I'll be paying $22 for it.

#16 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 05:36 AM

yeah ... 22 bucks is too much! I just wanted to read it..maybe it is at the library?

hmmm...

#17 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 05:32 PM

I won the auction. The price for the book is $17.00. Sorry, [dark]. Is this book really rare?

#18 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 07:25 PM

Originally posted by Righty007
I won the auction. The price for the book is $17.00. Sorry, [dark]. Is this book really rare?

CONGRATS, RIGHTY, enjoy your book:)

#19 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 01:24 AM

I guess that's what comes from advertizing an ebay find on a place like CBn...where you are sure to alert rival bidders :)

#20 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 06:10 AM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow
I guess that's what comes from advertizing an ebay find on a place like CBn...where you are sure to alert rival bidders :)

M-hm; I've learnt my lesson.

Guess I'll think twice about doing so next time and just PM one of the mods, who may know about the item in question.

#21 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 06:45 PM

Originally posted by Righty007

when you get the book and read it all..

give us a Book Review :)

I'd love to know what it was about.. and if you learned anything new.. we all didn't know about:cool:

#22 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 06:51 PM

Will do. :)

#23 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 08:15 PM

Guys, I can give a partial book review. I got my copy way back in 1980 at a second-hand book shop. It gives Roger's account of how he got the role and his thoughts on going in and other things. It then goes by productions days calling them B-Day (Bond Day) by number from preproduction up through the final day of filming.

It's not really a behind-the-scenes so much as Roger's thoughts on his life while making a major film. He talks about his aches and pains, his celeb friends and stuff that went on. There is plenty about filming LALD, but not in the same vein as the books on the recent Brosnan films. Plenty of commentary on what was going on, his relationship with the producers, etc. He seemed to be dealing with Saltzman more than Cubby on this one.

I reread a lot of it a couple of years ago. I don't want to spoil anything, so people who want to read it can have a good time. It's a really worthy pick-up if you can find it, especially for Roger fans.

I see these pop up on eBay every now and then. I purchased one a few years ago for my permanent collection. Note that there are differences between the American and other versions of the book. The American one is red with about 3 photos on it, while the other is black with a Roger portrait on it. And I think the photos may vary also. I know my version has all black and white ones in it.

#24 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 12:55 AM

Thanks Turn.....now I really want to read this book.... :)

Just a sidenote, what are peoples favorite "Making of..." book? My favorite is the one on the making of FYEO that was published by Grandreams in 1981...I am also fond of the Starlog AVTAK movie magazine -- although I know that's not technically a "Making of..." book but more a magazine with interviews with all the major production crew and actors.

#25 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 05:35 AM

Thanks Turn.....now I really want to read this book....  :)  

Just a sidenote, what are peoples favorite "Making of..." book? My favorite is the one on the making of FYEO that was published by Grandreams in 1981...I am also fond of the Starlog AVTAK movie magazine -- although I know that's not technically a "Making of..." book but more a magazine with interviews with all the major production crew and actors.

I have NEVER seen any of those books anywhere :) damn.. I'll have to start looking for that FYEO book!!!

I did read John Glen's Book.. and he talked allot about FYEO.. which was cool :)

did you read "For my eyes only"...?????? is that the same as "The Making of FYEO" Book..

did Glen rehash stories for his own book later on??? OR is there allot more interesting stuff in the making of ... book?
:cool:

#26 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 11:30 AM

I hadn't heard that the Roger Moore book on LALD had been ghost written.

In fact I'd heard that he had enjoyed writing that book so much that that was what had inspired him to start his subsequently stolen autobiography.

Maybe that was marketing ploy, I don't know but if so, the LALD book was hardly contemporary to wet prospective buyers' appetites.

#27 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 12:01 PM

$17?

You've been had - bought a copy last year for 50p although fair enough, bloke who sold it to me thought it was just another copy of the novel Live and Let Die (despite what the cover says).

#28 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 12:58 PM

Originally posted by 4 Ur Eyez Only

I have NEVER seen any of those books anywhere :) damn.. I'll have to start looking for that FYEO book!!!

I did read John Glen's Book.. and he talked allot about FYEO.. which was cool :)

did you read "For my eyes only"...?????? is that the same as "The Making of FYEO" Book..  

did Glen rehash stories for his own book later on??? OR is there allot more interesting stuff in the making of ... book?
:cool:

I have read Glen's "For My Eyes Only" and it was a much more personal account of the making of FYEO than the Grandreams book from 1981.
I thought the Grandreams work was a lot more thorough covering the entire production and including onset interviews with John Glen, Cubby Broccoli, Michael ('Locque') Gothard, Roger Moore, Derek Meddings (the spfx guy) etc etc. The book also includes such nuggets as an article on the history of the Bond character, an article on the life of Roger Moore (curiously split up into two parts - starting at the beginning of the book and ending towards the end??), a rogues picture gallery and a James Bond quiz...I found the book at a bookstand at a town fete in the early 1980s and it is probably my most treasured Bond collectible (if for nostalgia value if nothing else).

#29 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 04:34 PM

Just a sidenote, what are peoples favorite "Making of..." book?

I really like The Making of LTK and The Making of GoldenEye books.

And I've never classified that Grandreams FYEO book as a "making of" book. I think of it as sort of a fan book or annual (there was a Moonraker one as well). But it is good.

#30 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 05:50 PM

Seventeen dollars? Did I miss that it was a signed copy or something? Holy cow.