5. Miranda Frost

#6 iceberg

iceberg

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 387 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 10:35 AM

1. Elektra King -- More of a Bond Villain than a Bond girl. Refreshingly complex and well-written role. A combination of good and evil, with evil thankfully winning in the end. This is one bad girl that even Bond could not turn. She remained defiant until the very end, at which point he shot her because he could not control her.

2. Natalya Simonova -- Benefits from having a surprising amount of solo screen time. You actually get to know her before she even lays eyes on Bond. Tough, vulnerable, competent.

3. Christmas Jones -- or Natalya Simonova Lite. Smart, sassy, and proactive Bond girl who often gets overlooked and maligned simply because of the actress who played her. If they had filmed her the way she was originally written, and had cast someone like Daryl Hannah (who was rumored to be a front-runner for the role -- she'd be number 2.

4. Giacinta "Jinx" Johnson -- Lively, spunky, and mysterious. The beautiful Halle Berry makes the role work. Just wish she'd been given a little complexity. Even Christmas Jones got some in TWINE.

5. Paris Carver -- Despite what a lot of people say, Teri Hatcher was just fine. If you want to blame someone, blame the writer of the film for not using her more. Still, what little we see is tantalizing, and the highlight of the whole movie is her scene with Bond in the hotel.

#7 Ed King

Ed King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 11:39 AM

Elektra is kinda popular on this topic and not on this one... weird.

http://forums.comman...&threadid=11040

#8 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 04:31 PM

1)Jinx
2)Peaceful
3)Natayla
4)Wai Lin
5)Christmas

#9 Domino

Domino

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 August 2003 - 06:11 AM

1)Jinx
2)Miranda Frost
3)Xenia Onnatop
4)Christmas
5)Wai Lin

#10 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 16 August 2003 - 07:39 AM

did i say how very much i love denise?

#11 Ed King

Ed King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 16 August 2003 - 10:41 AM

Originally posted by BONDFINESSE 007

Yes. And did I say how much I love Sophie?

That's odd... Brosnan era hasn't "The Bondgirl". Although I love Elektra, I thought that Xenia would show up in everyone's list. The girls are pretty even here.

#12 Glor (009)

Glor (009)

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 469 posts

Posted 16 August 2003 - 08:36 PM

It is interesting how two of everyone's favorites are X-Men. I liked Natalya but she looks better in Maxim than on the screen. I love Denise but she was very hard to take seriously as a nuclear physicist and she just seemed way to young for Bond. She was like the Lynn-Holly Johnson character in FYEO that James tells he'll "take her out for some ice cream". The best line regarding Xena is 007's remark to the shrink that she's "the next girl" and as much as I liked Jinx I think it is a huge risk to dilute the franchise with a spin off. If it isn't unbelievably good it will do more harm than good.

What about Minnie Driver in Goldeneye :)? That was some odd casting.

#13 Kristian

Kristian

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 01:32 PM

Originally posted by Glor (009)
much as I liked Jinx I think it is a huge risk to dilute the franchise with a spin off.  If it isn't unbelievably good it will do more harm than good.

Possibly. I'd originally hoped that the TOMB RAIDER series could be Bond/Raiders type of franchise with a new "Croft guy" for each film. A "Croft guy" would be the Tomb Raider version of a Bond girl, as in:

VARIETY REPORTS TOBEY MAGUIRE AND COLIN FARRELL TO BE THE NEW CROFT GUYS OPPOSITE ANGELINA JOLIE IN "LARA CROFT TOMB RAIDER -- THE SEARCH FOR THE LOST WONDERBRA." MAGUIRE WILL PLAY GOOD CROFT GUY "DANNY RANDY," WHILE FARRELL WILL PLAY BAD CROFT GUY "TREY HORNAY."

Alas, the series is sputtering and may be finished with TR2's dismal box-office opening. The Jinx franchise would renew that type of film, but as much as like the character, I don't think she's magnetic enough to carry a franchise on her shoulders.

#14 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 04:09 PM

Originally posted by Glor (009)
It is interesting how two of everyone's favorites are X-Men.  I liked Natalya but she looks better in Maxim than on the screen.  I love Denise but she was very hard to take seriously as a nuclear physicist and she just seemed way to young for Bond.  She was like the Lynn-Holly Johnson character in FYEO that James tells he'll "take her out for some ice cream".  The best line regarding Xena is 007's remark to the shrink that she's "the next girl" and as much as I liked Jinx I think it is a huge risk to dilute the franchise with a spin off.  If it isn't unbelievably good it will do more harm than good.

What about Minnie Driver in Goldeneye :)?  That was some odd casting.

i thought driver in goldeneye was very odd casting indeed, 8 years later i still think its odd

#15 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 01:03 AM

1. Natalya Simonova - Well-written and more realistic than most Bond girls. Izabella Scorupco played her well, with a slight edge and grudge toward Bond and his lifestyle.

2. Elektra King - Good concept, not fully realized. Her dialogue was satisfactory and the acting acceptable. Not a good match with Bond, and her death was anti-climactic and unsatisfying. Wasted character.

3. Wai Lin - Decent writing, but too "tough-girl" and hence unrealistic. There was no hint of vulnerability or character depth. She gets points for not botching the dialogue or defacing the film. Second-tier character, well realized.

4. Paris Carver - Fairly minor character and (if my may be so bold) overrated by Bond fans. For what it's worth, she was well-acted and made for an interesting scene. Good character, but overblown.

5. Miranda Frost - Poorly written. You could tell she was a traitor from the beginning. For one thing, M liked her. For another, she was hostile towards Bond. She would instantly piss off so much of the Bond demographic, it would be impossible not to kill her off. Bad character, decent acting.

6. Christmas Jones - Made me retch. If all I wanted was eye candy, I'd go to the "gents' club" down the street (and spend 500 yen less, no doubt). I seriously considered walking out of the theater after this insult to my intelligence. "I'm seriously a nuclear physicist!" Nice try, but I don't think hell has frozen over quite yet.

7. Jinx - I've had it with these independent superwomen in Bond movies. It's such an obvious moneymaking ploy, just like the "sensitivity" of the Dalton films or the cartoonish silliness of the Moore era. Every Bond actor seems to have one annoying gimmick that haunts his films. For Brosnan, it seems to be women like Jinx. He is the Bond who is constantly being called outdated, sexist, etc. In every movie, he has "finally met his match." Of course, by the end of the film, he has saved the day and proven everybody wrong. Ta da! Jinx, as the latest tough ubergirl, was really annoying in almost every respect, and totally unrealistic not to mention uninteresting. She was stuffed into the story to make money, the tasteless product of a committee-written film. She's this era's most hacked-together character, the modern equivalent of J.W. Pepper.

#16 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 01:09 AM

Ad nauseum, and I'll never know why.

#17 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 08:12 AM

Originally posted by Pussfeller
1. Natalya Simonova - Well-written and more realistic than most Bond girls. Izabella Scorupco played her well, with a slight edge and grudge toward Bond and his lifestyle.  

2. Elektra King - Good concept, not fully realized. Her dialogue was satisfactory and the acting acceptable. Not a good match with Bond, and her death was anti-climactic and unsatisfying. Wasted character.

3. Wai Lin - Decent writing, but too "tough-girl" and hence unrealistic. There was no hint of vulnerability or character depth. She gets points for not botching the dialogue or defacing the film. Second-tier character, well realized.

4. Paris Carver - Fairly minor character and (if my may be so bold) overrated by Bond fans. For what it's worth, she was well-acted and made for an interesting scene. Good character, but overblown.

5. Miranda Frost - Poorly written. You could tell she was a traitor from the beginning. For one thing, M liked her. For another, she was hostile towards Bond. She would instantly piss off so much of the Bond demographic, it would be impossible not to kill her off. Bad character, decent acting.

6. Christmas Jones - Made me retch. If all I wanted was eye candy, I'd go to the "gents' club" down the street (and spend 500 yen less, no doubt). I seriously considered walking out of the theater after this insult to my intelligence. "I'm seriously a nuclear physicist!" Nice try, but I don't think hell has frozen over quite yet.

7. Jinx - I've had it with these independent superwomen in Bond movies. It's such an obvious moneymaking ploy, just like the "sensitivity" of the Dalton films or the cartoonish silliness of the Moore era. Every Bond actor seems to have one annoying gimmick that haunts his films. For Brosnan, it seems to be women like Jinx. He is the Bond who is constantly being called outdated, sexist, etc. In every movie, he has "finally met his match." Of course, by the end of the film, he has saved the day and proven everybody wrong. Ta da! Jinx, as the latest tough ubergirl, was really annoying in almost every respect, and totally unrealistic not to mention uninteresting. She was stuffed into the story to make money, the tasteless product of a committee-written film. She's this era's most hacked-together character, the modern equivalent of J.W. Pepper.

Great post, and I agree with your comments 100%.

But where's Xenia? :)

#18 CommanderBond

CommanderBond

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3135 posts

Posted 29 September 2003 - 06:52 PM

Originally posted by Mansfield 005

Great post, and I agree with your comments 100%.

But where's Xenia? :)

yes i concur with the great post . id put xenia before wai lin ..

#19 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 29 September 2003 - 09:17 PM

1- Miranda Frost-need I say more?
2- Wai Lin
3- Xenia Onatopp
4- Elektra King
5- Paris Carver

#20 WarBird

WarBird

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 01:27 AM

1 Natalia Simonova
2 Wai Lin
3 Elektra King
4 Xenia Onatopp
5 Peaceful Fountains of Desire

#21 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 01:47 AM

1 - Elektra King- complex, sexy, beautifully dressed, crazy as a loon. "Do you know what happens to a man when he's strangled?" Love her!

2 - Xenia Onatopp: for all of the above reasons except she's not complex but she makes up for that in FUN. The fight in the sauna... classic.

3 - Natalia Simonova: the best of the good girls by far and it's not a coincidence she has more time devoted to her devlopment as a character than any other good girl. Sexy, smart, competent, brave and quick... I could do without the screeching and kicking though.

4- Miranda- Cool, elegant, deadly and sexy though her character is rather underdeveopled compared to her bad girl predecssors.

5- Wai Lin- Powerful, competent, serious but still fun... looks great in a black cat suit walking down a wall.

Favorite smaller part girls: The Danish Professor, Dr Warmflash and The Cigar Girl.

#22 BondNumber7

BondNumber7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 03:54 AM

We Know, We Know, We Know. Unfortunately, Charlie Sheen beat you to the finishing line. :)

1. Elektra King
2. Xenia
3. Miranda Frost
4. Natalia
5. Jinx

#23 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 05:16 AM

Here are my rankings:-

1) Natalia (GE)

2) Elektra King

3) Miranda Frost

4) Danish Teacher (TND)

5) Paris Carver

6) Wai Lin

7) Caroline (GE)

8) Dr Molly Warmflash (TWINE)

9) Jinx - Halle Berry looks great in a bikini but what an terrible character she had to play in DAD.

#24 The World Is Not Enough

The World Is Not Enough

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 05:39 AM

1. Elektra
2. Xenia
3. Natalya
4. Paris
5. Wai Lin

#25 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:55 AM

1 - M - who can resist Bond's boss. Stressed, ancient, crooked, mushy & wrinkly.
2 - Natalia Simonova - marry me?

I'm torn between the 2.

#26 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:21 AM

MAIN BOND GIRLS
1. Natalya Simonova (Izabella Scorupco) GoldenEye
2. Wai Lin (Michelle Yeoh) Tomorrow Never Dies
3. Giacinta "Jinx" Johnson (Halle Berry) Die Another Day
4. Christmas Jones (Denise Richards) The World Is Not Enough

FEMME FATALES
1. Xenia Onatopp (Famke Janssen) GoldenEye
2. Elektra King (Sophie Marceau) The World Is Not Enough
3. Miranda Frost (Rosamund Pike) Die Another Day
4. Giulietta da Vinci (Maria Grazia Cucinotta) The World Is Not Enough

SECONDARY BOND GIRLS
1. Carver's P.R. Rep (Daphne Deckers) Tomorrow Never Dies
2. Paris Carver (Teri Hatcher) Tomorrow Never Dies
3. Molly Warmflash (Serena Scott Thomas) The World Is Not Enough
4. Inga Bergstrom (Cecilie Thomsen) Tomorrow Never Dies
5. Caroline (Serena Gordon) GoldenEye

OVERALL
1. Xenia Onatopp
2. Natalya Simonova
3. Elektra King
4. Wai Lin
5. Giacinta "Jinx" Johnson

#27 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:02 PM

OVERALL
5. Giacinta "Jinx" Johnson

I hadn't really thought of her full name before. I'd always thought she was just Jinx Johnson. It does correlate with the fact, it would seem, that the character was originally written with a Latina in mind.

My favorites, for certain psychological reasons I won't go into here, seem to be the ones who give Bond the hardest time:
Gala Brand Miranda Frost
Elektra King
Natalya Simonava
Xenia Onatopp
Jinx Johnson

I like strong women. Ursa (Sarah Douglas) from Superman II....Lori (Sharon Stone) from TOTAL RECALL...Catwoman (Michelle Pfeiffer) from BATMAN RETURNS....Catherine Trammell (Sharon Stone) from BASIC INSTINCT.

The deadlier they are the hornier I get.

You forgot Alex Forrest (Glen Close) in Fatal Attraction.

#28 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 04:38 PM

1. Wai Lin "TND"

2. Jinx Johnson "DAD"

3. Natalya Simonova "GE"

4. Elektra King "TWINE"

5. Christmas Jones "TWINE"

6. Xenia Onatopp "GE"

7. Paris Carver "TND"

8. Miranda Frost "DAD"

I've had it with these independent superwomen in Bond movies. It's such an obvious moneymaking ploy, just like the "sensitivity" of the Dalton films or the cartoonish silliness of the Moore era. Every Bond actor seems to have one annoying gimmick that haunts his films. For Brosnan, it seems to be women like Jinx. He is the Bond who is constantly being called outdated, sexist, etc. In every movie, he has "finally met his match." Of course, by the end of the film, he has saved the day and proven everybody wrong. Ta da! Jinx, as the latest tough ubergirl, was really annoying in almost every respect, and totally unrealistic not to mention uninteresting. She was stuffed into the story to make money, the tasteless product of a committee-written film. She's this era's most hacked-together character, the modern equivalent of J.W. Pepper.

You've just described Wai Lin, Holly Goodhead, Pussy Galore, Xenia Onatopp, Tracy Bond, Aki, Kissy Suzuki, Fiona Volpe, Octopussy, Magda and Pam Bouvier.

Or do you have something against female "super agents", yet is willing to accept a male "super agent"? Is that it?

#29 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:42 PM

1. Natalya Simonova "GE"

2. Xenia Onatopp "GE"

3. Elektra King "TWINE"

4. Miranda Frost "DAD"

5. Paris Carver "TND"