#1 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 05:15 AM

From ComingSoon.net [July 20]...

The highlight of the WB presentation was an appearance by Halle Berry touting her new psycho-horror-drama Gothika. Berry - sporting an arm brace - said she just finished shooting the night before. Footage showed an axe-wielding Berry and co-stars Penelope Cruz, Charles Dutton and Robert Downey Jr. (who it turns out was part responsible for Berry breaking her arm during the shoot). With respect to the possibility of X-Men 3, Berry said she is all for it, but hasn't heard anything definitive. She also asked fans to write the studio and get Storm more screen time. She also said she is ready to use the cape she's worn for the past two films to fly. Berry added that she just last evening received the first script to a film based on her James Bond character Jinx. She said she is excited about the potential of the project.

Looks like it ain't dead yet.

#2 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 05:25 AM

And just when we thought we were safe :mad:.

#3 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 09:25 AM

More here from Dark Horizons...

When asked if there will be a spin-off, Ms. Berry replied...

"I'm hoping, we just got the script last night, the first script and I hear its really really good. I've been talking to the writers about it and they had a great idea about who she is, and where she comes from. I think it won't be like Bond, its not supposed to be a female Bond, but it is very edgy and I think we'll have some elements of humour that Bond has because Jinx has that in the Bond movie but it won't be like Bond".

#4 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 10:00 AM

When 'Die Another Day'_was released in November 2002, Halle Berry spoke of a possible 'Jinx' spin off and the mass media hyped this news so that it looked like everything was a PR_gag.

Today ComingSoon.Net reports that Halle Berry has just received the script for the Jinx movie. On the San Diego Comic-Con "Berry added that she just last evening received the first script to a film based on her James Bond character Jinx. She said she is excited about the potential of the project."

According to DarkHorizons Berry stated the following: "I'm hoping, we just got the script last night, the first script and I hear its really really good. I've been talking to the writers about it and they had a great idea about who she is, and where she comes from. I think it won't be like Bond, its not supposed to be a female Bond, but it is very edgy and I think we'll have some elements of humour that Bond has because Jinx has that in the Bond movie but it won't be like Bond".

After all, this means that a possible Jinx spin off may be underway and that this could delay the shooting and release of Bond 21.

#5 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 11:23 AM

Damn, it looks like this might happen afterall. Hope its still just publicity nonsense.

#6 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 11:32 AM

"After all, this means that a possible Jinx spin-off may be underway and that this could delay the shooting and release of Bond 21." - Main Page

:)

#7 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 12:14 PM

Originally posted by Righty007
"After all, this means that a possible Jinx spin-off may be underway and that this could delay the shooting and release of Bond 21." - Main Page

:)

i would not worry to much old friend, it still has to get off the ground, and i dont think this thing will ever be made

#8 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 12:15 PM

I have a bad feeling that this could bring the death of the Bond franchise....:)

#9 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 12:16 PM

It'll get made if she likes the script. Theres an audience for this type of stuff. Seen Charlies Angels or better still Tomb Raider?

I'll go see it. :) Hopefully they'll stick her in another bikini

#10 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 01:08 PM

I'd see it. :)

I highly doubt it will kill the Bond franchise. If it performs poorly, then the public will have a higher demand for the return of 007 and not a spin-off character.

#11 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 03:58 PM

Wow, this is shock news! I'm certain this won't kill the Bond franchise, if she has a script, and we assume Eon are producing, then it's almost certain that the film will be made.

I'm looking forward to see what they can do with it!

#12 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 04:05 PM

Brosnan might do a cameo in it, he's said that a while ago.

#13 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 04:40 PM

I agree, if Man With the Golden Gun didn't kill the franchise then this certainly won't. I like Halle Berry, I like the character and I think that if done right it could be a fun ride. I'd actually like to see if they could make it work without a Brosnan cameo.

#14 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 04:41 PM

Originally posted by 1q2w3e4r

It'll get made if she likes the script.  Theres an audience for this type of stuff.  Seen Charlies Angels or better still Tomb Raider?

I posted the following in another thread, but I can't resist posting it again here. It's something of a nightmare scenario for Bond fans. Enjoy!:)

The people at MGM decide to make JINX: THE MOVIE in 2004, instead of BOND 21. "Lazenby thinking" is at work: everyone is convinced that James Bond is getting too old hat. But wasn't DIE ANOTHER DAY a smash? MGM bigwigs peer at the sums and note that DAD, which cost a pretty penny, only just outgrossed SCOOBY-DOO, and was trounced at the box office by CATCH ME IF YOU CAN. So they start muttering about risk versus reward, and conclude that DAD took as much as it did purely because of Halle Berry. Get the limey faggot out of the picture, agree on lower budgets, wave a large cheque at Berry and start making calls to the sort of hip young American directors the people at Eon won't look twice at (tomorrow's Michael Bays and Brett Ratners), and, gentlemen, we could be talking a viable new franchise. A more American one, too. At the same time, the idea of a female version of 007 tickles Barbara Broccoli's fancy even more than that of Human, New Man James Bond, while Michael G. Wilson realizes he's getting on and starts planning a pleasant retirement. Meanwhile, Pierce "Prima Donna" Brosnan, desperate for recognition as a serious artist, decides that he'd much rather make a few more small pictures with "integrity" like EVELYN than don the tux again in the near future. He refuses to consider doing another Bond film until 2007 (which year sounds rather nifty for the teaser posters), and no one thinks of forging on with BOND 21 without him because, well, there's no one to replace him (MGM will not bet the farm on another Dalton). So JINX goes into production, and everyone privately feels that 20 is a nice round number for James Bond to have ended on.

Originally posted by Dunphboy007

Wow, this is shock news! I'm certain this won't kill the Bond franchise, if she has a script, and we assume Eon are producing, then it's almost certain that the film will be made.

I'm looking forward to see what they can do with it!

I agree. If it really is being made, then we may as well look forward to it, and it is interesting - the first ever film spinoff of the James Bond series. But I'm still staggered that anyone could seriously consider Jinx a character worthy of her own franchise, based on her role in DIE ANOTHER DAY - I guess people are thinking that the fact that she's played by Halle Berry will make all the difference at the box office. I wish they'd made a Wai Lin film instead, though.

I hope that Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson will produce JINX if it does go ahead, since I'm sure they'll want to ensure a quality movie that's more than just an attempt to cash in on the success of CHARLIE'S ANGELS and LARA CROFT TOMB RAIDER.

#15 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 04:56 PM

EON is officially destrying the James Bond series. They care more about Jinx than 007. Don't we have enough female driven action super hero shows/films now? They made 2 consecutive awful 007 films and now this?

#16 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 05:04 PM

Originally posted by Tarl_Cabot

EON is officially destrying the James Bond series.  

Well, it wouldn't surprise me if they were looking at ways to wind it up. Michael G. Wilson is 60 (although Barbara Broccoli is only 43, and presumably has many more years of Bondage ahead of her - ho ho). They have a star who is apparently insisting on three-year gaps between the release of each film (which may set a precedent for the next Bond actor), and there is no "ideal" candidate waiting in the wings to replace him (with the possible exception of Hugh Jackman, although I doubt that MGM/Eon will be able to obtain him unless they sign him in 2006, at the latest). Also, the Bond films appear to be getting more and more expensive and time-consuming to make, and are they all that profitable anyway? Scratch that, are they profitable at all? Might the people who went on the hook for DIE ANOTHER DAY have been better off just keeping their money in the bank?

#17 thuffner

thuffner

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 329 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 05:21 PM

Horrible, horrible news. It is a sad day in the James Bond world... :)

#18 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 05:50 PM

Oh my friggin' god.

#19 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 06:21 PM

yeah, life is bad when we have to have a jinx movie, she was in DAD do we need for her to have her own movie?.....no, jinx was not that great

#20 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 06:36 PM

I hope this doesn't take off. I respect and admire Miss Berry as an actress, but please, don't do it. As said before, there are many female action hero films/shows/characters other than Jinx. Charlie's Angels, Tomb Raider, Witchblade and countless others are currently feeding the public's need for a strong, female action hero. I don't want to sound sexist (too late, maybe), in fact I applaud Angelina Jolie and the other action heroines who give young girls everywhere someone to look up to. Yes, fine, Jinx was a good idea for a character, but just leave well enough alone. Xenia, Pussy Galore, and Natalya were also good characters, but they didn't get their own series. With good reason.

#21 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 06:42 PM

I agree that it's not necessary but to say that it's the end of the series and a tragedy is pushing thingas a bit.

#22 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 09:01 PM

Originally posted by Genrewriter
I agree, if Man With the Golden Gun didn't kill the franchise then this certainly won't.  I like Halle Berry, I like the character and I think that if done right it could be a fun ride.  I'd actually like to see if they could make it work without a Brosnan cameo.

I think maybe the same could be said about LTK....

#23 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 09:31 PM

True, very true.

#24 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 11:50 PM

This is excellent news....I for one am looking forward to seeing the Jinx movie.

#25 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 01:01 AM

I have a bad feeling about this. Why give a spin-off to Jinx? Is it because EON is looking for a way out of the Bond series? Are they quitting Bond to find a more popular series, and in effect make more money? These are all possible questions that scare me very much.

#26 dennisbolt

dennisbolt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 01:52 AM

Can they not do Jinx and Bond at the same time? 2 franchise for the price of one?? Bond would have its staff separate and the management would then have a movie every year to film while planning the next one etc.

I thought Jinx was okay, but not great-I like Halle as an actress but her character in DAD was a bit "girlie" eventhough people say she was a femal Bond.

#27 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 02:39 AM

EON should just sell the rights to someone else who can do a decent job making Bond films.

#28 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 02:23 PM

Hmmm....I think the duo of John Calley and Kevin McClory would be interested in that Cabot.

#29 solitaire

solitaire

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 03:44 AM

This is awesome news....Halle Berry would be a kick *** black female action hero:D

#30 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 03:51 AM

Originally posted by solitaire
This is awesome news....Halle Berry would be a kick *** black female action hero:D

I agree, but why Jinx? :) WHY? And anyway she's already an action hero in X-Men.