DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 04:12 AM

Originally posted by Gogol
Nope

Rather presumptious, it's certainly better than the trite garbage that EON has been putting out for the last 17 years!

#62 Gogol

Gogol

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 04:24 AM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow

Rather presumptious, it's certainly better than the trite garbage that EON has been putting out for the last 17 years!

Good point, but NSNA isn't even a Bond movie! Sure it's Connery doing Thunderball in the role of James Bond, but it isn't a Bond movie. Instead it was an embarrassing waste of money. I guess Connery needed the money or something. I'd watch AVTAK 14 times before NSNA.

#63 IndyB007

IndyB007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 02:02 PM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow
The corrected version has two or three asterix's after the title on the top security seal...

Thank you my friend.... Next time I'm at Best Buy I'll have to look for these two or three asterix's and purchase it. Thank you very much!

#64 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 04:04 PM

Good point, but NSNA isn't even a Bond movie!  Sure it's Connery doing Thunderball in the role of James Bond, but it isn't a Bond movie.  Instead it was an embarrassing waste of money.  I guess Connery needed the money or something.  I'd watch AVTAK 14 times before NSNA.

If you mean that it's not an Eon Productions James Bond film and a member of the James Bond series, then you are correct. Never Say Never Again would never have been able to use the gun barrel logo, the pre-title sequence, the cuting style, the James Bond theme by Monty Norman, and all the other stylistic things that we associate with members of the James Bond film series.

But I presume that Sean Connery's attraction to the project was that Eon Productions and MGM/UA would fight against the production of the movie every step of the way, and yet it was being made. The film survived all the legal challenges launched against it to prevent its production and release. I find that quite an accomplishment.

I'm not saying that Never Say Never Again doesn't have its share of problems and weak moments, especially that hideous score by Michel Legrand, but on the whole I found it to be very entertaining. I also found its slightly more serious tone to be a welcome contrast to Octopussy. I mean I was in heaven, two James Bond movies released in 1983! I disagree with your opinion that the film was an "embarassing waste of money", but to each their own.

#65 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 04:23 PM

I have mixed feelings about the film. While it has a good performance from Connery and strong villains, I feel it's rather dull and a bit too laboriously paced. It is definitely hurt by the fact that McClory was only allowed to remake Thunderball, not that he should have been able to use anything from the other films as TB was the only one he was involved in the making of. For me, the only sequences that really stand out for me are the opening wargames sequence, the Domination sequence and Bond's confrontation with Fatima. These are the only scenes I feel truly capture the feel of a James bond film, the rest of the film feels simply like a decent, but not great 80's spy thriller.

#66 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 05:40 PM

I'd watch AVTAK 14 times before NSNA.

Well, personally I love AVTAK, but I am assuming your point was as a put-down to the Connery movie.

Originally posted by IndyB007

Thank you my friend....  Next time I'm at Best Buy I'll have to look for these two or three asterix's and purchase it.  Thank you very much!

No problem.