Best Roger Moore non-007 character

36 replies to this topic

#31 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 21 June 2003 - 02:20 PM

Originally posted by Dr Noah
They both had different social lives but at work they hit it off  and at the studio they hung out together and even had a suana built for them to use between takes.  The rapport they had pretty much shows on screen and adds to the fun of the show (not to mention the numerious ad libs!).

It's strange that I've read everything to the contrary, and as I said, even Roger indicated there was such friction in that interview I saw. I don't know why he'd lie about something so very negative.

#32 Dr Noah

Dr Noah

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 05:29 PM

"It's strange that I've read everything to the contrary"

It's strange that you've come up with such a negative view of the show (I hope that doesn't sound too harsh as I don't mean it to be). I've read a fair few articles on the show and have never heard that they grew to hate each other during the making of it.

There was friction at the begining as both Roger and Tony had very different personalites and outlook, but offscreen and on-screen tby all accounts had a very positive relationship, sharing jokes and even ad-libs (a lot of the dialogue in The Pursuaders was ad-libbed). That kind of relationship they had, is pretty much on-screen, if they "hated each other" it would have shown.

Perhaps Roger's wasn't being entirely serious? He can be very tongue-in-check sometimes :)

#33 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 06:45 PM

Hmm....I would like to check out this show at some point - does it ever make the rerun circuit?

#34 Dr Noah

Dr Noah

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 08:31 AM

"Hmm....I would like to check out this show at some point - does it ever make the rerun circuit?"

I'm not sure about America, but the show is still popular in Europe and is repeated regulary here in the UK. Also the complete series is availble on Region 2 dvd.

Further to Curtis and Moore not liking each other, Curtis has apparantly described Roger as being one of the best directors he has ever worked with. :)

#35 Simon Templar

Simon Templar

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 12:19 PM

Moore in "The Wilde Geese" was terriffic!

I also enjoyed him in "Gold" and "Shout At The Devil".

#36 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 06:49 PM

I thought "Gold" was good and I liked parts of "Shout at the Devil" -- I own both of these on DVD and hope they come out with a DVD of "Wild Geese" soon.
However, I am most excited about "Ffolkes" coming to DVD in a couple of months.

#37 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 03:22 PM

For those who are considering purchasing the Region 2 DVD of "Shout at the Devil" beware (its currently only available in Region 2) the movie has been chopped down to the point that there are continuity problems. Still Roger does turn in perhaps one of his best performances in this movie.