36 replies to this topic

#1 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 05:52 PM

Just wondering if people had a preference for a non-007 character that Roger has portrayed (on TV or in movies)...

Personally I like his character of Ffolkes in the movie of the same name (UK title - "North Sea Hijack"). He was eccentric and non-compromising.

#2 Dr Noah

Dr Noah

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 06:03 PM

It's the famous Simon Templer, of course :)

#3 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 06:18 PM

I have to say Ffolkes...

but I just got The Sea Wolves this morning and haven't gotten a chance to watch it yet..:cool:

#4 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 07:10 PM

You are in for a treat 4 Ur Eyez Only.....that's a fun movie.

#5 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 08:13 PM

I'll got with ffolkes too. Look forward to getting that DVD soon. And Roger will also always be Simon Templar.

Also, A&E Video is releasing a megaset with all 47 color Saint TV episodes on DVD this summer. Before, you could only buy it in mini sets, but this will be a chance to get the color episodes from 1966-69. A&E is offering these for $199, but I've seen it for as low as $106 at another site.

#6 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 09:55 PM

well I just watched The Sea Wolves :)

..and to be honest I thought it was just ok.. I'd give it 2 1/2 stars! I thought it was kinda slow..it needed more action.. and it seemed like Roger was doing pieces of it here and there..inbetween making another film.

It was good.. not just great! I like Ffolkes allot better :) Roger played a completely different role in ffolkes.. this had a little of a 007 feel.. sorta

also the end song was very bond-ish.

it was pretty good over all :)

#7 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 10:54 PM

Originally posted by Turn

Also, A&E Video is releasing a megaset with all 47 color Saint TV episodes on DVD this summer. Before, you could only buy it in mini sets, but this will be a chance to get the color episodes from 1966-69. A&E is offering these for $199, but I've seen it for as low as $106 at another site.

Which site was that Turn?

#8 St.John Smythe

St.John Smythe

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 11:16 PM

Ffolkes is my favorite character Roger has played outside 007. I never once thought of him as Bond in this movie. It was such a different and interesting character.

I definitely want to check out The Saint tv series. I've only seen one episode a long time ago so that's good news that it's coming out on DVD.

#9 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 01:05 AM

It seems as if its a toss-up between Ffolkes ans Simon Templer.

#10 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 07:18 AM

I quite enjoyed some of those old Moore and Feldman sketches. Bizarre concept when you think about it - Roger Moore and Marty Feldman. Who had the drugs that day?

Late vote here for Lord Brett Sinclair. There is only one man alive who can make a yellowy/ochre Aston Martin look cool, and that man is Roger Moore. For anyone else it would be a disaster.

#11 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 08:06 AM

Eh? When was that? I've never heard of that. The chin and the eyes, eh?
Other interesting Roger comedy sketches include: Roger and Stephen Fry being waited on by Prince Charles; Roger and Michael Caine singing a terrible song and pretending to be at the races; Roger, Dennis Healey and Les Patterson singing 'you'e either got or you haven't got...style' (a friend preferred to sing 'you've either got or you haven't got..flares. Roger Moore's got a pair up....stairs); and of course Roger dancing funky in The Persuaders.

Put me down for Brett Sinclair aussi.

#12 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 11:57 AM

Roger Moore was quite good as Otto in "Escape to Athena"

That was a fun piece of nonsense/hokum with Roger starring alongside Telly Savalas, David Niven and Elliott Gould.

#13 MarkA

MarkA

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 12:13 PM

The Man Who Haunted Himself. Great film.

#14 Killmaster

Killmaster

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 12:19 PM

Probably the funniest Roger Moore role was when he played the filthy rich millionaire who saw himself as "Roger Moore playing James Bond" complete with Astin Martin and gadgets in "Cannonball Run".

But the role he'll be remembered for (besides Bond of course) HAS to be Simon Templar... The Saint!

#15 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 01:06 PM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow

Which site was that Turn?

It's a place called http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com. They offer some of the most competitive prices on the Web. There are also places that offer competitive prices and free shipping on top of that. I usually go to a site called DVD Talk for such information.

#16 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 01:40 PM

Thanks Turn....I know where I am shopping for The Saint box set :)

#17 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 01:55 PM

Originally posted by Killmaster
Probably the funniest Roger Moore role was when he played the filthy rich millionaire who saw himself as "Roger Moore playing James Bond" complete with Astin Martin and gadgets in "Cannonball Run".

But the role he'll be remembered for (besides Bond of course) HAS to be Simon Templar... The Saint!

Although its a particular novelty for Bond fans (due to the appearance of so many 007 references and in-jokes) I just thought the "Cannonball Run" was too zany for my particular tastes. Still, interesting to see Roger Moore playing Seymour Goldfarb playing Roger Moore playing James Bond.

#18 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 01:21 PM

It seems there are a lot of Saint fans on here -- that's so cool.

#19 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 01:28 PM

I am wondering...Of the Saint fans here were you Saint fans who became James Bond fans because of the involvement of Roger Moore OR James Bond fans who became interested in The Saint because of the involvement of Roger Moore? Just curious!

#20 Dr Noah

Dr Noah

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 05:02 PM

"I am wondering...Of the Saint fans here were you Saint fans who became James Bond fans because of the involvement of Roger Moore OR James Bond fans who became interested in The Saint because of the involvement of Roger Moore? Just curious!"

I guess it was Roger's involvement which led me The Saint, first in book form, then later on I got the chance to see the tv show (I was born in the year the tv show ended, so the first live action Saint I was was Ian Oglivy, in repeats of "Return Of The Saint".

#21 Killmaster

Killmaster

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 05:51 PM

I have always been interested in the action-adventure genre, especially those lone wolf action heroes like Bond and the Saint. However, I was a Bond fan from the original release of Goldfinger with Connery and also enjoyed the various Saint series as well when I was able to see them, so for me it's a question of which came first, the chicken or the egg.

#22 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 07:57 PM

I am wondering...Of the Saint fans here were you Saint fans who became James Bond fans because of the involvement of Roger Moore OR James Bond fans who became interested in The Saint because of the involvement of Roger Moore? Just curious!

Definitely Bond first. Back in 1980 when I was developing my strong interest in Bond, CBS used to have late-night reruns of old shows and several were spy/adventure shows. They used to show The Avengers followed by The Return of the Saint.

That summer, they broadcast several of the original Moore Saint shows. Occasionally, the Fiction Makers and Vendetta For the Saint movies would show up on other channels back in those pre-VCR and cable days. Later on I also collected most episodes of Moore's other enjoyable action series The Persuaders.

#23 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 08:36 PM

I am so pumped about seeing those episodes of The Saint in the megaset that A & E is releasing.
Is the Persuaders the show Moore did with Tony Curtis?

#24 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 09:10 PM

Ffolkes is the most interesting character, Roger has played. But, I loved him as Simon Templar. And yes The Persuaders is the show he did with Tony. It aired on ABC for 24 episodes, Sept. 1971- March, 1972.

#25 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 11:19 PM

Originally posted by killkenny kid
Ffolkes is the most interesting character, Roger has played. But, I loved him as Simon Templar. And yes The Persuaders  is the show he did with Tony. It aired on ABC for 24 episodes, Sept. 1971- March, 1972.

Why was it so short lived? What was it about?

#26 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 20 June 2003 - 11:49 PM

Apart from the fact that Moore and Curtis came to hate each other as the show progressed, the show bombed in the US, which was the market it was aimed at. It was a hit in Europe and elsewhere, but not in the US.

I remember Roger being interviewed on Australian TV while promoting Moonraker I think, and the question on their relationship was asked. His answer: "We got on, then we got off."

#27 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 01:58 AM

simon templer

#28 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 04:30 AM

Why was it so short lived? What was it about?

Besides what Blofeld's Cat said, I also heard the big reason it failed was it got bombed in the ratings in the US. I don't remember anything about it as I was in preschool, but I think it was telecast on Saturday nights about 10 or so, where it probably had little chance to succeed to begin with but was looked at as a potential hit before the season began.

Once you get past the kitschy 70s feel of it all (Moore with long hair, Curtis's sideburns and those crazy fashions) it's in the spirit of The Avengers or something similar, having shared much of the same talent behind the camera as other 60s British TV spy/adventure shows.

And there is a lot of crossover talent from talent from the Bond films involved. Bernard Lee shows up in an episode among others. And the theme song by John Barry is one of the best pieces he ever came up with also.

#29 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 21 June 2003 - 04:39 AM

Originally posted by Turn
And the theme song by John Barry is one of the best pieces he ever came up with also.

It's my most favourite TV theme of all time.

#30 Dr Noah

Dr Noah

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 08:24 AM

"Apart from the fact that Moore and Curtis came to hate each other as the show progressed"

Not true. They both had different social lives but at work they hit it off and at the studio they hung out together and even had a suana built for them to use between takes. The rapport they had pretty much shows on screen and adds to the fun of the show (not to mention the numerious ad libs!).

The series was very succesful in both the UK (where it was often the most watched programme) and also in Europe (where it still is popular). However in America it was scheduled against some pretty tough competation and shown on the smallest American network and failed to find an audience.

Despite this, there were plans for a second season however Roger was then busy with Bond and it was felt that none of the potential replacements would have been able to recapture the rapport that exsited between Roger and Tony.