Photo

Sir Roger

35 replies to this topic

#31 AlphaSigOU

AlphaSigOU

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 48 posts
  • Location:Station HSV - Huntsville, Alabama (formerly Station KWA - Kwajalein)

Posted 18 June 2003 - 10:51 PM

Originally posted by 4 Ur Eyez Only
hey when does this actually happen?? I hope they show this on TV

Hey if you live in europe.. and they show these types of things.. PLEASE tape it..

maybe someone can transfer it online so we can all download it and watch it :)

so if you get a station that shows things like this.. even a News channel clip... please tape it!!

:)

Actually, it's rare to see an actual investiture ceremony on TV. (Maybe our British counterparts can correct me if I'm wrong.) Generally, the ceremony is a private affair for the honoree and his or her family, with probably some photo opportunities for the press outside the gates of Buckingham Palace and some official photographs with The Queen.

For the knighting investiture, the recipient, if he or she is a holder of the Order of the British Empire in the lesser grades of Companion, Officer, or Member, is usually awarded the Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire (KBE; for female recipients it's Dame Commander and the initials are DBE). Also awarded (if the recipient is not already a member of one of the orders of merit) is a badge called the Knight Bachelor (Dame Spinster?), symbolizing the awarding of the knighthood. Unlike a hereditary peerage, the descendants of Knights Bachelor and Life Peers do not inherit the honorific title of 'Sir' or 'Dame'.

The Queen (or the Govenor-General, in the event the recipient is overseas and unable to attend the investiture in London) formally dubs the kneeling Knight by tapping the recipient once in each shoulder with a sword and asking the recipient to arise as a knight for the first time.

#32 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 11:05 PM

Where did you find all this info Alpha?

#33 AlphaSigOU

AlphaSigOU

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 48 posts
  • Location:Station HSV - Huntsville, Alabama (formerly Station KWA - Kwajalein)

Posted 18 June 2003 - 11:05 PM

Better yet... check out this web site: http://www.royalinvestiture.com/

#34 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 11:06 PM

My question answered..... :)

#35 RayBros007

RayBros007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 200 posts
  • Location:Jacksonville FL! Home of SuperBowl Thirty-something...

Posted 24 June 2003 - 02:21 PM

That site is very interesting but it doesn't say what kind of privledges
these people have after they've been honored. For example, I know that a CBE can marry people ('cos Sting can do that now;) ) and do something else but I'd like to know what everyone else can do (GBE, KBE/DBE, MBE, OBE)

#36 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 10:03 PM

I didn't know that about a CBE! Thats interesting.