This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Who Is Your Favourite James Bond?

604 replies to this topic

Poll: Who Is Your Favourite James Bond?

Who is your FAVORITE James Bond?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#451 The World Is Not Enough

The World Is Not Enough

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:56 AM

Brozzy will always be Bond in my heart. *sigh*

#452 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:41 AM

New List for me:

1. Sean Connery/Roger Moore: I cannot honestly pick between the two. They're both just great in the role and as people said earlier - they're the trend setters for everyone else that followed.

2. Timothy Dalton: In two films alone he took Bond from Ian's pages and breathed life into the character. After 20+ years Timothy is still as convincing as ever.

3. Daniel Craig: Combine Connery and Dalton and this is what you get. I'm glad he's the current Bond and I'm hoping that Daniel can do more films.

4. George Lazenby: I suppose he was the right guy at the time. There's something Bronsan'esque in his performance which doesn't score points with me, but for one film...it's still a damn good one.

5. Pierce Bronsan: Without a doubt my least favorite Bond. GoldenEye and TWINE being his strongest efforts to the franchise. He definitely played a hybrid Connery/Moore Bond but all four films lacked a "truer" and more original offering from Bronsan. Quite a shame because I felt that he was really a missed opportunity.

#453 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:15 PM

Sean is my new favorite Bond. After that eye-opener I had with GF, he just swept me off my feet.

#454 ConnerysToupee1983

ConnerysToupee1983

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:35 PM

Moore is my favorite. But I still feel Connery is the BEST Bond. I love Pierce and Daniel as well, they both do what they do quite decently. Dalton, despite being a little flat at times, I also enjoy. And even Lazenby hit the marks he needed to and was a fine Bond in my opinion. All love all the Bonds, but Roger will always be my Numero Uno.

#455 Stephen Spotswood

Stephen Spotswood

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:21 PM

This guy:

http://www.google.co...=1t:429,r:5,s:0

Close second:

#456 Inspector Mathis

Inspector Mathis

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:34 AM

Sean Connery gets my pick because he's also the man pictured inside my head when I read the book.

Although that Pantomime Horse fellow is very good indeed.

#457 DrStrange

DrStrange

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 06:32 AM

Sean

#458 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:48 PM

New list:

1. Connery
2. Moore
3. Craig
4. Dalton
5. Brosnan
6. Lazenby

#459 Iroquois

Iroquois

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 06:11 PM

1. Craig/Connery
2. Timothy Dalton
3. Roger Moore
4. George Lazenby
5. Pierce Brosnan

#460 The sniper was a woman

The sniper was a woman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:34 PM

Okay, this is it. This is THE poll. Who is your favorite James Bond?

The man I see when I read the books. And the name's Hamm. John Hamm.

Posted Image

Edited by The sniper was a woman, 15 November 2010 - 07:35 PM.

#461 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:45 PM

I have a soft spot for Pierce Brosnan, because I grew up with his Bond so to speak. So that's why :)

#462 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:05 PM

I have a soft spot for Pierce Brosnan, because I grew up with his Bond so to speak. So that's why :)

Exactly the same here. GO PIERCE!!!

#463 Scaramanga'74

Scaramanga'74

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 253 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:35 AM

1) Connery is still the numero uno (for a plethora of reasons) - and still the sexiest grand-daddy alive.

2) Dalton, for coming closest to the literary character envisaged by Fleming.

3) Moore - the very embodiment of the elegant, charming and ultra-sophisticated Bond.

4) Brosnan remains the veritable Bond of the 90s. Falls in right between Connery and Moore.

5) Lazenby who could have really stamped his mark on the series (and in the hearts of millions) if only he didn't fall for some nasty, career-ending sweet-talk.

6) Craig in my book is the ugliest actor to potray 007 and in terms of physical make-up the farthest from what Fleming had depicted. A rough, uncut diamond who is more fitted to play Rambo or Terminator than 007. A decent actor, nevertheless, but certainly not the best Bond. Hell, QoS hardly felt like a 007 flick. More like a Bourne sequel as many have complained. I'm with the critics on this one. Sorry if I offended any.

Edited by Scaramanga'74, 16 December 2010 - 01:38 AM.

#464 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:16 AM

6) Craig in my book is the ugliest actor to potray 007 and in terms of physical make-up the farthest from what Fleming had depicted. A rough, uncut diamond who is more fitted to play Rambo or Terminator than 007. A decent actor, nevertheless, but certainly not the best Bond.

See, I can't agree with that sort of comment. He's the only Bond that totally captures the spirit of Fleming in this passage:

"And what could the casual observer think of him, 'Commander James Bond, CMG, RNVSR', also 'something at the Ministry of Defence', the rather saturnine young man in his middle thirties sitting opposite the Admiral? Something a bit cold and dangerous in the face. Looks pretty fit. May have been attached to Templer in Malaya. Or Nairobi. Mau Mau work. Tough-looking customer. Doesn't look the sort of chap one usually sees in Blades."

#465 Scaramanga'74

Scaramanga'74

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 253 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:32 AM

6) Craig in my book is the ugliest actor to potray 007 and in terms of physical make-up the farthest from what Fleming had depicted. A rough, uncut diamond who is more fitted to play Rambo or Terminator than 007. A decent actor, nevertheless, but certainly not the best Bond.

See, I can't agree with that sort of comment. He's the only Bond that totally captures the spirit of Fleming in this passage:

"And what could the casual observer think of him, 'Commander James Bond, CMG, RNVSR', also 'something at the Ministry of Defence', the rather saturnine young man in his middle thirties sitting opposite the Admiral? Something a bit cold and dangerous in the face. Looks pretty fit. May have been attached to Templer in Malaya. Or Nairobi. Mau Mau work. Tough-looking customer. Doesn't look the sort of chap one usually sees in Blades."

Maybe you got a point there - something which I have overlooked. Sorry for the outburst, ole' buddy.

#466 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:08 PM

Sorry, Sharpy, I see what your trying to allude to with Craig's image but the "looks pretty fit" is barely a reaction Craig Bond owuld have raised in Blades.

He be stared at like a strong-man circus freak with the whispered comments: "I wonder what he's been taking, old boy??" "One of those strong-arm military police johnnies, d'y reckon?"

I guess Craig-Bond in Blades would probably get the same recation Fleming-Bond gives Red Grant in FRWL.

Now if you want to fit the Fleming quote to any Bonds - age-wise, fitness, saturnine appearance - you've got Connery in FRWL and Laz in OHMSS (he clearly looked older than 29-30).

Both, I suggest, more meet the "pretty fit" reacction and match the rest perfectly well, too,

#467 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:48 PM

The thing is, there are 2 Bonds to envisage: the novel-Bond, and the movie-Bond.
Both have lived parallel lives.
Obviously the novel-Bond inspired the movie-Bond, and movie-Bond inspires the character you picture in your mind while reading a novel. But it's not possible to totally match the two. They trigger different expectations from the reciever (the reader and/or the audience).

That's why some see Bond as the movie inspired figure of the pretty spy, with girls and gadgets, while others see Bond as the novel inspired figure of the hard edged not-so-funny professional civil servant.
And then, even for movie-Bond, you get the "light" Bond (say, Moore in OP and Brosnan in TND) and the "gritty" Bond (say, Dalton in LTK and Craig in QoS).

That's why there will always be the ones calling for the "pretty boy" figure (thus dismissing Craig, for instance) and others calling for the "hard boiled" figure (thus dismissing Brosnan, for instance).

When I read a novel, I picture some guy in-between Sean Connery and Cary Grant. When I watch a movie, I see the actual actor, but enriched with all the Bond mythology so that he's more than just a face on a screen.

In the end, I think it's best to envisage both of those Bonds. It's important not to reduce Bond to any of these 2 archetypes ("idéal type" as we call in French the sociological concept introduced by Max Webber).

In my mind, they're quite distinct but eventually they're part of the same "Bond-verse". A bit like the Moon: you see a dark side and a bright side, you get different feelings and impressions, yet it's the same Moon.

I'm not sure I really succeeded in making sense here?!

#468 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:36 PM

The thing is, there are 2 Bonds to envisage: the novel-Bond, and the movie-Bond.
Both have lived parallel lives.
Obviously the novel-Bond inspired the movie-Bond, and movie-Bond inspires the character you picture in your mind while reading a novel. But it's not possible to totally match the two.
That's why some see Bond as the movie inspired figure of the pretty spy, with girls and gadgets, while others see Bond as the novel inspired figure of the hard edged not-so-funny professional civil servant.
And then, even for movie-Bond, you get the "light" Bond (say, Moore in OP and Brosnan in TND) and the "gritty" Bond (say, Dalton in LTK and Craig in QoS).

In the end, I think it's best to envisage both of those Bonds. It's important not to reduce Bond to any of these 2 archetypes ("idéal type" as we call in French the sociological concept introduced by Max Webber).

Your analysis make sense.
It's a very interesting book "James Bond 2(007) Anatomy of a popular myth"... isn't it ?

Haven't read it.
(didn't even know it existed, actually. There are so many books about Bond out there, I couldn't read every one of them even if I wanted to)

#469 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:50 PM

Haven't read it.
(didn't even know it existed, actually. There are so many books about Bond out there, I couldn't read every one of them even if I wanted to)

Sure !...

? What do you mean?

#470 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:19 PM

Haven't read it.

Sure !...

? What do you mean?

There is ONE book, only ONE mentioning Max Weberand the principle of "ideal type". This book is the French Colloque "James Bond 2007)". And you ask "what do you mean ?"...You can quote your sources, it's not demeaning you know...
Anyway, interesting post.

:rolleyes:
Well, whenever I take an analysis from someone or something, I have the decency to quote it. Can't see why I shouldn't.
So there's a book and a colloque. Good. I didn't know about this.
Believe it or not, this post above is actually my own thoughts. Please allow me to have my own thoughts about why I love Bond and my own analysis of what it means to me. The fact that it happens to match what's already been said elsewhere is not that peculiar. I'm obviously not the only one to have studied sociology, and I can't see how on earth I would be the only one to use this concept.
Really, I can't understand your point.

#471 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:25 PM

Sorry, Sharpy, I see what your trying to allude to with Craig's image but the "looks pretty fit" is barely a reaction Craig Bond owuld have raised in Blades.

He be stared at like a strong-man circus freak with the whispered comments: "I wonder what he's been taking, old boy??" "One of those strong-arm military police johnnies, d'y reckon?"

I guess Craig-Bond in Blades would probably get the same recation Fleming-Bond gives Red Grant in FRWL.

Now if you want to fit the Fleming quote to any Bonds - age-wise, fitness, saturnine appearance - you've got Connery in FRWL and Laz in OHMSS (he clearly looked older than 29-30).

Both, I suggest, more meet the "pretty fit" reacction and match the rest perfectly well, too,

Eh, that’s not everything that’s in there, though. The big factor for me in that passage is that Bond is associated with harsh military work. He’s a tough looking customer. And if people did make such ridicule about Craig’s believed chemical help, isn’t that someone who is uncommonly seen at an exquisite place such as Blades?

And for what it’s worth, I would pin down Craig’s physique from QoS as my true example. A bit slimmer, but still imposing. If you look at that Bond, you can still imagine him being involved in a Mau Mau rebellion as the passage suggests.

#472 GUY007

GUY007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:53 PM

1. Timothy Dalton
2. George Lazenby
3. Daniel Craig
4. Sean Connery
5. Barry Nelson
6. Pierce Brosnan
7. Roger Moore
8. David Niven

#473 Liparus

Liparus

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:38 PM

1. Timothy Dalton
2. George Lazenby
3. Daniel Craig
4. Sean Connery
5. Barry Nelson
6. Pierce Brosnan
7. Roger Moore
8. David Niven

Niven in 8 ? Maybe you should change your avatar and Bond Image ?

#474 Virgosy

Virgosy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:23 PM

1 - Tim' Dalton
2 - Sean Connery
3 - Pierce Brosnan (I appreciate the actor, but I don't really like his movies)
4 - Daniel Craig
5 - George Lazenby
6 - Roger Moore

Here are my tastes. I will post my movie ranking soon to show you my favorites movies (if I found the topic) :D

Merry christmas everyone. :)

#475 Marlowe

Marlowe

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 08:30 PM

My favorite James Bond is Pierce Brosnan.

#476 SamuelKevlar

SamuelKevlar

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 08:57 PM

Timothy Dalton.
Pierce Brosnan.
Daniel Craig.
Roger Moore.
Sean Connery.
George Lazenby.

Barry Nelson and David Niven weren't really playing Bond.

#477 O.H.M.S.S.

O.H.M.S.S.

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:37 PM

1. Timothy Dalton
2. George Lazenby
3. Daniel Craig
4. Sean Connery
5. Barry Nelson
6. Pierce Brosnan
7. Roger Moore
8. David Niven

Niven in 8 ? Maybe you should change your avatar and Bond Image ?

Not necessarily. For instance, David Niven is one of my favourite actors and I also have had an avatar of him before, I still know that he played Bond for laughs and such a performance can't be compared with the EON Bonds.

#478 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:08 AM

Such a tough question for me to answer definitively as I like all the actors. They all bring something unique and fresh to the character.

1. Brosnan - A picture of him is the first thought that pops into my head anytime anyone has ever mentioned anything Bond related. He is my generation's James Bond. GoldenEye is the first Bond film I ever fully watched in one sitting and made me a fan of the series. (Previously to GoldenEye I had only seen small parts of random films and knew nothing about the series). Very witty, charming, suave, and cool throughout.

2. Connery - The original. Cunning, charming, stylish, and a killer instinct. He's easier to watch from 1962-1967...when he was thin and in shape. Moore and Connery could easily be switched on this list.

3. Moore - Not sure what it is about Moore's portrayal. More of an English gentleman. He's very witty and always has confidence he can take on anyone and anything. I like to pretend AVTAK doesn't exist. Moore and Connery could easily be switched on this list.

4. Dalton - At first I just kind of ignored Dalton as I got the sense that he wasn't a very popular Bond and in the process only did two films. The Living Daylights is a great Bond film and definitely in my Top 10. He does a wonderful job and I enjoy his darker, more cynical take on the character, but I wouldn't mind a little more humor at times. Unfortunately, he only did 2 films and to me, that's not enough to really be able to compare him favorably to anyone above him on this list.

5. Lazenby - I enjoyed OHMSS much more than I thought I would, it's a very beautiful film. Still, I rank him last.

** I have left Craig off this list b/c his films are so different than the previous 20 films, I have had hard time trying to judge where he fits. I'll wait until Bond 23 to form any opinion on him.

Edited by 00 Brosnan, 13 January 2011 - 11:52 AM.

#479 Kreivi von Glödä

Kreivi von Glödä

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:30 PM

1. Sean Connery
2. Daniel Craig/George Lazenby (like them equally much)
4. Roger Moore/Timothy Dalton (ditto)
4. Pierce Brosnan

#480 Agent Sidewinder

Agent Sidewinder

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:35 PM

1) Roger Moore - the most consistent Bond, and could play it tough or light with equal ease, always a great pleasure to watch
2) Sean Connery - the originator, and probably the best on his day, but got a bit indifferent at the end
3) Pierce Brosnan - overcome sometimes inferior scripts to really leave his mark, very good presence in the role, came closest to Fleming at times
4) Daniel Craig - very good actor, but difficult to judge as a Bond for me...there's something a little off in my mind
5) George Lazenby - better at the fights than at the acting, but did well in final scene, showed promise
6) Timothy Dalton - tried to do Fleming's Bond, but ended up coming across more Batman half the time (Kevin Conroy, not Adam West, obv). Really liked him in The Rocketeer, though. And Hot Fuzz, yeah.