63 replies to this topic

#61 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 12:02 PM

Sadly, although many people rave about this film as being one of the absolute best, while I will admit to it being certainly in the better half of the series, I was never that impressed by it. Lazenby lacks charisma as far as I am concerned. He does not have the same screen presence as, say Connery, and although I have every respect for the man in doing a decent job of it, it does not have any shine to it. Tracy and Blofeld are excellent, the plot of course is a solid Flemming based story and the locations are truly breathtaking. I will also give the film credit where due for the excellent and very daring film making, to the extent that I feel it is one of the best movies in how it was put together. The music is also fantastic, from the score to the wonderful "We have all the time in the world".

Overall I would rate this film as 6.5/10.

#62 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 05:07 AM

7/10

Sorry, but I don't it lives up to the novel at all.

Cool sets, great locales. Draco and Bunt were very good. Also my favorite score.

But everything else.... Lazenby sucked. Rigg wasn't right for the part. Sorry, that's my opinion. In the novel, Bond was in charge of the relationship. In the movie, Emma Peel wore the pants. Kojak was all wrong. Blofeld wasn't that "hands on" in the novel, and was pretty gentlemanly. This Blofeld feels like Tony Soprano. He's all "In yo' face!".

So, all three primary characters go totally against their novel counterparts. Yet everything else is first rate. :) That's messed up. :)

#63 Alex Zamudio

Alex Zamudio

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 07:21 AM

10/10, I love this film, OHMSS is just a wonderful movie; exciting, elegant, and explosive with a thrilling story, beautiful cinematography, top notch directing and editing, exotic locales and a haunting musical score.
The cast is superb, Lazenby is a very cool, suave, slick and dangerous 007, HE SHOULD'VE STAYED for several movies (at least until TSWLM, I really like Roger Moore in this one!), Rigg is stunning; a beautiful, intelligent and unforgetable Bond woman (I can't apply girl in her case!) Savalas makes a real menacing Blofeld and Ferzetti is a cool ally in the Armendariz mold (o.k. not as good, but close!).

Again 10/10!!

Edited by Alex Zamudio, 16 February 2004 - 07:22 AM.

#64 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 06:45 PM

I believe this film was the least successful - that says it all. A bore of a film; the dubbing is jaw droppingly bad; it only gets going half way through when Bond goes to Switzerland. The worst Bond woman by far; how could they have made this character sooooooooooo unlikeable? Clunky directing - after the excellence of Gilberts. And then after photography was completed a number of 'wittisisms' for Lazenby as an after thought were 'put in'- every time the man's face is obscured in they popped a wise crack - I ask u, how lame is that?

3 / 10