63 replies to this topic

#1 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 11:04 PM

Alright. It's the sixth Bond move and the only one to star George Lazenby. On a scale from 1-10, rate OHMSS. I give it an 8. Its highly enjoyable but at times it can be a bit boring. Telly Savalas is the best Blofeld in my opinion and George Lazenby is terribly underrated.

#2 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 11:09 PM

On Her Majesty Secret Service is simply a 10 . The film has attained cult following . It's too bad that EON continues to treat the film like a bastard child .

#3 DieAnotherDay57

DieAnotherDay57

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 301 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 11:11 PM

The first time I saw it I hated . But now I like it more. The things I like about it is well everything exept George Lazenby. But I learned to enjoy the movie even thought lazenby sucks . I dont know what I would hive it .

#4 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 11:19 PM

I love these "Rate" forums. Anyway, I give OHMSS a 6. I have only seen it once and I didn't really understand it. But now that I understand the plot, I will probably like it alot next time I watch it.

#5 Doubleshot

Doubleshot

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 12:20 AM

9/10

Among the best. Lazenby understandably gives a mediocre performance and the film runs a little longer than it probably should, but that doesn't hold a candle to the rest of the wonderful cast and John Barry's score.

#6 Johnson Galore

Johnson Galore

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 12:41 AM

Darn near perfect. Lazenby is actually very good. Barry's score is fabulous. Direction and writing are top notch. Majority of the Fleming book maintained in the screenplay. Diana Rigg is great in the Tracy role. It is a real shame that DAF was not a true continuation of the story. 10 out of 10.

#7 Agent 0011

Agent 0011

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 02:38 AM

I would have to give it a 7.5...lazenby is not my favorite Bond by any means, but I thought he still gave a pretty solid preformance. It was the supporting cast that really carried this movie, in my opinion. goes to show how it can carry a film more than simply relying on the man playing Bond. Diana Rigg was amazing, my favorite Bond girl...draco was great and this movie contained my favorite Blofed...i agree....a shame it wasn't continued further. people are alittle to critical of this one too.

#8 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 03:38 AM

10 out of 10. this movie is perfect. i love the score, the locations (piz gloria is my number one on my holiday wish list). it has a great bond girl and a great villian, and while he isnt the best bond, theres nothing really to fault with lazenby's performance. they will never make a bond film better than this one.

#9 Daltonitus

Daltonitus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 06:03 PM

Hmm, this one is a toughy.

8/10 Cos it's a cracking film/score and Lazenby isn't actually that bad.

#10 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 06:58 PM

11 out of 10. A masterpiece.

#11 SirMiles83

SirMiles83

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 363 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 07:54 PM

On Her Majesty's Secret Service:
Set Design/Costumes---3
Special Effects---3
Soundtrack---4
Acting---4
Bond Performance---4
Villain's performance---3
Girl Performance---4
Accesory Villains---3
Ending---4
Pre-title Sequence---4
Plot---4
Action---4
Suspense---4
Cinematography---4
Locales---4

Total score out of 60---56
Avg. score---3.73

#12 Spectre001

Spectre001

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 01:34 AM

Originally posted by Johnson Galore
Darn near perfect.  Lazenby is actually very good.  Barry's score is fabulous.  Direction and writing are top notch.  Majority of the Fleming book maintained in the screenplay. Diana Rigg is great in the Tracy role.  It is a real shame that DAF was not a true continuation of the story. 10 out of 10.

I agree with Johnson here. I also think think had had Lazenby done a couple more movies he would have been better accepted in the role.

#13 OOSe7en

OOSe7en

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 01:44 AM

In my mind, OHMSS is two movies. The first half I think is not so good. It's somewhat slow and uneven. For me the movie really picks up when Bond does the high wire act. From that point on it's one helluva movie !!! Overall, I have to rate it an 8 --- 6 for the first half, 10 for the second half.

I don't think this movie has aged terribly well. Lazenby's Bond unfortunately likes to wear the frilly shirt and kilt which (unless you're Austin Powers) kind of kills the Bond image. I didn't think Lazenby though was all that bad as Bond. I was thrown a bit when rewatching OHMSS after 20 years since when I first saw it I did not pick up on some of the dubbing.

Admittedly I'm a new fan of OHMSS.

#14 Fraternal

Fraternal

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 440 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 07:39 AM

I give it a 5, I have never really had an opinion on the film, I consider just "there".

#15 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 01:38 PM

It's a 10 out of 10. Absolute perfection. Lazenby is really good, actually. Anyone who throws punches the way he did gets my vote. No, George, you're supposed to fake it, it's called acting! Now, look what you've done to poor Yuri Borienko's nose!

#16 Daltonitus

Daltonitus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 07:07 PM

Lazenby could have been the best Bond (up until Dalton of course :) ) quite easily.
2/3 films and he would have easily been 'there'

I guess the Lazenby fans have it harded than the Daltonites in that respect...

#17 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 07:08 PM

Lazenby could--and still can kick some serious *** (including Dalton's)

#18 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 09:47 PM

8 out of 10. A little slow in some areas, but an extemely underrated Bond film. Lazenby is great (he should have done DAF), especially in the fight scenes, and Rigg couldn't be better. Savalas is uber-cool as Blofeld, and the finale in the bobsled is probably one of the best action sequences in the series. The only real faults in the film are the rather slow and uninteresting middle of the film, and the scenes with the women at Piz Gloria. I've come to appreciate this film more over the years. "This never happened to the other fella." :) Classic.

#19 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 09:50 PM

Ok I'll admit it. This is my favourite Bond film - 10/10

#20 minchjp

minchjp

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 02:55 PM

4/10

I thought this was the worst bond movie ever (I have only ever see it onece)

I'll keep watching it untill i give it 10/10 :)

#21 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 02:59 PM

Keep watching it. Read the book. You'll quickly understand why it's so good.

#22 Daltonitus

Daltonitus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 06:55 PM

Book > film.

Though aren't most of them...

#23 Agent 0011

Agent 0011

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 07:48 PM

This is true...anyone who has read the book will immediately see whay so many people love it. Acutally I've never read a Bond book I completely disliked...

#24 minchjp

minchjp

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 April 2003 - 02:05 PM

I'm trying to get a copy of the book. The school library is buying me a copy. Also the school library is buying ALL the 007 dvds so students can rent them out.

#25 Irma Bunt

Irma Bunt

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 02:48 AM

OK, superlatives time. Firstly, OHMSS is a 10. It is the masterpiece in the collection. A film of rare brilliance attained from its close association with the excellent book by Fleming. Lazenby does very well and remains my second favourite Bond after Connery. The music is extraordinarily good and John Barry should be rightly proud (The new extended CD is a must-have). Diana Rigg is a gorgeous and intelligent actress. Peter Hunt is a genius. Telly Savalas is so good, I hardly notice his accent. The Europeans are superb (Steppat & Ferzetti, oh, and Borienko too)...and Switzerland!! Oh, the Berner Oberland!! Piz Gloria!!....I can't go on...or I'll faint.

#26 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 12:05 AM

#27 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 07:54 PM

Along with FRWL(best of best) its maybe the only one near to real life. But no for Mr Lazenby, if Moore would have played in this one it would have been second. ( No 007 film can even think to reach to FRWL, for me ofcourse.)

#28 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 09:26 PM

Ten: it's the best (except for the orange turtleneck).

PS. Why is there this anti-Scottishness among James Bond fans (at least here) who continually sneer at the Scottish dinner dress?

#29 OOSe7en

OOSe7en

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 09:30 PM

Because it looks really gay?

Kidding aside, I think it may be for two reasons --

1. Jerry Seinfeld made the "puffy shirt" somewhat unpopular.
2. The Scottish dress (true or not) makes the movie look pretty outdated and reeks of "Fat Bastard" in Austin Powers II.

#30 Dr Noah

Dr Noah

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 03:01 PM

"Why is there this anti-Scottishness among James Bond fans"

It's quite odd when you consider that Ian Flemming was a Scot.

Anyway, back on topic.

I give OHMSS 9/10.

It's weak leading man and th fact that it's slightly too long makes me dock it a point.