#32 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 10:35 PM

Originally posted by Glen Barrington
Connery gave a spendid performance in "Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade". Perfect casting by Lucas and Spielberg.
The part where he and Ford are tied together and the gal kisses Ford before they are burnt up and Connery lets "Junior" know he was THE MAN FIRST with that lady is a crack up!!! A little smug smile plays on Connery's face right then.

What's so great about that film . He (Connery) just acts like a silly *** old man. Nothing great in this performance . Many of his non-action roles get over looked . Try some of them , and you will see how good a actor he was . And how the men who play Bond are taken for granted .

#33 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 12:59 PM

Originally posted by kevrichardson
What's so great about that film . He (Connery)  just acts like a silly *** old man. Nothing great in this performance .  Many of his non-action roles get over looked . Try some of them , and you will see how good a actor he was . And how the men who play Bond are taken for granted .

How good he WAS?
I'll miss him.

#34 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 01:36 PM

Originally posted by Jriv71

How good he WAS?  
I'll miss him.

I thought that he was casted for the next "Indiana Jones" film with Harrison Ford. Playing his father again.

#35 Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 12:53 AM

The Untouchables.

Neil

#36 Glen Barrington

Glen Barrington

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 06:19 AM

What's so great about that film . He (Connery) just acts like a silly *** old man. Nothing great in this performance . Many of his non-action roles get over looked . Try some of them , and you will see how good a actor he was . And how the men who play Bond are taken for granted .

Sonny, I've seen just about ALL of Connerys' films, with very few exceptions. I already KNOW what an exceelent actor he is.

So, no need for you to tell me to TRY any of them, thank you. I'm QUITE familiar with his works, especially non-Bond roles, of which he's had plenty.

I stick with my perception that he added a lot to IJATLC. You're welcome to yours.

#37 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 02:28 PM

Sonny, I've seen just about ALL of Connerys' films, with very few exceptions. I already KNOW what an exceelent actor he is.
So, no need for you to tell me to TRY any of them, thank you. I'm QUITE familiar with his works, especially non-Bond roles, of which he's had plenty.
I stick with my perception that he added a lot to IJATLC. You're welcome to yours.

I have also seen every Sean Connery film . Including the "Tarzan" film where plays a minor baddie . I don't give a **** what you say. He was playing a stupid *** old man in the film.

#38 OOSe7en

OOSe7en

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 03:57 PM

Without a doubt --- The Untouchables.

#39 Glen Barrington

Glen Barrington

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 06:26 PM

Kevrichadson wrote:

" I have also seen every Sean Connery film . Including the "Tarzan" film where plays a minor baddie . I don't give a **** what you say. He was playing a stupid *** old man in the film."

And, apparently, that's a major life threatening dilemma for you, is it not?

Well then, there's no further need to discuss THAT film, now is there? Geezus!

No one here is an official authority, we just all have our preferences. No need to get curt and P i s s y about it, friend.

OOSe7en, I agree with your endoresement of The Untouchables!

#40 superracer0022

superracer0022

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 06:41 PM

my favorites would have to be entrapment, hunt for red october, the rock, and one that i have not seen mentioned here, First Knight where he plays king arthur

#41 Glen Barrington

Glen Barrington

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 06:46 PM

Originally posted by superracer0022
my favorites would have to be entrapment, hunt for red october, the rock, and one that i have not seen mentioned here, First Knight where he plays king arthur

Excellent choices! Also "The Anderson Tapes", "Just Cause", "Marnie( SC was TOO smooth and twisted!), "First Knight" and "Rising Sun".

#42 booyeah_

booyeah_

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 05:02 AM

My favorite non-Bond Connery movie is Indiana Jones and the Last Crusades. He has a new movie coming out this summer called The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

http://www.superherohype.com/loeg/

#43 Wade

Wade

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 05:08 AM

Originally posted by Red Grant
As much as I like THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING I think Connery's best performance is in THE OFFENCE - some of the best ensemble acting ever seen on screen. A difficult film to enjoy as it is so intense but a superb performance. Compare this to his slice of ham in THE UNTOUCHABLES and then you'll see how Oscars for performance are all too often way off the mark.

"The Offense" has always been one of my favorites of Connery's. Not his best, but one of his most compelling and demanding, both for him and us. Also, I didn't see this listed, but there's a quirky comedy he did with Joanne Woddward called "A Fine Madness," directed by Irwin Kirshner of "Empire Strikes Back" fame. Connery plays a Greenwich Village poet, a la Brendan Behan.

#44 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 10:41 AM

Originally posted by Vodka Martino

A Fine Madness (Connery in a comedy is something you have to see. Angry, angry young man.)

Sure it was listed.

Vodka Martino

#45 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 12:14 PM

Originally posted by booyeah_
My favorite non-Bond Connery movie is Indiana Jones and the Last Crusades. He has a new movie coming out this summer called The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

http://www.superherohype.com/loeg/

Thanks for the link!

Current trailer is pretty cool. This will be Connery's best film in recent years. 73 years old and still going strong!

#46 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 11:04 PM

And, apparently, that's a major life threatening dilemma for you, is it not?
Well then, there's no further need to discuss THAT film, now is there? Geezus!

Who cares what you think.

#47 Glen Barrington

Glen Barrington

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 11:43 PM

Who cares what you think.

Apparently, YOU do.....or you would have just left this thread alone.

You're on full blown ignore, son. Opinions are of interest, pompous attitudes are not.
----
On a much lighter note, does anyone here have any thoughts on Connery's role in Alfred Hitchcock's "Marnie" from 1964?

Was he a good guy (in trying to save Marnie from herself) or borderline sleazy one (for some of the more questionable things he did)??

Most importantly, did you like him in this role, a big departure from Bond in characterization? And what was up with that lusty sis-in-law, played by Diane McBain??? Looked pretty much like she wanted her some Sean!

#48 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 12:06 AM

On a much lighter note, does anyone here have any thoughts on Connery's role in Alfred Hitchcock's "Marnie" from 1964?
Was he a good guy (in trying to save Marnie from herself) or borderline sleazy one (for some of the more questionable things he did)??
Most importantly, did you like him in this role, a big departure from Bond in characterization? And what was up with that lusty sis-in-law, played by Diane McBain??? Looked pretty much like she wanted her some Sean!

Diane Baker was the sister-in-law in "Marnie". in "Marnie" Connery is very good . It's a undervalued performance . Just like the one he give in "Women of Straw".

#49 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 10:35 AM

You know, Hitchcock would have made a great Bond film. Alas...

#50 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 07:15 PM

Originally posted by Vodka Martino
You know, Hitchcock would have made a great Bond film. Alas...

Hitchcock did make a great Bond film . It's called "North by Northwest" 1959 . Cary Grant is in it.

#51 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 12:27 PM

Hitchcock did make a great Bond film . It's called "North by Northwest" 1959 . Cary Grant is in it.

Yes, I've seen it about 20 times, wrote my last film studies essay on it, got the soundtrack, the script and the video and am currently looking for a decent print of it on DVD....but it's not a Bond film, IMHO.
Although I would say that it's probably the blueprint for what Cubby and Harry and Terence had in mind when they started on "Dr.No". But that's not an original comment either. I know I read it someplace. Come to think of it, I recall the soundtracks sound similar in certain scenes, but don't tell John Barry I said that.
I only feel that it would be a Bond film if it contained Miss Moneypenny, M,Q ,a car chase ( where the hero is sober behind the wheel) exotic locales (cornfields don't count) and dry martinis (shaken, not stirred).
Sorry if I come across as a smart*ss, kev. I don't mean to.
I just wonder sometimes what Hitch would have done with something like "From Russia, With Love". That would have been interesting.

VM

P.S.- Cary Grant ran better at 55 than I do at 37!

#52 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 04:25 PM

Hitchcock was offered "From Russia ,With Love" . But turned it down. Some people ( my self included ) believe that "North by Norhtwest" was the close thing to a Bond thriller Hitchcock did . I have all way wonder how both Hitchcock and Fritz Lang would have dealt with Bond .

#53 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 10:03 AM

Hey, kev, I didn't know that. FRWL is my favorite Connery Bond film and if anybody could have improved on it, it would be Hitchcock. Fritz Lang would have been fascinating. Thanks, man.

VM

#54 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 06:54 AM

ROBIN AND MARIAN

A masterwork.

John Barry's score, too, hits DEEP.

Solid.

Hepburn AND Shaw. Cutting DEEP. Taking life.

Ultra-SOLID.

I cannot speak TRUTH ENOUGH in regards to this film. It moves.

This is word.