#1 Honey Rider

Honey Rider

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 05:25 PM

'Entrapment' all the way!

Not too found of the ending, why do they dissapear?

Great Work Sean! with a little back-up from Catherine...

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 06:12 PM

The Man Who Would Be King.

No doubt.

#3 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 06:25 PM

THE UNTOUCHABLES.

Didn't James Bond himself vouch for that one in a Gardner novel? 007 is watching a movie on a plane and Gardner notes that "it starred an actor Bond had always enjoyed", or some such.

#4 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 07:10 PM

The best non-Bond SeanConnery films are "Women of Straw"(1964) , "Marnie"(1964) , "The Hill" (1965) ,"Zardoz"(1974) ,"the Wind and the Lion"(1975) .

#5 Ry

Ry

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 07:32 PM

I must agree with Zencat on this one. The Man Who Would Be King is by far Sean Connery's best and the best buddy film aside from Butch Cassidy and the Sundace Kid. I must admit that for a good portion of my life The Man Who Would Be King was my favorite film of all time. It is truly a classic in my mind.

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 07:41 PM

Originally posted by kevrichardson
The best non-Bond SeanConnery films are "Women of Straw"(1964) , "Marnie"(1964) , "The Hill" (1965) ,"Zardoz"(1974) ,"the Wind and the Lion"(1975) .

Ohhh... I forgot about The Wind and the Lion. That's a great film. But there's no good letterboxed version of it that I know of. I need to see that movie in all it's widescreen glory. The only version I've seen is a very lousy pan and scan tape with bad sound. MGM home video, are you listening?

#7 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 08:57 PM

His best performance for my money is in The Hill. His funnest non-Bond role was in The Rock. It wasn't high art, but it was a good ride.

#8 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 09:23 PM

Originally posted by Loomis
THE UNTOUCHABLES.

Didn't James Bond himself vouch for that one in a Gardner novel?

Good call Loomis! Both the film and the Gardner -

"...Pearlman settled back to watch the in-flight movie. Though he had already seen it, Bond sat through it again. 'The Untouchables'. A favorite actor of his played a Chicago cop."

Chapter 16 'Welcome Night Music' - Scorpius

#9 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 11:40 PM

Ha! That's too funny for words, Bryce and Loomis.:) Anyway, here are my top Connery non-Bond films.

The Man Who Would Be King
The Untouchables
The Rock
Entrapment
Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade
Rising Sun
The Hunt For Red October

#10 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 12:04 AM

The Man Who Would Be King, hands down, you can't beat Michael Caine and John Huston...

#11 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 03:25 AM

The Man Who Would Be King
The Hill
Marnie
The Name Of The Rose
A Fine Madness (Connery in a comedy is something you have to see. Angry, angry young man.)
Cuba (Not a bad film)
The Untouchables (His death scene gets me every time)
The Hunt For Red October
The Rock ( could have been brilliant, but they blew it)

Hey gang, imagine this. A young Sean Connery in "Goldeneye". That would have been something.

Vodka Martino

#12 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 10:46 AM

Originally posted by zencat
The Man Who Would Be King.

No doubt.

Splendid choice! I saw this film for the first time on TV during Christmas and it blew me away. The Connery-Caine combination was perfect and their on screen chemistry was superb. Hilarious story - a must see film.

#13 Red Grant

Red Grant

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 376 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 11:00 AM

As much as I like THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING I think Connery's best performance is in THE OFFENCE - some of the best ensemble acting ever seen on screen. A difficult film to enjoy as it is so intense but a superb performance. Compare this to his slice of ham in THE UNTOUCHABLES and then you'll see how Oscars for performance are all too often way off the mark.

#14 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 02:19 PM

Originally posted by Red Grant
As much as I like THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING I think Connery's best performance is in THE OFFENCE - some of the best ensemble acting ever seen on screen. A difficult film to enjoy as it is so intense but a superb performance. Compare this to his slice of ham in THE UNTOUCHABLES and then you'll see how Oscars for performance are all too often way off the mark.

I have been searching for The Offence for years and have never seen it. Now that I have like 50 movie channels, I hope I will be able to do so. A trivia note on The Offence, it was one of the films Connery got financial backing from United Artists on as part of his deal for Diamonds Are Forever. I am not sure if the other was ever made.

#15 Red Grant

Red Grant

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 376 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 03:31 PM

Quite correct - this was the film Connery made as part of his DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER deal - the second film was never made. It is such a shame it isn't widely available. It rarely gets shown on UK TV and I don't think it is available on VHS (I used to have it but I think it is now deleted). If anyone is in any doubt that Connery was a good actor they should see this film. I believe John Huston saw it and was convinced that Connery could play Dravot in THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING on the strength of it. He thought that the scenes between Connery and Ian Bannen were some of the best acted scenes he'd ever seen! Praise indeed. It's one of those gritty realistic pieces (written by John Hopkins of THUNDERBALL fame!) that is probably not politically correct in this day and age due to its subject matter. it was also part of Connery's long association with Sidney Lumet - one of the world's great underappreciated directors. Connery can turn in superb "acting pieces" when he wants to but of late he has turned into a star who is content to play himself.

#16 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 03:39 PM

Oooooo. Yeah. "The Offence" is a damn good film and one of Connery's finest performances. It was also written by John Hopkins who wrote the first draft of "Thunderball". He apparently wrote it specifically for Connery.

Check your video store. There are VHS copies out there. It was running on one of the movie channels back in December here in the states.

#17 Dr Noah

Dr Noah

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 06:15 PM

The Man Who Would Be King or Marnie.

#18 Chula

Chula

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 09:40 PM

THE MOLLY MAGUIRES
THE ANDERSON TAPES
THE WIND AND THE LION
THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY
MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS

Unfortunately, 4 of 5 of these aren't available on DVD!!!

Forget the fact that Sean Connery is in them, they are all
great films.

#19 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 09:45 PM

The Rock is quite enjoyable.

And Rising Sun is a good thriller.

#20 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 15 February 2003 - 03:37 AM

I forgot about the Anderson Tapes. Good call, Chula.

This one is rare in that Connery plays the anti-hero. Few people think of him as the anti-hero type as he fits the more traditional hero mode. I watched The Anderson Tapes just before Entrapment came out to get pumped for it.

Another one I like him in is the High Noon in space variation Outland. I like him in a lot of movies, in fact. He even makes **** like Highlander 2 almost watchable (almost).

#21 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 15 February 2003 - 11:47 AM

Originally posted by Bryce (003)
Oooooo. Yeah. "The Offence" is a damn good film and one of Connery's finest performances.

Yes, "The Offence". I forgot that one. Great film. Hasn't been seen on tv here in a long time. It's a good role for an actor since it's all about character.

VM

#22 Glen Barrington

Glen Barrington

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 04:41 AM

Originally posted by RITZ
The Rock is quite enjoyable.

And Rising Sun is a good thriller.

I REALLY enjoyed "Rising Sun". There was very good chemestry with Wesley Snipes, who later admitted Sean really kept him on his toes and they developed quite a mutual liking/rapport off camera. Wesley can come off cocky at times, but he (in intervews at the time of the film's release) was very humble and said he learned a ton of things from Connery on the art of acting.

One of my other favs was "The Hunt For Red October". Loved his hair in that one, and I recall someone here mentioning that if they had ever decided to bring him back (fantasy of course), this look n that film would have been perfect.

There were just way too many actors and too much going on in "The Rock". A typical "high concept" Don Simpson/Jerry Bruckheimer testosterone popcorn movie. "The Offense" was simply brilliant (and unfortunately little seen) and may be Sean's greatest performance in a non-Bond flick.

BTW, Jerry Bruckheimer's website (www.jbfilms.com) is AWESOME!

#23 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 10:32 AM

Entrapment
The Rock
The Avengers (Movie)
Never Say never Again
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (I have not seen the hole movie)
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (I have not seen the hole movie)
Just Cause

#24 antonio damas

antonio damas

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 11:08 AM

I want to watch "The Hunt for Red October". I like that kind of films

#25 sausagebrigade

sausagebrigade

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 01:15 PM

I haven't seen that many, but of the ones I have seen, The Man who Would Be King and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. I saw a bit of The Hill, and he seemed very good in that.

#26 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 04:33 PM

The Hunt for Red October. Great book. Great film. Great Russian accent. OK, that's the same accent he uses in every movie, but still...just Great.

#27 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 04:38 PM

Originally posted by sausagebrigade
I saw a bit of The Hill, and he seemed very good in that.

How could I forget. 1964's The Hill - a wonderful performance by Connery as a cocky sergant up for court-marshal.

#28 sausagebrigade

sausagebrigade

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 05:10 PM

The Untouchables is on ITV2 next week in the UK! Finally, I'll be able to see the role that got Connery his Oscar.

#29 Glen Barrington

Glen Barrington

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 02:20 AM

"The Untouchables is on ITV2 next week in the UK! Finally, I'll be able to see the role that got Connery his Oscar."

You will love him in The Untouchables. He practically stole the film.

#30 Glen Barrington

Glen Barrington

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 02:25 AM

Connery gave a spendid performance in "Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade". Perfect casting by Lucas and Spielberg.

The part where he and Ford are tied together and the gal kisses Ford before they are burnt up and Connery lets "Junior" know he was THE MAN FIRST with that lady is a crack up!!! A little smug smile plays on Connery's face right then.