This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Favorite Sean Connery James Bond Film

587 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Sean Connery James Bond Film (676 member(s) have cast votes)

Favorite Sean Connery James Bond Film

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#181 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 02:02 PM

A big welcome to CBn Kirsty!

#182 Kirsty

Kirsty

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 06:30 PM

Thank you very much :)

#183 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 10:48 PM

Are you following me Kirsty? :)

Welcome to CBn, again from SPECTRE ASSASSIN! :)

#184 DavidSomerset

DavidSomerset

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 08:51 AM

GF is the template which all 007 films followed for donkey years. GF is the reason why audiences rejected OHMSS as it was not GF or TB.
btw if Sean was in OHMSS, it would have been an all time classic, after a bit of tweaking. Instead of Mr. Furniture Lazenby noticeably uncomfortable doing anything other than action scenes we could have had a classic movie which could have changed 007 movies forever. I hope they dont cast another furniture guy in place of Pierce in B21.

#185 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 01:21 AM

GF is the template which all 007 films followed for donkey years. GF is the reason why audiences rejected OHMSS as it was not GF or TB.
btw if Sean was in OHMSS, it would have been an all time classic, after a bit of tweaking. Instead of Mr. Furniture Lazenby noticeably uncomfortable doing anything other than action scenes we could have had a classic movie which could have changed 007 movies forever. I hope they dont cast another furniture guy in place of Pierce in B21.

View Post

Welcome aboard David !

I couldn't agree with you more!!!!!!!

HOWEVER, I don't think you'll find too many Mr Furniture :) supporters on this site .... so just watch them.... they'll be after you :) :) :)

Hahaha

View Post

Actually, there are a number of "Mr. Furniture" supporters on this site, most of whom think OHMSS was just fine without Connery, who was growing out of shape and increasingly bored with the role. Not to mention many who also think OHMSS is a classic anyway.

#186 DavidSomerset

DavidSomerset

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 03:31 AM

OHMSS a classic? Maybe, if you remove Mr. Furniture from the frame (punningly yours)! Frankly, I would take a sleepwalking Sean Connery in OHMSS rather than Mr. Furniture. Even Sean in NSNA (his worst and worn out Bond) is better than Mr. Furniture...

If George was so good, why did he not get even a single good film after OHMSS? Even Roger and Timothy(whom I think are much better than George) got a lot of work after that. Mr. Furniture had to actually go to HK to see Bruce Lee (when he was only a Golden Harvest star and not the Kung Fu God after Enter the dragon) for work. Read this well known excerpt:" On July 20, 1973, Lee was due to have lunch with former James Bond star George Lazenby, with whom he intended to make a film. However, Lee never turned up for the lunch, and when Lazenby and Lee's agent went to his hotel room, they found him dead. " After Bruce died, George was left with nothing.
I agree OHMSS is a very good film but it is not a classic because of the prescence of Lazenby.

Have you thought of Michael Caine in the Lazenby role in OHMSS? If he wasnt Harry Palmer, he could have been 007. He could have done both the serious and the flirtation parts well...

#187 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 30 December 2004 - 07:30 AM

[quote name='Dr Blockbuster' date='29 December 2004 - 19:10'][quote name='DavidSomerset' date='29 December 2004 - 04:31']OHMSS a classic? Maybe, if you remove Mr. Furniture from the frame (punningly yours)! Frankly, I would take a sleepwalking Sean Connery in OHMSS rather than Mr. Furniture. Even Sean in NSNA (his worst and worn out Bond) is better than Mr. Furniture...

If George was so good, why did he not get even a single good film after OHMSS? Even Roger and Timothy(whom I think are much better than George) got a lot of work after that. Mr. Furniture had to actually go to HK to see Bruce Lee (when he was only a Golden Harvest star and not the Kung Fu God after Enter the dragon) for work. Read this well known excerpt:" On July 20, 1973, Lee was due to have lunch with former James Bond star George Lazenby, with whom he intended to make a film. However, Lee never turned up for the lunch, and when Lazenby and Lee's agent went to his hotel room, they found him dead.

#188 DavidSomerset

DavidSomerset

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 07:46 AM

You can see the timeline of George's meeting with Bruce and Raymond Chow here.
http://www.allbrucel...al_time_lin.htm
Maybe George's role in the Bruce Lee movie would have been kind of like Yoda. :)

#189 Brett Sinclair

Brett Sinclair

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 04:43 PM

I've gone for You only live twice.

I think this one is great,aswell as Dr No,From Russia with love and Goldfinger but i find it very hard to sit through Thunderball,Diamonds are forever and Never say never again.

I do think he was an excellent choice for Bond,but he's not my favorite.
That would be good ol' Rog!

Edited by Brett Sinclair, 07 January 2005 - 01:34 PM.

#190 Brett Sinclair

Brett Sinclair

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 01:33 PM

I've just watched Never say never again last night and i really enjoyed it.Connery is once again fantastic in the role and not going through the motion's. I've changed my mind i love it.:)

The only real draw back is the god awful theme song by Lani Hall. :)

#191 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 09:45 PM

I've just watched Never say never again last night and i really enjoyed it.Connery is once again fantastic in the role and not going through the motion's. I've changed my mind i love it.:)

The only real draw back is the god awful theme song by Lani Hall. :)

View Post

Probably one of the worse things about a fair Bond film. It has it's good points in Barbara Carrera, the dialogue, and some scenes with Branduer.

#192 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 10:08 PM

Goldfinger and From Russia With Love are almost tied. But i know which one is going to win. FRWL!!!

View Post

Currently winning now, but Goldfinger seems to finally be catching up.

#193 Forever007

Forever007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 469 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 04:17 PM

FRWL is clearly Connery's best james Bond film and probably the best in the entire series. It followed the novel probably closer than any of the other films and it had that Ian Fleming feel to it similar to reading his novels. Bond seemed in danger the entire film and he was more of a real man than a superhero. The plot was fabulous and the entire cast was perfect. It's a classic that you can watch over and over again, unlike the majority of the more current Bond films.

#194 00Nothing

00Nothing

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 392 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 10:51 AM

I voted for YOLT. In my opinion this is the best Connery. Yes the gadgets and action sequences take over the picture, but I have to say, it has to be one of the most entertaining films I have ever seen and is proof positive that nothing exceeds like excess. Any film that features a villain with a scar, a hollowed out volcano and an army of ninjas is a classic in my mind. For me it is as good as the Connery movies got.

#195 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 02:35 PM

Thunderball. Connery was at his best and the movie in general works very well. Good villains, and a great girl in Domino!

#196 PRO-PAIN

PRO-PAIN

Recruit

• Crew
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 02:34 PM

For me it's a toss up between Goldfinger and From Russia With Love.

But if I had to choose between the two I'd have to say FRWL.

Edited by PRO-PAIN, 14 April 2005 - 02:36 PM.

#197 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 04:38 PM

For me Thunderball is the best Connery Bond. The only thing that keeps Goldfinger from the top spot is one or two minor slow patches.

#198 Taro Todoroki

Taro Todoroki

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 277 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 12:57 AM

There is no such thing as a bad Sean Connery Bond film. Having said that, I'd say Diamonds over Thunderball, but they are all great.

#199 James-Bond-007

James-Bond-007

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 11:47 PM

I liked You Only Live Twice the best. With Blofeld as the villain, Connery as the actor, and John Barry's excellent score, it is definately my favorite.

#200 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 02:07 AM

I liked You Only Live Twice the best.  With Blofeld as the villain, Connery as the actor, and John Barry's excellent score, it is definately my favorite.

View Post

Welcome to the CommanderBond.net Forums, the #1 James Bond site in the world! :)

#201 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:07 AM

I would have to say that From Russia With Love is Sean Connery's best Bond movie. It had a lot of intrigue and a great plot, and contained far and away Sean's best performance as 007. Dr. No is my second favorite Sean Connery Bond film.

#202 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:46 AM

For me, this is difficult, Connery is by far my favrite Bond, but I am torn between Thunderball and Goldfinger. I thouroughly enjoyed Dr. No and From Russia with Love. You Only Live Twice was alright, as was Diamonds are Forever. As for the last title, that says it all.

#203 licensetostudy

licensetostudy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 266 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:20 AM

Anyway, according to Lazenby himself he was to appear occasionally in "Game" as a mentor to Lee's character, most significantly when Lee's character reached the top level of the fighting temple (or whatever it was called, I forget just now) where his character was to suddenly appear out of nowhere to lend guidance.[/color]

View Post

This is weird, because we have already seen Lee's cut of the ending in a documentary which featured the lost footage that was discovered I believe in 1994 and there is no Lazenby in site. Of all the documentarys and stories we have heard about that terrible night in 1973, not one has ever mentioned that his body was found by George Lazenby.

#204 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:25 AM

It depends on which mood I'm in. :)

From Russia With Love when I need to watch some serious Bond, and Goldfinger when I want gadgets and laughs.

#205 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 04:30 AM

Poor Never Say Never Again. :)

#206 Lazenby880

Lazenby880

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 02:07 PM

Voted for From Russia With Love - a near flawless and most enjoyable picture. Thunderball is not far behind though.

#207 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 03:45 PM

Voted for From Russia With Love - a near flawless and most enjoyable picture. Thunderball is not far behind though.

View Post

Kind of surprising (but good IMO) to see them both beating the popular Goldfinger.

#208 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 03:51 PM

The poll is turning out a pretty reasonable result. The top three are my top three.

#209 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 03:52 PM

True. I never expected Dr. No to be that low though.

#210 Scottlee

Scottlee

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2592 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 05:35 PM

Just voted for the first time.

Thunderball for me. Surprised it's out in front, though. FRWL and GF usually dominate the best Connery film polls.