This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Favorite Sean Connery James Bond Film

587 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Sean Connery James Bond Film (676 member(s) have cast votes)

Favorite Sean Connery James Bond Film

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 01:20 AM

Thunderball would be my second all time favorite Connery film after You Only Live Twice.. It was the first Connery film I ever saw, and the whole cinematography of Japan, the gorgeous score by John Barry and of course the awesome helicopter battle with Little Nellie, just made it the perfect Bond film for me.  :)

Well I agree those elements that what makes YOLT good, but the film is not the kind of Bond film I personally like. There are so many high-tech gimmicks, and such an outrageous, and unlikely plot to comprehend with. Connery gives his most tiring performance ever. I can't blame him.

Not to mention though, he kind of seems quite tired and just walking through some of the scenes in Diamonds Are Forever. Or perhaps that he is more out of shape.

I suppose you're right, Connery may be he most bored looking in You Only Live Twice, but he looked more fit in it than Diamonds Are Forever.

#122 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 04:14 AM

[quote name='Qwerty' date='14 July 2004 - 18:20'] [quote name='SPECTRE ASSASSIN' date='14 July 2004 - 17:12'] [quote name='The Dove' date='14 July 2004 - 12:29'] Thunderball would be my second all time favorite Connery film after You Only Live Twice.. It was the first Connery film I ever saw, and the whole cinematography of Japan, the gorgeous score by John Barry and of course the awesome helicopter battle with Little Nellie, just made it the perfect Bond film for me.

#123 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 04:16 AM

[quote name='SPECTRE ASSASSIN' date='15 July 2004 - 00:14'] [quote name='Qwerty' date='14 July 2004 - 18:20'] [quote name='SPECTRE ASSASSIN' date='14 July 2004 - 17:12'] [quote name='The Dove' date='14 July 2004 - 12:29'] Thunderball would be my second all time favorite Connery film after You Only Live Twice.. It was the first Connery film I ever saw, and the whole cinematography of Japan, the gorgeous score by John Barry and of course the awesome helicopter battle with Little Nellie, just made it the perfect Bond film for me.

#124 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 11:14 AM

I think that Connery made 3 more action-full films ( GF, TB and DAF ) and more espionagek-full films ( DrNo, FRWL, YOLT ). I prefer the more espionage biased films to the more action biased films.

How does YOLT qualify as an "espionage-full" film? The thing is pure spectacle and little story. Bond is so busy zipping from location to location, from vehicle to vehicle, fight to fight, the only question is which gadget will he use next and which form of transportation will he use to get him there?

Also, I agree with most of the last few posts, TB rules.

Have to agree with Turn. You Only Live Twice is clearly a Moonraker or The Spy Who Loved Me style film, but I couldn't see it as a dark and moody From Russia With Love. The Little Nellie, Outer Space, just seems larger than life.

I find YOLTs first half highly an "espionage-full" film. If you dont look at the last 20 minutes, it is so. Until the last 30 40 minutes Bond even doesnt knows whp is the villian. I found YOLT to be one of the best.

#125 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 02:33 PM

I think that Connery made 3 more action-full films ( GF, TB and DAF ) and more espionagek-full films ( DrNo, FRWL, YOLT ). I prefer the more espionage biased films to the more action biased films.

How does YOLT qualify as an "espionage-full" film? The thing is pure spectacle and little story. Bond is so busy zipping from location to location, from vehicle to vehicle, fight to fight, the only question is which gadget will he use next and which form of transportation will he use to get him there?

Have to agree with Turn. You Only Live Twice is clearly a Moonraker or The Spy Who Loved Me style film, but I couldn't see it as a dark and moody From Russia With Love. The Little Nellie, Outer Space, just seems larger than life.

I find YOLTs first half highly an "espionage-full" film. If you dont look at the last 20 minutes, it is so. Until the last 30 40 minutes Bond even doesnt knows whp is the villian. I found YOLT to be one of the best.

Perhaps scenes like searching Osato's safe and that sort. But such scenes as the car being dropped in the water?

#126 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 08:41 PM

Perhaps scenes like searching Osato's safe and that sort. But such scenes as the car being dropped in the water?

Its Japan. Everything technological can happen there. Bu I agree it was a less effective scene.

#127 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 08:42 PM

Its Japan. Everything technological can happen there. Bu I agree it was a less effective scene.

I know that, I wasn't trying to refer if it could happen or not in Japan. Just pointing out that because of such scenes like that one, in my opinion, the first half or all of You Only Live Twice isn't extremely espionage filled.

#128 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 09:40 AM

For me it is :)

#129 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 01:19 PM

For me it is :)

I guess if I wanted to split it up a bit:

Espionage bits:
--Bond investigating Osato's
--figuring out information with Taiger Tanaka
--meeting Osato
--and maybe even the Kobe docks

All the rest just doesn't seem to be.

#130 Janus Assassin

Janus Assassin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1898 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 04:54 PM

Espionage bits:
--meeting Osato

I agree... YOLT is my least favorite Connery movie, but those are the good moments and I'll add Little Nellie to it as well. I like YOLT but I like the other Connery films alot more. For example

FRWL
GF
TB
DN
DAF
YOLT

Thats my order of the Connery films.

#131 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 05:02 PM

Espionage bits:
--meeting Osato

I agree... YOLT is my least favorite Connery movie, but those are the good moments and I'll add Little Nellie to it as well. I like YOLT but I like the other Connery films alot more. For example

FRWL
GF
TB
DN
DAF
YOLT

Thats my order of the Connery films.

Oh, I'm not saying those points are the best part of the film, they're just parts where it's the most espionage filled, in my opinion.

The Little Nellie scene for example is a good action scene, but it is hardly espionage. Basically Bond pushing buttons and what not in a fighting/action scene.

#132 dr.doak

dr.doak

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 09:07 PM

This is my list:
FRWL
DN
DAF
TB
GF
YOLT
I LOVE EM ALL

#133 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 09:39 PM

For me it is:

FRWL
YOLT
DRNO
GF
TB
DAF

#134 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 01:16 AM

Currently:

1. Thunderball
2. Goldfinger
3. Dr. No
4. You Only Live Twice
5. From Russia With Love
6. Diamonds Are Forever

My opinion always changes though.

#135 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 02:41 AM

Nice to see this thread taking off again. I've actually never thought of ranking the Connery films, but here it goes:

1) THUNDERBALL
2) DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER
3) FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE
4) GOLDFINGER
5) YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
6) DR. NO

Actually, TB has always been the favorite, so that doesn't change, but the others may switch order at any given time.

#136 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 04:48 AM

Nice to see this thread taking off again. I've actually never thought of ranking the Connery films, but here it goes:

1) THUNDERBALL

Actually, TB has always been the favorite, so that doesn't change, but the others may switch order at any given time.

I think I have to agree with you on that point, Brian Flagg. While my opinions often change on some of the Bond films, when speaking of the Connery films, Thunderball is now always number one. However, many of the others move in rankings.

#137 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 07:27 PM

Nice to see this thread taking off again.  I've actually never thought of ranking the Connery films, but here it goes:

1) THUNDERBALL

I think I have to agree with you on that point, Brian Flagg. While my opinions often change on some of the Bond films, when speaking of the Connery films, Thunderball is now always number one. However, many of the others move in rankings.

TB at no.1 arent you bored of the last 30 20 minutes. I agree that the films first 2/3 is great but it just lets down too much in the end.

#138 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 07:32 PM

[quote name='YOLT' date='18 July 2004 - 15:27'] [quote name='Qwerty' date='18 July 2004 - 04:48'] [quote name='Brian Flagg' date='17 July 2004 - 22:41'] Nice to see this thread taking off again.

#139 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 10:39 PM

TB at no.1 arent you bored of the last 30 20 minutes. I agree that the films first 2/3 is great but it just lets down too much in the end.

Do you mean am I as bored as Connery was during the duration of YOLT? :)

Actually, I've never tired of THUNDERBALL, and I especially like the underwater scenes. As someone who's born and raised in sunny and sub-tropical south Florida, the beach being nearby and all was something I could do when I "played James Bond" as a kid and have similar surroundings. The movie just did it for me.

How do I love THUNDERBALL? Let me count the ways...

Edited by Brian Flagg, 18 July 2004 - 10:42 PM.

#140 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 10:43 PM

Do you mean am I as bored as Connery was during the duration of YOLT? :)

You bring up a rather interesting point, Brian Flagg. To see which of the finales in topic, that of You Only Live Twice's or of Thunderball's, Bond fans find to be the greater bore.

Personally, they're both rather good, but I'd have to say You Only Live Twice's is not as great as Thunderball's. While it's exotic, involves many people, and has loads of great action, I think Thunderball's has even more and comes together well.

#141 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 09:13 AM

I love the "being Japanese", "wedding" and the "look like a pig" scenes. He is a spy not a super hero, so changing clothes and apperance is a must ina spy's life. I am also in favor of Moore being a clown.

#142 Moonraker

Moonraker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 306 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 01:52 PM

Heres my opinion

1. DAF
2. FRWL
3. TB
4. YOLT
5. DN
6. GF

#143 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 02:03 PM

I love the "being Japanese", "wedding" and the "look like a pig" scenes. He is a spy not a super hero, so changing clothes and apperance is a must ina spy's life. I am also in favor of Moore being a clown.

I'll agree that the wedding is done very well in the movie. As is the idea to "become Japanese" and do everything Japanese style, even if that kind of disappears during the final assult of Blofeld's lair.

#144 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 08:09 PM

You bring up a rather interesting point, Brian Flagg. To see which of the finales in topic, that of You Only Live Twice's or of Thunderball's, Bond fans find to be the greater bore.

Personally, they're both rather good, but I'd have to say You Only Live Twice's is not as great as Thunderball's. While it's exotic, involves many people, and has loads of great action, I think Thunderball's has even more and comes together well.

I wonder if people who think TB's finale is too slow is a result of action movies having the hyper Michael Bay movement where things have to go at a rapid pace to be interesting. Nobody was doing big-time undersea action films at that time and something on this scale had to be breathtaking when TB was released.

It may seem tame to some people now, but not to me. In YOLT, the finale is basically a shoot-em up and Bond has the usual race against time complete with the ticking clock just seen in Goldfinger. They exit through the poison gas tunnel safely where the gas has conveniently been forgotten or turned off and Bond and the girl end up in a raft just like the previous film.

#145 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 08:11 PM

I wonder if people who think TB's finale is too slow is a result of action movies having the hyper Michael Bay movement where things have to go at a rapid pace to be interesting. Nobody was doing big-time undersea action films at that time and something on this scale had to be breathtaking when TB was released.

I found it to work wonderfully though. It's kind of like the classic train fight that From Russia with Love is known for. Thunderball reminds me of that underwater finale, and I really do not think it to be too repetitive.

Barry's thrilling cues then really keep the scene moving.

#146 Goldeneye.

Goldeneye.

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 142 posts
  • Location:Working on production of Now or Never, Coming soon in 2OO7

Posted 20 July 2004 - 01:12 AM

Goldfinger deifinitely

#147 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 08:51 AM

Goldfinger deifinitely

And your favourite Moore is Golden Gun. Isnt it :)

#148 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 01:31 PM

Goldfinger deifinitely

What is a little surprising at this poll, as I take another glance at is that Goldfinger actually isn't winning. The often other noted Connery film From Russia With Love is. Usually both will have that same rating in the average movie book, but it's almost always Goldfinger and not From Russia with Love that's mentioned. Overrated perhaps.

#149 Bond_Bishop

Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 03:24 PM

I've just bought and seen Thunderball again and now I know that it is my favourite Connery movie. But Goldfinger it's very good that too.

#150 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 06:02 PM

Goldfinger deifinitely

What is a little surprising at this poll, as I take another glance at is that Goldfinger actually isn't winning. The often other noted Connery film From Russia With Love is. Usually bnoth will have that same rating in the average movie book, but it's almost always Goldfinger and not From Russia with Love that's mentioned. Overrated perhaps.

Thats because FRWL is the best Bond film. Not just for me. For Sean Connery Albert Broccolli and Ian Fleming. Its the climax.