33 replies to this topic

#1 11 11

11 11

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 06:48 PM

I heard a rumor that they were thinking about making a new spy franchise of The Saint movies.

Colin Farrel would play Simon Templar, and the movies would be released every 3 or 4 years like Bond or MI.

Sounds interesting, hope they do it, Farrell would be a good Saint I think.

#2 SecretAgentX-9

SecretAgentX-9

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 01:43 PM

I think Farrell would be an excellent Saint. But a SPY franchise? Simon Templar is NOT a spy, he's a modern-day Robin Hood, like his creator called him many times, a contemporary pirate like Errol Flynn played them I think. And where did you hear such thing?

#3 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 02:35 PM

I've heard talk of the same in a few circles recently. Farrell is a fine actor and (given the RIGHT script) could be a fine Simon Templar.

Although, given his work (American Outlaws, Minority Report and DareDevil due out soon) his schedule might be booked for a few years. Good thought though.

#4 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 03:53 PM

I loved Simon Templar , but i don't believe that it would work. That was tried in 1998 with Val Kilmer . It was a good attempt. After XXX and The new Jack Ryan film , which tanked . There are enough spy films . As some said Templar was more of a Robin Hood than a spy. If that is the case let revive Bulldog Drummond.

#5 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 01:44 AM

Didn't they already try starting a Saint franchise with Val Kilmer??

#6 SecretAgentX-9

SecretAgentX-9

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 02:35 PM

The film with Val Kilmer WAS supposed to satrt a new franchise, but it flopped, badly.
And Simon Templar is definetly NOT a spy, he's a modern day buccaneer.

#7 11 11

11 11

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 11:06 PM

Yes but from what I heard this would be a spy. It would be more like The Saint movie with Kilmer, and would involve money that he keeps.

Sort of like the Connery Entrapment movie. So in essence a spy, just not a secret agent. I think you are confusing the two.

They are not necessarily the same.

Anyway what I heard was Colin Farrel would be Simon Templar and they would start around 2008.

But you hear so many Hollywood rumors so.

#8 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 11:34 PM

Given the state of the economy and how many studios are having financial trouble . The return of the Saint will not work. Look how long it took to get a sequel to " Men in Black" . Val Kilmer was good the idea was right . But not for a major moition picture . Then other series that seconds my point is the " Jack Ryan Films"> They have bottomed out with the placement of HarrisonFord , with the bland Ben Affeck (may be now that he sleeping with J-LO , he may find himself on the short list for Bond) . the only the Val Kimler SAint movie did was destroy a great car in the film . The Volvo C-70 was a nice car that got screwed out of screen time. well the only other thing was Elisabeth Shue as the Physical Chemist . She discovered the process for "cold fission" .

#9 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 04:35 AM

There is another Jack Ryan movie in development based on "Red Rabbit" and due to star Ben Affleck.

#10 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 02:18 PM

The Sum of all the Fears (?) is the title ,right . It was not that good , i enjoyed both of the Harrison Ford films . Any one remember who starred inthe first Jack Ryan film other than Sean Connery and Sam Neill ?.

#11 SecretAgentX-9

SecretAgentX-9

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 02:21 PM

"Yes but from what I heard this would be a spy. It would be more like The Saint movie with Kilmer, and would involve money that he keeps.

Sort of like the Connery Entrapment movie. So in essence a spy, just not a secret agent. I think you are confusing the two.

They are not necessarily the same.

Anyway what I heard was Colin Farrel would be Simon Templar and they would start around 2008.

But you hear so many Hollywood rumors so."

You are quite right, I shouldn't have blended both terms.
But when you say that it would involve money that he keeps (like Connery in Entrapment), what exactly does that mean?
He steals perfectly forged money or something, is that it?

#12 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 05:41 PM

I personally think it's a terrible idea. I wasn't too thrilled with the Val Kilmer movie.

#13 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 06:04 PM

This is one more attempt to make money ,off of Bond . And at the same time employ people , who find their names on the short list ot paly the real thing . The Saint has been around since the 30's . It did not work them , and the only time it did was with Roger Moore . And we all know where he end . I di not see the film in the movies , like many waited for it to appear on cable. So they (the studio ) can do what ever it cares too . i will catch it on cable .Or buy the old Moore series on DVD. Look what film did to John Steed

#14 fulgentius

fulgentius

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 06:09 PM

Jac Ryan was played by Alec Baldwin in The Hunt for Red Octoberr

#15 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 06:17 PM

I rather liked the Val Kilmer Saint movie. It was so obviously an attempt to make a Bond movie, but I still enjoyed it because I loved the character a lot from the Roger Moore days.

Rather than a big-budget movie series which will inevitably compared to Bond, XXX and Jack Ryan, why not go back to the TV route? A new series or several made-for-TV movies. The late night weekend hours are littered with these action shows like Relic Hunter and She Spies. A properly done Saint that doesn't attempt to be just a Bond clone could be a lot of fun.

#16 SecretAgentX-9

SecretAgentX-9

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 11:24 AM

The adavantage of a franchise for The SAint is that Simon Templar is a character that can have any sort of adventure. There are short stories of The Saint which are quite on the brink of terror, I found out in a site.
I don't mean they should do a terror movie, not even close. What I mean is that he could have an adventure in style of Entrapment, or James BOnd, or Indiana Jones or Dirk Pitt (The Saint Overboard) or Hitchcock (who almost directed The Saint in New York) and so on.

#17 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 04:01 PM

Originally posted by SecretAgentX-9

I don't mean they should do a terror movie, not even close. What I mean is that he could have an adventure in style of Entrapment, or James BOnd, or Indiana Jones or Dirk Pitt (The Saint Overboard) or Hitchcock (who almost directed The Saint in New York) and so on.

I always thought the character of Dirk Pitt was perfect for an action movie franchise. I love the Clive Cussler books and as far as I am aware the only one that has been made into a movie is "Raise the Titanic" (glad they made that in 1980 because it would be too dated today). I do hear they are prepping a movie version of his novel "Sahara" though, which is so cool.

#18 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 04:41 PM

I saw "Raise the Titanic" . Only because John Barry did the soundtrack. Who in the name of god is Dirk Pitt?? And how could you build a movie series around him.

#19 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 05:39 PM

I heard about the Dirk Pitt character becoming a possible franchise character also. The subject of him only being the hero of one film came was answered by Cussler saying he didn't like what they did with Raise the Titanic and felt enough time has passed he is ready to try Hollywood again.

#20 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 08:03 PM

Originally posted by kevrichardson
I was "Raise the Titanic" . Only because John Barry did the soundtrack. Who innthe name of god is Dirk Pitt?? And how could you build a movie series around him.

The author Clive Cussler has written a series of best selling novels revolving around the character of Dirk Pitt. The books are constantly on the bestseller lists and the two most recent were "Atlantis Found" and "Valhalla Rising".
Pitt was the hero in "Raise the Titanic" which was based on the Cussler novel of the same name. They are highly enjoyable reads and perfect for a movie franchise.
The word is they are attempting to start up the franchise and if that happens I'll abandon 007 in favor of a more appealing hero like Dirk Pitt. I am half way through "Valhalla Rising" and can't wait until the new Pitt novel comes out.

#21 SecretAgentX-9

SecretAgentX-9

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 02:27 PM

I have a few novels featuring Dirk Pitt. And a note to anydody that has seen the movie: that is not Dirk Pitt, as he shopuld be, that is. Raise the Titanic! is not one of the best novels, but all the others are great.
And yes it is to be turned into a franchise (sahara, night probe! and Inca gold for starters). Imagine James Bond meets Indiana Jones meets Jacques Costeau and you have a sense of Diek Pitt and his adventures.

#22 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 04:51 PM

Of all the books out there that can reliably be called a page turner, they are the Clive Cussler Dirk Pitt novels. They always have an interesting premise and are truly entertaining reads. I didn't think that "Raise the Titanic" was a particularly good adaptation of the Cussler book but I am glad they filmed it when they did since it would seem dated now (particularly the hunt for the location of the sunken luxury liner and the Cold war thing).
It's great to hear they will be bringing Pitt back as a movie franchise character. There is already a ready made fan base out there.

#23 SecretAgentX-9

SecretAgentX-9

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 03:29 PM

Indeed.

#24 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 10:20 PM

There's one really great thing about a Dirk Pitt franchise. If its done faithfully to Cusslers novels it will provide the 007 series producers with a kick up the *** and show them how to make a great action thriller.

#25 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 04:06 AM

Check out this site for the Clive Cussler Dirk Pitt novels:

http://www.bradland....book.bml?sahara

#26 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 11:35 PM

Wow - I didn't realize there were as many Pitt fans here...

Well, then, for you Cussler fans - Cussler is releasing THREE novels this year. That's right - count 'em - THREE.

The first one will be in June - "White Death", the new Kurt Austin adventure with Paul Kemprecos.
The new Dirk Pitt novel is expected to be released sometime towards the end of the year.
And Cussler is co-writing a spin-off novel with Craig Dirgo focusing on the mercenary group featured in "Flood Tide". I'm not sure when they plan to release that.

I'm a huge Cussler fan - the man is my idol - it was from reading his books that I decided that I wanted to be a writer.

As for the "Sahara" film, originally Hugh Jackman was set to play Dirk Pitt (I don't think there's a better example of perfect casting than that), but due to his schedule and all the conflicts that the "Sahara" crew has suffered, that will no longer be possible. Rob Bowman (The X-Files, Reign of Fire) was also set to direct, but he bowed out due to creative differences with Cussler. Crusader Entertainment was supposed to make some kind of announcement by the middle of this month (according to Cussler's PR woman, with whom I've spoken to on a discussion board often), but so far have not delivered. If this project does get off the ground, then they plan to make "Inca Gold" and then my favorite, "Night Probe".

#27 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 11:43 PM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow
There's one really great thing about a Dirk Pitt franchise. If its done faithfully to Cusslers novels it will provide the 007 series producers with a kick up the *** and show them how to make a great action thriller.

Good point. And as you said before, once the whole Dirk Pitt franchise starts up, that may take total priority to me over Bond. I will still always love Bond, but really, nobody does it better than Dirk Pitt.

#28 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 10:30 PM

I agree with you on all points Jack. I love the Dirk Pitt novels. I am reading "Valhalla Rising" at the moment.

#29 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 10:51 PM

Ah yes - great adventure in that one. The summer that "Valhalla" was released (2001, I believe), I went to a bookstore in New Jersey where Cussler visited and they held a book signing. One of the greatest moments of my life...

#30 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 12:45 AM

Hey Jack, is there a Dirk Pitt appreciation society (Fan Club) in existence yet??