#31 mattbowyer

mattbowyer

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 04:00 PM

Two questions di...

You're "Enforcer, Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Roger Moore" yet you seem to hate this film so much. Moore is my fave and I think AVTAK is the worst of the series but his performance makes it ok, as in any moore film.

2. How do i join the SPCRM?

#32 Dr. Yes

Dr. Yes

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 January 2003 - 05:48 PM

You know, I used to hate TMWTGG, until I recently re-watched the entire thing on DVD, and it changed my tune a bit. I still don't think it's among the better Bond films, but it may have worked its way out of the bottom of the barrel because of a few things I never caught on to while watching the chopped-up TV version. There are a few scenes where Bond is very much the sexist Fleming Bond, best illustrated when he slaps around Andrea Anders, and I really thought Scaramanga was a pretty cool villain, even if the plot was a little goofy. I could have done without the slide whistle during the "Javelin Jump," but even with it it's one of the coolest stunts I've ever seen. The only thing I would really get rid of is J.W. Pepper. Why, exactly, was he in a car dealership in Hong Kong?

#33 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 12 January 2003 - 05:58 PM

Bond needed an open roof window to get rid of Pepper.

#34 goldengun

goldengun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 02:29 PM

JUst saw TMWTGG again on the weekend. Still love this movie - the score is wonderful and this movie begins the trend in the Moore movies where there always has to be car chases, wonderful scenery, fights and of course the babes. I love Britt Ekland's role.

Christopher Lee/Roger Moore's talk at the Kickboxing match is classic.

JW is terrific in this movie - he's much better at comic relief than that American army guy in GE (who coincidentally played the bad guy in TLD).

But one more question about this movie - When Bond pulls away in the gondola from the Karate guys he cries out - "What you might call a "Mexican Screw-up" gentleman!"

What is a Mexican screw-up?

#35 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 03:04 PM

Very little is wrong with THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN, in my opinion. It's far and away my favourite of the Moore outings.

It's often made out to be one of the most juvenile of the Bond films, but it's nowhere near as silly (or boring) as, say, DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER. It's also aged a lot better than LIVE AND LET DIE.

Scaramanga is a great villain, Nick Nack possibly the coolest henchman ever, and Andrea may be the most interesting second Bond girl of the series.

The film is great to look at, the score is excellent, and the whole thing is fine tongue-in-cheek escapist hokum. The locations give it a travelogue feel that has long been absent (unfortunately) from the series.

There have also been few better Bond stunts than the corkscrew jump, although I agree with mattbowyer that it is a little marred by THAT comedy sound effect.

On the whole, though, I'd rank TMWTGG among the very best of the Bonds.

#36 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 08:26 PM

Even though I love the Roger Moore Bond films as a body, I know that TMWTGG is the weakest of the series for the myriad of reasons I listed previosly -- most notably the shoddy production design.

#37 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 08:27 PM

You need to contact Xenobia for membership in the SPCRM :)