34 replies to this topic

#31 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 04:32 PM

Yeah, they did three stories on Radio 4, Overboard, Plays with Fire and Closes the Case. They were pretty good and I managed to tape a couple of them.

Re the new proposed series, I think they should go period. With period, they could get away more with a slightly more slow witted Inspector Teal, the stories could be better transfered to screen as much of the literary content would be rendered redundant due to today's technology, and as said above, it would remove any comparison to the Bond series.

I loved the full length novels Overboard, and Saint in New York, either of which would look great on screen. I just hope they start to capture the confident, cool, in control, irreverent and arrogant nature of the Saint's character. Most of this has been lost over time.

#32 Dr Noah

Dr Noah

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 04:20 PM

"Saint in New York, either of which would look great on screen"

ever seen the original "Saint In York" movie? A period re-make would be great! :)

#33 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 04:26 PM

Back when the Kilmer movie was in production RKO announced that they were going to remake their film of "The Saint in New York".

They even went so far as to commission a script that was actually quite a good update of the original story, but sadly nothing ever came of it.

Ian

#34 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 05:16 PM

Is RKO still about?? I figured that to have been a studio long gone the way of the studio system.

Ian, did you get anywhere with the requests, per chance? Appreciated as always.

#35 SecretAgentX-9

SecretAgentX-9

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 February 2003 - 02:43 PM

I thought RKO was long gone as well. I had no idea about them wanting to remake The Saint in NY, a rival Saint production, then, huh?
Interesting fact: Hitchcock was going to direct The Saint in NY (his first american film at the time, I think), but for some reason, he didn't.