Yes, i wil see a part 2 of The Saint.

#2 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 11:24 PM

What do you think about a part 2 of The Saint the movie.

#3 Glen Barrington

Glen Barrington

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 29 December 2002 - 05:21 AM

Nope.

It's a stand alone film, I think.

And the best thing Val did on his own, other than his awesome appearance in michal Mann's "Heat". He was scary in that dowtown LA shootout.

#4 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 29 December 2002 - 02:56 PM

What?! There WILL be a 'THE SAiNT' part two? A second Saint film?

#5 SecretAgentX-9

SecretAgentX-9

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 04:49 PM

The Saint was supposed to be a franchise, but the way they rushed to refil the ending just completly killed it. In the original ending, Elizabeth Shue's character was supposed to be killed and there would be quite a climatic explosive finale. But they test-screened it and the audience didn't like her to die. Big mistake. They were to rushed to reshoot and we were left with a series of epilogues and a way to anti-climatic finale.
I read in an interview with Val Kilmer (maybe in Empire") that Roger Moore could appear in the next one, perhaps playing his dad.

#6 shaolinfist

shaolinfist

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 07:48 PM

There's going to be a Saint part 2?! That's great, I loved the first Saint movie! I thought Val Kilmer was great for the role. An excellent plot too. Is this confirmed? And if so where did you get your information? I need some proof.

#7 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 08:55 PM

I would if it had to be done, get Huge Grant to do it.

#8 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 09:18 PM

Well, if they made it, I would check it out. But I could live without it.

#9 SecretAgentX-9

SecretAgentX-9

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 01:59 PM

No, wait a minute, don't get so excited, That was BEFORE they killed the franchise. I got the info from an interview with Val Kilmer in Empire magazine when the movie was released. The awful ending killed the franchise in an instant. They should have kept the original ending. Empire magazine ran a test-screening in which the showed the original finale, and it looked like it rocked.

#10 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 11:52 PM

But the Saint film was nothing to do with the Saint character.

This isn't the mindless fanboy ramblings of someone who has nothing else to live for in life - the film was an absolute travesty to Charteris's work and bore no relationship whatsoever to his character.

As a film it was fine, but it should have been called something else entirely. All that rubbish about him being a thief solely for profit, the variety of Saintly alias's, his dark side, his childhood, his blond hair, his changing consciences was a complete crock. This wasn't updating - just blatant and unnecessary invention.

They will have to wait another 20 years before that version is forgotten before anyone will be allowed to try a more faithful adaptation.

For faithful adaptations, you have to go as far back as George Sanders in the 30s. It really is quite strange as there is a wealth of material to choose from that provides all the necessary thrills and it would also benefit from being done as a period piece so as to prevent any comparison to the Bond series.

#11 Dortmunder

Dortmunder

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 282 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 12:20 AM

I would like to see a sequal of The Saint to be made. Though I feel that the first one, in 1997, was a little lacking in certain parts (even though I like it), it could be ironed out in the second one, and made into a great picture. I admit that I do have the first one on DVD, and I watch it quite often. I think that it is a very good movie. It doesn't even come close to James Bond, but it is an enjoyable movie nonetheless.

As far as the other ending goes, I would have to see it original ending before I could say whether or not it would have been better.

#12 SecretAgentX-9

SecretAgentX-9

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 02:36 PM

I saw enough (besides the Empire photos, there was a teaser for the VHS rent release with a couple of quick cuts of the other finale). Comparing the released version, I think I would prefer the other anyway. I detest when there's a series of epilogues. Oh, And I read a very short review in the Screenwriters Utopia site where the reviewer claimed that the version of Ronald Bass's script was better (and I believe it, because in my opinion, he's one of the best screenwriters of the business. You should read his draft for Entrapment, maybe you'll agree with me on that one).
Cheers, be here and be well.

#13 SecretAgentX-9

SecretAgentX-9

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 02:39 PM

By the way, DAD will premiere this riday in my country, FINALLY damn it!
I can barely stand the waiting.

#14 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 11:28 AM

There will not be a second Saint movie. Paramount have relinquished all rights to the character.

A new TV series is in the very early stages.

Ian Dickerson,
Honorary Secretary, The Saint Club

#15 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 01:12 PM

Well well, Ian. How the hell are you?

I used to receive your Epistles - a very sad day when they ceased.

Does the TV production company involved now, own the rights as previously owned by Paramount or are TV and Film rights separately dealt with?

Is there any news on the TV series - ie. most pertinently, will it try to look at the work of Charteris as opposed to performing the hatchet job as exemplified by Paramount/Noyce?

Is it American or British?

Cheers.

#16 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 01:20 PM

"Well well, Ian. How the hell are you?"
Very well thank you. How are you?

"I used to receive your Epistles - a very sad day when they ceased."
They didn't cease, they just got put onto the back burner whilst I got married, had kids and wrote other things...

"Does the TV production company involved now, own the rights as previously owned by Paramount or are TV and Film rights separately dealt with?"
TV and film rights are seperate entities but there is a clause in the TV contract regarding the film rights.

"Is there any news on the TV series - ie. most pertinently, will it try to look at the work of Charteris as opposed to performing the hatchet job as exemplified by Paramount/Noyce?

Is it American or British?"
It's a UK/USA joint venture. They haven't yet decided what they are going to do. There should be some news shortly.

There was a planned period adaptation of THE SIMON TEMPLAR FOUNDATION which was remarkably well done (I can say that cos I co-wrote it!) and which a certain former Saint would have directed but the Beeb decided it wasn't for them.

Ian

#17 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 01:30 PM

Many thanks for that Ian.

I'd heard you had returned from Paris and settled in the UK once again - congrats on all the developments thereafter.

I'll be happy to hear of any Epistle news once/should you restart.

Too bad on the Beeb decision. Period dramas aren't outside of their remit or interest so one can only hope for a reversal of decision.

Would the certain former Saint have been Mr Moore. I know he directed a few of his own series as "he still had his ACTT card" or whatever it is?

All the best.

#18 SecretAgentX-9

SecretAgentX-9

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 02:19 PM

The Simon Templar Foundation? Cool. That's actually three short stories, isn't it?

#19 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 02:22 PM

Originally posted by SecretAgentX-9
The Simon Templar Foundation? Cool. That's actually three short stories, isn't it?

No, but it was one of three stories that made up "The Misfortunes of Mr Teal" aka "The Saint in London".

Ian

#20 SecretAgentX-9

SecretAgentX-9

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 January 2003 - 05:02 PM

Yeah, that's it, I remember it now. So that would be the pilot? And how would it diverge from the short story, what would be cut and/or added?
Please, tell me more.

#21 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 10 January 2003 - 09:28 PM

Yeah, it was intended as the pilot. Very little was changed from the original story, just one major scene.

I can't give away too much as there's still an outside chance something may come of it.

Ian

#22 SecretAgentX-9

SecretAgentX-9

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 12:19 PM

It's ok. If they make a Saint tv series that would be great. Let me freshen my memory a bit more. The Saint must find a reformed counterfeiter (or painting forger, I don't remember it quite well) and the bad guy has a pet panther named Sheba, right?
By the way, I heard of a renewed tv series about a bit more than a year ago, about him having a private headqurters in an abandoned warehouse and using virtual reality technology to help him solve his cases, working for the government, I think, was that it?
Oh, and I must say, IMHO, The Saint Over Seas (a.k.a. The Saint Overboard) was one of the most screen-friendly stories.
Be here and be well.

#23 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 02:24 PM

"It's ok. If they make a Saint tv series that would be great. Let me freshen my memory a bit more. The Saint must find a reformed counterfeiter (or painting forger, I don't remember it quite well) and the bad guy has a pet panther named Sheba, right?"
Not sure what this is in relation to. I've not heaard of this before.

"By the way, I heard of a renewed tv series about a bit more than a year ago, about him having a private headqurters in an abandoned warehouse and using virtual reality technology to help him solve his cases, working for the government, I think, was that it?"
Yeah, that was UPN's idea. The Estate of Leslie Charteris severed the deal after they submitted a proposed script that didn't have a single character called Simon Templar.

Ian

#24 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 04:42 PM

Personally, I'd be happy just being able to see rebroadcasts, tapes, or DVD of Ian Ogilvy's 'Return of the Saint' series. But a new series would certainly be welcome if done properly. As to a sequel to the Kilmer film, the first one was bad enough let's not make things worse with a second one.

#25 SecretAgentX-9

SecretAgentX-9

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 05:52 PM

So your version has nothing to do with that rumoured version, right.
And concerning the franchise, I think it can still be saved. Remember what they did with Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan in The Sum of All Fears? I don't mean make him younger, I mean revamp it, reinvent it, whatever. Kill the female interest from the first movie and from there, it could be any kind of adventure. I already suggested The Saint Over Seas, anyone else care to suggest somthing else, other ideas, whatever?

#26 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 09:52 PM

I can safely and happily confirm that the version I was/am involved in has absolutely nothing to do with the previous versions that have been talked about here.

The company with the rights have not yet decided whether to simply update the concept, do a period piece or do something else.

If they do update it then I think you're right, what's needed is a revamp, but a revamp based on the original books. I strongly believe there is a place for someone with the Saint's philosophies and attitudes in the 21st century.

One of the rumored writers is someone who worked on "Return of the Saint" and was held in extremely high regard by Leslie Charteris.

Ian

#27 SecretAgentX-9

SecretAgentX-9

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 January 2003 - 07:06 AM

I believe that as well. I think they should do a contemporary thing (no VR stuff please!). Oh, and now you made me want to go back and re-read The Simon Templar Foundation.
By the way in the "VR-series", who was supposed to be The Saint, if not Simon Templar (unbelievable).
And who is the writer you mentioned?

#28 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 12 January 2003 - 09:50 AM

Can't tell ya yet who the writer is due to our relevant contract negotiations.

Ian

#29 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 January 2003 - 12:51 PM

Didn't they do The Saint Overboard on Radio 4 in the mid-nineties? I only caught the end of it but it seemed quite good.

#30 SecretAgentX-9

SecretAgentX-9

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 January 2003 - 06:43 PM

I don't see why the secretism concerning the writer's identity, but what the heck.