402 replies to this topic

#271 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:01 AM

I'm not sure about the actual "hunger", interest more like. At the moment there are literally countless competitors catering to every facet of the market. Bond's absence is felt but not currently bemoaned. It's a topic of interest for us, and of course for journalist colleagues observing the industry. But actual hunger I don't currently detect with the public. I severely hope that will have changed by 2019 or later.

Agreed - hunger is not there anymore.  But one might argue that the last time a clear wish to see the next Bond film has probably been on the audiences´ mind was after the mega success of THE SPY WHO LOVED ME.  Back then, there wasn´t really the kind of spy action competition we have today.  Even GOLDENEYE was more of a curioso experience for the market: hey, wasn´t Bond a thing of the past?  They are doing one again?

But that´s exactly the problem, IMO.  Instead of feeding the audience Bond films a constant factor of entertainment, EON has backed away.  Therefore they must build up awareness again and again in order to educate the young target group: this is something you want to see, not only your parents and grandparents.

The longer Bond is absent these days the higher the risk that young people will not flock to the next one.  They are bombarded with other franchises which offer their films at least once a year.

The current event strategy might have worked with SKYFALL and even SPECTRE - but it streches the tenure of one actor far too long and to thin.  Even Daniel Craig will lose its appeal sooner or later.  And what if the next event-Bond underperforms considerably?  And if the new actor following that cannot reach a wide enough audience as well?

When Connery stepped down for the first time EON had to prove that Bond is bigger than the actor - so two years later there was Lazenby.  When he did not work out they brought back Connery two years later.  And then two years later there was Moore.  

What I´m getting at is this: EON needs a constant stream of Bond films to keep the business afloat, balancing out the appeal of the actors.

#272 Toxteth_OGrady

Toxteth_OGrady

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:04 AM

Another news snippet with nothing to back it up

http://www.standard....campaign=buffer

#273 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:21 AM

Oh look...the "slit my wrists" quote turned up. We should make drinking game out of phrases likely to turn up in "articles" that quote, along with the words "top bosses," will have you paralytic by the end of the second paragraph.

#274 Toxteth_OGrady

Toxteth_OGrady

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:23 AM

Here is the original article

http://pagesix.com/2...-my-wrist-diss/

#275 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:55 PM

Here is the original article

http://pagesix.com/2...-my-wrist-diss/

I want to believe!

#276 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:22 PM

Me, too.

But in the age of "sources tell me" and "I hear..." this might just be a greatest hits mix:

- "slash my wrist" (check)

- Tom Hiddleston´s smugness (check)

- Purvis & Wade writing (check)

- Craig pleased with "Othello" production by Broccoli (check)

- as soon as Craig says yes production could start (check)

However, if this is indeed backed up by sources, it would be wonderful that they actually have a script now - and that DC is about to agree on it.

#277 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:48 PM

Wade:  You’ve got to say something about Bond’s place in the world"

Fine, so long as they quit having something to say about his place in the Secret Service.

#278 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:31 PM

I get mixed signals about Hiddleston from these "sources". Some say BB liked him after The Night Manager, others say she didn't.

I'm more willing to believe what you guys say. Was he ever truly considered?

Concerning the future, I agree with SecretAgentFan and that Eon must think about the young people. They're the future old fans, after all.

I think they should adopt Yong Bond into an animated series of 39+ episodes plus.

Additionally, in the films, recast the role and get back to a 2-film-2-year cycle, like the Fast and Furious films. Get the script right before shooting. Get the follow-up script planned by another team of writers while the first one is being filmed, so the script will be ready for next time.  

#279 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:42 PM

I'm not sure about the actual "hunger", interest more like. At the moment there are literally countless competitors catering to every facet of the market. Bond's absence is felt but not currently bemoaned. It's a topic of interest for us, and of course for journalist colleagues observing the industry. But actual hunger I don't currently detect with the public. I severely hope that will have changed by 2019 or later.

Agreed - hunger is not there anymore.  But one might argue that the last time a clear wish to see the next Bond film has probably been on the audiences´ mind was after the mega success of THE SPY WHO LOVED ME.  Back then, there wasn´t really the kind of spy action competition we have today.  Even GOLDENEYE was more of a curioso experience for the market: hey, wasn´t Bond a thing of the past?  They are doing one again?

But that´s exactly the problem, IMO.  Instead of feeding the audience Bond films a constant factor of entertainment, EON has backed away.  Therefore they must build up awareness again and again in order to educate the young target group: this is something you want to see, not only your parents and grandparents.

The longer Bond is absent these days the higher the risk that young people will not flock to the next one.  They are bombarded with other franchises which offer their films at least once a year.

The current event strategy might have worked with SKYFALL and even SPECTRE - but it streches the tenure of one actor far too long and to thin.  Even Daniel Craig will lose its appeal sooner or later.  And what if the next event-Bond underperforms considerably?  And if the new actor following that cannot reach a wide enough audience as well?

When Connery stepped down for the first time EON had to prove that Bond is bigger than the actor - so two years later there was Lazenby.  When he did not work out they brought back Connery two years later.  And then two years later there was Moore.  

What I´m getting at is this: EON needs a constant stream of Bond films to keep the business afloat, balancing out the appeal of the actors.

I agree with all you say, especially this: 

The current event strategy might have worked with SKYFALL and even SPECTRE - but it streches the tenure of one actor far too long and to thin.  Even Daniel Craig will lose its appeal sooner or later. 

But then I remember POTC 5 is nearly upon us, 14 years after Johnny Depp first donned the eye-liner, and Tom Cruise's M:I-6 is coming out 22 years after the first film. It gives me hope ;-)

Edited by RMc2, 04 April 2017 - 05:43 PM.

#280 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:30 PM

I get mixed signals about Hiddleston from these "sources". Some say BB liked him after The Night Manager, others say she didn't.

I'm more willing to believe what you guys say. Was he ever truly considered?

Our guess is as good or bad as the next guy's - or your own. Nobody outside Eon and Hiddleston can say for sure. And as long as they keep mum that is that. They may have met, for any number of reasons, everything else is wild guesswork and speculation. He could have been considered for many roles, from Bond to Blofeld, it could all have been a publicity stunt. Or it might even have been outright invention.

Take your pick.

#281 Pierceuhhh

Pierceuhhh

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:18 PM

I heard from a trusted and non-hysterical source that Hiddleston had been offered the role, and that at the time (about a year ago now?) this could be all but confirmed. I believe this is genuine - but that isn't to say it wasn't a tactical move to get Craig to drop his price/ make up his damn mind/ etc. looks like it might've been a John Gavin/ James Brolin situation. I guess we'll find out one day!

#282 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 05:09 AM

It´s highly likely that EON will meet British actors who might fit as Bond - either when the lead actor is proving difficult or just as a general measure for the future.

Hiddleston - last year - was the Clive Owen of his generation.  This year, he still is.

And... the Page 6 article gets picked up by other websites, quoting them as quite reliable: http://www.denofgeek...-doing-one-more

I only wonder what it means when they say: "now the talks with Daniel Craig are going in the right direction".

What kind of talk was that?

"Hey, Daniel, do you want to be Bond again - or what?"

"Um, I might want to, Babs."

What kind of talk had it been before it went into the right direction?

"Um, I´m not into Bondage per se."

#283 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:12 AM

Just so. What it comes down to is a yes or a no. Somewhere I've read Craig was "about to agree". What's that supposed to mean, that he stopped just short of nodding because he got a cramp in his neck?

Supposedly his decision will be based on a script. But whatever the script is, if Craig is not willing to return in general the script won't probably make much difference either way.

As for the direction of the talks, as far as anybody can say it seems there hasn't been much talking previously, which is what opened up the Hiddleston box in the first place.

My take is that Craig will only give it one more go if he gets a say with the director. With the script they will muddle through then somehow.

But what this really points to is something different: somewhere in the background there's got to be a studio and it looks as if they are willing to do a one-off with BOND 25. The reasoning would be to line up Craig, the script, the director and a distribution agreement with a profits margin - and then present it to MGM. It would likely be far from what their management had in mind, but if it's take it or leave it...

#284 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:26 AM

It´s highly likely that EON will meet British actors who might fit as Bond - either when the lead actor is proving difficult or just as a general measure for the future.
Hiddleston - last year - was the Clive Owen of his generation. This year, he still is.

And... the Page 6 article gets picked up by other websites, quoting them as quite reliable: http://www.denofgeek...-doing-one-more
I only wonder what it means when they say: "now the talks with Daniel Craig are going in the right direction".

What kind of talk was that?

"Um, I might want to, Babs."

What kind of talk had it been before it went into the right direction?

"Um, I´m not into Bondage per se."

I think EON has already met actors.

Edited by MISALA1994, 05 April 2017 - 08:26 AM.

#285 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:03 PM

The Page 6 source says Craig so enjoyed Othello that he is more interested in doing Bond because of it. I know Broccoli produced Othello, but surely if he enjoyed it that much he would want to do another Shakespeare, or some other play, not a film about a super spy.

#286 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:05 PM

Just so. What it comes down to is a yes or a no. Somewhere I've read Craig was "about to agree". What's that supposed to mean, that he stopped just short of nodding because he got a cramp in his neck?

Supposedly his decision will be based on a script. But whatever the script is, if Craig is not willing to return in general the script won't probably make much difference either way.

As for the direction of the talks, as far as anybody can say it seems there hasn't been much talking previously, which is what opened up the Hiddleston box in the first place.

My take is that Craig will only give it one more go if he gets a say with the director. With the script they will muddle through then somehow.

But what this really points to is something different: somewhere in the background there's got to be a studio and it looks as if they are willing to do a one-off with BOND 25. The reasoning would be to line up Craig, the script, the director and a distribution agreement with a profits margin - and then present it to MGM. It would likely be far from what their management had in mind, but if it's take it or leave it...

You´re pointing at the central problem here: Craig might return - but only for one last film.  So any distributor will tell MGM: yeah, with Craig we´re willing to do a one-movie-contract.  But with the next unproven actor the conditions must cover our potential losses.

It won´t even help if EON presented a plan for the future, with an actor already locked in to take over - because every actor´s box office appeal rises and falls unpredictably.  And since Bond actor number 7 might take over in three to four years at the earliest he will have had either films tanking (making him unattractive for the studios) or cleaning up at the box office (making him reconsider whether he needs Bond or whether he deserves a much higher fee).

So - it´s a very tricky situation for everybody involved.  Getting Craig back for one more film is probably a guarantee for huge box office results - but won´t resolve the crisis ahead.  Not getting Craig back will make everybody´s goals and conditions much clearer to negotiate - but not easier since every new Bond actor is a risk.

As for Craig´s enjoyment of "Othello" - that project definitely was a major bone EON threw him.  To reject another Bond after that definitely would be bad, bad form.  Then again, this is show business, and Craig has enough money to never work again.  So it is a question for him of whether he will have fun with BOND 25.  And that will depend on the following conditions (for him as for any star):

- will the film hurt or strengthen my status?  (in Craig´s case: will this Bond film be considered as a great ending to my tenure and have a better critical reception than SPECTRE?)

- who is directing? (Since Mendes seems to be out of contention, the director must be able to play nicely with Craig and have a wow-factor that also enhances the project and therefore Craig himself)

- where will it be filmed? (No actor, especially those with wives, spouses or kids, likes to be away from home for too long, and many stars actually choose films that can be filmed close enough so they can at least fly back easily on weekends etc.)

- how long will it take? (Like Connery, Craig will probably add a penalty-clause to his contract, so that filming will have to end as scheduled; and Craig definitely will never want to commit again to a grueling SPECTRE-like schedule again, so expect not a lot of globetrotting but more of a one main location Bond film)

- who are my co-stars? (If Craig got along with Waltz it might be possible to see the latter as Blofeld again.  If not... Blofeld is out or will be recast.  Also, it is absolutely clear that Craig has the right to approve his leading lady.  He needs to like her, too - but not too much, if you want to believe the rumours of his marriage status.)

- and finally: how much money will I make? (In Craig´s case, it´s not really about getting as much as possible, but more of a symbolical view of "how much am I worth to this production, and I certainly won´t accept less than before, especially not on a blockbuster which will make everybody else rich because of ME!)

These are all vaild concerns, of course - but they are the reasons why stars often hesitate so long to commit to a role.  And even if they give interviews in which they state that the script is the most important factor to them...

.. it´s not.  It never is.  You can bring them "Citizen Kane" and still they would ask: yeah, but not with that director, those co-stars, or that money, and I certainly won´t travel to that country...

#287 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:21 PM

This is still all a load of old flannel until he sees a script. That's when he'll say yay or nay. So, P&W, no pressure, but...

#288 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:40 PM

Um, no.

#289 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 02:16 PM

I have an easy answer for EON: fresh start -> no crisis ahead.

#290 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 02:28 PM

Babs & DC have that Cubby & Sir Roger relationship but there is always a certain point...

Edited by MISALA1994, 05 April 2017 - 02:30 PM.

#291 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 02:39 PM

You´re pointing at the central problem here: Craig might return - but only for one last film.  So any distributor will tell MGM: yeah, with Craig we´re willing to do a one-movie-contract.  But with the next unproven actor the conditions must cover our potential losses.

It won´t even help if EON presented a plan for the future, with an actor already locked in to take over - because every actor´s box office appeal rises and falls unpredictably.  And since Bond actor number 7 might take over in three to four years at the earliest he will have had either films tanking (making him unattractive for the studios) or cleaning up at the box office (making him reconsider whether he needs Bond or whether he deserves a much higher fee).

So - it´s a very tricky situation for everybody involved.  Getting Craig back for one more film is probably a guarantee for huge box office results - but won´t resolve the crisis ahead.  Not getting Craig back will make everybody´s goals and conditions much clearer to negotiate - but not easier since every new Bond actor is a risk.

As for Craig´s enjoyment of "Othello" - that project definitely was a major bone EON threw him.  To reject another Bond after that definitely would be bad, bad form.  Then again, this is show business, and Craig has enough money to never work again.  So it is a question for him of whether he will have fun with BOND 25.  And that will depend on the following conditions (for him as for any star):

- will the film hurt or strengthen my status?  (in Craig´s case: will this Bond film be considered as a great ending to my tenure and have a better critical reception than SPECTRE?)

- who is directing? (Since Mendes seems to be out of contention, the director must be able to play nicely with Craig and have a wow-factor that also enhances the project and therefore Craig himself)

- where will it be filmed? (No actor, especially those with wives, spouses or kids, likes to be away from home for too long, and many stars actually choose films that can be filmed close enough so they can at least fly back easily on weekends etc.)

- how long will it take? (Like Connery, Craig will probably add a penalty-clause to his contract, so that filming will have to end as scheduled; and Craig definitely will never want to commit again to a grueling SPECTRE-like schedule again, so expect not a lot of globetrotting but more of a one main location Bond film)

- who are my co-stars? (If Craig got along with Waltz it might be possible to see the latter as Blofeld again.  If not... Blofeld is out or will be recast.  Also, it is absolutely clear that Craig has the right to approve his leading lady.  He needs to like her, too - but not too much, if you want to believe the rumours of his marriage status.)

- and finally: how much money will I make? (In Craig´s case, it´s not really about getting as much as possible, but more of a symbolical view of "how much am I worth to this production, and I certainly won´t accept less than before, especially not on a blockbuster which will make everybody else rich because of ME!)

These are all vaild concerns, of course - but they are the reasons why stars often hesitate so long to commit to a role.  And even if they give interviews in which they state that the script is the most important factor to them...

.. it´s not.  It never is.  You can bring them "Citizen Kane" and still they would ask: yeah, but not with that director, those co-stars, or that money, and I certainly won´t travel to that country...

A very interesting read.

It used to be that the character of Bond was bigger than the star.

(License to Kill was released during one of the biggest blockbuster seasons ever, so that could explain why it under-performed and compromised Dalton's status).

There could even be more interest in Bond without Craig, due to the curiosity factor.

Additionally, by 2019, Daniel Craig may be old hat.

After all, his first Bond film came out before The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Spider Man 3, Twilight, Transformers and Indiana Jones 4. That was a long time ago.

#292 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:42 PM

Well.... The games certainly have begun. Craig is IMO going to be returning if for nothing else than a swan song, but he *might* go for another. I'd like to see his story arc conclude with Blofeld for all the above mentioned reasons, but after that, if he were to do one more, it would be nice if it was a stand alone (as with GF) to cap off his run.

His age isn't the issue. We've all seen the pics of Roger celebrating his 49th at the Pyramids during TSWLM. I think Daniel would have a great 50th if they were lensing by then.

The gears are turning, but the motor hasn't started.

#293 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:15 PM

Just when I thought expecting any form of news was now useless...! Hoping this is true, at least then things are going on behind the scenes.

#294 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:19 PM

I have an easy answer for EON: fresh start -> no crisis ahead.

Oh.

#295 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:20 AM

I'd like to see his story arc conclude with Blofeld for all the above mentioned reasons, but after that, if he were to do one more, it would be nice if it was a stand alone (as with GF) to cap off his run.

At this stage, I'm thinking Irma Bunt as the main villain. Have Blofeld released from jail on some technicality or busted out by force. Or he simply stays in jail - they could take either option. Perhaps have Madeleine killed off early on, which spurs Bond out of retirement. Bond films like introducing new talent, so focusing on Bunt for the majority of the film would provide that new hook. Same thing with offing Madeleine early on, where she could be replaced by some other female character. Especially if Waltz and Seydoux don't want to commit to anything demanding again. 

#296 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:19 AM

Madeleine is Irma Bunt and it's all part of one last trap. At the conclusion, Bond has to kill her. Oh, the angst.

(Offered up with no authority whatsoever; it'd give a nothing character something to do, though, and might explain the total absence of chemistry between them in SPECTRE. She's the daughter of a villain and Blofeld has known her since childhood, apparently. All that Nine Eyes guff was just misdirection*).

*insert "all of SPECTRE seemed to be misdirected..." observation [here].

#297 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:53 AM

That actually would be fantastic.  And it would make sense: Madeleine going along with Bond to see Blofeld, Blofeld not killing or at least torturing her as well, and Madeline at the end of SPECTRE luring Bond away from the service...

Oh, what a wicked one.

#298 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:55 AM

I'd like to see his story arc conclude with Blofeld for all the above mentioned reasons, but after that, if he were to do one more, it would be nice if it was a stand alone (as with GF) to cap off his run.

At this stage, I'm thinking Irma Bunt as the main villain. Have Blofeld released from jail on some technicality or busted out by force. Or he simply stays in jail - they could take either option. Perhaps have Madeleine killed off early on, which spurs Bond out of retirement. Bond films like introducing new talent, so focusing on Bunt for the majority of the film would provide that new hook. Same thing with offing Madeleine early on, where she could be replaced by some other female character. Especially if Waltz and Seydoux don't want to commit to anything demanding again. 

Yes, let's have the first Craig era PTS to not feature Craig in it! Blofeld's badass escape from custody - all done in a mere five minute sequence. 

Madeleine is Irma Bunt and it's all part of one last trap. At the conclusion, Bond has to kill her. Oh, the angst.

(Offered up with no authority whatsoever; it'd give a nothing character something to do, though, and might explain the total absence of chemistry between them in SPECTRE. She's the daughter of a villain and Blofeld has known her since childhood, apparently. All that Nine Eyes guff was just misdirection*).

*insert "all of SPECTRE seemed to be misdirected..." observation [here].

Lol  :laugh:

#299 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:41 AM

The "Craig returning?" story is picking up steam, despite the questionable source. I'm assuming journalists believe there is an appetite for more Craig Bond and his name next to Bond will get them more traffic.

#300 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:53 AM

At the moment it's the reasonable thing to suppose he will return.