402 replies to this topic

#301 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:54 AM

The "Craig returning?" story is picking up steam, despite the questionable source. I'm assuming journalists believe there is an appetite for more Craig Bond and his name next to Bond will get them more traffic.

It's 50/50 but i prefer a long-term thinking...

#302 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:27 PM

Okay, the next writers´ strike may begin on May 2.

Time to finish the script for BOND 25, guys...

http://www.hollywood...-reached-991578

#303 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:55 PM

Given there's still no financial backer as of yet, I don't see EON being particularly worried about this, especially given how early they are in production compared to they where the last two times this happened.

#304 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:25 PM

Okay, the next writers´ strike may begin on May 2.

Time to finish the script for BOND 25, guys...

http://www.hollywood...-reached-991578

Wow! Can't believe we're really doing this again. But i'm with them - writers deserve a far bigger slice of the pie.

I prefer they don't start shooting Bond25 if they don't have a finished script. Can you imagine Craig's swan song being as incomplete as QoS?  

Why bother?

#305 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 03:02 PM

Well, there are always other considerations that are a priority.  

IF secretly MGM has secured a new distributor already and told EON to go ahead and develop the script they might have already set their eyes on a specific release date.  Which MGM needs in order to tell their shareholders: all´s right in our world, the next cash cow is coming.

That actually might have happened for EON to start hiring P&W to deliver a script in order to get things moving and Craig and a director onboard.

Because why should EON go ahead on their own, not knowing that at the end of that process MGM and a distributor are ready to greenlight the picture?  In that case all the work would be for nothing, Craig would not wait forever, nor could a director keep his schedule free forever.

That´s why I believe that hiring P&W for the script means: things are moving much more quickly than we are allowed to know at this point.

Which also means: if they have to stop at May 2 it will definitely present a problem for BOND 25.  Especially if Craig wants to return and things have to fall into place quickly.

#306 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:54 PM

EON always used Bond actors for as long as they could, to guarantee that box office. Connery and Moore were used beyond their expiry date - if Lazenby hadn't quit, he could easily have played Bond for over a decade. Dalton was Bond until he retired from the role. The only time an actor was actually 'let go' was with Brosnan, and that was when the commercial and creative opportunities offered by CR outweighed the commercial advantages of keeping Brosnan.

I always wonder if they could've squeezed in a 5th Brosnan outing in 2004, with the understanding it would be his last but while setting up the reboot with CR and Craig.  But, I guess most likely not, as it would be all the same people having to work the logistics of both.

Dave

#307 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:23 PM

Well, there are always other considerations that are a priority.  

IF secretly MGM has secured a new distributor already and told EON to go ahead and develop the script they might have already set their eyes on a specific release date.  Which MGM needs in order to tell their shareholders: all´s right in our world, the next cash cow is coming.

That actually might have happened for EON to start hiring P&W to deliver a script in order to get things moving and Craig and a director onboard.

Because why should EON go ahead on their own, not knowing that at the end of that process MGM and a distributor are ready to greenlight the picture?  In that case all the work would be for nothing, Craig would not wait forever, nor could a director keep his schedule free forever.

That´s why I believe that hiring P&W for the script means: things are moving much more quickly than we are allowed to know at this point.

Which also means: if they have to stop at May 2 it will definitely present a problem for BOND 25.  Especially if Craig wants to return and things have to fall into place quickly.

You're probably right.

But it might be that they need Craig on board in order to get the best bargaining power in the distributor deal. And maybe Craig won't commit until he sees a script.

Ergo Eon hire P&W to knock something up in order to get Craig to say yes, in order to get the distributer to say yes.  Maybe ;)

#308 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:15 PM

I doubt EON is particularly worried about the writers' strike. This is very early, after all.

#309 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:38 AM

It depends how long P&W have been working on the script. What if they have been working on it for a year and could have it finished before the end of April? Since they have been involved in all of the last 6 Bond films, they probably have lots of unused ideas.

Wasn't it their idea to bring back Irma Bunt for SPECTRE?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#310 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:43 AM

I'd like to see his story arc conclude with Blofeld for all the above mentioned reasons, but after that, if he were to do one more, it would be nice if it was a stand alone (as with GF) to cap off his run.

At this stage, I'm thinking Irma Bunt as the main villain. Have Blofeld released from jail on some technicality or busted out by force. Or he simply stays in jail - they could take either option. Perhaps have Madeleine killed off early on, which spurs Bond out of retirement. Bond films like introducing new talent, so focusing on Bunt for the majority of the film would provide that new hook. Same thing with offing Madeleine early on, where she could be replaced by some other female character. Especially if Waltz and Seydoux don't want to commit to anything demanding again. 

Yes, let's have the first Craig era PTS to not feature Craig in it! Blofeld's badass escape from custody - all done in a mere five minute sequence. 

Madeleine is Irma Bunt and it's all part of one last trap. At the conclusion, Bond has to kill her. Oh, the angst.

(Offered up with no authority whatsoever; it'd give a nothing character something to do, though, and might explain the total absence of chemistry between them in SPECTRE. She's the daughter of a villain and Blofeld has known her since childhood, apparently. All that Nine Eyes guff was just misdirection*).

*insert "all of SPECTRE seemed to be misdirected..." observation [here].

Lol  :laugh:

Love, love, love the idea of Irma Bunt back and busting Blofeld out of jail. 

#311 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:52 AM

If the writers´ strike will really happen and P&W can manage to deliver a workable draft before May 2, EON might move forward and find a director, get Craig to sign on and start preliminary work - and hopefully the strike will be ended until late summer (as it happened years ago, because TV season starting in the fall, a longer strike would not be financially feasible for the studios).  So, unless the current script will not satisfy anyone and force EON, Craig etc. to wait out the strike to start work on a script again, BOND 25 could remain on schedule.

Yes, if, if, if...

#312 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:48 AM

The worry is that the current script does not satisfy anyone and Eon decide to press ahead anyhow (which would mean re-casting, but surely they've worked out that plan B - as in who - by now).

#313 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:09 PM

Was PB out year & half after DAD?

#314 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:25 PM

Less.

CBn had word and first reported about it in early February 2004 (for which we got a lot of stick and hatred from loads of naysayers until the very day when Craig was announced). There is an interview somewhere (can't find it, sorry)  from earlier in 2004, in which he says that his time as Bond is over, which means that it was confirmed even before we reported. Funnily, no one took this into account in the debate following the CBn report. 

What followed was a lengthy and rather heated debate (especially on these boards), and media reports that had Eon claim that "Brosnan is Bond, for now" (which only meant that hadn't found a replacement, yet) and Brosnan saying that his future as Bond is "opaque" (oh, how we all loved this "opaque" thing, it became the in-word for the following months).

Much later, Brosnan said in another interview (which, again, I unfortunately can't find) that he he got the call when they were shooting a particular scene for After the Sunset in the Bahamas. According to the shooting schedule, this was some time around mid-December 2003

#315 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 04:51 PM

Purvis and Wade are working on another project. Based on this Deadline story they've actually been working on it for a while.

http://deadline.com/...sbo-1202060728/

#316 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:16 AM

Purvis and Wade are working on another project. Based on this Deadline story they've actually been working on it for a while.

http://deadline.com/...sbo-1202060728/

Well, they are in demand because they can deliver and work well with producers and studio executives.  Exactly what you have to bring to the table if you want to have a career.

This project will not collide with BOND 25, by the way, because writers always need to juggle many projects - since most projects will not come to fruition or have you exchanged later on in the development process.

Also, with the possible strike coming on, it´s important for writers to stack up on projects so they do have jobs when the strike is over - in contrast to having to look for new ones about six months from now.  Bills need to be payed in the meantime and afterwards.

#317 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 09:31 AM

Less.

CBn had word and first reported about it in early February 2004 (for which we got a lot of stick and hatred from loads of naysayers until the very day when Craig was announced). There is an interview somewhere (can't find it, sorry) from earlier in 2004, in which he says that his time as Bond is over, which means that it was confirmed even before we reported. Funnily, no one took this into account in the debate following the CBn report.

What followed was a lengthy and rather heated debate (especially on these boards), and media reports that had Eon claim that "Brosnan is Bond, for now" (which only meant that hadn't found a replacement, yet) and Brosnan saying that his future as Bond is "opaque" (oh, how we all loved this "opaque" thing, it became the in-word for the following months).

Much later, Brosnan said in another interview (which, again, I unfortunately can't find) that he he got the call when they were shooting a particular scene for After the Sunset in the Bahamas. According to the shooting schedule, this was some time around mid-December 2003
Thanks...

#318 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 05:45 PM

https://tribune.com....urn-james-bond/

Seems closer than ever.  Hiddleston is out.  P&W have a script.  Can official word be too far away?

#319 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:36 AM

It´s just a rehash of the previous article.  Therefore your topic "Daniel Craig will return?" was merged with this one.

But maybe the rumour that article was based on approached some truthiness.

#320 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:34 AM

Jeffrey Wright posted "Eh, who's that brother? #007" on his Instagram page today. Is he hinting at a Felix return or just paying tribute to the past?

#321 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:46 AM

TH was never "in" so he can't be "out".

Edited by MISALA1994, 10 April 2017 - 08:47 AM.

#322 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:06 AM

Jeffrey Wright posted "Eh, who's that brother? #007" on his Instagram page today. Is he hinting at a Felix return or just paying tribute to the past?

It is very enticing! I hope to 00-heaven it means he's back in Bond 25...which in turn means B25 is further along than we know.

http://birthmoviesde...iter-in-bond-25

#323 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:16 AM

Weird.  Wright does not need to milk his 007-connection.  Why is he twittering this?

Two possibilities:

a ) thoughtlessly buggering around with old photos

b ) EON authorizing him to start PR with this indirectly, building up awareness for BOND 25 again.

I sincerely hope it is b )

#324 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:46 AM

A return of Felix Leiter would be most welcomed.

#325 Tiin007

Tiin007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:33 PM

These last few months have been ripe with rumors. Here's hoping to a speedy resolution to all this uncertainty. 

#326 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:34 PM

It´s just a rehash of the previous article.  Therefore your topic "Daniel Craig will return?" was merged with this one.

But maybe the rumour that article was based on approached some truthiness.

I thought about putting it in this thread.  Nobody did so after two days I posted it.  Came back to post the Jeffrey Wright bit, but see you're already on top of it!

I'm feeling more optimistic about DC's return and Bond 25 starting than ever before!

#327 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:00 PM

A return of Felix Leiter would be most welcomed.

I've been wanting Wright back for every Craig film. If Bond 25 ends up as Craig's last, then I definitely want him back.

#328 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 07:21 AM

Weird.  Wright does not need to milk his 007-connection.  Why is he twittering this?

Two possibilities:

a ) thoughtlessly buggering around with old photos

b ) EON authorizing him to start PR with this indirectly, building up awareness for BOND 25 again.

I sincerely hope it is b )

Me too. Otherwise why would he tweet that?

-

#329 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:05 AM

If it happens, I'd love an expanded role for Wright's Felix. He's probably the best actor who has played the role. He gave Felix a cool aura. He handles the humour, I believe he's competent in his job and could also be Bond's friend.

#330 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:08 AM

It does seem as though momentum is now being built... as above let's hope for some swift official news!