289 replies to this topic

#31 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:37 AM

I slightly got the impression by it's vague wording of "a nemesis of sorts", that it's not the main villain he's playing but a morally ambiguous contact - sort of like how Valentine Zukovsky was in Goldeneye, some one who could've been the main villain in different circumstances. But that may just be me...

#32 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:50 PM

Maybe these leaked news about Waltz are indeed only a smokescreen for the announcement of the real villain...

I guess Baz only gets his info from EON and with their approval.  So...

#33 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:51 PM

I slightly got the impression by it's vague wording of "a nemesis of sorts", that it's not the main villain he's playing but a morally ambiguous contact - sort of like how Valentine Zukovsky was in Goldeneye, some one who could've been the main villain in different circumstances. But that may just be me...

I agree. I don't expect Waltz to be the main villain.

#34 Bond of Steele

Bond of Steele

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:59 PM

I agree. I don't expect Waltz to be the main villain.

I think he may be in a Mathis-type role.  Regardless, let's hope his acting talents are put to wonderful use.  

#35 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 03:18 PM

The reports are that Waltz took the role Ejiofor almost had, so he's gotta be the main villain.

#36 Bourbon Woman

Bourbon Woman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 03:35 PM

Waltz would make a fine villain, but I would have expected him to turn it down, just to avoid playing yet another movie villain. Baz's report makes it sound very much like a Mathis/Zukovsky type role. You know, he's an older man, continental and cynical, at first he seems to be on Bond's side, then he double-crosses Bond but it's nothing personal, then he makes good because he's got a heart of gold, then he gets mortally wounded by the villain, then he has a tender scene with Bond where he croaks. Rinse and repeat. I hope Waltz's role would be more original than that, but I sense that MGW really identifies with this archetype -- the operative who is older and craftier than Bond, but just so very, very tired and crippled by existential ennui that he's grateful to be shot and thrown in a dumpster. Then again, Waltz is younger and more sprightly than your Giancarlo Giannini, so age alone might force a different approach. Personally, I hope he'll be the main villain. He would be excellent as a Max Zorin-type character. Grandiose, brilliant, and cheerfully psychotic.  

Edited by Bourbon Woman, 16 November 2014 - 03:39 PM.

#37 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:13 PM

Baz's source compares Waltz's character to Bardem's Silva. It's also noted that Waltz took Ejiofor's role. He's *clearly* the main baddie.

All the stuff about the character being "very surprising" and having had some history with Bond simply suggests that they've come up with another "This time, it's personal" angle.

#38 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:36 PM

lazycastingforbondvillain.com

#39 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:05 PM

lazycastingforbondvillain.com

bestlazycastingforbondvillainever.com

wonderfullazycastingforbondvillain.com

superblazycastingforbondvillain.com

ifyouhavetobelazypleasecastchritophwaltzasbondvillainplease.com

;) Guy´s a chameleon, I hope he won´t be reduced to an archetype. Bardem wasn´t a typical latino "Joaquim de Almeida" kind of villain. One could have assumed they were heading that way. Good thing they didn´t. I´m sure Waltz will blow us away. 

#40 Hansen

Hansen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 431 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:16 PM

What about the rumour of having SPECTRE coming back ?

Do we have some more news/hints about that ?

I wonder if Walz could be the new Blofeld

#41 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:24 PM

I would imagine that it would be important to Mendes to create his own iconic villain, rather than fall back on references once again. I think enoigh reverence was paid to the past in Skyfall. Time to move forward.

#42 Hansen

Hansen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 431 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:31 PM

I would imagine that it would be important to Mendes to create his own iconic villain, rather than fall back on references once again. I think enoigh reverence was paid to the past in Skyfall. Time to move forward.

I tend to agree but revisiting SPECTRE about 30 years after its last outing is something I would be interested to see

#43 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:34 PM

One could argue that having Blofeld back wouldn´t be a reference as much as having an important character from the Bond universe back. A new take on it would be very interesting, something more in the Fleming vein. Ernst was never a very fleshed out character in the films. Actually, I was never a fan of the Fleming Blofeld, neither of the one from the films. But I still think Waltz could do something very interesting with it.

#44 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:40 PM

I agree that Walz is somewhat of an obvious choice, but obvious for a reason, he would be brilliant. I have felt for years that he would make a great Bond villain. I for one hope this is true.

#45 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:47 PM

Agreed.  We need something new, not just another film filled with homages, references, and old characters being reintroduced.

#46 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 09:50 PM

Baz's source compares Waltz's character to Bardem's Silva. It's also noted that Waltz took Ejiofor's role. He's *clearly* the main baddie.

I didn't see the suggestion that Waltz took Ejiofor's role in Baz's article, unless I missed something. I saw other articles made that connection though.

Accept it's probable that's he's the main villain though, given that they're unlikely to have attracted someone else of that ilk.

#47 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 10:58 PM

Accept it's probable that's he's the main villain though, given that they're unlikely to have attracted someone else of that ilk.

Agreed.  I think it's most likely that he's the main villain, unless they've come up with another meaty part that they could convince a two-time Academy Award winner to take.

I just hope that this doesn't end up being some kind of rehash of the villains that he's played thus far.  Now that they're going with actors that have either been in rival spy franchise (Seydoux) and are very much typecast as villains (Waltz), I hope that they do something interesting with them and have their characters go against what we're expecting them to be.

#48 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:01 AM

Interesting news. He certainly looks the part.

The comment about him being either good or bad, and a grey area hints that he may be an MI6 agent, who turns. This is actually what all the villains have been like in the last 5 or 6 Bond movies. As Mathis commented in QOS, "As one gets older, it becomes more difficult. The villains and the heroes get all mixed up..."

It's almost as if a new director or writer comes on board and says "I've got a novel idea - let's have a baddie who used to be a goodie" without realising this happens every time.

#49 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:37 PM

I am very excited because this Bond film is having some really big names in it! I think this is good because it's helping to keep the Bond franchise alive! I watched Inglorious Bastards and Django Unchained and this guy can truly act. Whether he is a villain or not, the fact that he is in this Bond film makes me very excited. 

#50 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:24 PM

There was a time when news of the casting of actors such as Albert Finney and Ralph Fiennes in the new Bond film would have certainly indicated that they were playing the main villain. Times have changed with Mendes.

I don't think Waltz is playing the main villain.

Reading the original article from Baz indicates to me that he is going to be a morally ambiguous shape shifter, a bit of a cunning rascal -. Hopefully not too derivative of characters we've seen before, but something interesting  enough to attract an actor as skilled as Waltz.  

#51 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:42 PM

I'm thinking of the possibility of Waltz as a sort of a saboteur/spy for hire. He plays whichever side gives him an advantage and perhaps Bond needs to persuade him to assist MI6?

#52 Marcin

Marcin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:58 PM

Christoph Waltz is a fantastic actor, however I'd also prefer if he wasn't the main villain (why not make him a recurring character?). On the other hand, having so many A-class actors on board (and we still have no clue who gets the Bond girl part) I'm only afraid that there won't be enough screen-time to properly focus on James Bond and his actions and his adventures. Each and every single one of those actors will try to gain as much as possible for themselves (I don't know if I put it comprehensibly).

#53 Ace Roberts

Ace Roberts

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 433 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:26 PM

So here is a thought. Waltz is exactly a decade older than Craig. He could get away with being 15 + years his senior on screen. Bond was orphaned at age 11. That would make this individual 26 to 27 at that time. That would be the age a newly trained doctorate of psychology would have started his practice. Perhaps one of his first patients was this young boy traumatized of his parents death from a mountain climbing accident. This once confidant and insider to Bond's psyche though has a dangerous secret, belonging to an organization that has more than people's health as their focus. Just a thought.

#54 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:28 PM

I can't imagine them having a two time Oscar winner standing around unless he is the baddie.

#55 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:42 AM

So here is a thought. Waltz is exactly a decade older than Craig. He could get away with being 15 + years his senior on screen. Bond was orphaned at age 11. That would make this individual 26 to 27 at that time. That would be the age a newly trained doctorate of psychology would have started his practice. Perhaps one of his first patients was this young boy traumatized of his parents death from a mountain climbing accident. This once confidant and insider to Bond's psyche though has a dangerous secret, belonging to an organization that has more than people's health as their focus. Just a thought.

I was trying to do the maths on this a few days ago. Never realised that Waltz was a full 10 years older than Craig. It could work, just.

#56 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 02:54 PM

I've been on these boards since 2002 and a Bond fan my whole life. The fact that people aren't jumping for joy over Christopher Waltz being cast in a Bond movie blows my mind. I mean we have Ralph ****ing Fiennes as M for heavens sake. Back in the Brosnan Era this was the type of thing that only happened in the Fan Fiction Section or "Describe your fantasy Bond 21" type threads. In terms of popularity & critical reception this is probably the biggest Bond has been back since '65 circa Thunderball. Let's be happy!

#57 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:05 PM

I'm with you, DanMan.

All kinds of people were looking at me strangely as I read the casting news and exclaimed "YES!!!!" to nobody in particular.

#58 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 06:38 PM

My reasoning goes like this  - It has been made clear by someone familiar with the script that when we meet Waltz' character, it is not clear if he is an ally or a villain or a bit of both. If they are spinning it like this and it turns out that he is in fact the film's main villain, wouldn't the casting of Waltz be a terrible idea and give the game away from the outset? So much so, that it would not even be worth them attempting to play it as a plot twist. Why even bother setting up this supposed ambiguity?

I could see Waltz as a corrupt opportunist who has involved himself in the villain's plan, a colourful character who is wicked but not outright evil. 

Someone who the audience is not very certain about, even at the end. 

#59 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:54 PM

Like this idea. I would use the name Dr. Shatterhead and the Garden of Death as a way to heal health problem or other psychological issues 

#60 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:55 PM

Like this idea. I would use the name Dr. Shatterhead and the Garden of Death as a way to heal health problem or other psychological issues 

This is what is making me think that Waltz could in fact be playing a recurring character and not just a one-off. Blofeld anyone?