91 replies to this topic

#61 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:59 PM

I think that White was probably the most important Quantum member that we ever actually saw on screen, but not one of the people who were "in charge" of the organization (I don't believe that there's an actual singular leader of the organization).  Obviously they don't come out and give away that information, but I just get that feeling from the way that White conducts himself in his two films.  For instance, the fact that he has the foresight to simply pocket his earpiece in Bregenz rather than making himself visible to Bond by trying to leave, which the other Quantum members foolishly do.

#62 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:59 PM

Well, I suggested the idea because someone mentioned about Craig's Bond needing a nemesis and it seemed (at least for CR/QoS) Mr. White was being set up to be that type of character.

#63 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:36 PM

I would be surprised if they went that route, if only because of the comments Jesper Christensen made about the franchise in the lead-up to Skyfall.  I think they'll just either let his character simply remain a loose end or, if they do bring back Quantum, we'll learn his fate in a comment made by M or Bond during a briefing or something like that.

http://www.mi6-hq.co...8336&t=mi6&s=tb

#64 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:41 PM

I don't take much stock in him retracting the comments.  The statements made in that story, for me, just paint the picture that he realizes he shouldn't have publicly criticized the people who put him in the highest profile films of his career and tried to smooth things over after the fact. 

#65 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:46 PM

True.  I wonder whether EON would use him nevertheless for a future Quantum appearance.  He was quite good in his role.  Wouldn´t mind seeing him again.

#66 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:53 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing him again either, if EON decides to bring back Quantum.  I'm also not entirely against the idea of Mr. White being one of those villains who simply gets away and we never hear from him again. 

#67 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:18 PM

I always thought it was a little strange Mr. White was there to kill Le Chiffre. I would have thought he would have people for that....

I suppose that is why I always considered him just a messenger to a higher power. 

#68 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:23 PM

I interpreted them having Mr. White being the one to kill Le Chiffre as a simple storytelling move to give the audience a familiar face to be the one who takes out Mr. White, so that they know it was Quantum taking him out rather than giving the audience a brand new character that they don't associate with Quantum.

#69 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:01 PM

Still he seems like a errand boy until QOS. People are chasing Bond at the start of QOS, Quantum agents are blowing their 8 year covers to save Mr. White, yet he still watches from the shadows to receive a suit case in CR worth what I would imagine is pocket changed to Quantum. What was it again? I want to say 50 million.

"Money isn't as valuable to our organization as knowing who to trust."

So maybe Mr. White doesn't trust people with doing the job then and that is why he kill Le Chiffre. Ya that's it...

I can't think straight at the moment. Can't keep talking about Mr. White without thinking about what that QOS deleted scene was of. Could possibly of answered a lot of questions which maybe be why it hasn't seen the light of day yet too.

I wonder if Jesper Christensen made those comments after finding out that scene was cut....

#70 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:56 PM

I very seriously doubt that he made the comments after finding out that the final scene of Quantum of Solace was cut, as he made the comments in 2010. 

As far as I'm concerned, Christensen is absolutely entitled to his opinion that the films are what he says they are.  Heck, when it comes to certain films in the franchise, I agree with him.  But, the fact that he was willing to publicly state that sentiment means that I just can't see EON inviting him back to portay a supporting character who won't have appeared on screen in seven years by the time that Bond 24 arrives in theaters. 

#71 Zen Razor

Zen Razor

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:13 PM

Reading that article just put a smile on my face I'm glad to see John Logan enjoying the work he is doing and the enthusiasm is still around it shows these guys are bringing their A game again. Is it just me or does having this cast seem like the perfect team. They really don't seem to be struggling and are just going with the flow. I'll look forward to seeing some stuff about Blofled or another 00 Agent. I'm sure this film will be just as great as Skyfall considering Bond films are built on nostalgia. 

#72 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:21 AM

The QoS deleted scene - if I've got this right - had 007 tracking down one Guy Haines (no relation, of course!) to his country estate in the UK, only to find Mr White there, "terminating" Haines' membership of Quantum in the most permanent way possible. Bond then confronts White. Not sure whether he kills him though.

#73 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:10 AM

The QoS deleted scene - if I've got this right - had 007 tracking down one Guy Haines (no relation, of course!) to his country estate in the UK, only to find Mr White there, "terminating" Haines' membership of Quantum in the most permanent way possible. Bond then confronts White. Not sure whether he kills him though.

If my memory serves me correctly, Bond enters the estate, shoots White before White can kill Guy Haines, and when asked by Haines who he is, Bond simply smiles and the screen cuts to black. There's video and a photo from the scene floating around somewhere.

#74 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:23 AM

If my memory serves me correctly, Bond enters the estate, shoots White before White can kill Guy Haines, and when asked by Haines who he is, Bond simply smiles and the screen cuts to black. There's video and a photo from the scene floating around somewhere.

Yep, something like that. Although they filmed at least two versions - one with Bond simply smiling, and another where he says "the line".

#75 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:52 PM

Yep, something like that. Although they filmed at least two versions - one with Bond simply smiling, and another where he says "the line".

Cool!

This is all I could find on t'interweb:

#76 Agent Spriggan Ominae

Agent Spriggan Ominae

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:31 PM

Cool!

There's actually a short snippet of them filming the scene in a Jesper Christensen interview from around the QOS was released. The footage just showed White sitting in a chair raising his gun as he say's something like..."I'm sorry, I know it wasn't your fault, but they know who you are." to presumably Haines off screen. You can see a production still from the deleted ending in the QOS soundtrack album. There's also one production still of Craig in his gray suit in Haines estate but now it kinda blends in look of the scenes from the PTS and inquiry scenes from SF. Actually I just did a quick search and here it is. The bit with deleted ending is about a minute in.

#77 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:39 PM

Cool!

There's actually a short snippet of them filming the scene in a Jesper Christensen interview from around the QOS was released. The footage just showed White sitting in a chair raising his gun as he say's something like..."I'm sorry, I know it wasn't your fault, but they know who you are." to presumably Haines off screen. You can see a production still from the deleted ending in the QOS soundtrack album. There's also one production still of Craig in his gray suit in Haines estate but now it kinda blends in look of the scenes from the PTS and inquiry scenes from SF. Actually I just did a quick search and here it is. The bit with deleted ending is about a minute in.

Thanks! Yeah, that's the same footage as at the end of the game video. I'm Googling the QoS album art now...

#78 GardenerJames..Gardener

GardenerJames..Gardener

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:04 PM

all i ask is that they UPDATE blofeld no big scar, no ma suit, no white cat.  SPECTRE dont make it an acormyn just use the name:  Spectre of: Death, Sin, War, Disaster..etc

#79 Pushkin

Pushkin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:55 PM

Not sure if there are rights issues, but could that final scene be edited and used in a new movie? Not sure if it would work, but it could be a way of dealing with Mr. White and then moving on to a plot around Quantumn or Spectre.

I for one don't think it's that big of an issue that it has been so long since QoS because in the series it's only been one film. The briefing scene could involve lines that suggest that Quantum is indeed a force again etc., or they have picked up the trail again. I wouldn't worry about Haines that much, but it would be nice to have some resolution with Mr. White. I also don't see it as a problem regarding the ability for Quantum to come back from the dead, To take a real world example, would anyone be truly shocked if Alquaeda launched a terrorist attack after being quiet and descimated? I wouldn't. So I see the idea of Quantumn coming back as not being a stretch.

If they never close off the Quantumn story in the Craig era, I will look back on it as a disappointment just as I am disappointed with how Blofeld was handled years ago (i.e.,  not one actor in the role, order does not make sense (i.e., Bond does not recognize Blofeld in OHMSS) . But that won't hamper my enjoyment of the next two films. I will take them on their own terms. All I want in each case is a very good story with a well written script. 

Cheers

#80 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:33 PM

Not sure if there are rights issues, but could that final scene be edited and used in a new movie? Not sure if it would work, but it could be a way of dealing with Mr. White and then moving on to a plot around Quantumn or Spectre.

I for one don't think it's that big of an issue that it has been so long since QoS because in the series it's only been one film. 

Cheers

I'd love for them to do that. There'll be no legal issues, but I imagine Mendes and Logan will loathe to include a scene written and directed by other people in their film.

I agree that it isn't an issue for Quantum to make a return. It's easy to re-establish the organisation with simple exposition. QoS was also very open-ended with regards to Quantum: only one out of several members at the opera was apprehended - and he was killed by someone else within his own organisation! Bond only really foiled one of their many schemes.

SF didn't deal with Quantum because EON wanted to celebrate and evaluate Bond's 50 year history with a reflective, redefining entry - while Mendes had his own agenda to make a stand-alone Bond film with a strong villain. Given QoS' reception in 2008, I'm sure EON were also keen to avoid another direct sequel and 'restart' the series (there's so much insecurity about the franchise evident in SF). I don't think there's any suggestion they want to abandon Quantum.

Edited by RMc, 12 March 2014 - 11:34 PM.

#81 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:26 PM

I'd be incredibly surprised if they ended up using the QOS deleted scene in an upcoming Bond film. It would certainly be interesting though, if it was in the PTS and had a '7 years early' on screen. 

#82 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:31 PM

I don't think that scene will surface again. I wouldn't be surprised to see an homage to it, but that's about it.

#83 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:04 PM

Much as some of us would like to see it - I certainly would - one can see why the deleted scene from QoS wasn't used, at least if the contributors above are correct. Bond confronts Mr White, shoots him and says (or maybe he doesn't?) "the line". Even if he killed White and said "Bond, James Bond" to Guy Haines, it's very similar to the end of CR.

Could it be used in a future Bond featuring Quantum? As a "flashback"? Maybe in black and white as in the start of CR? Again, similar to it, and after a gap of seven years audiences could be forgiven for wondering about its relevance. If Bond 23 hadn't been "Skyfall" I could see how the scene could have been used in a Quantum continuation story. But it wasn't.

#84 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:25 AM

I would much rather see it used in an extended, "Director's Cut" version of QOS. Wait, scratch that, Forster would probably c*ck it up. Make it even shorter and more badly edited.

Can we get a different director to do a "Special Edition" of QOS?

#85 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:57 AM

Regarding this supposedly brilliant ending to Quantum of Solace, Forster was absolutely correct to leave it on the cutting room floor.  It would have been a terrible way to end the film, ruining the emotional close that we got with Bond dropping Vesper's necklace in the snow as he walks away.  The gunbarrel took enough away from that moment, but including another scene that is already very similar to the one that already ends the film would have been too much. 

#86 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:08 AM

Regarding this supposedly brilliant ending to Quantum of Solace, Forster was absolutely correct to leave it on the cutting room floor.  It would have been a terrible way to end the film, ruining the emotional close that we got with Bond dropping Vesper's necklace in the snow as he walks away.  The gunbarrel took enough away from that moment, but including another scene that is already very similar to the one that already ends the film would have been too much. 

Agreed completely.

#87 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:21 AM

After listening to the Mendes SF commentary I began to wonder if any character is going to be built on it would be Bill Tanner.

M, Moneypenny, Q and even Felix if he returns I'd rather just see doing their duties.

#88 Pushkin

Pushkin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:05 PM

After listening to the Mendes SF commentary I began to wonder if any character is going to be built on it would be Bill Tanner.

M, Moneypenny, Q and even Felix if he returns I'd rather just see doing their duties.

Would love to see more on Tanner and really would like to see them establish the friendship between him and Bond. Would be great to see them golfing or eating together and then having them both are called back to the office. If M's role is expanded where is navigating the political/bureaucratic world and strategizing, there could be a great opportunity to make Tanner a part of that as well as being involved in Bond's briefings.

#89 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:27 PM

At what point does it all become too much? That's a lot of characters and it all worked fine in the context of SF, but let's not lose focus on these being James Bond movies and not Agents of SHIELD.

If anything, I'd like to see Leiter involved in the final attack on the villains like in NSNA or LALD.

#90 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:31 AM

At what point does it all become too much? That's a lot of characters and it all worked fine in the context of SF, but let's not lose focus on these being James Bond movies and not Agents of SHIELD.

If anything, I'd like to see Leiter involved in the final attack on the villains like in NSNA or LALD.

Yes to Leiter!  He should return!