34 replies to this topic

#31 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:52 PM

Yeah! I mean the gun barrel is a characteristic of the James Bond franchise. It makes it unique in that way compared to other agents and spys we see in pop culture.

#32 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:19 AM

The gunbarrel belongs at the start of the film. And in CR we did get it at the start, admittedly in a different way, though one I rather liked. Could never understand why it didn't open QoS. And far be it from me to disagree with an award winning director, but I will - it would have worked with the SF opening. The examples made and shown here prove it.

I wonder if the only reason it's been relegated to the "back of the bus", or left in place but changed somewhat as in CR, is to distinguish the reboot films from what went before. The film makers - particularly with CR - went out of their way to emphasise the "Bond Begins" aspects of the Craig films. Perhaps they and their directors thought they couldn't do this if the opener gives the impression of "Bond Continues".

#33 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:38 AM

I wonder if the only reason it's been relegated to the "back of the bus", or left in place but changed somewhat as in CR, is to distinguish the reboot films from what went before. The film makers - particularly with CR - went out of their way to emphasise the "Bond Begins" aspects of the Craig films. Perhaps they and their directors thought they couldn't do this if the opener gives the impression of "Bond Continues".

I think Bond has "begun" enough for a while now. He's fully formed at this pont. Put the gunbarrel back at the beginning and get on with it!

Here's a theory: Now that Barbara is firmly in control of Bond, perhaps it is her creative choice? Maybe her view is to gear the Bond films towards female filmgoers; perhaps women do not want to watch a film that opens with basically blood dripping down the screen?

Just a thought.

Edited by dtuba, 09 August 2014 - 06:39 AM.

#34 Connerybond

Connerybond

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:21 PM

A CGI gun barrel  should do.

#35 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:29 PM

I love the look of GoldenEye's gun barrel. The reflective effect and fluid motion of it... probably the best looking of the whole series. Granted, all of the Brosnan barrels had this effect, but GoldenEye's still stands out to me. Something similar would be great.