45 replies to this topic

#31 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:22 AM

I liked the humor and irony that appeared in Skyfall. I think the one liners really make the James Bond franchise what it is.

Agreed.

Me too.

#32 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:23 PM

That's what I am missing now. I mean I want one liners! I don't want stupid one liners though.. 

For example: 

TWINE: "I thought Christmas only came once a year" 

NOT THAT ^ That's just gross. I want cheesy one liners that are dirty, but yet not borderline disgusting. If that makes sense. 

#33 Trip_Aces

Trip_Aces

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:30 AM

That's what I am missing now. I mean I want one liners! I don't want stupid one liners though.. 

For example: 

NOT THAT ^ That's just gross. I want cheesy one liners that are dirty, but yet not borderline disgusting. If that makes sense. 

Hit the nail right on the head, Iceskater! I think the humor of the Brosnan era really started to wear thin and aim for the lowest common denominator with cheesy, crass one-liners.

I'm all for the "old irony" returning for Bond 24. Daniel Craig can handle humor very well, and his style (with comedy) is more dry, reserved...which is not say he isn't able to crack a smile because he can totally do it! I miss the gallows humor of the early Connery films - little gems like, "I think they were on their way to a funeral", "He got the point", or "Just a drop in the ocean": little gems like that which are evocative of the dangerous situations Bond finds himself in, but highlighting the fact that, to him, it's all in a day's work.

#34 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:43 AM

Hmm, didn´t he say the same thing in (too) early interviews about "SKYFALL"?

It´s the easiest comment right now to elicit approval.  Well played, Daniel.

He did say the exact same thing in the build up to Skyfall.  This isn't really news at all, it's just his usual PR shtick that he uses to get the fanbase fired up.  

It would be news, however, if the film actually delivered on this.  

#35 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:58 PM

The lack of recent news is frustrating/annoying... but if this means they are hard at work, I can't complain.

#36 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:58 PM

The months of no news will soon come to an end.  Patience...

#37 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:01 PM

Deep breaths... feeling better :)

#38 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:19 PM

As filming is expected to start in December, I expect they'll have on massive press conference announcing the title and cast around then, as was the case with Skyfall. Still though its rather odd that we know far more about what's happening with Star Wars Episode VII than we do about Bond 24 at the moment.. :)

#39 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:45 PM

Not that much more... and filming on SW already started in May.

I´m sure BOND 24-news will start coming our way in a few weeks when contracts are signed.  Actors, cinematographers, locations... and, of course, website domains will once again be registered and reveal the title.

#40 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:55 PM

Still though its rather odd that we know far more about what's happening with Star Wars Episode VII than we do about Bond 24 at the moment.. :)

I think this has more to do with the fact that we just had Skyfall released 2 years ago while the last proper Star Wars movie came out way back in 1983! The hype for SW7 was always going to be huge.

#41 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:49 PM

Still though its rather odd that we know far more about what's happening with Star Wars Episode VII than we do about Bond 24 at the moment.. :)

I think this has more to do with the fact that we just had Skyfall released 2 years ago while the last proper Star Wars movie came out way back in 1983! The hype for SW7 was always going to be huge.

Yeah, but what do we really know about it?  The cast was announced shortly before shooting began and continued to be announced during the following months. 

Apart from that, we don´t know the title, we don´t know anything about the story (and please, rumors don´t count, we can make up anything about BOND 24 and call it a rumor as well), and SW 7 is already shooting for months now!

So, with the news situation on BOND 24 all´s still pretty normal right now.

#42 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:59 PM

By this time next year some cretin will have leaked script pages, and by this time in 2016 we'll have picked the film apart and moaned it to death anyway. That's not too long to wait, now.

This silence is just the start of the usual cycle. Embrace the calm.

#43 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:22 PM

I am going through James Bond withdrawal! :/ I want a new Bond movie soon!

#44 Trip_Aces

Trip_Aces

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:25 PM

I have a strong feeling we'll get the most escapist (and fun!) Craig-Bond film yet...but "weeee shall seeee...!"

#45 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 02:13 PM

2015 is going to be fantastic! I am so excited for this movie.

#46 bondjames

bondjames

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 04:59 PM

You know, I  think Thunderball had some of the best lines and humour. Connery was on top of his game.

"No, some men don't like to be taken for a ride" while doing exactly that with Volpe

"Would you mind giving me something to put on"  by Volpe before Connery hands her the shoes

"I'm not what you'd call a passionate man" while sneaking a glance at Domino

Classics......nuanced and perfectly delivered

How we got from that to "Christmas comes once" or "Pass me the Stationary" I don't know.

If they're going to do the humour, at least get it right. I loved the banter between Bond and Q and between Bond and Moneypenny in Skyfall so they seem to be back on form.

For example: 

Hit the nail right on the head, Iceskater! I think the humor of the Brosnan era really started to wear thin and aim for the lowest common denominator with cheesy, crass one-liners.

I'm all for the "old irony" returning for Bond 24. Daniel Craig can handle humor very well, and his style (with comedy) is more dry, reserved...which is not say he isn't able to crack a smile because he can totally do it! I miss the gallows humor of the early Connery films - little gems like, "I think they were on their way to a funeral", "He got the point", or "Just a drop in the ocean": little gems like that which are evocative of the dangerous situations Bond finds himself in, but highlighting the fact that, to him, it's all in a day's work.