This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

OFFICIAL: Mendes Return for Bond 24 - Release set for 2015

191 replies to this topic

Poll: OFFICIAL: Mendes Return for Bond 24 - Release set for 2015

How do you feel about this?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

If you could give / had the temerity to give him advice, it would be...

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Would you want him to do a third?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:07 PM

Terrible news. 2015 relase and return of Newman.

A 2015 release is not terrible news, as we all knew/should've known that a 2014 was impossible at this point.  They'd basically have to have casting underway and pre-production halfway done at this point, but they didn't even have a director chosen, so 2015 truly was the earliest we could've expected.

As such, I'm thrilled that Mendes is back AND that Bond 24 is coming out in 2015 and not 2016.  Not only is that one less year to wait, but it means we're likely to have Craig's 5th Bond film already shooting before he turns 50 in March of 2018.  Remember, Brosnan was all set to do another Bond after turning 50 but wasn't asked back.  Craig's popularity makes that less likely, but it's still not impossible, and I think most around here agree that we'd like to see him do as many Bond films as possible within reason while he still looks the part and is physically up to it.

Dave

Edited by rubixcub, 11 July 2013 - 09:08 PM.

#62 I never miss

I never miss

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 316 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:27 PM

Excellent excellent news. I like Arnold but liked Newman's SF score and would love to have him and Deakins back. Think it's possible that Bond 25 could release in Oct 17 and be Craig's last, just have a feeling that his last will be produced with a two year gap. Anything else... Oh yes; having seen the snow sections in Inception and loved them, Bond must see sustained snow action in B24 (like OHMSS but unlike a fleeting glimpse in TWINE).

#63 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:58 PM

847 days is a long way off. Good thing I have Sharknado on SyFy tonight to get me by.

#64 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:15 PM

I have 2 1/2 seasons of The Man From Uncle to sustain me...

#65 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:20 PM

Gives Craig plenty of time for his usual fitness regime - he'll be massive by then!

With confirmation now, is a mod able to change the forum section title to 'Bond 24 (2015)' please? It would appease my OCD. ;)

#66 TheManwiththeWaltherPPK

TheManwiththeWaltherPPK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:29 PM

Excellent excellent news. I like Arnold but liked Newman's SF score and would love to have him and Deakins back. Think it's possible that Bond 25 could release in Oct 17 and be Craig's last, just have a feeling that his last will be produced with a two year gap. Anything else... Oh yes; having seen the snow sections in Inception and loved them, Bond must see sustained snow action in B24 (like OHMSS but unlike a fleeting glimpse in TWINE).

Deakins and snow... drool.

However, I don't know if I necessarily want to see an OHMSS style ski-based action sequence.  OHMSS did it so well and Inception did such an excellent homage of those sequences in OHMSS, that I worry that an attempt to do it again in Bond 24 would be unlikely to live up to the nolstalgia.  However, a Northern European locale and lots of snow for atmosphere would be great.  I hope Mendes keeps the geographic focus of the film rather limited again.  The way that Skyfall took place primarily in the UK felt more like the early films and the Fleming stories where one country was examined in depth.  Too much jetsetting makes it difficult for the location to become a fleshed out character in its own right.

#67 MooseWithFleas

MooseWithFleas

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:11 AM

Would love to see a Craig snow scene filmed by Deakins!! 

This is good news. Slightly disappointed it's not 2014, but if Bond Movies can be consistently produced every three years I'll be happy.

If they are still using the rumored 2 part Bond film idea from John Logan, then there is a good change Bond 25 will be in 2017 and an outside chance that it could be in 2016. If it's a two parter, they would conceivably have a very similar cast which could allow them to film the movies back to back (similarly to what they did with the Lord of the Rings series). A 2015-2016 Bond 24&25 would be amazing. That being said, having 25 released by 2017 would put Craig at 49 years old and a nice end point for his run. A 5 film run with two bonafide classics AT LEAST :D

#68 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:12 AM

I wonder if it's too early to begin speculation or hoping that Bond will be back in an Aston Martin in Bond 24.. I loved the DB5 in SF, but somehow always though Craig looked cooler in the DBS in CR and QOS...Perhaps we'll get a newer model of Aston... :)

#69 Trevelyan 006

Trevelyan 006

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:15 AM

This is good news. Slightly disappointed it's not 2014, but if Bond Movies can be consistently produced every three years I'll be happy.

If they are still using the rumored 2 part Bond film idea from John Logan, then there is a good change Bond 25 will be in 2017 and an outside chance that it could be in 2016. If it's a two parter, they would conceivably have a very similar cast which could allow them to film the movies back to back (similarly to what they did with the Lord of the Rings series). A 2015-2016 Bond 24&25 would be amazing. That being said, having 25 released by 2017 would put Craig at 49 years old and a nice end point for his run. A 5 film run with two bonafide classics AT LEAST :D

I rather like this idea.

#70 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:42 AM

A 5 film run with two bonafide classics AT LEAST :D

Quantum of Solace and..?

#71 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:39 AM

How returning James Bond directors compare http://uk.movies.yah...-201300037.html

#72 archer1949

archer1949

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:08 AM

Amen to that. I was not a fan of Newman's score. BORING.

I do hope Deakins returns, though.

#73 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:12 AM

THX QOS. 

Trying to look on the bright sides at least we can probably rule out Kate Winslet as a Bond girl...

#74 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:26 AM

I rather like this idea.

Nice but it ain't gonna happen. Craig shot down the idea of filming two at once pretty early on, and EON denied that they were planning a two-parter. I also doubt Mendes would sign on for such a huge production given how he likes to take a theatre break between films and found SF 'exhausting'.

It isn't inconceivable that Craig was mistaken to shoot the idea down, that EON are lying to us and that Mendes could be persuaded to make back-to-back sequels for a HUGE salary (which EON look happy to pay out), but a BTTF/LOTR/POTC-style finale to Craig's tenure seems out of the picture.

THX QOS. 

Trying to look on the bright sides at least we can probably rule out Kate Winslet as a Bond girl...

Fingers crossed for Rachel Weisz ;)

Terence Young followed Dr No & From Russia With Love with THUNDERBALL  :mellow:

... your point being?

Pay attention to the smileys ;)

I think it's more than fair to say that Thunderball is only a half success  - that is, for every classic Bond moment it serves up, there's bad plotting and pacing to make it the least of Young's Bond films. I still love it, but my point is the trend for third-timers to deliver their least satisfying film...

#75 Peaceful

Peaceful

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

Great news. Don't forget that by the end of this year, we'll start seeing the casting, details, then comes set stills, and all the good Bond fandom. Can't wait to follow the progress of the next film. 

So really, it's only about a half year before we see something of Bond 24, even less time. Didn't Skyfall start filming in November 2012?

I think that will all start happening late next year, until then it'll be all press speculation.

I did like Newman's score for Skyfall, but admit I love David Arnold's scores and would like to see him back, but I can't see Mendes working without his usual composer.

Likewise. Sad to think Arnold won't be returning, but Newman will do a good job. And Bond 24 is in very good hands with Mendes :)

Jumping ahead here, but I DO hope they get someone else for Bond 25. The Bond franchise has an underwhelming history when it comes to third outings:

John Glen followed For Your Eyes Only & Octopussy with A VIEW TO A KILL  :angry:

Lewis Gilbert followed You Only Live Twice & The Spy Who Loved Me with MOONRAKER  :angry:

Guy Hamilton followed Goldfinger & Diamonds Are Forever with LIVE AND LET DIE. Okay, exception to the pattern. But his third-in-a-row film was THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN  :sad:

Sorry but what the frig's wrong with Thunderball ????????
And people dis Moonraker, but it was the most successful film of the franchise till Goldeneye.

#76 Peaceful

Peaceful

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

I rather like this idea.

Nice but it ain't gonna happen. Craig shot down the idea of filming two at once pretty early on, and EON denied that they were planning a two-parter. I also doubt Mendes would sign on for such a huge production given how he likes to take a theatre break between films and found SF 'exhausting'.

It isn't inconceivable that Craig was mistaken to shoot the idea down, that EON are lying to us and that Mendes could be persuaded to make back-to-back sequels for a HUGE salary (which EON look happy to pay out), but a BTTF/LOTR/POTC-style finale to Craig's tenure seems out of the picture.

THX QOS. 

Fingers crossed for Rachel Weisz ;)

... your point being?

Pay attention to the smileys ;)

I think it's more than fair to say that Thunderball is only a half success  - that is, for every classic Bond moment it serves up, there's bad plotting and pacing to make it the least of Young's Bond films. I still love it, but my point is the trend for third-timers to deliver their least satisfying film...

It was the most successful Connery film. Not 'alf at all lol

#77 Peaceful

Peaceful

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:17 AM

I'm happy it's going to be in 2015, as it's better for pre-production. But I get the feeling they got Mendes back in the hopes to make another billion.

I'd rather a smaller tighter budgeted film with a fresh director.
Bring back crazy Russian villains and come and shoot it in Australia.

And I liked Newman's score as a one off like Conti and Hamlisch. Anyway didn't Mendes get Newman simply because Arnold wasn't available?????

#78 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

Great news. Don't forget that by the end of this year, we'll start seeing the casting, details, then comes set stills, and all the good Bond fandom. Can't wait to follow the progress of the next film. 

So really, it's only about a half year before we see something of Bond 24, even less time. Didn't Skyfall start filming in November 2012?

I think that will all start happening late next year, until then it'll be all press speculation.

I did like Newman's score for Skyfall, but admit I love David Arnold's scores and would like to see him back, but I can't see Mendes working without his usual composer.

Likewise. Sad to think Arnold won't be returning, but Newman will do a good job. And Bond 24 is in very good hands with Mendes :)

Jumping ahead here, but I DO hope they get someone else for Bond 25. The Bond franchise has an underwhelming history when it comes to third outings:

John Glen followed For Your Eyes Only & Octopussy with A VIEW TO A KILL  :angry:

Lewis Gilbert followed You Only Live Twice & The Spy Who Loved Me with MOONRAKER  :angry:

Guy Hamilton followed Goldfinger & Diamonds Are Forever with LIVE AND LET DIE. Okay, exception to the pattern. But his third-in-a-row film was THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN  :sad:

Sorry but what the frig's wrong with Thunderball ????????
And people dis Moonraker, but it was the most successful film of the franchise till Goldeneye.

People dis Moonraker because it's crap.

Thunderball is far from the worst Bond film, but it's overstuffed with pointless gadgets, plot holes and moments of technical and artistic cheese in an overly eager-to-please fashion, which for me makes it less than the sum of its parts. And that's a huge shame because it's got such a great premise and crew, and so many iconic moments. Like I said, I still love it, but that doesn't stop it from being a lesser film.

We all know mega-monies doesn't equal quality *cough* Transformers *cough*  ;)

I'm happy it's going to be in 2015, as it's better for pre-production. But I get the feeling they got Mendes back in the hopes to make another billion.

I'd rather a smaller tighter budgeted film with a fresh director.
Bring back crazy Russian villains and come and shoot it in Australia.

And I liked Newman's score as a one off like Conti and Hamlisch. Anyway didn't Mendes get Newman simply because Arnold wasn't available?????

I'd prefer a smaller, tighter film too, but SF spent it's $200 million well, so hopefully the $200-250 million budget for Bond 24 won't spoil things.

That's exactly how I feel about Newman as well - sadly, Mendes hired him because Mendes always works with him. David Arnold made a statement saying so.

#79 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

Bollox - it's just herd mentality. It takes everything established from THE SPY WHO LOVED AND ME and does it better, and with more class. Sure, there's some pacing issues towards the middle and the Dolly-Jaws crap, but otherwise it's Moore at his best.

For me there's only two utterly cheesy moments in THUNDERBALL - the rack "torture" and the undercranked/sped up background plate during the Disco Volante fight. 

What plot issues?

#80 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:03 PM

Bollox - it's just herd mentality. It takes everything established from THE SPY WHO LOVED AND ME and doesn't better, and with more class. Sure, there's some pacing issues towards the middle and the Dolly-Jaws crap, but otherwise it's Moore at his best.

For me there's only two utterly cheesy moments in THUNDERBALL - the rack "torture" and the undercranked/sped up background plate during the Disco Volante fight. 

What plot issues?

You're trolling, right?

#81 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

I would be really surprised if Arnold returned. To much money at stack not to have all the names they had last time up on the bill. 

Editor STUART BAIRD could be another domino to fall...

#82 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:26 PM

Arnold himself stated his availability was not an issue for Skyfall's soundtrack.

He also said he's totally available for Bond 24 if they'll call him back.

#83 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:38 PM

Arnold himself stated his availability was not an issue for Skyfall's soundtrack.

I'd like to see Newman return again, and chances are high he will. His Skyfall score was a real grower to the point it became my favourite of the modern era.

#84 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:53 PM

Nice to see this officially set in stone! Roll on Bond 24!

#85 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

I'd like to see Newman return again, and chances are high he will. His Skyfall score was a real grower to the point it became my favourite of the modern era.

Absolutely agree, Newman's score is by far, the one score for a Bond film I listen to the most. One score from Thomas Newman beat five from David Arnold, and even got an Oscar nomination (which I believe it should have won).

#86 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:16 PM

Bollox - it's just herd mentality. It takes everything established from THE SPY WHO LOVED AND ME and doesn't better, and with more class. Sure, there's some pacing issues towards the middle and the Dolly-Jaws crap, but otherwise it's Moore at his best.

What plot issues?

You're trolling, right?

Nope.

#87 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

Poll added

#88 Rik

Rik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:53 PM

Poll added

What poll?

Don't worry, I've found it *facepalm*

#89 Mr. Arlington Beech

Mr. Arlington Beech

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

I'm a little mixed on the news but definitely more to the positive side.  My concern with bringing Mendes back, though this could be a problem on the part of the producers regardless of the director, is that SF is one of the greatest Bond successes critically and financially.  I heard critics and fans alike call it the Dark Knight of James Bond movies.  They were saying it had transcended the genre.  Now with that much hype and success, isn't it human to think they have to be better and better every time?  

I just hope everyone involved sets out to make a great Bond movie in its own right and doesn't try to top SF.  SF is great and deserves the recognition it gets but I hope it doesn't become the 21st century GF in that they are always trying to capture the same magic movie after movie.  I'd hate to see them repeat the same mistake.  There is only one SF just as there will only ever be one GF.  Hopefully, the producers and Mendes will except that and move on to give us a great Bond 24 not burdened by lofty expectations in the wake of SF.

I understand your concern regarding the general moviegoer, but for my personal taste..... I have never considered GF or SF are such a great movies, and having in mind its respective times, I think DN and CR are quite superior than those; so my expectations aren't that high for the follow up to SF..... And continuing with the same line of thought, I will be pleased enough with a film of the same quality (and success) of TB for 'Bond 24'.

#90 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

Absolutely agree, Newman's score is by far, the one score for a Bond film I listen to the most. One score from Thomas Newman beat five from David Arnold, and even got an Oscar nomination (which I believe it should have won).

The fact it received a nomination doesn't mean it's a good score... a lot of movies won oscars they didn't deserve. Or, for example, Raiders of the Lost Ark didn't win the oscar it deserved.

Also, no. Newman's score is so unmemorable, lacks too much Bond's theme (he just used the vamp through the whole movie), his tracks are never fit the situations like Arnold's scores did, and he can't make epic action themes like Arnold.