This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Deadline hints at new Mendes involvement for BOND 24

Empire: Its not Sam Mendes

404 replies to this topic

Poll: Who should direct Bond 24?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Generally

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Specifically - for those who have already directed a Bond film

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Specifically - for those who haven't already directed a Bond film - multiple choices

Vote Guests cannot vote

#331 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:38 PM

Other top choices: Michael Haneke, Uwe Boll and Seth MacFarlane.

Seth MacFarlane? Interesting choice, what made you come to that conclusion?

#332 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:51 PM

Other top choices: Michael Haneke, Uwe Boll and Seth MacFarlane.

Seth MacFarlane? Interesting choice, what made you come to that conclusion?

I think it's sarcasm...

#333 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:19 PM

It is. I would not want him near Bond. Nor Haneke or Boll.

#334 Sir Godfrey

Sir Godfrey

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:32 PM

Seth MacFarlane ? I don't think so but his composer Walter Murphy is brillant.

#335 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:01 AM

It is. I would not want him near Bond. Nor Haneke or Boll.

Oh come on, what's wrong with Uwe Boll? :P

#336 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:37 PM

I don't think I've ever seen a Uwe Boll film or would even care too. I don't understand why he has so much hate, if you don't like his films why are you watching them? 

#337 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:37 PM

Morbid curiosity.

#338 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:06 PM

I don't think I've ever seen a Uwe Boll film or would even care too. I don't understand why he has so much hate, if you don't like his films why are you watching them? 

'Rampage' is probably his only decent film, though it still is crap.

#339 TheSilhouette

TheSilhouette

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:10 PM

Here's an fascinating excerpt from an interview with MGW:

"Meanwhile, as many Bond fans know, the EON producers still have the major challenge of finding a new director for Bond 24, which is being scripted by John Logan, after the surprise decision of Sam Mendes not to take up their recent offer to direct Craig’s fourth 007 instalment. Interestingly, when Michael Wilson and his EON co-producer Barbara Broccoli attended the special press evening for John Logan’s new play Peter and Alice in London, the journalist Richard Brooks, who writes for the ‘Culture’ section of the Sunday Times, was able to briefly ask Wilson about this situation. According to Brooks, Wilson said that half a dozen directors have already turned him down: ‘I think we’ll end up with a comparative unknown’, said Wilson. As Brooks noted in the Sunday Times, perhaps one of the reasons why some big names have turned down the opportunity to direct the next instalment of the world’s most successful movie franchise is precisely because Skyfall has been such a critical and commercial success – and Bond 24 is very likely to be compared unfavourably to its predecessor. Some reports have claimed recently that John Logan, who is single-handedly writing the stories for both Bonds 24 and 25, has already shown the EON producers a very basic outline treatment for Bond 24, indicating some of the key likely themes."

I wonder who these half dozen are, and if they have narrowed it down by now.

#340 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:35 PM

Interesting snippet there. Thanks for posting.

I imagine Danny Boyle will be one of those approached who turned it down. Apart from that, I'd just be speculating even more wildly.

#341 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

That is an interesting update that I'm sure will have us debating who said no to MWG. THX for sharing. I really hope Bigelow wasn't one to have turned it down. 

My Top 5 in alphabetical order: 

Christopher Nolan 42 [Busy with Interstellar] Would like to see what else he does first

David Fincher 50 (Seven, The Social Network, TGWTGT) [I rule him out b/c he's apparently working on 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea & maybe TGWPWF]

Jon Favreau 46 (Cowboys and Aliens, Iron Man, Iron Man 2) I know this isn't a popular choice
Kathryn Bigelow 61 (Point Break, The Hurt Locker, Zero Dark Thirty)
Martin Campbell 69 [Says he wont return but that was before Green Lantern tanked] I say let him have one last go at it although he is almost Jedi Dench old 

#342 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:49 PM

Peter Webber.

#343 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:01 PM

Perhaps not surprising a lot of directors get cold feet in light of SKYFALL's success. I wonder if Wilson was serious about the relative unknown.

#344 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:23 AM

I hope we don't get another Marc Forster...

#345 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

A relative unknown would probably be the best. Nobody with prior baggage, mostly someone who has to prove himself, someone who does not give EON the auteur-we-have-to-make-this-dark vibe.

The most important thing: he or she should be a massive Bond fan.

#346 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:17 AM

I'm fine with an unknown, just don't want another QOS.

#347 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

Agreed, but there are different kinds of Bond fan, some more desirable than others...

#348 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

A relative unknown would probably be the best. Nobody with prior baggage, mostly someone who has to prove himself, someone who does not give EON the auteur-we-have-to-make-this-dark vibe.

I think I'd prefer someone who isn't a Bond fan, to be honest.  It would be nice to just get a great director who can come in and direct the script that has been written, rather than having a fan of the franchise who wants to stuff the films with nods and winks to the past and try to style things after their favorite films in the series.

#349 JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:08 PM

I think I'd prefer someone who isn't a Bond fan, to be honest.  It would be nice to just get a great director who can come in and direct the script that has been written, rather than having a fan of the franchise who wants to stuff the films with nods and winks to the past and try to style things after their favorite films in the series.

They need someone who at least respects the franchise, so they don't avoid a lot of the things that make it Bond.

#350 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

They're going to get that regardless, because a director that doesn't have any form of respect for the Bond franchise is most likely not going to sign up to direct one.  That said, I don't think that's necessarily a requirement either.  Assuming that they don't take a page from Fleming's The Spy Who Loved Me and craft a story that is features a character other than Bond as the main character, then they'll have the only real requirement in place to make a Bond film a "Bond film", which would be the Bond character.

#351 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:53 PM

Irrespective of who the director turns out to be, I think we can take cheer from that fact that John Logan - who has a clear respect and passion for the Bond franchise - is writing the script. That's the first hurdle overcome.

#352 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:14 PM

They're going to get that regardless, because a director that doesn't have any form of respect for the Bond franchise is most likely not going to sign up to direct one.

Well, we have had someone who was indifferent and ignorant about Bond, and only signed up because of the presence of Daniel Craig - Marc Forster.

#353 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:21 PM

They're going to get that regardless, because a director that doesn't have any form of respect for the Bond franchise is most likely not going to sign up to direct one.

Well, we have had someone who was indifferent and ignorant about Bond, and only signed up because of the presence of Daniel Craig - Marc Forster.

True, but it's more likely this time around that they'll get someone who respects the series since there has to be several compelling reasons for the next director to take the job.  I seriously doubt that a lot of the so-called acclaimed directors are going to line up to follow up the financial behemoth of Skyfall just for the opportunity to work with Daniel Craig.  He's a great actor, yes, but there would have to be other reasons to sign up for a job that is almost certainly going to end with the director getting a lot of criticism because Bond 24 isn't Skyfall.

#354 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:31 PM

Agreed.

But maybe, in the next months (or years) SKYFALL will not be regarded anymore as the best Bond ever and the unavoidable backlash will take care of the rest. If BOND 24 will manage to be more light hearted, fun and less weighty - maybe people will react very well to that. So the next director might probably see this as his or her chance to be even more successful.

#355 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:40 PM

Agreed.

But maybe, in the next months (or years) SKYFALL will not be regarded anymore as the best Bond ever and the unavoidable backlash will take care of the rest. If BOND 24 will manage to be more light hearted, fun and less weighty - maybe people will react very well to that. So the next director might probably see this as his or her chance to be even more successful.

That may be end up being true in fan circles, as at least the sentiment that was going around that those of us who don't like Skyfall are "haters" or aren't particularly intelligent is starting to fade away, but ultimately I doubt that it'll really come to that point.  

It'll never be true in the media, which is what EON cares about, as they control their Oscar fate.  The media storyline for Bond 24 has already been written, it's just a matter of watching it play out at this point.  The next director they hire won't be, in the media's eyes, up to Mendes' standard.  The film, no matter how good it might possibly end up being, won't measure up to the "genius" of Skyfall, even though we're finally getting a story that is actually crafted by a competent writer for the first time in who knows how many years.  I think everybody knows that the media is going to tear this film to pieces, and I can't see a director that isn't an almost complete unknown, wanting to take that challenge on. 

#356 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:53 PM

That could very well become true.

But since the media can forget pretty quickly and BOND 24 is at least two more years away, it could also turn out that the critics love BOND 24 and turn against SKYFALL ("in retrospect, a too bleak and tired film despite its wonderful cinematography...").

In the end, it´s all about the zeitgeist. And I believe that more escapist fare is on the upswing again. The times of dark introspection seem to end.

#357 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

We also have to consider how much of a media darling the next director is. Should Eon choose somebody whom the media decided is just on his way up, then BOND 24 could just as well turn out as this guy's personal masterpiece. While the usual suspects of the blockbuster set may run the risk somebody decided it was time to cut them down to size. 

#358 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:59 PM

"James Bond 24 News Update: Could Tom Hooper Direct The Next Film? Critic Barry Norman Thinks He is Best For The Job

Legendary Film Critic Barry Norman revealed that he wants Tom Hooper to direct the next James Bond film.
The 79 year old critic revealed in an exclusive interview with Metro he was not a big fan Guy Ritchie and thought Hooper was the best to direct the film. Norman said, 'He might confound me. He's good on the action stuff. It's the rest of the stuff, which is just as important. This is where [Sam] Mendes got it right. He got the characters right as well as the action and that's very important.'

The British critic continued 'I'm sorry Sam's not going to do the next one because he did a really good job on Skyfall."
He added that he wants a British director for the film. He stated, "I would hope it will be a British director because, let's face it, Bond is British. He's one of us and I think he needs a director who understands the Britishness of the character, more than most American directors will be able to understand it.'

Norman added; 'I don't know, I mean Tom Hooper might do it. That would be very interesting.' Norman concluded that he believed actor Daniel Craig was robbed of an Oscar nomination.  He said, "Sam did a hell of a job. I would think that Craig was good enough to get an Oscar nomination."
Ritchie emerged as the front-runner to direct the film according to bookmakers. Other contenders that have emerged include Joe Wright, Christopher Nolan, Ryan Wyatt, and Kathryn Bigelow.
Mendes exited the series after his successful "Skyfall" due to his stage projects. He also admitted that the thought of directing another Bond film made him "physically ill."
James Bond 24 is currently in pre-production with Daniel Craig slated to return as Bond. John Logan is currently writing the new script."

#359 carddoug

carddoug

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:50 PM

How about the Cohen bros.? Or just one of them lol

#360 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew