This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Deadline hints at new Mendes involvement for BOND 24

Empire: Its not Sam Mendes

404 replies to this topic

Poll: Who should direct Bond 24?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Generally

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Specifically - for those who have already directed a Bond film

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Specifically - for those who haven't already directed a Bond film - multiple choices

Vote Guests cannot vote

#271 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

Of the bolded choices on the list above, I could easily support Fincher, Bigelow, or Forster.  I'd be very happy to see a Bond film directed by any of those three

I couldn't, however, support the idea of Favreau directing a Bond film.  His resume is littered with substandard fare, with only the first Iron Man being something to brag about.

#272 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:34 PM

I've got a soft spot for Favreau, must be from his work in the 90s sitcom Friends. Haha

#273 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:03 PM

Of the bolded choices on the list above, I could easily support Fincher, Bigelow, or Forster.  I'd be very happy to see a Bond film directed by any of those three

I couldn't, however, support the idea of Favreau directing a Bond film.  His resume is littered with substandard fare, with only the first Iron Man being something to brag about.

Scratch out Forster, and I'm right there with you.

#274 TheSilhouette

TheSilhouette

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:04 PM

Unfortunately, Hooper may be out too with the Freddy Mercury biopic.

#275 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:53 PM

Give Forster another crack at it is what I say.

#276 TheSilhouette

TheSilhouette

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:53 AM

Give Forster another crack at it is what I say.

I like Forster and I think he's a good director (coming from someone who believes Quantum of Solace is far better than people give it credit for), but it seems like he struggles with large projects and big budgets where he's on somewhat of a rushed timeline and working under high pressure. I just don't think he's right for Bond, and that was pretty evident to me in Quantum of Solace, yes there was the writer's strike, but when you hear him talk about his vision for the film, it's something that could work for another action thriller, it just wasn't right for Bond. There are now also reports that he's been struggling mightily with World War Z,  and the frantic pacing and editing that plagued Quantum of Solace is still there. Plus with the amount of talent still available, I think both parties would be better off going in a different direction.

Edited by TheSilhouette, 01 April 2013 - 12:58 AM.

#277 Eric Stromberg

Eric Stromberg

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:02 AM

Good thoughts, Silhouette.  From what I've read I think you are right about Forster and the big projects.  Seems you have to give a big chunk of yourself and your time to make these Bond movies and he may not be the best fit for that.  I for one would like to see what he would do with a better script.  I loved the artistic details he chose to put into the film.  He seems better with the subtle details.  That really seemed to be his strength in QoS, which I happen to like.

#278 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:10 AM

I'm definitely interested in seeing how WWZ turns out, but I do like what I heard from him during a recent press event for the film. He's a very smart man. I have to agree, though, that his comfort level is more closely linked to smaller budgets than what he has taken on in recent years.

#279 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:23 AM

He's better for smaller budgeted film.

#280 Sir Godfrey

Sir Godfrey

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

http://www.rtl.fr/ac...bond-7760015870

Martin Scorsese will be the next director of Bond 24. Roselyne Bachlot, an ex minister in France will be the James Bond Girl.
The news comes from RTL the first radio in France...

#281 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:51 AM

Quite honestly, I can't take that article seriously.  With the current trend in the series in terms of the types of women they hire for the Bond girls (i.e. young, up and coming actresses), there's no way that they're going to go in the complete opposite direction and hire a politician with no acting experience to headline the next film in a series that just saw a film earn $1 billion at the worldwide box office.

As for Scorsese, he's far too busy for Bond at the moment, especially if pre-production on Bond is slated to begin sometime during 2014.  He currently has several projects in various stages of production, according to IMDb:  The Third Side of the River (executive producer - post-production); Malavita (executive producer; post-production), The Wolf of Wall Street (producer/director; post-production), Life Itself (executive producer; filming), Revenge of the Green Dragons (executive producer; pre-production), Tomorrow (executive producer; pre-production), Untitled Bill Clinton Documentary (director; filming), Silence (director; pre-production), and Sinatra (producer/director; announced).

#282 Sir Godfrey

Sir Godfrey

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

Yes, it is very strange. But she could be an excellent vilain... Bachelot, chief of Quantum... :)

#283 Sir Godfrey

Sir Godfrey

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

Well... I'm sorry but it was a fake...
http://www.rtl.fr/ac...main-7760019888

This kind of joke is called a "poisson d'avril". http://en.wikipedia....pril_Fools'_Day

Have a good day ! :P

#284 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

Of course.  I forgot that today was 4/1.  I guess we can expect many more such articles in the press today.

#285 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

I was about to say "Have you gents checked the date?".

#286 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

Yeah, I realized that a few minutes after reading the article.  I really don't pay any attention to this idiotic date on the calendar, so the first one usually gets me every year as I'm not really looking out for it. 

#287 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:43 PM

Hahaha if only!

Goodfellas is my favourite film ever, i'd give my left leg for Scorsese to direct Bond 24. I want Bigelow to do it.

#288 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

Scorcese hasn't made a decent film since BRINING OUT THE DEAD.

#289 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

I thought I would just expanded on my reasoning for Jon Favreau;

even though Iron Man, Cowboys and Aliens and Iron Man 2 maybe sub pair films, how much of that can be blamed on Jon Favreau, how much control did Marvel have over him? I don't mind his films, I wouldn't want him to give himself a cameo in Bond 24 but whoever EON chooses to direct Bond 24 will probably be loosing a certain level of creative control. They already have John Logan writing the script and a production designer, I'm guessing its a good chance that David Arnold or Thomas Newman will return to compose and if they have their way Adele will sing the theme song again.

Jon Favreau seems like someone who could put up with sacrificing some creative control and work well with others, it helps that he has already worked with DC. I haven't heard any thing about him going over budget like David Fincher did with The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. To be fair most of his films are for children rather then adults and I think that should be taken into account. Anyways I think its just my personality that favors Jon Favreau, where as Sam Mendes I just want to punch in the face. 

#290 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

Anyways I think its just my personality that favors Jon Favreau, where as Sam Mendes I just want to punch in the face.

Personally I find Mendes more likeable and is a wittier bloke than Favreau, although oddly, I don't want to punch either in the face...

#291 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

Even then, Iron Man isn't that good (it's still damn entertaining). There are some directors who really shouldn't go anywhere near a Bond film, even if they tick certain generic boxes like 'action' and 'humour' and 'casting' (or 'worked with Daniel Craig before'). I hope EON never even contemplated putting him on their list.

#292 graric

graric

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:16 AM

I would say that The Departed and Hugo are certainly better than decent and his Dylan documentary is one of the best music docos out there (and even though it says more about the Academy, The Departed is still the only film he has won a best director Oscar for.)

As for Jon Favreau, I can't see him being a particularly strong choice for Bond 24. The strength of Iron Man seems to have come from having the freedom to allowing the cast to improvise (especially RDJ), most of the cast has talked about how it felt more like working on an Independent film than working on a blockbuster. He also doesn't seem like the type of director that works well when dealing with pressure and expectation (no one expected Iron Man to be especially big when it was being made, but when he suddenly had to try topping its success with Iron Man 2, the results weren't nearly as strong.) The pressure will be on for him to not only deliver a film that is capable of being seen as on the same level as Skyfall by the audience, but also to prove himself as a director capable of replacing Sam Mendes (neither of which he has proved himself capable of thus far.)

Edited by graric, 02 April 2013 - 11:16 AM.

#293 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

I beg to differ.

#294 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

I would say that The Departed and Hugo are certainly better than decent

Both are awful, especially HUGO. How that managed to gain such critical praise is beyond me.

#295 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

Scorsese has reached a point where critics just adore him.

IMO, he is one of the most overrated directors ever. Technically, he is brilliant, of course. But he needs a really good story to excel. Too often, he does not have one.

#296 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

An outrageous statement! The Departed is a quality film, even if it is a remake of Infernal Affairs. 

Anyway, he definitely won't be doing Bond 24. They'll be going for another British director, I think. 

#297 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:41 PM

Scorsese's fan base makes him overrated. Bringing Out The Dead isn't too great. The last great film he made was The Aviator.

#298 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

The great film he made was The Aviator.

:blink:

I'll stick to WHO'S THAT KNOCKING AT MY DOOR, MEAN STREETS, TAXI DRIVER and THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST.

#299 JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

The great film he made was The Aviator.

:blink:

I'll stick to WHO'S THAT KNOCKING AT MY DOOR, MEAN STREETS, TAXI DRIVER and THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST.

Strangely some people are capable of liking many films.

Edited by JohnnyWalker, 02 April 2013 - 07:51 PM.

#300 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:18 PM

I found SHUTTER ISLAND quite entertaining. Not a masterwork by any stretch, no. But surprisingly bizarre and surrealistic. It's a bit much of everything, too cool cops, too villainous psycho doctors, too crazy crazies, too creepy hallucinations, yet at the end all the pieces of the puzzle nicely fall into place. Liked it a lot.