This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

SPECTRE Title Song: "Writing's on the Wall" by Sam Smith - POLL

1942 replies to this topic

Poll: Writing's on the Wall

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Having now thought about it / listened to it a few times

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

My most favouritest Craig Bond theme is

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

My most least favouritest Craig Bond theme is

He said it was a "grower". He was right. It grows like...

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1771 mattjoes

mattjoes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 05:36 PM

I'm still not crazy about Smith's voice, but I really like the theme he and Napes composed. I like this song better than the last two. Skyfall was appropriately Bond-like, but a bit dull nonetheless. Another Way to Die was terribly dull.

I wish Newman had quoted Writing's on the Wall a few more times in the film.

Edited by mattjoes, 01 December 2015 - 05:38 PM.

#1772 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:08 PM

Sean Grady has done an excellent job of editing Lana Del Rey's "24" to fit the title sequence.

It's a massive improvement.

Indeed. That was actually stellar.

#1773 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:10 PM

Kleinman's titles would have been vastly different if that had been the song.

Don't care for the song anyway - WotW's better left as it is.

#1774 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:55 AM

I would've liked that. It's use in the train sequence was shortened from what we hear in the soundtrack, too. 

#1775 mattjoes

mattjoes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:29 PM

I would've liked that. It's use in the train sequence was shortened from what we hear in the soundtrack, too. 

Not to mention that, sadly, the actual version of the theme heard in the train sequence is missing from the album. While the instrumental they included is quite similar, there are some slight differences. For instance, in the album version, the opening phrase is played on violins doubled by trumpets playing an octave below, whereas in the film version there are no trumpets in that moment, which lends the piece a more intimate and romantic sound. (Yep, I've watched Spectre more times than I care to count.)

In other scenes, Newman could've played with the theme a bit more, a la Bond Meets Stacey. It's a gorgeous, long-lined melody and suitable for a rearrangement.

Edited by mattjoes, 02 December 2015 - 09:32 PM.

#1776 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:05 AM

Not to mention that, sadly, the actual version of the theme heard in the train sequence is missing from the album. While the instrumental they included is quite similar, there are some slight differences. For instance, in the album version, the opening phrase is played on violins doubled by trumpets playing an octave below, whereas in the film version there are no trumpets in that moment, which lends the piece a more intimate and romantic sound. (Yep, I've watched Spectre more times than I care to count.)

In other scenes, Newman could've played with the theme a bit more, a la Bond Meets Stacey. It's a gorgeous, long-lined melody and suitable for a rearrangement.

I know I'm not alone here when I say that Thomas Newman would not recognize a melody even if it landed on his head.

#1777 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 05:38 AM

Thankfully, Thomas Newman composes melodies within his head.  And beautiful melodies they are.

#1778 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:13 AM

Well maybe next time he will include them in the score. No, scratch that, he'll probably cut and paste from SF and SP soundtracks some more.

Edited by dtuba, 05 December 2015 - 03:13 AM.

#1779 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:13 AM

Think positive!

#1780 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 10:29 PM

I watched him singing it live on the Graham Norton show and it sounded really good.

#1781 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 01:36 PM

A Golden Globe nomination, no less...

Congratulations to them. Not my cup of tea, but a big success nevertheless.

#1782 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 10 December 2015 - 02:09 PM

Sean Grady has done an excellent job of editing Lana Del Rey's "24" to fit the title sequence.

It's a massive improvement.

Indeed. That was actually stellar.

Hmm. Certainly a name for the next Bond theme, although the song sounded to my tin ear more like one of those themes from the 1960s Bond imitators than a Bond theme itself. But that's just me.

BTW - there is of course a plot spoiler in the titles.

#1783 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 02:17 PM

Certainly a name for the next Bond theme, although the song sounded to my tin ear more like one of those themes from the 1960s Bond imitators than a Bond theme itself. But that's just me.

It's not just you, but I'd still take it over the Sam Smith dirge.

#1784 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 02:48 PM

In terms of marketing value - and it looks as if the song is now more a marketing tool than actual element of the film - the decision to give the gig to Smith was probably very effective. It created a huge buzz, some serious controversy and his fanbase pushed the song to the top in record time. Even the song itself has a certain je ne sais quoi; a catchy melody. One would just wish for a different voice and more of a climax, then it would go down much smoother. But I still think the titles themselves are the real letdown here. I knew what the song was like when I went to the theatre; but I wasn't prepared for the Cthulhu show and the somewhat lacklustre imagery. I'm probably spoiled by the other great titles of the Craig era.

#1785 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 10 December 2015 - 02:57 PM

In terms of marketing value - and it looks as if the song is now more a marketing tool than actual element of the film - the decision to give the gig to Smith was probably very effective. It created a huge buzz, some serious controversy and his fanbase pushed the song to the top in record time. Even the song itself has a certain je ne said quoi; a catchy melody. One would just wish for a different voice and more of a climax, then it would go down much smoother. But I still think the titles themselves are the real letdown here. I knew what the song was like when I went to the theatre; but I wasn't prepared for the Cthulhu show and the somewhat lacklustre imagery. I'm probably spoiled by the other great titles of the Craig era.

I think I'm with you on the song Dustin, although I quite liked the titles - though they overdid the octopus imagery a bit!

#1786 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 03:24 PM

I don't know, those titles have a definite horror vibe to them, much like parts of the film. Perhaps I would want them to go the whole distance, to not hold back. The film itself does a similar trick in that it doesn't follow its horror elements through. At any rate I have trouble getting the titles and the song together, both seem to belong to different films.

And that octopus appears more in the titles than anywhere else in the story. I know it's supposed to be allegorical but these titles seem to suffer from To Kill A Mockingbird syndrome; there are simply too few octopi in the film to justify this animal with the eight helpful tentacles so prominently in the titles...

#1787 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 04:17 PM

Although I liked the song a lot the Golden Globe nomination made me chuckle.   

Then again, the Globes always amuse me.   THE MARTIAN as a musical/comedy...  

Best thing about the Globes: they asked Ricky Gervais back.

#1788 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 04:22 PM

I'm not a fan of the song, but seeing it with the title sequence did make it grow on me. Having said that, I don't think it's GG worthy! Although, nice for the franchise to get a little attention!

#1789 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 04:46 PM

GG worthy... um...  you know what the "Hollywood Press Association" is, right?  They are basically people who throw a party for stars every year and nominate those who will get the most press and are most likely to attend.

#1790 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:47 PM

I appreciate that - but I don't think 'Writing's on the Wall' is worthy of it.

#1791 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:56 PM

Well, they just want to get Sam Smith to the show.  Also, it´s pretty hard to find enough film songs to nominate.

Again, I do like the song.

#1792 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 11:23 AM

I honestly don't get why so many people make so much fuss about Golden Globes and Academy Awars.

#1793 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:44 PM

it´s pretty hard to find enough film songs to nominate.

I was thinking about this the other day, film theme songs really are a dying breed, musicals have been a niche genre since the 60's and after a glut of them in the early noughties (Hero by Nickleback for Spider-man swings to mind), singers and bands doing theme tunes for films seems to have almost died out. 

#1794 antovolk

antovolk

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 406 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:29 PM

Merry Christmas from Radiohead:

https://soundcloud.c...diohead/spectre

(completely legit btw. Yorke tweeted it out today)

#1795 Toxteth_OGrady

Toxteth_OGrady

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:35 PM

Just listened to this via Radiohead's Facebook page.

Wonder what the story is here. Was their theme rejected by the producers? Sam Smith 2nd choice?

Merry Christmas everyone BTW!

#1796 antovolk

antovolk

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 406 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 01:10 PM

Set to the title sequence:

#1797 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 01:51 PM

Those rumors were true too! Wow.

Amazingly I prefer Smith's effort, but still, this is a very cool development.

#1798 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 01:55 PM

Interesting. Still lacks a bit of a definite climax - might that have been a condition voiced by Eon? - but overall I think Thom Yorke's vocals better fit the eerie nature of the tune. Still no big fan of the titles but with this I like them a little better. No ear worm quality though.

#1799 antovolk

antovolk

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 406 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 02:01 PM

Also, I wonder if they read the script.....what I like about WOTW is how it really is written for not just any film called SPECTRE or whatever but this particular one. While from first listen to Radiohead's....they came up with something just around the title. Which tbh is alright given a lot of previous Bond songs did that.

Big thing to keep in mind - it seems like they finished the track in their own time after being rejected -  Yorke says in the tweets/description it "became something of [their] own". If EON went through with it I wonder how different it would've sounded compared to this effort

Edited by antovolk, 25 December 2015 - 02:03 PM.

#1800 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 04:33 PM

The Radiohead theme is off time and off the mark. Just...no.