No one loves Bond more than I do

Oh yes they do.

#122 Morgan

Morgan

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:30 PM

Re: That said, CR and QOS were hardly that realistic. Bond's crane and art gallery stunts (especially the way he lands and contorts his body) would be impossible in real life without breaking bones and tearing muscles, or not to forget Bond and Camille unharmed after opening their parachute only a few seconds before hitting the ground (AKA Skydivegate, second only to Mathisgate when it comes QOS's controversial scenes).

Stunts done in CR and QOS are far more realistic in that you at least see what happens. Falling 100's of feet after being shot and sinking below the surface with no explaination afterwards on how he survived! Come on man!

#123 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:32 PM

why are people complaining how Bond survive that fall? it a movie? it does not need to be realistic just enjoy it and stop pointing every small problem........argh!

#124 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:44 PM

Stunts done in CR and QOS are far more realistic in that you at least see what happens. Falling 100's of feet after being shot and sinking below the surface with no explaination afterwards on how he survived! Come on man!

As opposed to Bond and Camille falling for thousands of feet onto sandstone, with no explanation afterwards on how they survived?

#125 Morgan

Morgan

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:44 PM

why are people complaining how Bond survive that fall? it a movie? it does not need to be realistic just enjoy it and stop pointing every small problem........argh!

because the whole point of rebooting the series was to bring Bond back down to earth and close to Flemings original concept. No more invisible cars and space lasers.

#126 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

because the whole point of rebooting the series was to bring Bond back down to earth and close to Flemings original concept. No more invisible cars and space lasers.

Have you ever read Fleming? In DR. NO, Bond falls 100ft (or more) into a sea-inlet by a cliff, is knocked unconscious, then wakes up to battle a giant squid.

#127 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:21 AM

What usually signifies a good movie for me is if I am constantly thinking about it upon first viewing. And I've hardly stopped thinking about SF since I finished it nearly 2 hours ago. I couldn't wait to jump on here to see what others thought as I've tried to stay spoiler-free for the most part.

Strangely, I think I will have to see it at least once more to get a better bearing on it to form a better all-around impression and ranking. Upon first impression, it doesn't overtake something like CR, which really hit home after the 4-year gap, at least for now, and maybe all the reviews saying it may be the best Bond film yet were setting me up for higher expectations.

That said, SF has more layers and plays by the numbers less than any other Bond film, which makes it that much more intriguing and builds the anticipation to want to see it again.

I will say it is by far the best directed film of the series, and contains some of the best cinematography and quite possibly the best cast.

#128 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:24 AM

It definitely took me a second viewing to really get a grasp on it, and how I felt about it.

That said, SF has more layers and plays by the numbers less than any other Bond film, which makes it that much more intriguing and builds the anticipation to want to see it again.

I disagree, I actually think it plays more by the rules than the other two Craig films. The only difference is Skyfall puts a unique spin on all the familiar tropes that they feel unique and fresh.

#129 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:50 AM

I was surprised how fast paced it seemed, I was still thinking about the last scene when the next one was over. I can't wait to see it again, although I'll wait until the DVD release probably. I'm not overly a Craig fan but with this film I didn't mind him so much. I was impressed with the dialog and surprised by some of the stunts, will need to watch this a few times because if you look down at your popcorn or even blink you could miss something.

Their are a few TWINE moments sure but I really enjoyed them, there aren't as many throwbacks or homages as I was expecting but when they did one it was pleasing. I'm not a fan of the line Q says about exploding pens, I mean why not an acid ear piece pen?.. I joke. I remember thinking the title sequence kind of looked like the graphics your computer plays when your listening to music but and at the same time a homage of the best of all the other title sequences. I was never overly a Mendes fan but I am now, I think he, Roger Deakins, the writers and Thomas Newman all deserve top marks.

I was almost looking for something dumb in the film but couldn't really find anything perhaps I was just overjoyed to finally being seeing it but after seeing this film all I want to know is when can I own it? Come on DVD.

#130 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:06 AM

The last two films were both released in November, and both came out on DVD in March. I'm sure that's when we can expect Skyfall to hit DVD/Bluray.

#131 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:14 AM

Then you should be happy. There were no invisible cars and no space lasers.

Edited by 00Hockey Mask, 11 November 2012 - 05:15 AM.

#132 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:18 AM

There could have been invisible cars. We wouldn't have known cause they were invisible.

#133 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:42 AM

There is no problem with Bond surviving that fall........how about how sherlock Holmes survive his fall? pretty much the same thing

#134 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:43 AM

I wouldn't have minded some lasers in SF. :) I don't think its a big deal Bond lived after that fall, its very unlikely but it could happen and I'm fine that they didn't explain how he got out of the water, it helped move the film along better probably anyway.

#135 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

There is no problem with Bond surviving that fall........how about how sherlock Holmes survive his fall? pretty much the same thing

But Holmes didn't fall into the abyss!

#136 jsteed

jsteed

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:30 AM

After watching Skyfall for the first time, I really was blown away at how great the movie is. I really think that the cinematography of the movie is the best in the series. The precredit scene is my favorite from the Craig films and the Shanghai scenes were really amazing. The acting was top notch, especially Craig and Bardem. Loved the Silva entrance and thought he was an impressive Bond villain. Probably in my top five Bond films right know. In regards to the believability of Bond surviving the fall, it is no different from previous Bond films. In real life he would of died, but SF is a movie and the previous two Craig films have had similar scenes.

#137 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:52 AM

Top notch direction, cinematography, editing, acting, music, plot, writing. One of the best Bond movies ever. I agree that the precredits AND the credit sequence is my favorite of Craig's Bond films.

When do we get to start posting spoilers? What's the date???

#138 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:56 AM

I think December is a nice time to expire that rule here. Until then, there are a few territories that haven't seen the film. Plus, we do have the spoiler section, where you can talk as openly about the film as you'd like :)

#139 jamie00007

jamie00007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:04 AM

Yes, the first of December will be about a week after it opens in the last territories, unless there's any Japanese on here. A good date. Everyone will have had the chance to see it by then.

#140 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:57 AM

I think December is a nice time to expire that rule here. Until then, there are a few territories that haven't seen the film. Plus, we do have the spoiler section, where you can talk as openly about the film as you'd like :)

Thanks for the info!

#141 Darth J

Darth J

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:30 PM

I found a review that I wanted to share. I have only been a fan of a few of the Bond films, and really didn't care for Quantum of Solace. I was looking for reviews to see what the general consensus was about the film, and I found a great non-spoiler review that really goes into depth on the good and the bad of the film. After listening to it, I think I probably will end up going to see this one, even though one of the reviewers didn't particularly care for it. This is an audio review, so I'll just link you guys to the mp3 file.

#142 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

I really enjoyed this movie, felt like we got to finally see a modern Ian Fleming Bond story on film (Think Bond in Dr. No, Thunderball, From Russia With Love novels). IMO this was the best cast ever in a Bond film and i hope Sam Mendes gets a shot at directing another one. Definitely seeing this again.

#143 Armand Fancypants

Armand Fancypants

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

Fantastic Bond film. Easily the best I've seen in theatres. It has the exuberance that CR wants for at times, and it almost embodies the indefatigable nature of its central character. And although I was a fan of his CR (and QOS) work, I now am fully on board with Craig.

And yet, I don't want Mendes or Deakins to do another. I want this one to be unique. Let someone else have a crack, but someone of the same calibre. Also... the Nolan comparisons are overstated. This still resembles a Sam Mendes film more than a Christopher Nolan film, for my money. Especially the window motif, which is a favourite of Mendes'

#144 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

And yet, I don't want Mendes or Deakins to do another. I want this one to be unique. Let someone else have a crack, but someone of the same calibre. Also... the Nolan comparisons are overstated. This still resembles a Sam Mendes film more than a Christopher Nolan film, for my money. Especially the window motif, which is a favourite of Mendes'

It's looking more and more likely that Mendes will return, but Deakins has already said he won't do another Bond film.

#145 QOS4EVER

QOS4EVER

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 368 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

but Deakins has already said he won't do another Bond film.

Are you sure about that ? Don't recall reading that anywhere

#146 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

It's looking more and more likely that Mendes will return, but Deakins has already said he won't do another Bond film.

He did not know that Mendes would be at the helm again, I presume. And his agent probably told him to say it, too...