33 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 29 June 2001 - 12:40 AM

Does anybody else think that Lazenby should have got the chance to do a second James Bond movie. Personally I think he should have but has luck would have they got Connery back who was better and then Moore who also done a good performance as Bond. But I think Lazenby done a good enough performance to be kept on and become a very popular Bond actor.

#2 M.

M.

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 August 2001 - 12:29 PM

I rate OHMSS quite high in the Bond series, also maybe because they stayed quite close to the Fleming story. I must say though that if OHMSS would have been with Connery it would have been much more succesfull. Also, something like Blofeld not recognizing Bond (from YOLT) would not have been possible. Now, because Bond was played by another actor, not so many people saw this "mistake".
I think that he could have grown into the role. But he would never have topped Connery or Brosnan.

#3 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 29 June 2001 - 01:49 AM

I've seen an interview with Lazenby where he states that it was his decision not to return as James Bond. He postponed signing his contract and was told by someone (I can't recall who) that James Bond films and that sort of style would soon be no longer popular in the cinema and hence damange his career.

#4 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 29 June 2001 - 06:11 PM

That's right Blue Eyes. It was Lazenby's decision and the reason he gave was that Bond was out of date. How wrong did he prove to be.

#5 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 04:08 PM

M. (31 Aug, 2001 01:29 p.m.):
I must say though that if OHMSS would have been with Connery it would have been much more succesfull.

I wish people would quit with this line. Perhaps it would have been more successful financially, but as a film it would have been a whole lot worse.
People seem to (conveniently) forget that by this time, Connery was thoroughly hacked off with the whole series. Certainly by YOLT, he was just trundling through the paces and if he had gone straight on to OHMSS, it would have been difficult to see whether he had actually woken up for that morning's filming.
Lazenby offered a sense of urgency, confidence and athleticism that would never have been apparent if Connery had done that film. Certainly DAF did not have any of that either, and that was with a longer break and a killer deal as an incentive.
OHMSS benefitted from Lazenby, so I say thank God he did do it and not Connery. I would also say that DAF would have benefitted from Lazenby having another crack at it, but that is another speculation that leaves me weary at this time.

#6 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 04:11 PM

M. (31 Aug, 2001 01:29 p.m.):
I must say though that if OHMSS would have been with Connery it would have been much more succesfull.

I wish people would quit with this line. Perhaps it would have been more successful financially, but as a film it would have been a whole lot worse.
People seem to (conveniently) forget that by this time, Connery was thoroughly hacked off with the whole series. Certainly by YOLT, he was just trundling through the paces and if he had gone straight on to OHMSS, it would have been difficult to see whether he had actually woken up for that morning's filming.
Lazenby offered a sense of urgency, confidence and athleticism that would never have been apparent if Connery had done that film. Certainly DAF did not have any of that either, and that was with a longer break and a killer deal as an incentive.
OHMSS benefitted from Lazenby, so I say thank God he did do it and not Connery. I would also say that DAF would have benefitted from Lazenby having another crack at it, but that is another speculation that leaves me weary at this time.

#7 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 14 September 2001 - 12:42 AM

To be quite honest, if it wasn't for a great script OHMSS would have been an utter disaster.
I don't think DAF was all that 'crash hot' even with Connery in it, but just picture in your mind George in DAF instead, with his inexperience.

Wasn't he in a 70's aussie kung-fu action spy flick called 'The Man From Hong Kong'? It was directed by Brian Trenchard-Smith who, at the time, was touted as the next big action director.
A few years ago Newton remade the title song Sky High (originally done by British Jigsaw in the movie).
Boy, this dates me!

#8 Vargas

Vargas

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 September 2001 - 02:08 PM

I think Lazenby also wrote himself off in his own mind. Not just his friend of agent or whoever advising him that, in an age of flower power, Bond was dead and had had his time.
He's said since in TV interviews that he thought it was 'Connery's gig' as he put it.
But he also didn't do himself any favours prior to filming. He openly admitted, in a press interview I think, that he was in it for 'the broads and the bread' and this comment wasn't popular with EON.

And I agree that OHMSS would have been a different film with Connery. EON might not have even made OHMSS the next film. Connery's 'slap & tickle' approach would have had to change to convince the audience that he was in love with Tracy. And this change may have also made the film unpopular with audiences who were amused by Connery's cool 'cavalier attitude' toward the ladies. A lot of Bond audiences weren't(and still arn't) familiar with Fleming's novels.

I also agree DAF should have had more revenge lines in it either pre-credit or later. He (well Irma) had murdered his new wife and Connery never even shows any kind of thought or emotion in this area.

But Lazenby's Bond still reflects the classic Bond labido. He sleeps with Tracy near the begining of the film as 'payment of a debt' then later hops in with Ruby, but just to gain info about Blofeld's plans?

Lazenby had big shoes to fill and any actor new to the role, then or now has to start half way or near the top of the Bond ladder. Connery had the advantage of not having anyone to be compared to and he built on that.
The next man will be compared to Brosnan in just the same way. Who knows, if messrs Butler or Crowe or Sewell or whoever mess it up, Brosnan may be asked to come back in just the same way. To save the world one more time...

#9 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 15 September 2001 - 12:40 AM

< < < Deleted by author > > >

#10 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 29 June 2001 - 06:34 PM

I didn't actually know that this was the case.
It must have been the biggest mistake he's ever made in his acting career.

#11 Aston-Martin

Aston-Martin

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 November 2001 - 03:54 AM

I think that OHMSS was a vastly underrated film. Lazenby was a fine Bond and I like the idea that Bond had a wife (although for a very brief amount of time).

I think Lazenby would have done well in another Bond flick if he chose to do so, too.

#12 Friedrich Baxter

Friedrich Baxter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 426 posts

Posted 06 November 2001 - 12:23 PM

May I remind you that it was George Lazenby's own mistake that he didn't play James Bond again. In an interview of a Bond documentary he said that he was very stupid not to sign a 7 year contract and that he had asked TOO much from the producers. As a result people on the set began to dislike him, because he always disagreed with the producers. George Lazenby admitted that he was TOO stubburn.

But, nevertheless, if he SIGNED the contract, he would certainly become a very respectable James Bond till the beginning of the eighties

Did you also know that after Sean Connery in YOLT there were more people on the run to become James Bond? There was also a certain Hans de Vries. Hans de Vries (a Dutch actor) and George Lazenby and two other actors were the favorites of Saltzman and Broccoli, but de Vries turned the role down.

#13 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 29 June 2001 - 06:34 PM

Blue Eyes (29 Jun, 2001 02:49 a.m.):
I've seen an interview with Lazenby where he states that it was his decision not to return as James Bond. He postponed signing his contract and was told by someone (I can't recall who) that James Bond films and that sort of style would soon be no longer popular in the cinema and hence damange his career.

Damage his career? He hadn't done any films (or what I know, and acting) only a couple of adverts. There wasn't really a career to ruin.

#14 remy

remy

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 December 2001 - 05:02 AM

I think it was fate that OHMSS turned out the way it did. Arguably the most successful Bond film in terms of its own genre, style, pacing and music. And the ultimate in irony that it stars neither Connery or Moore.

#15 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 29 June 2001 - 06:41 PM

Damage his career? He hadn't done any films (or what I know, and acting) only a couple of adverts. There wasn't really a career to ruin.[/quote]I can't help but think that Lazenby might have got a decent career going if he stuck with the role and may have even got more respect off James Bond fans who did not like his performance in OHMSS.

#16 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 29 June 2001 - 06:46 PM

He should have done at least one more film. Fans that didn't like OHMSS because of Lazenby can't really say that, as you can't judge his performance really on one film - especially his first. He was new to the character, and was finding his feet in the role.

I think that OHMSS was a great film! In fact, I'm going to watch it later tonight :)

#17 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 29 June 2001 - 07:06 PM

Dave (29 Jun, 2001 07:46 p.m.):
He should have done at least one more film. Fans that didn't like OHMSS because of Lazenby can't really say that, as you can't judge his performance really on one film - especially his first. He was new to the character, and was finding his feet in the role.

I think that OHMSS was a great film! In fact, I'm going to watch it later tonight :)

I have been thinking about watching it myself tonight or DAF, either way I'm watching a Bond movie.

#18 JAWS

JAWS

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 01 February 2002 - 08:14 AM

OHMSS could only have been better if Lazenby had been an actor, not a model. Also, if it had had a more experienced director (sure, Hunt's direction was okay, but it was his first film as director). I also really dislike Kojak Stavro Blofeld. And Bond's clothes! ugh. (the clothes probably wern't Lazenby's fault though).

#19 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 02 February 2002 - 12:18 PM

Sure, Lazenby would have been better with more acting experience, but I can't fault Hunt's direction. I believe he got as good a performance from George as he was capable of giving. I think it's a creditable portrayal, all in all.
Hunt's work is, for my money, top notch. I'd love to have seen him direct Moore in one of his Bond films. He got a great hard-edged performance from him in "Gold".

#20 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 02 February 2002 - 12:23 PM

JAWS (01 Feb, 2002 08:14 a.m.):
And Bond's clothes! ugh.  (the clothes probably wern't Lazenby's fault though).

They were of their time, as were Connery's shiny suits and Moore's flairs and safari jackets.
Brosnan's Brioni suits'll probably look just as naff in twenty years.

#21 Kronsteen

Kronsteen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 418 posts

Posted 03 February 2002 - 03:36 PM

It would have been better if Lazenby had stayed for a few more films, because I rather see him than Roger Moore as James Bond. It would have been made more seroius Bond films for some years, instead of making a more fun script. Roger Moore was a little bit to much, but Connery and Lazenby (my favourites) where perfect.

Lazenbys decision must have been one of the biggest mistake ever in the film history! I feel so sorry for him.

#22 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 29 June 2001 - 07:18 PM

Watch OHMSS!

#23 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 29 June 2001 - 07:39 PM

I watched OHMSS on Monday, I do love it even if lazenby is slated. I think I may watch MOONRAKER tonight.

#24 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 29 June 2001 - 07:44 PM

hmm... Moonraker, OHMSS & DAF I've got a sneaking suspiscion that Mr Trump won't be getting any sleep tonight.

#25 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 29 June 2001 - 07:54 PM

Look's like we're going to have to watch them all! What a shame! :)

#26 WhitePersian

WhitePersian

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 June 2001 - 10:08 AM

George Lazenby had actually been paid an advance on his salary to return in DAF, which he returned after being convinced by his "friend", Ronan O' Something-or-other that Bond was passe and Easy Rider was the future of movies.

D'oh!

#27 Victor Zokas

Victor Zokas

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 07 April 2002 - 12:11 PM

I personally think that whenever somone comes to the role of 007, it's better for the series if they stay awhile. The continuity at times has been terrible. The Blofeld trilogy couldn't have been handled worse, with 007 and Blofeld changing for each movie.

#28 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 30 June 2001 - 11:59 AM

They also signed an American called John Gavin for DAF before getting connery to return.

#29 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 30 June 2001 - 02:05 PM

I'm glad they didn't get an American to play Bond.

#30 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 30 June 2001 - 08:48 PM

I don't know if there is any truth to this, but I recently read a James Bond trivia page that stated that George Lazenby was originally contracted to do seven Bond films, that would take him up to For Your Eyes only I believe, It also stated that it was originally intended for Bond to get married to Tracy at the end of OHMSS and have her get killed by Blofeld in the pretitle sequence of Diamonds Are Forever so that the plot of that film would be a "revenge story".