This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

The Skyfall Gunbarrel

796 replies to this topic

Poll: The Gunbarrel - where do we want it? Be careful, your vote is public...

Would you rather the Gunbarrel be?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#751 Mr Teddy Bear

Mr Teddy Bear

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1154 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:20 AM

Seen the Quantum of Solace one recently?

#752 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

I did like Skyfall's design better than Quantum's, but I still feel like they should go back to the design used for the Brosnan films. It was the classic, iconic look but with a modern edge. Perhaps just do a new render of it (even though it's aged very well for something done in 1995). I echo the sentiment that it was mildly disappointing that after all the marketing heavily featured the classic gun barrel that that particular design of it wasn't spared for the film.

I really liked Craig's pose and they could easily keep it for his future films, but someone mentioned earlier in the thread that Bond is wearing the gray suit from Istanbul (confirming Mendes' intention to place it at the beginning). That makes me think they'll redo it with either a dark suit or a tuxedo for Craig's next film.

In that case, Craig will be the only Bond actor to shoot a new gun barrel for each film (unless they spare Bond 24's for Bond 25 and any more Craig might do after that). Connery technically only shot one, but counting the original Bob Simmons one that's two for Connery's tenure. Lazenby obviously only shot one. Moore shot two, Dalton one, and Pierce one.

#753 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:42 PM

In that case, Craig will be the only Bond actor to shoot a new gun barrel for each film (unless they spare Bond 24's for Bond 25 and any more Craig might do after that). Connery technically only shot one, but counting the original Bob Simmons one that's two for Connery's tenure. Lazenby obviously only shot one. Moore shot two, Dalton one, and Pierce one.

Certainly. Kinda weird changing the design each film, but apparently we're doing so now. 

#754 Ernst Stavro Blofeld Jr.

Ernst Stavro Blofeld Jr.

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

I like a new shot being done for every film.  I wouldn't care if he did the same pose every time, but redoing it every film is something simple to do and helps keep things fresh.  I hated seeing Moore in flares in AVTAK or Connery looking young in a hat in DAF.  Even Brosnan looked different in DAD, and that was only seven years later.  I really wish they would use the design from the poster though.

#755 Satorious

Satorious

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 470 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

I'd almost certainly refilm it personally. Poor Mr Craig still needs his proper gun-barrel (QOS was too quick, SF was bland and filmed far too close to the camera - I don't think either flow naturally). I thought his final shooting stance from CR was very good indeed though. So I'm all for this re-filming of an individual gun-barrel idea - perhaps setting-up the tone for the movie.

#756 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

A billion dollars with the gun barrel at the end.  Was it really worth 26 pages of "controversy".

#757 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:34 PM

A billion dollars with the gun barrel at the end.  Was it really worth 26 pages of "controversy".

I Lol'd.

#758 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:16 AM

Bit sad, innit? Still worth it!

#759 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

Yes. I bet it would have made $2 billion if it had been a proper James Bond film.

;)

#760 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

I Lol'd.

I'm glad SKYFALL has reached to the billion dollars because I'm not a SKYFALL basher. Still, I can look beyond the box-office success and still think it'd have suited better with the gunbarrel at the beginning, just like the 70% of people here.

#761 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

Completely agree. I don't really think we need 26 pages of bitching for 5 seconds of movie.

#762 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

Completely agree. I don't really think we need 26 pages of bitching for 5 seconds of movie.

While I wish It could have been at the beginning, you're right.

#763 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

I Lol'd.

I'm glad SKYFALL has reached to the billion dollars because I'm not a SKYFALL basher. Still, I can look beyond the box-office success and still think it'd have suited better with the gunbarrel at the beginning, just like the 70% of people here.

You're assuming every member here has voted in the poll. I think if everyone who ever registered here voted the results would be different. I'm not saying it would be radically different, but I think it would be closer to fifty/fifty.

#764 Satorious

Satorious

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 470 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

If you asked the general public or casual fan which they preferred - I'd suspect you'd get an even higher skew saying "at the beginning". Then again if you asked how many actually noticed it was at the end, you'd probably get a high number of people who didn't notice either way...

Edited by Satorious, 02 January 2013 - 05:36 PM.

#765 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

It all depends on the choice, like you said, if you asked "At the beginning?" then they'd say yes. Of course if you asked "Does it bother you that it wasn't at the beginning?" You'd likely get a different result as well.

#766 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

Here's to another 26 pages. :D

#767 When In Egypt

When In Egypt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

I think the gun barrel should be at the beginning where it belongs, and the reason for that - apart from the obvious - is that the ending of each new Bond movie should have a cool little sequence of its own.  And that cool sequence should be ...

JAMES BOND WILL RETURN

It's about time this famous sentence had a proper place in the Bond movies.  Right after the last shot of the film, we should see a fantastic little graphic design using the above sentence, along with the opening stabs of the Bond theme or whatever appropriate motif the title song might have.  And this sequence will appear like clockwork at the end of every Bond movie before the closing credits.

I know 'James Bond Will Return' appeared after the Skyfall gun barrel underneath the 50th Anniversary logo, but to be frank it looked rubbish.

What do you think, Bond chums?

#768 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

At the beginning where it belongs.

#769 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

Hey guys, I found the DVD version of the gunbarrel on Youtube.

#770 When In Egypt

When In Egypt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

I do like that pose.  There's a touch of Moore about it.

#771 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

Interesting, I got more of a Dalton vibe from it.

#772 When In Egypt

When In Egypt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

Interesting, I got more of a Dalton vibe from it.

It's the left hand.  Moore did a ton of publicity shots throughout his tenure with his left hand doing that sticky-outy thing.

#773 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

I guess a DVD copy got leaked onto torrent sites, so that's where the video most likely came from. Makes sense with the DVD release a month away.

#774 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

Compared to the other Bond's, therefore SC, GL, RM, TM and last but not least PB, this is simply the worst Bond walk and shoot I have ever seen!!!!

Absolutely rotten and believe me, DC could have done bloody better.

Gun-barrel sucks too.

After 50 years surely they could have done it better!

#775 PeteNeon

PeteNeon

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 406 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

It somehow looks a lot worse in that video, more amateur than I thought it was. I like the pose, but the barrel looks like something from YouTube, especially the spinning light reflections. The first Kleinman one is very similar but much better at emulating the Binder style.

#776 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

I prefer the one in QOS. DC did it much better albeit too fast for my liking.

#777 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

Not only should it have been at the beginning, but if you notice that the gun barrel scene, you can see Craig's right hand holding the gun. It has been a tradition, even including Quantum of Solace, that the hand holding the gun is out of view until Bond fires the gun. But meh, he's beaten the record of how many gun barrels a Bond actor can do, so no point in doing it a fourth time. They might as well just keep this one.

#778 00Dalton

00Dalton

Recruit

• Crew
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

something I threw together because amongst other things the music not being timed with the gun barrel annoys me.

#779 Ernst Stavro Blofeld Jr.

Ernst Stavro Blofeld Jr.

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 213 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

Its private.

#780 DABOY

DABOY

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

This one's really good. It's been edited to use only parts of the Skyfall score

Edited by DABOY, 07 January 2013 - 10:29 PM.