This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

The Skyfall Gunbarrel

796 replies to this topic

Poll: The Gunbarrel - where do we want it? Be careful, your vote is public...

Would you rather the Gunbarrel be?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#661 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:31 PM

One thing I definitely liked about this gun barrel that I didn't mention yet is Craig's turn and shoot. Much better than the Quantum one. Craig is also the first Bond actor to have filmed three different gun barrels. Roger filmed two and technically Sean only filmed one, but two if you count the Bob Simmons original.

I'm guessing next time they'll reuse the Skyfall one though, as it's the first "proper" one Craig has filmed and was filmed with the intention of being at the beginning. Proper pacing and a great stance compared to Quantum's quick walk.

#662 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

I could see them reshooting the gunbarrel again for BOND 24, as SKYFALL's ends on a very distinct freeze frame aimed at almost giving the impression of a Bond silhouette as we head into the 50th anniversary logo. I think the effect may look a bit odd at the start of the movie.

#663 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:42 PM

Was it just me who thought Craig wore a very bored and uninterested expression on his face as he did the walk before turning and shooting?

Other than that i loved the turn and shoot, and the pose he held with one arm held out to the side.

Edited by PPK_19, 13 November 2012 - 03:43 PM.

#664 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

I could see them reshooting the gunbarrel again for BOND 24, as SKYFALL's ends on a very distinct freeze frame aimed at almost giving the impression of a Bond silhouette as we head into the 50th anniversary logo. I think the effect may look a bit odd at the start of the movie.

True, but that was an after effect (turning him to the silhouette and fading). They could easily use the exact same gun barrel and just freeze him when he shoots and move it back and forth like the old gun barrels. That'd be an easy fix.

#665 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

Another thing I didn't like (besides the placement at the end) was the fact that Bond's wearing the grey suit from Istanbul. He should wear dark colours in the gunbarrel sequence.

#666 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

That's right, I forgot he was wearing the gray suit. Never mind what I said before then, Vauxhall's right. They'll likely re-shoot it next time around. Craig is certainly busy with the gun barrels.

#667 mrevans

mrevans

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:52 PM

I miss it at the beginning even though Skyfall's opening was still neat. I feel like they've struggled over the last few films about what to do with it. I'm completely fine with CR's version as it made sense in context of the film. Putting it at the end for QOS or Skyfall doesn't feel as iconic or smooth. It's feels like it's just thrown in as an afterthought. I know its kind of a gimmick anyway but I find it to be endearing at the front of a Bond movie. It always used to give me that exciting feeling of "and we're back".

#668 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

I agree, I think it belongs in the beginning because it always has been that way.

#669 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:36 AM

I want the gunbarrel at the beginning. The argument I see people using now about "the reboot is full circle" was the same argument I saw after QoS had it at the end. "He's the Bond we know now blah blah blah." Can't happen twice.

It's a sequence that has almost nothing at all to do with the actual films. Just because it is in the beginning doesn't damage the film at all, same with being at the end. It's just preference. The poll is hilarious, someone clearly needs to take a step back and do something else not related to Bond for awhile...

#670 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:14 AM

Well it actually does make sense at the end for this film. Though as this is the non-spoiler section I'll leave it at that.

#671 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:42 AM

Well it actually does make sense at the end for this film. Though as this is the non-spoiler section I'll leave it at that.

Yeah, it makes sense from the right perspective, but I don't think it would have taken away from the "end moments" had it not been there, not for me anyway. I can appreciate what they were trying to "convey," but in all honesty I just want it at the beginning again. Not a big deal, just my preference.

#672 Fan

Fan

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

In regards to the music cue which hasn't been discussed much yet, I'm surprised it worked with

Spoiler

I was, too, but I'm glad it didn't do the awful thing from the Eurobond era where it jumped to the end of the (already horribly mangled) theme.

#673 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

In regards to the music cue which hasn't been discussed much yet, I'm surprised it worked with

Spoiler

I was, too, but I'm glad it didn't do the awful thing from the Eurobond era where it jumped to the end of the (already horribly mangled) theme.

Yes, thank you, I too noticed David Arnold bungled it on TND and TWINE.

#674 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:14 AM

The theater I saw the film in last night turned on the lights literally as soon as the white dots from the gun barrel hit. Friday night in a different theater it wasn't a problem, but here it certainly took away from it when the lights were on and people weren't even paying attention. Before the gun barrel was like a little burst of excitement. Like David Arnold said, in those 20 seconds potentially the best Bond ever is about to begin. Now the audience could care less which is a shame, as it does work well at the end of this film. That's the main reason I hope it'll finally be back in place next time around.

#675 A Kristatos

A Kristatos

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:41 PM

The theater I saw the film in last night turned on the lights literally as soon as the white dots from the gun barrel hit. Friday night in a different theater it wasn't a problem, but here it certainly took away from it when the lights were on and people weren't even paying attention. Before the gun barrel was like a little burst of excitement. Like David Arnold said, in those 20 seconds potentially the best Bond ever is about to begin. Now the audience could care less which is a shame, as it does work well at the end of this film. That's the main reason I hope it'll finally be back in place next time around.

Having seen the film two weeks ago, I neglected to comment on the gunbarrel placement until now. Having been very critical of it's placement at the end of the film again as demonstrated by my earlier posts, I now have to admit that the gunbarrel worked very well at the end, especially following the last scene of the movie. That said though, the gunbarrel still would have worked just as well at the beginning, and now that things are set up nicely for Bond 24, let's hope the next movie begins with the gunbarrel where it rightfully belongs.

And also regarding my earlier posts, I had seen several posters here who not only appeared to be tired of the gunbarrel appearing at the beginning, some actually seemed adamant that it never be used at the beginning again! And they made it sound like the vast majority of the core Bond fans were tired of it at the beginning too.

Well, let's just say I feel vindicated that I am not the only one who wants to see it back in its rightful place for Bond 24, as the poll results show! :D

Edited by A Kristatos, 23 November 2012 - 11:42 PM.

#676 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

I don't think anyone bothered to read what that particular poll option said, as it's quite sarcastic and kind of puts down those who want the gunbarrel at the beginning.

#677 A Kristatos

A Kristatos

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:54 AM

I don't think anyone bothered to read what that particular poll option said, as it's quite sarcastic and kind of puts down those who want the gunbarrel at the beginning.

I understand the poll is sarcastic, but with only two choices (and the second one more to the point), I think most who chose the first really did want the gunbarrel at the beginning.

But irregardless of the poll, I still believe most hard core Bond fans want it at the beginning. But before anyone asks me again, no, I did not take any points off my review of the movie because the gunbarrel was at the end. :)

#678 EyesOnly

EyesOnly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:33 AM

While watching the gunbarrel during the quick behind the scenes clip, it looked like we would get a quick and violent (quite awesome looking) turn and shoot. I was somewhat disappointed by the end result. Anyone else see what I mean?

#679 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:37 AM

After CR and QOS I could care less where the gun barrel is as long as its there, but while its been at the end they might as well keep it their IMO and that is what I suspect they'll do until Craig is done with the role. It can be his 'thing.' Without using spoilers its kind of hard to explain why I think they might as well leave it at the end. I also do not think they will re-use gun barrel's anymore, but film a new one each time. I don't understand why anyone cares anymore, after CR and then of course QOS the damage is done.

#680 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:02 AM

The opening burst of Bond theme with Craig walking up to the camera screamed 'Bond movie'. As did the remainder of what followed. The gun barrel worked fine at the end, given the context of the last few scenes.

#681 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

The opening burst of Bond theme with Craig walking up to the camera screamed 'Bond movie'. As did the remainder of what followed. The gun barrel worked fine at the end, given the context of the last few scenes.

I do agree with you, but I'm also with 00 Brosnan - had the gun barrel been at the beginning, do you think people would complain about how much better it would have worked after the final scene? It makes sense here, as 00 Brosnan said, from the right perspective, but I agree with him that the end moments would not have been ruined either way.

#682 B5Erik

B5Erik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 465 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

When I go to a Bond movie I'd really like to see the gunbarrel shot right away - it's like announcing, "THIS IS A FREAKING JAMES BOND MOVIE, SO GET READY FOR SOMETHING COOL!"

#683 Satorious

Satorious

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 470 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:44 PM

I'm still at a loss to understand Mendes' "we couldn't make it work at the start" comment.

The gun-barrel opens on a beautiful wide opening shot of Istanbul which would ideally end up focusing on the building (or it could be two establishing shots). Cut to first scene of Bond coming down the corridor (perhaps slightly trimmed at the start). For the final scene, have the Bond theme blasting to "James Bond will return" and the 50th Anniversary logo. For me this works better, but maybe that's just me...

#684 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:56 PM

I'm still at a loss to understand Mendes' "we couldn't make it work at the start" comment.

The gun-barrel opens on a beautiful wide opening shot of Istanbul which would ideally end up focusing on the building (or it could be two establishing shots). Cut to first scene of Bond coming down the corridor (perhaps slightly trimmed at the start). For the final scene, have the Bond theme blasting to "James Bond will return" and the 50th Anniversary logo. For me this works better, but maybe that's just me...

Same here. The opening shot is very good, but the gunbarrel is... bonder.

#685 A Kristatos

A Kristatos

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:59 PM

Same here. The opening shot is very good, but the gunbarrel is... bonder.

Ditto from me as well. :)

#686 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:18 AM

Mendes obviously wanted the movie starting with the hallway shot and didn't want to sacrifice it. So, all the power to the film maker's vision.

#687 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:45 AM

Gun-barrel at the beginning. Always, and I mean ALWAYS, elevates the heart-rate slightly. We wait two or three years for each new Bond movie (sometimes longer) and when the white dots skip across the screen, you know exactly where you are.

#688 roger no more

roger no more

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:58 AM

Agree! Because we are die heart fans not those blind heart fans.
blind heart fans try to remove all important 007 elements even the james bond theme..in this way why still need to watch James Bond movie?

#689 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

The only complaint if I need to have one about Skyfall was the lazy gun barrel. The QOS one reminded me of DN for some reason and I loved it. PB still has the best opening ever.

#690 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

Well it is nice that we get that shot of Bond walking out into the sunlight and we suddenly realise we're in Istanbul.